Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So we lose three offensive lineman that started the UGA game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

So we lose three offensive lineman that started the UGA game

Dec 14, 2013, 5:20 PM

for next year? It never seems like we have a particularly good offensive line, yet they are always veteran we are constantly replacing about three of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood

Dec 14, 2013, 5:22 PM

bowdens or dabo's recruiting of OL

Clemson hasn't had a strong OL in yrs, not sure if it's recruiting/development or S/C

something has got to change in the way clemson develops OL or we'll never contend with the big boys

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood

Dec 14, 2013, 5:30 PM

you cant develop OL if you only sign wide receivers. we sign minimal numbers of OL because we have to sign every skill guy we see.

Tommy Sharpe was the last walk on we developed to play OL. You would think we could at least develop one there every few years since we arent exactly recruiting the cream of the OL talent crop.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm guessing dabo will give Giffs scholarship to some walkon

Dec 14, 2013, 5:32 PM

WR from bama

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm guessing dabo will give Giffs scholarship to some walkon

Dec 14, 2013, 5:34 PM

for a minute you had me worried we'd just squander it. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

God, not this again

Dec 14, 2013, 5:34 PM [ in reply to Re: goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

Clemson carries the same # of scholarship O-Linemen as any other team. We did switch 1 DT/OL to OL in Maybank and we switched a 4* TE to LT (which happens all of the time). We recruit the best players possible. Our O-Line was good this year. We lose 3 players but we have the potential to replace them with:

Battle: 4*
Crowder: 4*
Anthony: 3*

How is that bad recruiting? Please explain this to me.

Re: God, not this again

Dec 14, 2013, 5:39 PM

Yeah it was great. a real jugger-not.

Our O-Line played fine

Dec 14, 2013, 5:43 PM

I understand that it's hard to understand football, it's a complicated sport, so every time the Q.B. is sacked, it's got to be on the O-Line. The fact is that a good number of sacks, esp vs South Carolina were coverage sacks because our 5th year senior Q.B., for reasons only known to him, refuses to get rid of the ball on time against good teams. Thomas should have shut Clowney out of the game, but Tajh rolled directly into a sack instead of staying in the pocket.

I'll say our OL played a good game against the coots

Dec 14, 2013, 5:47 PM

but I can also pt to many times in the last 10 yrs we couldn't get that 1st down or that TD on 4th and inches.

true, not always OL, but we don't put ANY OL in nfl.. why is that?

Re: I'll say our OL played a good game against the coots

Dec 14, 2013, 5:56 PM

well if you ever looked anything up instead of blindly spewing your mindless drivel you would see that this year we were 15-25 on 4th down and last year we were 14-18 , both pretty good numbers in my book.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good thing we were 5-5 against el cid...***

Dec 14, 2013, 6:01 PM

What does the last 10 years have to do with this season?

Dec 14, 2013, 6:05 PM [ in reply to I'll say our OL played a good game against the coots ]

I would say our O-Line and O-Line recruiting have improved substantially over the last 4 years. Thomas will play in the N.F.L., we haven't put a LT in the draft over the last 4 years because Thomas has held down that spot.

saying someone will play in NFL is not the same as

Dec 14, 2013, 6:25 PM

playing in nfl. I hope he does, it'll only help

10 yrs sets a trend/pattern of guys not going to nfl. We have lost games in trenches the last 10 yrs while other teams bama/fsu/auburn/etc develop talent and go to next level

why just LT, heck have we had a center since Bostic?

Short memory?

Dec 14, 2013, 6:40 PM

From the release:
Freeman was named a first-team All-American by the American Football Coaches Association last week and has helped the Tigers to a 10-2 record, a number-14 final ranking in the BCS, and a third ACC Atlantic Division Championship in his four years.

Freeman has been a common denominator in the starting lineup at center for those four years, one of just two seniors who can make that claim. The native of Pelion, SC has started 48 consecutive games entering the Tigers Chick-fil-A Bowl game against LSU on December 31. He will tie the school record for total starts when he starts that game.

Freeman was a first-team All-ACC selection at center for the second consecutive year. He is the first Clemson center to make first-team All-American and the first center to make first-team All-ACC twice. He was also a two-time ACC Lineman of the Week this year, one of just two ACC lineman to win that honor twice.

if he in the nfl? that was my pt to the bostic comment

Dec 14, 2013, 7:12 PM

yes, he was a great player at clemson, but is he in the nfl and playing?

if he is, you named 1 since bostic. Not a good track record if you ask me

Re: saying someone will play in NFL is not the same as

Dec 15, 2013, 10:40 AM [ in reply to saying someone will play in NFL is not the same as ]

Kyle Young was a pretty good center

We've actually put a few guys from our OL into the NFL

Dec 14, 2013, 8:30 PM [ in reply to I'll say our OL played a good game against the coots ]

Barry Richardson, Antoine McClain, Chris Hairston, Dalton Freeman, Dustin Fry, Thomas Austin all have been on NFL rosters in the last ten years. Now, that pales in comparison to some other positions, but you can't say we haven't put anybody in the NFL.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our O-Line played fine

Dec 14, 2013, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Our O-Line played fine ]

Clearly you understand very little but hey knock yourself out.

Some people never get it, regardless of how many times

Dec 14, 2013, 6:16 PM [ in reply to God, not this again ]

it is explained. They would like to have 30 offensive and 30 defensive lineman at all times.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly... ppl are just looking for things to gripe about

Dec 14, 2013, 8:10 PM [ in reply to God, not this again ]

The facts be durned.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're thinner at WR than OL right now.***

Dec 14, 2013, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Destefano, Morris, and Crowder weren't shabby recruits

Dec 14, 2013, 6:00 PM [ in reply to goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

but, losing Destefano surely hurts. Don't know why we don't have an all men on deck effort to fill the last slots in the 2014 class with at least a couple of OL though. Agree our priorities seem a little out of whack.

Falcinelli is a decent get this time. But we need one or two more like him.

We don't need anymore fat guys to hold down the bench

Dec 14, 2013, 6:08 PM

Way too late in the game to pick up a big named linemen because there are limited numbers top O-Linemen. We don't cut players, so when you recruit a linemen, it's a 5 year commitment. Next recruiting cycle we have several top rated O-Linemen on the hook, including Hyatt, who will be one of the top ranked in the nation. No need to sign a panic recruit this late in the game.

There are still a number of tackles and linemen on

Dec 14, 2013, 6:22 PM

both sides of the ball that haven't committed. Who says you have to settle for fat bench warmers?

Name some that Clemson has an in with?

Dec 14, 2013, 6:41 PM

You do realize that recruiting is a 2 way street.

Re: There are still a number of tackles and linemen on

Dec 14, 2013, 6:48 PM [ in reply to There are still a number of tackles and linemen on ]

You can't just jump in on most kids in December and expect a commitment in the first month of February. We got that with Ebenezer Ogundeko but we were always on his radar, we just turned up the heat late to get a commitment from another DE.

We aren't able to just call up all the 5 stars and be like "This is Clemson, we want you" and watch them come running. They have to set up visits and everything else and most of these kids are narrowing their lists down to a top 3 or 5, not adding teams. It seems like the only very highly rated kids that we would get at this point that aren't already very high on us are ones that are very late bloomers, athletes that have always been Clemson fans and were waiting on the Clemson offer (see Ben Boulware), or kids that someone else didn't want, whether it was grades, character issues, injury concerns, etc.

Hey, I'm not delusional. But we've been in contact with

Dec 14, 2013, 7:32 PM

a number of kids and even made offers to some who are not committed. I remember reading about one in Va Beach (Norfolk?) over a year ago here in TNet for example. As far as I know he hasn't even made a verbal.

There are bound to be one or two more that are worth chasing hard and wouldn't be 'bench warmers.'

We are fine as far as numbers go on the OL

Dec 14, 2013, 8:09 PM [ in reply to Destefano, Morris, and Crowder weren't shabby recruits ]

That's why we're not recruiting more OL, not because we're inappropriately prioritizing skill position players.

Dec 14, 2013, 6:21 PM [ in reply to goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

Top rated recruit regardless of position in 2015 is a left tackle named Mitch Hyatt and he is widely considered to be a HUGE Clemson lean due to family members who are alumni. I like our chances and that should put to bed a lot of people saying that we can't get a dominant offensive lineman.

Serious question......

Dec 14, 2013, 10:33 PM [ in reply to goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

do you wear panties, and if yes, are you on your monthly?

You should bring in 3 every year, sometimes 4.***

Dec 15, 2013, 8:42 AM [ in reply to goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2013, 10:18 AM [ in reply to goes back to recruiting OL every yr. I've never understood ]

absolutely agree!!IMHO we just do not put the emphasis on O/L recruiting we should. and I am afraid that this very poor recruiting over the years as made it even harder to recruit top O/L.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Im thinkin we lose 2

Dec 14, 2013, 5:27 PM

Thomas an Shatley

Re: Im thinkin we lose 2

Dec 14, 2013, 5:35 PM

plus giff and desteffano due to medical. -4 for next year. I think we have 2 committed

You said uga not scar my bad***

Dec 14, 2013, 5:28 PM

beasley, kalone, thomas, battle, CROWDER, Beasley

Dec 14, 2013, 5:30 PM

Norton, Guillermo..... who am i missing? hate to say it but Gif had no business starting over battle in the UGA game in the first place.

Maverick Morris mark down the name***

Dec 14, 2013, 5:33 PM

mcclain maybe? I too would like to bring in more top regarded, mean

Dec 14, 2013, 5:35 PM

OL. Part of it is other teams hammering us with the fact that we don't run a pro style offensive scheme that would properly prepare them for the NFL, but with Panther and Eagles now coming around, hopefully we can see more of a trend in that direction (with nfl teams running the spread/QB read type offenses) and our guys will serve in somewhat of a niche market type role, and thus be drafted early and often due the familiarity with sets and scheme and assignments and what not.

Re: mcclain maybe? I too would like to bring in more top regarded, mean

Dec 14, 2013, 5:41 PM

Sharpe had our hat on the table the other day. so at least there is that

but your 5* OL, for the most part, will continue to go to

Dec 14, 2013, 5:46 PM

Schools like bama, Lsu, Stanford, Wisconsin, USC (real) and other schools that run the traditional (run oriented) pro style offenses.... simply bc it gives them the best chance to make it to the league.. and yeah, there are many instances here and there in which top OL go to other schools bc that's where their heart is, and those are the guys we need to capitalize on.

But it's the same deal as a WR. If you're a great wide receiver, would you rather go play for game tech/stanford/Wisconsin at this point, or Clemson where 5 different WRs will come away with 5 plus TDs in any given year?

That's why you see us w all these receivers, bc great ones stand in line waiting to jump into an offense that will give them the best shot at getting them to the next level.

We don't have that many receivers though

Dec 14, 2013, 6:09 PM

This season we couldn't fill our 2 deeps with recruited players. We need receivers because we don't have that many.

Re: We don't have that many receivers though

Dec 14, 2013, 6:51 PM

We have three 4-star receivers coming in this season, plus another possible commitment from 4-star Trevion Thompson before signing day and a commitment from a 2015 4-star named Shadell Bell. I'm not too worried about receiver depth especially if Bryant were to stick around.

I know

Dec 14, 2013, 6:55 PM

Just trying to educate on why we are taking 3 WR's this season.

The State of South Carolina

Dec 14, 2013, 5:59 PM

produces very few top flight OL year in and year out........... Not nearly as many top players on the OL as they do on the DL......... Clemson has about the max number of OL on scholarship and this year was very thin at WR so you either aren't following the team or you like to just spread a myth.......... Clemson tries every year to sign top talent on the OL and they have been getting beat by in state schools where the kids live........ Next year they have a chance to sign one of the top 5 OL classes in the country.......

Please stop spreading this truth

Dec 14, 2013, 6:10 PM

It hurts feelings.

Thomas will play OG in the nfl.***

Dec 14, 2013, 6:07 PM

Yeah just ask lsu aub uga***

Dec 14, 2013, 6:21 PM

Spurrier has 5 offensive linemen committed, some 4 star.***

Dec 14, 2013, 6:48 PM

5 = 2

Dec 14, 2013, 7:51 PM

That's some new math.

Stanley and Young are the only 2 linemen they have committed.

Re: 5 = 2

Dec 15, 2013, 8:30 AM

That would be 2=5.

Re: So we lose three offensive lineman that started the UGA game

Dec 14, 2013, 7:38 PM

This staff does not know how to evaluate linemen. Dabo is as bad as Bowden in this area.

The chickens' O line is what enables their QB to run.***

Dec 14, 2013, 7:41 PM

No Your Wrong!!! He ran when the DL

Dec 14, 2013, 8:00 PM

beat the OL !!!!! His yards were on broken plays.......... Very few of his yards were on called QB runs......... And your tailback had 22 yards in like 20 carries....... Shaw beat Clemson on broken plays......... Enjoy it while it lasts it's coming to and end very soon.......

Re: No Your Wrong!!! He ran when the DL

Dec 14, 2013, 8:35 PM

Then I watched 4 consecutive broken plays at one point.

Those were not just broken plays. Many were designed, and their O line made it happen.

The rush yards

Dec 14, 2013, 10:48 PM

Connor Shaw had were the only rushing yards they could get. He put on a clinic of how to keep drives alive, even when he jumped on that fumble when Beasley was basically tackled(yes it was flagged, but it kept him from recovering). The ##### had no turnovers.

Anyway, our rush was beating scar's line, especially third down. Some were designed draws and spurrier even said that if our dl pushed their oline left, he ran right, and vice versa. Shaw is not a burner but has deceptive speed. He's faster than Boyd and outran our linebackers(barely) to the edge.

This is what worries me about osu. Would much rather have got Bama in the defacto national championship that could've been. Would've likely been the #1 bowl and we do well vs non mobile qb's. Saban despises hunh offense.

Re: The rush yards

Dec 14, 2013, 11:03 PM

Davis was playing hurt!

Wilds and Carson....

Dec 14, 2013, 11:36 PM

5 combined rushes, 5 yards. They must have been playing hurt too?

Good grief, Spurrier had the same palybook as last year.***

Dec 15, 2013, 8:22 AM

Re: So we lose three offensive lineman that started the UGA game

Dec 15, 2013, 8:56 AM

Guff never deserved a scholarship.

I thought it was Veneables that complimented SCAR's line

Dec 15, 2013, 9:37 AM

Venables said something like if we went right their o-line just pushed us right and if we went left their o-line pushed us left.

I think therein could be the problem, it appears the d-line was not maintaining a gap but allowing an o-lineman to push him out of position, it seems this wouldn't be a big problem on a dive play where the tailback is hitting the LOS quickly as the d-line are not yet too far out of position....but all of Shaw's runs are delayed before he heads up field and the d-line are potentially way out of gap control by the o-line has ridden them out of position.

That is correct. Our D line could not get off their blocks,

Dec 15, 2013, 10:20 AM

creating gaping holes your grandmother could run through. Our D is much improved over the past two years, but we are not where we need to be. FSU and the chickens have shown that. Urban Meyer is creating strategies based on those games, the chickens especially.

I hope that Meyer schemes a lot from the USuC game...

Dec 15, 2013, 10:34 AM

Keep Boyd from panicking and that's a different game. Since Venables recognized that we couldn't get off blocks with our front 4, maybe he puts linebackers in the space, too.

Really?

Dec 15, 2013, 11:40 AM [ in reply to That is correct. Our D line could not get off their blocks, ]

I thought usc had only 318 yards total offense and only 140 yards rushing with a 2.8 yards per rush average.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Actually we've gotten some real

Dec 15, 2013, 9:44 AM

Good ones.... Had bad luck with injuries

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Don't doubt Cannon Smith is going to be an OL down the line***

Dec 15, 2013, 1:24 PM

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic