Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 170
| visibility 551

New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee

Sep 8, 2014, 11:48 AM

Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney reiterated Monday that there is no quarterback controversy, and that he doesn't coach his team to please the fans who are calling for backup Deshaun Watson to start. What else did Swinney say about the quarterback competition? Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee

Sep 8, 2014, 11:55 AM

Just pick the starter already. Make it 100% official. This two QB tango we've got going on isn't gonna work in the long-run.

Hmmm, I think he did.***

Sep 8, 2014, 11:56 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2

Sep 8, 2014, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

games that the skill position youngsters are better than the veterans. They probably make some freshman mistakes, but can make up for it with talent.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously, Dabo disagrees.***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:05 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

2007 Florida team says hello***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:08 PM [ in reply to 2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: 2007 Florida team says hello***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

Good comparison but Stoudt isn't as talented as Chris Leak...I think Watson should start but really am disgusted with our fans booing Cole during the game. In reality though I think the fans were really booing Dabo for not playing DW.

I was there of it was only a handful and you could barely

Sep 8, 2014, 12:23 PM

hear it. People are going to try and blow that way out of proportion but stoudt was playing poorly and watson comes in and lights it up and they immediately take watson out, that's what people were showing they didn't agree with. A lot of times it's almost like they don't want you to see how toot deshaun is, there's not a coach in the country that would immediately take a quarterback out after he throws a touchdown and if we're going to do that we should have redshirted deshaun, I agree with stoudt being the starter but that's just plain stupid, look at georgia.

I don't care who the QB is

Sep 8, 2014, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: 2007 Florida team says hello*** ]

any so-called fan that would boo any of our players is no real fan and should be ashamed. That's really a good message to send to recuits. Quit acting like coots and grow up!

Re: I don't care who the QB is

Sep 8, 2014, 1:04 PM

I don't anyone was booing Stoudt, they were booing Dabo's decision making.

Booing occurred after Cole overthrew a receiver.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:05 PM

Didn't occur whenever Cole went in to start the drive (which would fit your narrative better)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2014, 2:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care who the QB is ]

My sentiments exactly.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What's the difference?

Sep 8, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care who the QB is ]

Cole can still hear the boos, even if they are directed at Dabo. If directed at Cole the message is, "Cole, you suck!" If directed at Dabo the message is, "Put the other guy in! This guy sucks!" Which do you think Cole prefers? Honestly, I have discussed with great vigor, while watching the games in Death Valley (for Georgia) and my living room (for SC state) whether or not we should be playing Watson, but booing where players can hear you is just classless.

Re: What's the difference?

Sep 8, 2014, 2:37 PM

Seems we have a lot of classless want to be coaches on Tigernet.

Sep 8, 2014, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't care who the QB is ]

Yea, right, slumdog!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 9, 2014, 12:29 AM

Thank you. Seems obvious to me. But what do I know?

If Dabo would just play the best player

Sep 9, 2014, 9:04 PM

we wouldn't be visiting this issue again so soon. This 10 year seniority stuff has got to stop. It's anti=competitive if you ask me.

Booing is low class period.***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: 2007 Florida team says hello*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2

Sep 8, 2014, 12:35 PM [ in reply to 2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2 ]

Duke did pretty good with a 2 QB system. Honestly, we just have two quarterbacks that play. We aren't a true 2 QB system. To me a 2 QB system is one in which you have two different QB's that bring entirely different skillsets to the table.

We are in a similar situation to Florida, Tebow's freshman year. He had some great skills but wasn't enough to replace Chris Leak so they both played. Maybe we should find a way to utilize the QB's in a situational standpoint instead of a drive to drive standpoint.

Re: 2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2

Sep 8, 2014, 4:02 PM

You are absolutely right, and there is nothing, I mean absolutely nothing wrong with Dabo and Chad playing Watson some and giving him some real time game experience that isn't just mop up duty. Deshaun should be, and he probably is, thrilled he is getting some PT in real crucial situations. I know I am, but I would bet you that if Dabo were to take Cole out and start Deshaun, at the first sign of trouble, there would be many who would be grumbling about that too. I think we have great coaches who want to win as badly as we do. They evaluate every play, every day. They will play who gives us the overall best chances.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

White and Shingler worked very well for us back in the day.

Sep 8, 2014, 4:24 PM [ in reply to 2 QB systems rarely workout - seems pretty obvious after 2 ]

Even then some people had there favorite, but Coach Howard handled it well. We used them both right through the bowl win with both playing well.

alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in....

Sep 8, 2014, 11:55 AM

until the game is in hand either way

the last thing we want to see is our "#1 clear cut starter that gives us the best chance to win" on the bench when the game is still in question........if he's the best option then ride him to the finish line.

My thoughts, exactly. It shows the silliness of Dabo's claim***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:19 PM

Re: My thoughts, exactly. It shows the silliness of Dabo's claim***

And your Tigerpulse shows the silliness of your posts. Been watching you for a while now and you never have anything positive to post, so why don't you go away.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:07 PM

Because he has as much right to his opinions as you or anyone else. If you don't like that, move to North Korea.

Sep 8, 2014, 7:40 PM

Slumdog, you are correct! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would think, however, that you would be informed before you speak, but that is not the way you do things, so have at it.

Secondly, would you give us your expert credentials on football coaching decisions ?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What are your "excellent credentials" that allows you to

Sep 9, 2014, 10:09 AM

criticize others?

XBox or Playstation superhero??

You have no logical counterpoint, so you attack me? Weak!

Sep 8, 2014, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts, exactly. It shows the silliness of Dabo's claim*** ]

It's pathetically juvenile that you can't just make an intelligent counterpoint, but instead resort to attacking my TigerPulse score. How old are you?

TigerNet is an overwhelmingly pumper-oriented site so it's easy to get a 100% TigerPulse score by making 100% pumper comments. Since I post a balanced set of comments, I'd be shocked if my TigerPulse score ever rose above 60%.

Following are 2 examples of balanced posts after the UGA game when most people were posting nasty things. I even defended the coaches' decision to play Stoudt over Watson. So spare me the garbage about all my posts being negative. Stick to the topic if you're capable. Make an intelligent counterpoint if you have one. Otherwise spare us the juvenile ad hominem.

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15744447

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15734156#15734156

Man you won't ever find intelligent discussion on this site

Sep 8, 2014, 2:00 PM

they'll just "landblast" you and call you a "moran" and then laugh about how funny their word play is.

There's some, but sadly there are many intolerant juveniles.***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:54 PM

Re: Man you won't ever find intelligent discussion on this site

Sep 10, 2014, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Man you won't ever find intelligent discussion on this site ]

hey man, isn't that Germans?

I am 67, and Dabo is playing #4 some for experience for 2015

Sep 8, 2014, 4:31 PM [ in reply to You have no logical counterpoint, so you attack me? Weak! ]

Anything he gives us this year is a bonus. We will have to have him for the next two or three years. Of course, I don't claim to be a know it all, but that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Sep 8, 2014, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts, exactly. It shows the silliness of Dabo's claim*** ]

BEST POST IN THIS THREAD,!

Sep 10, 2014, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: My thoughts, exactly. It shows the silliness of Dabo's claim*** ]

Really man? You're basing your reaction to people based on their tigernet pulse?

I'm sure Dabo really cares what you think.***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:11 PM [ in reply to alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in.... ]

Re: alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in....

Sep 8, 2014, 2:51 PM [ in reply to alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in.... ]

Playing Watson in the GA game was more than likely a part of the "recruiting sales pitch"..."I promise you you'll play in the very first game". The SC State game is typically a game where the subs get some playing time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in....

Sep 8, 2014, 8:45 PM [ in reply to alright dabo, if this is TRUE please don't put watson in.... ]

I'm glad someone said it, why would your so called clear cut starter sit before the game is won

Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee

Sep 8, 2014, 11:58 AM

There seems to be some trouble with the use of the word 'State' in this article. It's missing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU

Sep 8, 2014, 11:59 AM

Thanks Dabo. Saves me a drive knowing #18 is on the field. Was hoping #4

Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU

Sep 8, 2014, 12:05 PM

What is wrong with you people? ... apart from being miserable whiners. Cole Stoudt has worked hard, played hard and played well. He has been incredibly loyal to Clemson. Time you showed some loyalty to him! Deshaun Watson will be great WHEN HIS TIME COMES. Lucky for Clemson we have such talent at QB. If you think Dabo is trying to lose, you need to re-examine your brains!

Sep 8, 2014, 12:07 PM

When i see #4 vs #18 on the field.

I see a stud vs a backup.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:35 PM

and when I see your posts I see a whiney half-@$$ed fan. If you are so smart, why aren't you a head coach somewhere?

Sep 8, 2014, 1:10 PM

So head coaches are invariably smart? Guess that's why they're getting fired all the time.

Sep 8, 2014, 7:43 PM

Only you are perfect, slumdog, the rest of us are fallible.

Thats my thoughts as well....

Sep 8, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

people are getting too touchy when defending Cole. He is a good ballplayer and a good qb. But, Watson is just better and I think its only fair to the TEAM and the FAN$ to give him more opportunities.

The throws Watson makes, the runs he has, and the offensive production is much better than Cole. Its very clear to see. Watson looked like a 5th yr senior the first time he every stepped foot on the field and made 2 awesome throws and a TD throw that alot cant make.

As a coach, you its a VERY tough call to bench Cole (bc he doesn't deserved to be benched) but I do feel Watson deserves equal time.

At the end of the day, you play your best players.

Re: Thats my thoughts as well....

Sep 8, 2014, 2:56 PM

Does it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, that Cole has learned more plays than Watson? Maybe Watson only knows 10 plays vs Cole knowing 110! That would be a great game plan, play a QB that has 10 plays in his repertoire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon

Sep 8, 2014, 9:49 PM

See this post everyday but its not true

Coaches said they are not limited by play calling when Watson is in

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

SMH....it never occured to me bc thats a myth...

Sep 9, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Thats my thoughts as well.... ]

perpetuated by folks you wouldnt dare criticize coaching decisions.

Watson has been on campus a long dang time and knows alot of the offense.

if he only knows 10 plays or 10% of the offense then he is a certified moron and should be playing at North Greenville.

Sep 10, 2014, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Thats my thoughts as well.... ]

Do you have anything substantial to back up this claim? As others have said to you, someone says this every day but has nothing to back up the claim...we have no idea who knows what.

Let's pretend this claim is true...would you rather have 10 plays that can be run greatly, or 110 plays which can be run at an average level?

Go back to your Xbox***

Sep 9, 2014, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Sep 8, 2014, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Im so darn tired of you guys not getting behind our coaches and players. Either your all in or get gone. Stiffen up your lip and let our coaches coach. Lets take a look back at our recent history with Dabo and company. Get real guys, we are on track to becoming a elite program, lets not forget about that. If you have never played organized sports please shut your mouth, for those of you that have, look at the accomplishments and build off of it. There is no controversy until these arm chair coaches start running their mouths. Get behind our guys and let the coaches coach. What we say doesnt matter anyways. Get all in or get gone.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:12 PM

Thanks but no thanks, "boss."

Sep 8, 2014, 2:47 PM

Your responses are always so funny, and very cootish at best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If everybody had that attitude we'd still have Tommy Bowden

Sep 8, 2014, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

and be winning between 7 and 9 games every year

We were wondering who got rid of Bowden. LOL!***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:19 PM

Sep 8, 2014, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

For those of you who feel the need to boo any Tiger player on the field head down to Columbia. That's their style...you'll fit right in! But stay the h*** out of The Valley. God what a bunch of whiny little know it all brats!!!

How mad were you when Willie Simmons got benched?

Sep 8, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Were you happy that Mike O'Cain started for the 1976 team because he was a senior who had waited his turn, even though Steve Fuller was on the roster?

What is this, a beauty pageant?

Sep 8, 2014, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

None of those things matter when it comes to who's the better player.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Sep 9, 2014, 10:20 PM [ in reply to Re: I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Carma can be a M F-er. When some of you have worked your A$S of for something, and know you have earned it and deserve it b/c, you have done everything asked of you. Think about what you want done to Cole. That should make it easier for you if and when you get screwed over, and are told the man that just came is more deserving than you....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So...I'll buy them at face value from you.***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Re: So...I'll buy them at face value from you.***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:18 PM

They're in the 1st row of section 118. Paid 75$ each.

Don't hold your breath waiting on these tickets he HAS.***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:22 PM [ in reply to So...I'll buy them at face value from you.*** ]

Do Clemson a favor

Sep 8, 2014, 12:46 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

And put the rest of your tickets up for sale too.

You sure showed him!***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:53 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2014, 2:33 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Seriously , I guess you know better.

Sep 8, 2014, 3:48 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

You are stupid!

Sep 8, 2014, 4:34 PM

Waaahh.

Go back to STS

Sep 8, 2014, 3:59 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

I agree with dabo. Cole should be the starter. I do however hope Watson starts somewhere towards mid to late in the season but I agree with what dabo is doing right now. There's no way i want a true freshman QB start on the road against the #1 team in a very hostile environment. Patience with Watson is what we need right now.

Sep 8, 2014, 4:23 PM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Dabo doesn't need to be calling out fans and saying he don't care for pleasing fans. Yeah he and the coaching staff know who the better player is. But to say he don't care for pleasing fans. We basically pay his ticket at Clemson with all the sold out home games. Fire his ###
s so we won't lose one of our great coordinators

Sep 9, 2014, 7:10 AM [ in reply to I guess I have 2 tickets for sale @ FSU ]

Since you only cheer for THE Tigers when #4 plays, can I buy your tickets at face value?

Sep 10, 2014, 2:50 PM

sure you can! FV is 100$ --- i profit either way ;)

Well, obviously it's time for....

Sep 8, 2014, 12:00 PM

Yet ANOTHER debate on this very topic!!

Not that it's the "ONLY" thing that is totally consuming Tiger Nation right now or anything!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

BEAT FSU!!!!

FIRE DABO!

Sep 8, 2014, 12:04 PM

AND BATSON AND LEGGETT!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

You forgot Brownell***

Sep 8, 2014, 1:28 PM

Re: FIRE DABO!

Sep 8, 2014, 3:38 PM [ in reply to FIRE DABO! ]

Leggett is going to get fired the end of this year anyways. That coaching staff is about to implode

Sep 8, 2014, 12:14 PM

I was at the game and I heard the boos when stout would come in after Watson. And I heard the cheers when Watson returned. I turned to my friend and said how do you think that makes Stoudt feel when he hears that? We should not be booing our players. Save boos for the other team and Refs. That's definitely not helping Stoudt's confidence. I agree with coach. They know more about what's going on than we do and if they say that Stoudt gives us a better chance to win then I support their decision. GO STOUDT! BEAT FSU!!

Sep 8, 2014, 12:22 PM

Nice post. I agree with every word you said. Things will play out. Watson is the more talented of the two but Stoudt has not played poorly. He in fact has played pretty well. Watson however is no doubt a special player. I do expect to see DW get more and more snaps as part of the maturation process. But booing one of our own players? Cannot agree with that.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:25 PM

Us old guys remember when everybody got together and demand Ford demote Homer Jordan...I had to admire Danny he made it clear on tv that Homer was the starting quarterback and would remain the starter until somebody beat him out of the job...it worked out okay....

I like Stoudt

Sep 8, 2014, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

That said - it was clear he was off a good portion of Saturday. I counted 6 or 7 throws that were clearly off the mark. There was a major issue with not leading receivers and throwing to where they were rather than where they were going. There was also staring down targets. There was one case where he checked down to a screen under NO pressure when waiting 2 seconds would have been an easy TD over the top.

When Watson came in, the offense appeared to be more fluid and the issues above weren't seen to near the same extent.

I really don't think people were booing Stoudt much at all. The one episode of booing I heard was one of the 6 or 7 plays I mentioned. It was frustration booing and was brief. I did hear much louder cheering when Watson came in, but what booing I heard was minimal. I also think the booing was more directed at the coaches than Soudt.

The PA announcer also made a classic call on one of the plays mentioned that I have never heard in a stadium before. He said that the "Interception was broken up by Artavis Scott." Basically that Stoudt through a ball that would have been an interception if not for a great DB-like play by Scott.

I like Dabo, but I hope he's not looking through tinted glasses and missing that. If he truly believes that Stoudt gives us the best chance to beat FSU, then I will support that. I don't see it, but I will support it. He has a lot more coaching experience than me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get out of here...

Sep 8, 2014, 1:31 PM

With that well thought out and rational post. That crap isn't needed here! This here is the interwebs bub, you gotta post crazy stuff!

:)

We won by 66 points and the fans were booing because they

Sep 8, 2014, 2:25 PM [ in reply to I like Stoudt ]

were frustrated? Really?

Now those are real Clemson fans! When Cole starts

Sep 8, 2014, 4:30 PM

losing games for us, then Watson will get his full chance. I don't know why people can't have a little patience here.

Only foolish fans boo own player!***

Sep 8, 2014, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

I still disagree with Dabo, but I do agree about the booing.

What the hell is wrong with people? Why would you BOO cole stoudt? Please go cheer for the ##### if you are going to do crap like that.

When did people boo.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:51 PM

I only saw the replay so I skipped over some parts.

I feel like people would boo the decisions (Morris/Swinney) to play Stoudt and not actually boo Stoudt himself.

Re: When did people boo.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:46 PM

They might have been booing the coaches, but if I were Stoudt running onto the field and I heard the boos, I would have thought they were booing at me.

That's actually exactly what happened, there are just some drama queens on here.***

Sep 8, 2014, 4:07 PM [ in reply to When did people boo. ]

Sep 8, 2014, 12:26 PM

Shut it dabo you sure as #### wouldn't be here with

Without the fans

Fans shouldn't make coaching decisions

Sep 26, 2024, 8:43 AM

That's what he's saying. And as a fan, I wholeheartedly agree.

Repeat after me. "We are not top tier college football coaches."

I have to ask why...

Why would we have confidence in what we have seen so far? Fairly high percentage of overthrown balls, inaccuracy, floating balls up in tight coverage, hanging onto the ball too long and taking sacks, immobility in the pocket, impatience leading to taking the outlet receiver too fast.

Coaches don't seem to exhibit extraordinary confidence on the field. Swing passes and handoffs on 3rd and 13, 3rd and 20. Are we really supposed to believe that?

I don't know what happened since last season, but we don't have the luxury of just waiting to see if it'll work itself out. Watson isn't having these issues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

It's head-scratching for sure.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:30 PM

I just hope this has nothing to do with Stoudt's father being more influential on our program than we think.

Either that or Dabo is just hanging on to his loyalty to Seniors, results be ######.

Re: I have to ask why...

Sep 8, 2014, 12:30 PM [ in reply to I have to ask why... ]

Well why aren't you the coach then?

Its hard to argue with what the above poster stated...

Sep 8, 2014, 12:55 PM

I do not care what the heck Dabo or Morris says, Watson is clearly better and its not even close. You can watch 5 minutes of game film and tell that.

Its a delicate balance of easing Watson into the game against big opponents, but Watson is clearly better.

This is basically a public vote of confidence for Stoudt. Dabo would be better served staying mute on the issue.

Agreed - Dabo needs to stop talking about it***

Sep 8, 2014, 1:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed - Dabo needs to stop talking about it***

Sep 8, 2014, 3:29 PM

Exactly. He has told us his plan on numerous occasions and stated his fear that this type of BS was going to happen so he just needs to refuse to discuss it further. If it doesn't work out, the world class coaches on this board can get go after him then!

He's simply responding to the stupid fan talk. Not a Dabo

Sep 8, 2014, 4:51 PM [ in reply to Agreed - Dabo needs to stop talking about it*** ]

problem.

Sep 8, 2014, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: I have to ask why... ]

Because I was deemed too intelligent and went a different career route that actually involves logic.

I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dabo makes $2.5 mil, you?***

Sep 8, 2014, 4:52 PM

So stupid

Sep 8, 2014, 9:57 PM

It is a chat board, if everybody had the same opinion as the coach it would be a CHANT board.

Ps deshaun is better

Re: So stupid

Sep 9, 2014, 6:15 PM

So stupid!

Sep 8, 2014, 9:06 PM [ in reply to I have to ask why... ]

Because Dabo has an allegiance to his veterans. He has done the same crap with TB. Let's face it, TB at times lost it mentally in some games and Dabo would not take him out. TB was great but he had issues at times but Dabo did nothing about it. Maybe Stoudt should have come in then.

After this disaster, Cole is going to be known as

Sep 8, 2014, 12:29 PM

"3-and-out Stoudt"

He certainly might be, especially with that TERRIBLE OL

Sep 9, 2014, 10:13 AM

that he has supposedly blocking for him.

It boils down to their play. If they give him time, he'll find the open guy. If not, he'll be running for his life and most likely sacked.

What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:37 PM

Both QBs seem comparable in reading the D and adjusting. And if not, then they shouldn't have put Watson in against UGA. Both seem cool under pressure. But...

* Watson has the stronger arm and is the better passer.
* Watson is the better runner.
* Watson is the better scrambler.
* Watson runs the option better.

What does Stoudt do better? Dabo didn't say... which is a bit odd because Dabo didn't shy away from saying that they started Kyle Parker over Tajh Boyd because Parker had a better grasp of the O, and could better read the D.

Considering that Chad’s offense needs a dual-threat QB, and considering that our OL is marginal, it seems that Watson would give Clemson the better chance to win since his scrambling could help mitigate the marginal OL-play, and his dual-threat capability could help keep the defenses honest.

Re: What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:39 PM

I guess that's why you are making the big bucks as a head coach, huh Razz????

So you can't answer the question either. I guess we agree.***

Sep 8, 2014, 12:52 PM

You're the one with all the answers. Right!***

Sep 8, 2014, 4:55 PM

Ughh... I'm the one who asked the question. See it above?***

Sep 8, 2014, 5:05 PM

Yes you asked the question and then answered it.

Sep 8, 2014, 6:49 PM

It doesn't matter if you, I or any other fan sees or doesn't see it. We are not the coaches so I definately don't think I am as qualified as them. All this griping is not helping the team one bit, only causing prossible dissension on the team.

I gave reasons for asking my question just like reporters do***

Sep 10, 2014, 1:53 PM

Re: I gave reasons for asking my question just like reporters do***

Sep 10, 2014, 3:33 PM

Don't try to reason with them. You're talking to a wall. He's already drank all the Kool Aid, and no level of logic is going to make them question the Dear Leader.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Re: What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

That's his opinion, which he is entitled to. I agree Watson gives us a better chance to win.

You seem to be in favor of Cole starting; let's hear your argument.

No dog in this fight but I'll say this, Razz.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:02 PM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

Cole doesn't even run the option. That's what you're seeing when you think the other players play better. Cole isn't a running threat. That's Cole's deficiency in this system.

If Dabo came right out and told you exactly what DW's deficiencies are right now he would also be telling the world.

Go back over to STS and ask them what their deficiencies are or for that matter get anyone in a competitive business to announce their deficiencies in a public forum.

I'd say mixing it up a bit is probably our best option right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But Dabo had no problem saying Parker's advantages over Boyd

Sep 8, 2014, 1:22 PM

And the coaches have recently said that Howard is better at pass protection, etc. So your argument falls apart.

Besides, the opponents scout and watch film so they can see the pros and cons of each QB-- especially since the coaches have played both QBs. They opponents aren't going to learn anything if Dabo says that Watson is the better runner or something. I just can't think of what Dabo could say about Stoudt being better at. Maybe he knows the playbook better? That's about all I can think of, but it seems unlikely.

Maybe there is a good reason. I just can't see it. That's why I'm asking the question.

Re: But Dabo had no problem saying Parker's advantages over Boyd

Sep 9, 2014, 3:08 AM

Being better is a deficiency?

I don't think he's said Cole was better, I think we assumed that from Cole's being announced as the starter.

The only good reason I can think of besides DW not having completely mastered the playbook is that Dabo named him the starter. It has to either be the playbook or hiding something.

Re: But Dabo had no problem saying Parker's advantages over Boyd

Sep 9, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to But Dabo had no problem saying Parker's advantages over Boyd ]

Razz, you are wasting your time if you expect intellegent answers on here.........

Re: No dog in this fight but I'll say this, Razz.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:32 PM [ in reply to No dog in this fight but I'll say this, Razz. ]

Ok. I must reply to this topic. I watched the replay of the game last night on TV. It was very clear to me Watson played better, is more talented, and the team responds to him better than CS. What we have in D. Watson is a program changer such as Herchel Walker. I like and respect Dabo, but he must see something we don't. Maybe Watson doesn't know the whole play book yet. That is the only reason why you wouldn't start him. Only time will tell. Going into FSU with CS starting ..he has to play a perfect game for us to win. If DW starts (providing he knows all the plays) we have a distinct advantage. Go TIGERS !!! Beat the crap out of the noles and especially the coots !!

Re: No dog in this fight but I'll say this, Razz.

Sep 9, 2014, 10:15 AM

and if DW plays most of the game and we still get blown out and can't move the ball, then what will you say? Just askin.

I trust Cole a lot more to change the play at the line

Sep 8, 2014, 1:03 PM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

Sure, Watson can do it, too, but Cole is a lot more comfortable with the playbook.

That'll be huge when FSU is trying all sorts of things to confuse us. This isn't UGA or SC St we're about to go up against.

But the coaches trusted Watson vs. UGA & ex-FSU DC Pruitt.***

Sep 8, 2014, 1:29 PM

DW changed the play at the line on his TD at UGA***

Sep 8, 2014, 1:47 PM [ in reply to I trust Cole a lot more to change the play at the line ]

Link?***

Sep 8, 2014, 4:57 PM

Re: Link?***

Sep 8, 2014, 8:56 PM

Go back and find it. It's on Tigernet, one of the post-game interviews with Dabo or Morris.

Sep 8, 2014, 2:25 PM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

How do we know that DW doesn't just suck at practice or takes it easy in practice. Lets face it we have seen Deshaun for a few series where he played well in one at Gawgia the other not so well, really well in 4 or five against SC State. Shouldn't we have been begging for Cole to take over for Tahj last year after he set a completion percentage record against SC State? Lets not go off the deep end fellas. DW may be a better long term QB but I trust the coaches to make that decision. Not me based on a few series after two games.

Sep 8, 2014, 2:34 PM

Amen

Sep 8, 2014, 4:14 PM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

Watson may be more athletically gifted, but he was being crushed by the uga d line just as badly as stoudt was. I would have to imagine that Dabo looks at Stoudt having a bit more maturity and has been in the system longer. Obviously, we will see if this pans out. The one really good thing out of all this is that we know DW is going to be fantastic, when it becomes his team.

Sep 8, 2014, 8:12 PM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

I agree. Watson gives us the best chance to win. After watching Georgia beat us, I would say that we have no chance to win with Stoudt. When Stoudt's in there the defense just pins their ears back and blitzes more guys than we can block. That's part of the reason the OL looks so bad. Reminded me of when Proctor took on VT and we had thunder and lighting in the backfield but it didn't matter. The defense knew Proctor couldn't pick up the blitz and that he would panic. So they stacked the box against the run and brought the blitz whenever he dropped back to pass the ball. I think with Watson in there, the defense has to respect the fact that he can run and they don't seem to want to tack the chance that he can go down field with a decent pass which he has proven that he can. Number 1 QB out of highschool.

Sep 9, 2014, 9:03 AM [ in reply to What does Stoudt do better than Watson? Nothing that I see. ]

Watson has definitely earned more time then Stoudt has. I wish Cole the best but if Stoudt wasn't a senior this would not even be a discussion because Watson would be starting.

Sep 8, 2014, 12:42 PM

I was at the game I don't remember Stoudt getting booed! Granted I did hear lots of cheering when Watson went in but I never heard booing of any player!

Re: Then coaches to please who?????

Sep 8, 2014, 12:54 PM

I agree to let the coaches make the decisions, they will be successful or will fail with these, but to say you are not there to please the fans is a comment that will come back to haunt.This is something that needs to be explained in detail or recanted asap. Who donates? Who buys the tickets? Who buys the purchases the paraphernalia? Who watches or listens to the games? I know the Atheletic Director is who you have to answer to but really, who is the Boss??? Again, i agree to coaches making the decisions but think about what you are going to say before you get the shorts in a wad.

Re: Then coaches to please who?????

Sep 8, 2014, 3:03 PM

Agreed, think Dabo will regret making that statement, as he should.

Dabo could care less what coots think. Matter of fact, who

Sep 8, 2014, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Then coaches to please who????? ]

does?

Sep 8, 2014, 12:55 PM

The small amount of fans that did boo were booing the coaches. We all wanted to see Watson and if Cole is really the clear cut starter then the SC State is where we should see a heavy dose of the our back up QB but instead they keep Cole in to pad his stats so they can say hey he threw for 300! And yet the true freshmen gets to throw 9 passes! And the biggest thing was that Watson never got back to back drives! Watson hasn't been able to establish flow and he's still clearly the best QB! That's the main reason why fans are so bothered by this!

We crowned him King so what do we expect.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:00 PM

Sounds a little like TB and ole ball sack after their
multi-million $ one sided contract. Money is like alcohol it brings out the real person.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:18 PM

Dabo's opinion is the one that counts, and he might know a little bit more than most wanna be coaches.

... or it's possible that he's just being loyal to Stoudt.***

Sep 8, 2014, 1:24 PM

What's the back story to that?***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:50 PM

Dabo has his back.***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:56 PM

Sep 8, 2014, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

People use the appeal to authority all the time in these instances but coaches are proven wrong time and time again at all levels. Usually it's about 50/50 in the fanbase between who supported the bad/good decision and who opposed it.

Hell, CUATTHEFINISHLINE got his pulse absolutely hammered in 2010-2011 when he was calling for Steele to be gone because he couldn't defend the option and gave up too many big plays. Apparently anyone who thought Kevin Steele was a bad D-coordinator was a ###### and anyone who disagreed with Dabo was Satan.

We see how that one turned out. And it happens every year with all kinds of things.

The coaches aren't infallible. When DW is starting in a few games, a lot of people are going to magically forget these discussions.

Sep 8, 2014, 1:34 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

Dabo's comments most likely come from the simple fact that Stoudt knows more of the offense than Watson does. Being there four years, sitting behind TB and learning the Morris playbook I'm sure there isn't a play in the book that Stoudt doesn't recognize. Yes, Watson athletically shows more promise and it's been a long time since we've been fortunate enough to have a day one freshman starter, but the play calling could be limited with Watson in the game at this time. Granted, whatever package they have for him right now is genius! That being said Stoudt is likely the best starter because Chad Morris is about ready to bust that playbook wide open against FSU in two weeks. The offense seemed vanilla even against Georgia. The real season starts Sept 20th in Tallahassee

So Morris sacrificed loss to UGA in order to surprise FSU?!?***

Sep 8, 2014, 2:47 PM

WHY don't you go to the source and quit asking all the fans

Sep 8, 2014, 5:03 PM

about what Dabo thinks? We don't know!

Re: So Morris sacrificed loss to UGA in order to surprise FSU?!?***

Sep 8, 2014, 8:29 PM [ in reply to So Morris sacrificed loss to UGA in order to surprise FSU?!?*** ]

He didn't sacrifice anything against UGA but I can't sit here and say it was exactly the Chad Morris offense we've all seen him run. He stated his goal in the UGA game was to establish the running game...which kept the game close until Gurley went nuts in the 4th quarter. With a better field position situation yes I'm sure he would've opened it up a little more as he stated. My assumption is that Stoudt gets the nod over DW because of his familiarity with the playbook and scheme, which gives Morris the best chance to open things up.

This would bean issue if QB was a PROBLEM!

Sep 8, 2014, 1:24 PM

For what seems like forever... Clemson has not had that punishing running game... If you're backed up, get to 2nd and 3rd and shorts with a good power running game. That's what killed us vs Georgia! It will kill us again vs FSU. You can't outflank a team when they have similar speed/athletes unless you EXECUTE your assignments. It's great that DeShaun would add that extra dimension, but our backs need to be better and I think Gallman is the clear choice. In both these cases I think Dabo is showing loyalty to the Seniors. I think it will bite him this year. Sadly for Stoudt he hasn't done anything to lose the job, but hasn't done anything to distance himself as wanting to be THE man. Still... don't boo him...

Fans seem to be creating a new source of stress and division

Sep 8, 2014, 1:25 PM

for the team this year. Hope the team overcomes this well. I would rather not add a layer of distraction to the team, since it can't possibly help our record.

We Too Deep for our own good

Sep 8, 2014, 2:05 PM

and it's only gonna get better. Say what you want about Dabo but he started this madness with great recruiting and I'm sure he wouldn't have it any other way. Nobody grabbed the wheel until all this talent came in now everyone wants to drive the bus. There's no way we beat FSU if every time he, the coaches, or players get up in front of the media they have to answer the same questions over and over again. And you can clearly see he's annoyed. I don't care who's in the saddle as long as we beat FSU. Then we can talk about our running game and when they're gonna let Gallman tote the rock.

Sep 8, 2014, 2:26 PM

####, I miss Chad Kelly being on the team.....At least then Watson could have red shirted and avoid all of this crying and whining.

Things Swinney has also said:

Sep 8, 2014, 2:36 PM

If we played them 10 times...
Parker would play in the NFL...
His rants after losing to USuC...

Sep 8, 2014, 2:59 PM

Does it occur to anyone that maybe, just maybe, that Cole has learned more plays than Watson? Maybe Watson only knows 10 plays vs Cole knowing 110! That would be a great game plan, play a QB that has 10 plays in his repertoire.

USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon

Sep 8, 2014, 4:36 PM

Does it occur to you, even if CS knows 100 plays vs DW's 10 that Chad isn't going to call all of those plays lol. CS isn't physically capable of playing like DW.

Sep 9, 2014, 12:13 PM

Do you actually believe that DW knows the same amount of the playbook as CS has learned?

USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon

so much dissension in our fan base . . . .

Sep 8, 2014, 3:54 PM

are gamecock lovers the instigators??

just win. go tigers!!!

Re: so much dissension in our fan base . . . .

Sep 8, 2014, 6:34 PM

Joe Montana couldn't have beaten Georgia Trying to throw with his back on the ground. Give Cole a break. He's a #### good QB who can run our offense. Watson will get his chance.

Anyone who booed over this is a complete idiot.***

Sep 8, 2014, 5:00 PM

I thnk the defense will send the house with Stoudt in there

Sep 8, 2014, 7:30 PM

Typically when the QB can't pick up the blitz or find the open receiver, the defense will pick up on that and start sending more pass rushers than there are blockers making the OL look pathetic and confused.

Watson looked good in his first drive against Georgia and I firmly believe we could have stayed in that game if he was put back in. His ability to run keeps the defense honest and Cole couldn't do that.

Playing well isn't going to beat FSU and FSU will bring the house and I'm sorry Daybo but Stoudt has not played GREAT! He played OK against SC State and stunk if up against UGA.

Re: I thnk the defense will send the house with Stoudt in there

Sep 8, 2014, 8:49 PM

Tigerdrafted Watson went back in the game with Ga. It was 7:34 left in the 4th quarter. The Dawgs where up by 10. He scrambled for 1 yd, got sacked for a 9 yard loss, and got sacked again. He's going to have growing pains.

Sep 9, 2014, 5:45 AM

Yep he did have that one drive. Being down by 10 didn't help. I agree that he will have his moments but overall Watson looked better and you can't judge by one series especially after throwing him in there in the fourth when we are behind.

I'm expecting the same against FSU. He goes in for one series and has a bad three and out and that's all we see of him and everyone will be all-in again.

Sep 9, 2014, 8:00 AM

Yes Sir I agree with you about all but the 3 and out, and not giving him a chance to redeem himself. IMO if Watson was a red shirt freshman this year he would be the starter.I think Dabo and Morris preparing him as fast as the situation allows.

If Deshaun doesn't play at least

Sep 8, 2014, 8:34 PM

60% of the snaps, there is zero chance we win at FSU. It's that simple. Dabo says play whomever gives you the best chance to win and he's right.... Deshaun.

Re: If Deshaun doesn't play at least

Sep 8, 2014, 8:53 PM

My thinking is if he got 25% last game he might get 30-35% at FSU.

Re: If Deshaun doesn't play at least

Sep 9, 2014, 6:34 PM [ in reply to If Deshaun doesn't play at least ]

What a dumb comment!

Sep 8, 2014, 9:37 PM

Why would idiots boo our own players. Some people are classless. Cheer for the player you like when he gets in. Don't boo these kids who have worked hard and waited their turn. You people who boo our players need to go pull for the chickens! Remember most of our players are 18 to 22 years old. They do the best they can and they work hard to play on this team.

Sep 9, 2014, 12:25 AM

They were booing Dabo, not Stoudt. Obviously, it was Dabo who was making the decisions, not Stoudt. Dabo had better
be right regarding FSU, otherwise there will be he$$ to pay. Stoudt threw 3 or four bad passes against SCSU that would have been picks against a team like FSU. I dearly hope we can upset them, but just don't see it happening with Dabo's current mindset. With some decent OL line play and DW at QB, big freshman RB's pounding the ball, and DW running the read option we have a shot. But, this is not Dabo's game plan, so we lose.

I say again... what's the difference?

Sep 9, 2014, 7:24 AM

If Cole hears boos when he goes in the game or when he throws a bad pass, the message is clear, whether directed at him or Dabo. All he knows is, "These people think I suck." Booing because you don't like certain players on the field is never appropriate no matter who you say it is directed at. There is no justification for it.

Sep 9, 2014, 6:35 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Swinney says Stoudt gives Tigers best chance to win in Tallahassee ]

Go pull for your coots!

Sep 9, 2014, 2:47 AM

Jesus Christ some of you wouldn't be happy in a pie factory!

^^^End of Discussion^^^***

Sep 9, 2014, 8:45 AM

Sep 9, 2014, 9:08 AM

It amazes me that fans would boo a guy that threw for over 300 yards in a game. Whether the boos were directed at Dabo or not it still sends a message, WE DON'T WANT THIS GUY IN THE GAME! Which is a bunch of crap.

If I recall last year after a horrible performance against FSU, the fans did the same to Tajh.

I want someone to please explain in detail with facts, not almost's or maybes what Cole Stoudt has done to to lose this job.

We can go all the way back to when he was a Freshman if you like

Here are his passing numbers:

CLEM
38 60 63.3 446 7.4 1 69 1

CLEM
47 59 79.7 415 7.0 5 44 0

CLEM
27 39 69.2 212 5.4 3 27 1

CLEM
12 21 57.1 115 5.5 0 50 0

So for his career he has completed

124/179 with a 69% completion percentage 1188 yards 9 TD's vs. 2 INT's
in limited action, and I don;t want to hear it was in mop up duty excuse either, these are still D1 football players.

So again please explain to me what he's done to not have the job.

Also go back and watch games for a second time especially this season, the OL has been spotty at best, they were abused at Georgia and a few times SC State stunted up front and got to the QB quickly forcing early throws into coverage. Add to that after rewatching games receivers have run the wrong routes a few times and the run game is nowhere to be found.

The point is it takes more than just one guy to make an offense go at a
high level.

Deshaun Watson has and will continue to get his opportunity, but Cole has done nothing to warrant boos or be replaced.

Sep 17, 2014, 8:37 AM

Absolutely spot on!!! +1

Sep 9, 2014, 12:35 PM

I like Cole as starter with Watson available to change the tempo. And when the Tigers beat FSU - and they will - the QB situation will be a non-issue.

Replies: 170
| visibility 551
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic