Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So we won the game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

So we won the game

May 4, 2014, 5:11 PM

Of course nobody on here had anything to say about it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that it is just a little too late. Hard to get

May 4, 2014, 5:38 PM

excited.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

plus UNLV is unranked. And there are several posts below charting our

May 4, 2014, 5:54 PM

growing lead as the game progressed, so I'm not sure what the OP was getting at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

But, #26 RPI***

May 4, 2014, 5:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: plus UNLV is unranked.***

May 4, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to plus UNLV is unranked. And there are several posts below charting our ]

unlv and high point are ranked higher in the rpi than us right now. better win all we can against these teams.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

most days there ain't much going on in my head

May 4, 2014, 6:31 PM [ in reply to plus UNLV is unranked. And there are several posts below charting our ]

and today is one of those days :)
just postin the score with nothing in mind

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So we won the game

May 4, 2014, 5:45 PM

It's a little hard to get too excited about beating a team you should beat based on highly superior talent after watching your team lose every single series they've played against good teams. So while it's nice they put together a win, staving off elimination from post-season consideration, it's nothing to throw a party about. They did what they are supposed to do. Nothing more.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So I guess all of those teams you spoke of that we

May 4, 2014, 5:56 PM

lost those series to had "a hard time getting excited" about taking those series from us because they had "superior talent"? If NC State is ranked ahead of us, every series we have lost this year has been to teams that somebody thinks is better than us. And all but State have been in the Top 15 at some time during the year. Oh well, whatever excites you.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So I guess all of those teams you spoke of that we

May 4, 2014, 5:59 PM

We've played 4 series against good teams, 5 if you count ncstate. Miami , scar, fsu, uva. How many did we win against them???? Tell me how we should be excited about beating a less talented unlv team we should beat all day every day, when we've proven we can't win against good teams. When we allow ourselves to tolerate what was once unacceptable for our program, we promote it's continuance. The bottom line is this is no longer anywhere close to an elite program, and it's our fault for not holding our staff accountable for not winning anything of importance in recent memory. We all love the Tigers, but we shouldn't get excited about doing what we should.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Another way of saying what you just said would be

May 4, 2014, 6:07 PM

to say the #1 team in the country should never get excited about beating any other team in the country just "because they are supposed to". Regardless of our record or who we are playing, I always feel pride and excitement that our record just got one win better. Sure , I would have liked to beat those 4 highly ranked teams a few more times but because we don't have "highly superior" talent, I guess we should have expected that outcome.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Another way of saying what you just said would be

May 4, 2014, 6:09 PM

I agree with you to a degree and perhaps have overstated my point. Pride in the accomplishment of the team, yes. Overjoyed excitement about one mediocre win in a season of disappointment and unfulfilled potential, no. But yes you are correct regarding a general pride in a success.

May 4, 2014, 7:39 PM

But all the potential in college baseball still lays in front of this team. It has been a disappointing year but we know the pieces are here.

May 4, 2014, 9:15 PM

I agree wholly on potential. I guess I just haven't been inspired by our ability of late to develop players. Look at our pitching. Noone, and I mean NOONE reliable outta the pen. Campbell is pretty good but he's not the shutdown guy his era would seem to indicate. Aside from him it's a complete cluster. Someone might be good one day but then not be able to throw a strike for 5 straight batters. It's frustrating seeing us unable to get anything out of these guys. If Pep is still around after this season, he must know where a body or two are buried.

As for hitting, bradley can surely recruit with the best, but I've seen no indication that he can coach hitters as his title would seem to necessitate. Our approach at the plate is maddening.

May 4, 2014, 9:36 PM

I'm with you on the pitching though I might have a slightly higher opinion of Campbell. Would love to know where he has been the last two weeks.

But I think the hitting is better than it's getting credit for. They are first in the ACC in average and second in runs. #2 in slugging and #1 in hits. The problem is we're twelfth in walks. FSU, who we're at the top in all the hitting categories with, is first. A little more patience would pay huge dividends. We're hitting the ball a lot better than last year. Maybe to have that break out we needed to swing away a little more. But here down the stretch the guys should have some confidence and reign it in a little.

May 4, 2014, 9:43 PM

Good points. Campbell is certainly capable of dominating. I worry with his lack of reliable control, if his fastball isn't hitting the spots, he's walking guys and getting himself in trouble. His fastball is good but not so good that he can Kimbrel through a good lineup though.

The hitting has good statistics but the actual on field results in games against good pitching don't show those stats to manifest in a dependable reality though. We're so bad with RISP that it mars the batting average stats in particular. The lack of walks is def a problem, with duggar and wilkerson (and kennedy) very K susceptible. McGibbon has actually outperformed kennedy on the season (I wouldn't have believed that until I looked at the stats while at the game this weekend), although I think that's due mainly to his speed seemingly having decreased with the injury.

May 4, 2014, 9:49 PM

I believe McGibbon is tied for the lead on homeruns on the team with nearly half the at bats of the regular starters. He clearly has the most power. We really need him back in the lineup but he needs to hit for a better average.

May 4, 2014, 9:56 PM

Yeah I've been wanting him in the lineup since kennedy hasn't been his old self. I was happy for him in the saturday game getting the go ahead hit. I really do hope we can find a groove. Wish I honestly felt like we would. I feel like we're going to have to throw goose and crown until their arms fall off in order to have any shot this postseason.

May 4, 2014, 10:04 PM

The Tanner way. Riding Friday and Saturday starters into the ground and going Johnny Wholestaff on Sunday pretty much won them two titles.

May 4, 2014, 10:43 PM

No question. However I've not seen us manage to put that junkballer out there who manages to mystify everyone at the plate for seemingly 120 innings over 3 days.

May 4, 2014, 5:55 PM

UNLV was 26th in RPI going into this game. Good win. I was at game yesterday and it was nice to see the boys rally. Not much to post about it for multiple reasons. One, the boo birds on here will pounce on any positivity about the baseball team. Two, the outcome of the season is pretty much assured as a 2 or 3 seed - which results in the exact same matchup in the regional (which will probably be SCar). The pieces are all here to make a run, but we haven't really seen it come together yet.

May 4, 2014, 8:34 PM

FIRE Jack!!! :)

May 4, 2014, 9:19 PM

He is a hall of fame coach.We are very very very lucky to have him . Let's Go Jack !!! Let's Go Jack !!!

May 4, 2014, 9:30 PM

good old mikey the coot. a waste of perfectly good skin. what a sad little man you must be

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 4, 2014, 9:30 PM

This is Tigernet. Most would much rather complain about losing or being behind, than winning or being ahead. All you have to do is count the posts.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic