Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, starting line-up vs UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

So, starting line-up vs UGA

Jul 19, 2013, 2:54 PM

Offense

QB: Boyd
RB: McDowell
WR: Watkins
WR: Peake
WR: Humphries
TE: Legett
LT: Thomas
LG: Beasley
C: Norton
RG: Shatley
RT: Timothy

I wish Battle could move to L.T. but I don't think he starts against UGA. I also think you will see 4 WR more than you see our traditional 3 WR sets, with Bryant playing on the outside and moving Watkins into the slot.

Defense:

DE: Beasley
DT: Jarrett
DT: Watson
DE: Crawford
OLB: Anthony
MLB: Shuey
OLB: Christian
CB: Breeland
CB: Robinson
FS: Blanks
SS: Smith

I'm interested in seeing if we play in the 4-3 most of the game and try to stop the run, or if we play in the Nickel, and have someone play the position Blanks manned last year. Also, I think the CB depth chart looks different after fall camp.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, starting line-up vs UGA

Jul 19, 2013, 3:04 PM

I don't think Leggett is going to start against UGA.

Who starts at T.E. then?

Jul 19, 2013, 3:06 PM

Seckinger? He seems more like an extra receiver, and if we're going to put an extra receiver on the field it will be Bryant. At least Leggett has the size to help on the line.

Re: Who starts at T.E. then?

Jul 19, 2013, 3:46 PM

They actually said at media day the other day that Seckinger was up to 230 or so and that they were really excited about him.

Jordan Leggett is one heck of an athlete. It'll probably come down to who is most dependable with their assignments. I'm sure they will both get plenty of snaps regardless.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Watkins in the slot more? SMH***

Jul 19, 2013, 3:06 PM

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

That's what he played his first 2 years

Jul 19, 2013, 3:07 PM

If you want to get Bryant on the field, Sammy is going to need to move to the slot on occasion.

peake would move, not watkins.***

Jul 19, 2013, 3:25 PM

Peake and Bryant play different positions

Jul 19, 2013, 3:28 PM

Peake will run the intermediate routes that Brown ran last season. That is not what Bryant does. Bryant is the deep boundary receiver, which is the position Nuk played last year, and the position Sammy will play this year. If Bryant is on the field, Sammy will slide inside and run some of the underneath routes and sweeps that made him an All-American his freshman year.. That's why Peake is starting and not Bryant

Sorry don't see it happening.

Jul 19, 2013, 3:29 PM

Bryant will likely end up where jaron brown as last year.

Then why isn't Bryant listed as Peake's backup

Jul 19, 2013, 3:36 PM

He is listed as Sammy's back up. I'm assuming this is because Bryant and Sammy play the same position.

Idk man, but I doubt it will last that our most physically

Jul 19, 2013, 3:40 PM

gifted WR and so far most impressive (other than sammy) will stay second string behind a player that will only come out of the game in a blowout in the fourth quarter.

Which is why Sammy doesn't come out

Jul 19, 2013, 3:42 PM

He moves over because he has experience playing both positions. Bryant has only played as an outside receiver. His talent is going down the field, not running precise routes and picking up tough first downs in the middle of the field or running stop routes at the sticks.

You don't move our best player from his most productive...

Jul 19, 2013, 3:54 PM

...spot on the field.

If you need to move someone else, fine. But Watkins is arguably the best WR in the country - a future top 10 NFL pick. If the potentially most product position is on the outside, which it is in our offense - you put him there.

You don't move him from there for any significant number of snaps.

And Morris won't.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

I would say he has been most productive in the slot

Jul 19, 2013, 3:56 PM

Which is where he has played his first 2 seasons. His freshman year, he played almost exclusively in the slot, with Nuk playing the outside receiver and Brown playing the other outside receiver.

So you're saying Morris doesn't know what he's doing then?

Jul 19, 2013, 4:04 PM

For moving Sammy to the boundary?

Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all

Jul 19, 2013, 4:07 PM

Having Sammy on the boundary give Morris flexibility because he can play both spots. It's going to be harder to double Sammy because they can move him between the two positions. When Bryant comes in, it will be as the outside receiver, because that is the only position that Bryant plays. When this happens, Chad can either take Sammy out or move Sammy inside to the position he played his first 2 years. When we go 4 wide Bryant will come in as the outside receiver, Sammy stay on the same side, but moves to the slot.

The point of moving him outside is to get him more 1 on 1.

Jul 20, 2013, 12:18 AM

The logic to move him inside, where he can be doubled much easier, to get bryant on the field makes no sense.

Bryant can spell him when he needs a rest, but otherwise sammy is in the game on the outside. If bryant can't play inside, put someone else in.

Isn't he playing the outside?***

Jul 20, 2013, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Watkins in the slot more? SMH*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jul 19, 2013, 3:08 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Jay Guillermo gets the nod at Center. Dude's been a beast in the weight room, plays very physical--literally punishes opponents.

Norton shifts to LG, I don't think Beasley will start due to weight issues.

That's a pretty thin limb

Jul 19, 2013, 3:11 PM

I don't think it would be wise to start a RS freshman in his first game against UGA. I think Guillermo will play in other games, but this opener is a little different than starting with S.C. State or Furman.

Re: That's a pretty thin limb

Jul 19, 2013, 3:17 PM

Caldwell plans to rotate on the first drive if we sustain more than 8 plays.

I've never seen a team rotate their center

Jul 19, 2013, 3:19 PM

They usually like to keep the snaps consistent.

Re: I've never seen a team rotate their center

Jul 19, 2013, 3:21 PM

Snap count will be higher this year. In a game atmosphere like that, adrenaline is flowing, it's hot, makes perfect sense.

Either way, it's Caldwell who said it, not me.

It think he will rotate at guard and RT

Jul 19, 2013, 3:24 PM

I think he leaves LT and Center alone. I've watched football for a long time and I can never remember a team rotating their center. You might see Guillermo at guard in the game, but I doubt you see him snap the ball.

More like

Jul 19, 2013, 3:15 PM

Offense

QB: Boyd
RB: McDowell or Dye, Brookes, Howard
WR: Watkins
WR: Peake or Bryant
WR: Humphries or Hopper
TE: Seckinger, Leggett
LT: Thomas
LG: Beasley
C: Norton
RG: Shatley
RT: Timothy

Defense:

DE: Beasley
DT: Jarrett, Williams
DT: DJ Reader or Watson
DE: Crawford or Lawson
OLB: Shuey or Steward
MLB: Anthony
OLB: Steward or Christian or Jones
CB: Breeland or Martin
CB: Alexander, Peters
FS: Blanks
SS: Smith

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This.***

Jul 19, 2013, 3:26 PM

So...

Jul 19, 2013, 3:29 PM

We take our best OLB and have him play MLB and take our best MLB and make him play OLB? That doesn't make sense to me. Shuey would be destroyed in pass coverage against a decent T.E.

This staff has confirmed that. Shuey will be at WILL

Jul 19, 2013, 3:30 PM

Anthony at MIKE.

Re: So...

Jul 19, 2013, 4:03 PM [ in reply to So... ]

WILL isn't an outside linebacker. If you watch the way we line up you will see the MIKE and WILL in the "middle" and only the SAM plays "outside."

Usually, there is no SAM

Jul 19, 2013, 4:04 PM

I just find it interesting that Shuey did an excellent job at the Mike and is now being replaced by the guy he replaced.

He struggles in coverage over the middle.***

Jul 19, 2013, 4:05 PM

Re: Usually, there is no SAM

Jul 19, 2013, 4:09 PM [ in reply to Usually, there is no SAM ]

We'll rotate the SAM for a Nickel based on the situation, but Christian did play a lot of snaps.

You're right, Q.C. played over 400 snaps last year

Jul 19, 2013, 4:25 PM

I don't remember 1 of them...that could be the problem.

you're right about that... he's garbage.

Jul 19, 2013, 4:29 PM

The only reason he's playing is i think he's some kind of project of BV's.

Jul 19, 2013, 3:35 PM

I think Battle will start. I talked with a couple of players, and they all seem to believe that Battle will be the starter on opening day.

Also read an article the other day saying that DJ Reader is making a huge push to be a starter. We all talk about how deep we are at WR and LB, but we are pretty freakin deep at DT too.

Also wouldn't be surprised to see Mack Alexander starting over Darius Robinson. The kid is phenomenal, and D-Rob seems to be a little unfocused this year (and he didn't have the greatest of years last year).

I wish there was some competition at SAM LB. I think QC has all of the talent/ability/tangibles to be a great linebacker, but he has underperformed thus far. And now the coaches don't even have a legitimate backup behind him that will push him to get better. I just don't understand that one.

As for a Q.C. goes

Jul 19, 2013, 3:38 PM

We didn't play with 3 LB's often last season. He is the first off the field and will be replaced by whomever we decide to play NB.

I agree with your points. Especially about QC

Jul 19, 2013, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Re: So, starting line-up vs UGA ]

Still I believe Jenkins or Kearse will man the NB this year and like last year if QC isn't getting it done don't be surprised to see them get more and more snaps

Only changes I make are

Jul 19, 2013, 4:36 PM

Seckinger at TE. He's up to 230 and still feels quick per Pearman. His receiving skills are top notch and I think he's a pleasant surprise this year. Between him and Darrell Smith as the blocking package TE and Leggett as you mentioned I think we'll be fine at TE. Would not be surprised if McLain gets snaps in short yardage situations as a TE as well with his experience there

I also see Jenkins starting over Robinson at one CB. Alexander by game 4.

Woah, What about Seckinger?

Jul 19, 2013, 4:48 PM

He's put on the weight and been studying for te under the Chad since last spring.

I feel Legett will play also, but they might split time.

I'm eager to see Norton at center.

Also Robinson at corner. I'm trying to remember the last freshman corner who came in with accolades. Probably Miller.

Jul 20, 2013, 12:36 AM

Martavis Bryant will start over Peake I think, he's a slot guy and Martavis will play on the outside. Charone will still get plenty of snaps though.

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic