Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So who was the best Tiger, that wasn't much of a pro guy?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

So who was the best Tiger, that wasn't much of a pro guy?

Sep 8, 2015, 7:57 PM

I'm thinking of guys that were blowing up the scene at clemson, and went on to the NFL to have pretty quiet/back-up/jump around type careers. Jacoby Ford immediately comes to my mind. He really hasn't stuck anywhere in the NFL and hasn't really put up big numbers.

What about you guys?
Maybe even anyone who has suffered from bad teams/coaches in the NFL, like CJ. I mean I still can't understand why they held him back so much in Buffalo.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So who was the best Tiger, that wasn't much of a pro guy?

Sep 8, 2015, 7:59 PM

So far Boyd. Great Tiger. Not much of a pro- yet

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dang. That stings just because I didnt even think of him.

Sep 8, 2015, 8:00 PM

nnm

Sep 8, 2015, 8:00 PM

Woody

Woody***

Sep 8, 2015, 8:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Banks McFadden***

Sep 8, 2015, 8:04 PM

Greatest athlete of all time at Clemson, 1 yr in pros.

Sep 8, 2015, 8:08 PM

Not sure how there'd be a better answer than that.

Sep 8, 2015, 8:07 PM

Bowers.
McDaniel.
James Davis.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Sep 8, 2015, 8:18 PM

James Davis

Justin Niller, Ty Hill***

Sep 8, 2015, 8:37 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of my all-time favorites, Bubba Brown..........

Sep 8, 2015, 8:51 PM

Article from 1999:

#23 Bubba Brown, LB (1976-79)
Marlon "Bubba" Brown is the all-time leading tackler in Clemson history. When you review the lengendary list of linebackers who have played for Clemson, that is quite a statement. This year he is finally getting his due with his inclusion on this list, and next week when he is inducted into the Clemson Hall of Fame.

It has taken a while for Brown to get his due simply because of the great teammates Brown had in his era (1976-79). Of the four players now in the Clemson Ring of Honor, three played on Clemson's 1978 team. But, a look at the statistics tells us that Brown was the team's top tackler, a ferocious hitter and enthusiastic player.

Two games stand out in his career. In 1978 Clemson traveled to Raleigh for an ACC showdown with NC State. NC State was promoting their Brown, running back Ted, for the Heisman Trophy. He had riddled Clemson for four touchdowns and 227 yards rushing three seasons earlier.

Although the national media did not portray the game as a "Battle of the Browns" (Clemson also had running back Lester Brown), Bubba took the confrontation as a personal challenge. By the end of the game, Bubba had 17 tackles and had held Ted Brown under 100 yards rushing, and out of the endzone. When Sports Illustrated was released the next week, it was Bubba who caught the national headlines with his selection as National Defensive Player of the Week.

Clemson finished the 1978 season with a 10-1 record and was chosen to play Ohio State in the Gator Bowl on national television. Clemson won the historic game ,17-15. Again, the pregame headlines were all about Danny Ford's first game as head coach and his meeting with future Hall of Fame mentor Woody Hayes. Brown personally stymied the Ohio State rushing game with 22 tackles, still the second highest single game total in Clemson history.

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those who never had the opportunity to see....

Sep 8, 2015, 9:16 PM

him play, here's some more detail. The reason he is one of my all-time favorites has nothing to do with football, but has to do with a personal encounter with Bubba my freshman year. He was the ultimate over achiever, and took time to instill that attitude in a scared young student throughout that first year in 1978-79. I wasn't a football player, and he wasn't obligated in any way to approach me that first day on campus.

Bubba, it's been 37 years, and I have never forgotten. You taught me something that carried me through, not only Clemson, but the rest of my adult life. Thanks for everything.

By Brian Hennessy

BUBBA BROWN
Football, 1976-79

Bubba Brown always seemed to be in the right place at the right time. The 6-0, 210 lb. linebacker totaled 515 tackles in four seasons, more than any other Tiger in history. That record has stood for 20 years, quite an accomplishment considering that 11 Tiger linebackers since then have gone on to play in the NFL. Thanks to his accomplishments, he was one of just three linebackers to be named to the Clemson Centennial Team.

Marlon Edward Brown, 41, came to Clemson from Loudon, TN, where he was not heavily recruited, weighing 230 pounds. He quickly lost 25 pounds, as he started the last six games as a freshman, finishing with 75 tackles. As a sophomore, Brown had 120 tackles and was well on his way to an outstanding career.

But Brown was still in the shadows of two-time All-ACC linebacker Randy Scott entering his junior season in 1978. He took charge early in the season, and finished with a team-high 148 tackles and first-team All-ACC honors.

Brown posted 22 tackles against Ohio State in the 1978 Gator Bowl to lead the Tigers to a 17-15 win. He also accumulated 22 tackles against N.C. State in 1979. The 22 tackles is tied for the second most in a game by a Tiger.

But perhaps #47's greatest game came earlier in the '78 season at N.C. State. He went up against Heisman candidate and running back Ted Brown. However, it was Bubba Brown who was the star of the game, holding the Wolfpack running back to just 70 yards rushing on 21 carries as Clemson defeated N.C. State 33-10. The Tiger linebacker had 18 tackles to earn National Defensive Player-of-the-Week honors by Sports Illustrated.

Off the field, Brown majored in industrial education. He has carried that knowledge to the classroom, as he is currently a high school teacher and football coach in Michigan.

"Bubba Brown worked as hard as anyone day in and day out," said former Tiger Head Coach Charley Pell. "Bubba was an extremely hard worker on and off the field. He understood how to make up for his lack of size with desire and intensity. That extra perseverance was what made him such a good football player."

In a book written about the 1978 season, Brown is quoted as saying, "A long time after all of us players are gone, they'll still be talking about this Clemson season. And I believe it will be remembered as the beginning of something great for Clemson football. We did more than win a conference championship and a bowl game -- we laid the groundwork for the people who come after us. We proved that Clemson deserves national recognition!"

He was certainly correct. Clemson went on to win the National Championship in 1981 and be a national power in the 80s. It was players like Bubba Brown who helped the Tiger program propel into the national spotlight.

2024 free_orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

James Davis, maybe.

Sep 8, 2015, 8:52 PM

nm

Just for me it's Mcdaniels.

Sep 8, 2015, 9:03 PM

I know his junior year was statist ally better than his senior year, but I just loved the way he played.

I love that he's on staff now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DeAndre McDaniels and Raymond Priester

Sep 8, 2015, 9:07 PM

from back in the day...

I've never understood how McDaniels didn't make a roster.

Dude could lay the wood

And was a ballhawk

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Really surprised Spencer Shuey didn't get picked up.

Sep 8, 2015, 9:05 PM

He definitely had the ability and size. Plus he made the most of his last game ever.

Re: Really surprised Spencer Shuey didn't get picked up.

Sep 9, 2015, 1:06 PM

Definitely not MyfavOrange. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2015, 9:17 PM

HOmer Jordan

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2015, 12:45 PM

Fuller and Whitehurst. Easily the best clemson QBs not currently enrolled and both careers were/are as backups.

Sep 9, 2015, 12:45 PM

Hard to top Woody. Might still be my all time favorite Tiger still, although DW4 closing fast. Justin Miller was a beast as a returner but wasn't a great cover guy, so I kinda understood that. I thought James Davis would have been a stud, Arian Foster type, but I think he got nicked up too much. If I gotta pick one, Woody.

Sep 9, 2015, 12:59 PM

A Kelly and A Curie come to mind.
Both great Tigers but neither played in the NFL. I think Kelly has the ACC record for most catches all time.

Tajh... too soon??????***

Sep 9, 2015, 1:07 PM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic