Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk?

Nov 27, 2012, 6:06 AM

If there is, we need to be on the phone to Dallas immediately.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One other thing, Slive will be a vulture and pick

Nov 27, 2012, 6:11 AM

off NC State and Virginia Tech. Like I said, get on the phone to Dallas immediately.

UVa board is meeting today....

Nov 27, 2012, 6:21 AM

Sportstalk radio in Virginia is speculating that it is to consider jumping to the B1G TEN. Littlepaige denies any interest...just like Weaver at VT has always done about the SEC.

Re: Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk?

Nov 27, 2012, 6:27 AM

UNC and UVa to BIG 10
NCSU and VT to SEC
GT and FSU to BIG 12
Clemson and sisters of the poor in the ACC.
My nightmare senario, very possible. Barker and the BOT may just earn this result for Clemson.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2012, 6:35 AM

Nightmare yes. Likely no.

So the Big 10 and SEC go to 16 but the Big 12

Nov 27, 2012, 7:04 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk? ]

only adds GT and FSU to get to 12 rather than going to 14 or 16? Your suggstion is laughable when they could add Clemson, FSU, GT, Miami to get to 14 or Louisville and Cincy/Pitt to make 16.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Big 12 will ultimately be adding more than 2 teams.

Nov 27, 2012, 7:20 AM

If the ACC begins to implode, Clemson will not be left behind.

Re: The Big 12 will ultimately be adding more than 2 teams.

Nov 27, 2012, 7:47 AM

Don't bet the farm on Clemson not being left behind. Barker was a main engineer of the ND deal. He would be too embarrassed to leave now.

There will be opportunities for Clemson to leave....

Nov 27, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to The Big 12 will ultimately be adding more than 2 teams. ]

just like this past summer. The question then becomes, does the President and CUBOT have enough sence to take advantage of those opportunities unlike this past summer when they squandered a golden opportunity to exit the ACC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: So the Big 10 and SEC go to 16 but the Big 12

Nov 27, 2012, 8:46 AM [ in reply to So the Big 10 and SEC go to 16 but the Big 12 ]

It is NOT laughable. The Big12 has stated numerous times they WILL NOT ADD if teams added decrease revenue per team. This is all about the $$$ folks. There will be an analysis done and if Clemson cannot add to the pie equal to what they take out they WILL NOT be added. That is why 6 months ago the talk changed from Clemson & FSU to the Big12 to GT and FSU to the Big12. Georgia and Atlanta are viewed as better TV markets than upstate SC. Sorry if the truth hurts.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is not why Clemson's prospects changed....

Nov 27, 2012, 8:53 AM

The focus shifted from Clemson to GT because Clemson continuously waffled on the Big 12's offer to join.

For practical purposes, if the Big 12 goes from 10 to 14 or 16 teams, it is likely that both Clemson and GT will have an opportunity to join.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is not why Clemson's prospects changed....

Nov 27, 2012, 9:24 AM

And if they go to 12?

I think that is unlikely....

Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 AM

especially if the $EC and Big expands to 14 or 16.

Right now, it's looking like the Big may be after GT rather than UNC.

Re: I think that is unlikely....

Nov 27, 2012, 10:09 AM

That would be great. Then we could get those pesky Bees off the schedule.

Ga Tech isn't going to the Big 12, they will go Big 10 or

Nov 27, 2012, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk? ]

stay put. Big 10 wants AAU schools in giant TV / cable TV markets. We have a home in the Big 12 if we want it. I didn't want us in the Big 12 six months ago and neither did a majority of Clemson alumni / boosters. Times have changed. If Ga Tech or UVa make a move to Big 10, we are out. We will try to make a move to the SEC, but it likely won't work ( it has nothing to do with mythical gentlemens agreements keeping us out - the SEC - like the Big 10 and Big 12 - wants new markets.

So, say hello to volleyball games in Ames, IA and Manhattan, KS and to football teams with records that will look a lot like WVU's this year (7-5, 6-6, and even 5-7) because the Big 10 may well send us to the Big 12 ready or not.

Yes...there is***

Nov 27, 2012, 7:18 AM

Virginia BOT discussion BigTen offer. Ironically two former

Nov 27, 2012, 7:41 AM

Tar Heels killing the ACC. Delaney of the Big Ten and Swofford.

Nov 27, 2012, 8:32 AM

Not sure when it will happen, but I do see it happening as all leagues look to maneuver towards 16 teams. Maryland was a shock to all in the league. Nobody saw that coming. But there s a bit of a battle on this aubject going on behind the scenes at UNC. There is the group that wants to stay with Duke and the ACC for historic reasons. This is the group that is basketball centered and doesnt care if the ACC turns into the new Big East. The second group likes the Big Ten because they think it would be a good fit for UNC. Then there is the third group that wants to steal NC States possible slot in the SEC. And UNC could easily do that. All they would have to do is wink at Mike Slive, and they would be in. Lots of politics in this before it is over, but I see VT and State in SEC. UNC and Virginia in Big 10, and FSU and Clemson in Big 12. At that point the ACC willbraid whatever is left of the Big East and try to become a super version of the old Metro conference.

Re: Re: Is there anything to this UNC and UVA to the Big 10 talk?

Nov 27, 2012, 8:50 AM

Clemson is #2 on big 12 wish list after FSU and followed closely by Miami

Re: Re: The Big 12 will ultimately be adding more than 2 teams.

Nov 27, 2012, 8:54 AM

ND had proven this season they don't need a conference affiliation in football

Nov 27, 2012, 9:14 AM

ND had proven this season they don't need a conference affiliation in football

however if the acc falls apart, they may be forced into a conference because of their inability to schedule games.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 27, 2012, 9:23 AM

teams will line up to play the defending BCS Champion

If you believe the dude...

Nov 27, 2012, 9:35 AM

He says that UVA is having a Board of Trustees meeting today to discuss the B10. Who the heck knows at this point, but there's too much smoke for something not to be happening. Either change is coming or we'll get a statement from the ACC that everyone is staying put and MD is being replaced.

http://clemson.247sports.com/Board/22/900-am-update-North-Carolina-and-Virginia-B10-targets-14390451/1

Nov 27, 2012, 9:37 AM

Correction - I meant Cory Fravel. Not sure who he is though.

The best thing UNC has is their b-ball rivalry vs Duke!

Nov 27, 2012, 10:17 AM

I don't see UNC leaving Duke. These games are huge for their fans.

Why would UNC leave?

Nov 27, 2012, 10:23 AM

Swofford strokes them on a daily basis. Everything he does in the ACC is for the benefit of the tarholes...

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

It would surprise me....

Nov 27, 2012, 10:43 AM

if UNC left for a conference they could not manipulate and control.

^^^ This.***

Nov 27, 2012, 10:48 AM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Normally I would agree but......

Nov 27, 2012, 10:54 AM [ in reply to It would surprise me.... ]

maybe Swofford told them there may be no conference for them to control and they better get out now?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic