Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, what kept Boyd from being a Heisman finalist last year?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

So, what kept Boyd from being a Heisman finalist last year?

Jul 2, 2013, 10:54 AM

Had a few picks, but other than that we had 10 wins.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, what kept Boyd from being a Heisman finalist last year?

Jul 2, 2013, 10:56 AM

He needs a signature win during the season. If Tajh wins 11 games this year he should be invited to the event. He will have the necessary "big" win.

Manzel vs Bama.

Liability Cola by CU_Tigers_time is now trending on Tnet.

A few games he only played 3 qtrs

Jul 2, 2013, 11:01 AM

Re: A few games he only played 3 qtrs

Jul 2, 2013, 12:23 PM

He wasn't a finalist for one because he didn't deserve to be. For another, the other finalists had better years. Manziel led his team way beyond expectations in their first year in the SEC and he had a signature win on a big stage against the best team in the country.

Teo was a great story all year and he anchored a defense that carried ND to an undefeated season and spot in the national championship game.

Klein was the steady hand who led another over-achieving team, K State to a banner year. He also benefitted from back to back solid seasons. He rushed for 49 touchdowns over the last two years. He had better numbers last year, but he also had a better supporting cast in '11.

Tajh did his best work early and up until the bowl game, his productivity steadily dropped. The usc-e game may not have been his fault, but losing cost him the slim chance he may have had.

Jul 2, 2013, 1:53 PM

You're incorrect about his productivity dropping in the second half of the year.

First six games average:
291.33 ypg, 69.15%, 2.33 TD, 0.83 INT, 0.33 rushing TD

Second six games (inc SC):
300.33 ypg, 63.5%, 3.33 TD, 1.33 INT, 1.167 rushing TD

Excluding SC:
323.8 ypg, 67%, 3.8 TD, 1.2 INT, 1.2 rushing TD

Ultimately, it was his failure to perform against SC which cost him the trip to NYC. If he gave similar numbers as he did against FSU for the South Carolina game, he would have definitely been up tehre. Even then, I think he was a better QB than Colin Klein.

Jul 2, 2013, 2:00 PM

Klein had 2 interceptions all year. Tajh had 13, 2 against usc-e vs 1 TD. I think you're right about the usc-e game costing him the invitation, but I still think his performance dipped. Looking at the last 6 games is misleading because 10 of his 18 TDs came against Wake and Duke. Duke is better than they have been, but they're still Duke and Wake isn't what they were. In the shootout against State, he had 5 TDs vs 2 ints. We all remember how much defense wasn't played in that game.

BTW, for QBs, it's all about wins and losses. If we'd won the usc-e game, he might have gotten on the list, but if he just had better stats, even 300 yards passing, that would not have been enough.

Jul 2, 2013, 2:26 PM

Actually, Colin Klein had 9 INTs in 2012, while only throwing 16 TDs in the air (http://espn.go.com/college-football/player/gamelog/_/id/381823/collin-klein). He had 23 rushing TDs.

Here's the total breakdown (including bowl games):

Colin Klein: 2,641 passing yard, 39 total TDs, 9 INT, 64.8% completion, 920 rushing yards, QB Rating 149.2
Tajh Boyd: 3,896 passing yards, 46 total TDs, 13 INT, 67.2% completion, 514 rushing yards, QB Rating 165.6

I get what you're saying against getting big numbers vs Duke and Wake...but he also only played 3 quarters against them and I believe only 3 against NC State too. In the end, I'd take Tajh.

We arent in the SEC***

Jul 2, 2013, 10:57 AM

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2013, 11:02 AM

He had not beaten a team ranked in the top 50 by the time finalists were decided....that's why.

He didn't be #1 ranked Alabama on National TV....***

Jul 2, 2013, 11:06 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: He didn't be #1 ranked Alabama on National TV....***

Jul 2, 2013, 11:09 AM

He. Hadn't beat the gamecocks

Re: He didn't be #1 ranked Alabama on National TV....***

Jul 2, 2013, 1:24 PM

I don't recall any QB being invited with 3 losses. Feel free to correct me.....

3 Letters, A, C, & C.***

Jul 2, 2013, 11:09 AM

ESPN***

Jul 2, 2013, 11:21 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2013, 11:24 AM

This is a legitimate question but to be taken seriously you would have to look at it based on facts rather than emotion.

Clemson fans see 2 years of on paper the most wins in school history in back to back years so he must be a Heisman finalist.

Manziel had the Bama win and others were noticed nationally. This year the schedule sets Clemson up for success!

Factually there were no wins over teams in the top 50. Wins have added up but this is where the ACC continuously hurts teams like Clemson FSU due to the rest of the league not getting any respect.

Had the league not expanded to get Pitt and Louisville who is a media darling now, Clemson would have been turning into Boise St, wins in lots of games but who are they due to the schedule not showing the nation anything.

lose the emotion and think nationally. Now this year with UGA and USC being expected to have good years, and FSU, Clemson has a great shot of playing to the national crowd by knocking out a tougher schedule than in the past. Clemson has played UGA plenty but when did a win against the ACC and a season ending win against a bad USC team count for anything.

This year sets up for so much due to UGA and USC having a good runs and FSU always getting respect. Beat those 3 and no more complaining for Clemson fans, national champ and Heisman chances!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, I guess the FSU win would have helped. But let's say

Jul 2, 2013, 11:57 AM

we won that one, but dropped another one instead, would it have mattered?

I agree with some of your points (not all) but you are dead

Jul 2, 2013, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So, what kept Boyd from being a Heisman finalist last year? ]

wrong about the Boise St comment. There's no way Clemson gets put into that category.

The loss to Sakerlina honestly

Jul 2, 2013, 11:25 AM

if he had great numbers and a win in that game he would've been in NYC

And not winning the ACC****

Jul 2, 2013, 12:38 PM

Re: And not winning the ACC****

Jul 2, 2013, 2:53 PM

Probably could've done one or the other and gotten the invite, would've had to do both to have a shot at winning.

I'm sure a big win and more ESPN coverage would have helped

Jul 2, 2013, 12:05 PM

It's a shame Auburn hit bottom.

I'm not in any disagreement over that. It's just that in the past we have had candidates with great numbers, but not a team record high enough to keep a candidate there.

Problem is since ESPN bought the sec product, they make all their games out to be marquee games. *L*

Jul 2, 2013, 12:31 PM

13 int and the fact he was the 2nd best player we had on offense.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tigrbybirth..

Jul 2, 2013, 12:57 PM

Your Tajh assessment kinda sucks. He had 14 TD passes in the first half of the season and 20 in the second half...including 3 games with 5 TD's. There was no "steady decline".

Re: Tigrbybirth..

Jul 2, 2013, 1:49 PM

You might want to take off the orange colored glasses. I think the world of Tajh, but don't think he made the grade to be a Heisman finalist last year. Yes, he did have 20 TD passes in the last half of the season, but 2 were against LSU after the finalists were determined. 10 were against Wake and Duke and another 5 were in the NC State shootout where he also had 2 picks.

His performance didn't dip 2nd half this season quite as much as it did in '11, but even 5 TDs don't look good against duke when you have 3 picks. The one game where he faced a quality defense in the 2nd half of the season, he had 2 picks against only 1 TD.

It might have been more correct to point to less productive performances against lesser teams. His average QB rating for the season was 165, but against Auburn, Fla. St., Va Tech, usc-e, and LSU he was 126, 133, 127, 107, and 143 respectively. By contrast, Klein was coming off a 176 against Texas and he had just 2 interceptions all season.

Re: Tigrbybirth..

Jul 2, 2013, 2:01 PM

eager to hear you explain how I'm wearing orange glasses by pointing out stats.
And, no, the 20 TD's did not include the LSU game. 22 if you include that game.
I'm not saying that he should have gone to NY...I don't think he should have. But, you didn't accurately portray his year. There was no steady decline in his numbers. None. Whatsoever. He had more Rushing TD's in the second half, as well.

Now, my orange colored glassess...explain.

He lost the 2 biggest games of the year

Jul 2, 2013, 1:44 PM

A win against FSU or USC and he is invited. I win against them both and he wins it. The same holds for this year.

Re: He lost the 2 biggest games of the year

Jul 2, 2013, 1:54 PM

That might be true. If Clemson wins against FSU, Tajh is getting lots of coverage all season. If our defense plays better against the #####, he gets more chances on offense and perhaps our play calling is more conservative. I still wonder whether Manzeil's performance against Bama on that stage might have gotten him the award regardless. Perhaps since he's a freshman, Tajh would have gotten the nod for quarterbacking Clemson to the national title game.

An interesting question is still who plays for the national championship if Clemson had beaten both usc-e and FSU. It's not a slam dunk either way. It could have been any two from the Bama, ND, Clemson group. There would have been complaints, but any of 2 from those 3 would have been legit.

Keep in mind that the Heisman finalists were announced

Jul 2, 2013, 1:50 PM

nearly a month prior to the LSU game. That was Tajh's signature game of the season, and prior to that he had nice numbers but lost against the only two good teams we played.

we didnt beat USuC and threw way too many INTs esp vs Duke***

Jul 2, 2013, 1:52 PM

I think "way too many" is a bit of a stretch...***

Jul 2, 2013, 2:51 PM

Jul 2, 2013, 1:55 PM

what's with all the rational fans on here today. This thread actually has thoughtful statements and observations. That's not allowed on the internet

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic