Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So soccerkrzy has zero fun at a dealer last night.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

So soccerkrzy has zero fun at a dealer last night.

May 21, 2014, 10:52 AM

Want this car: http://inventory.crossroadsfordcary.com/crossroadsfordcary/details/2012-Ford-Explorer-Limited/1FMHK8F83CGA86453/

Test drove it, runs great, has all the features I want.

Sit down with guy to talk numbers, ask him what's the lowest he can go for me, he looks at a form he brought out that has the $39,900 and then a matrix of generic financing options...and says $39,900.

Seriously? He didn't come down at all, anyone have that happen?

So I told him there's the same one on Craigslist for $30k, there's one on Carmax for $35k, and the Edmund's says dealer cost should be ~$34.5k. He completely dismissed the first two items and says "really?" to the Edmund's...then gets an iPad out and asks me to go through what I did to get that number. So I go through all the options and do it, and comes out to the $34.5k.

His next words were: "well that's what you get from a third-party website that doesn't sell cars"

Seriously? WTPh.

Easiest decision to walk away from it, but I'm still angry. I actually wanted the car, might've settled for $35k, but really wanted $32.5k...but he didn't come down at all.

So I googled the VIN number and found the auction where the dealer bought it. The dealer bought it for $31.7k...which is higher than I would've thought the dealer would've bought it for, but to not lower the price at all to work with a customer whenever you had the play is beyond me.

That car brand new MSRP is $50k, okay, so someone probably bought it brand new for $44k...you're telling me it only depreciated $5k in 2 years & 26,000 miles (two Michigan winters mind you)???

Guess soccerkrzy is sticking with the dying Jeep.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

why'd you go that route over the new GC's?

May 21, 2014, 10:54 AM

i remember this discussion taking place, but not the outcome...

I'm prob gonna finally bite on a new GC this summer...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Explorer is larger in space, that was one of the reasons.

May 21, 2014, 10:56 AM

And the new Fords seem to have better build quality. And I like the navigation/entertainment system of the Ford Sync.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How does the size of the Explorer

May 21, 2014, 10:57 AM

change in space? And do you plan on driving it in space?

He's a PE, those arrogant sonsabeaches think they can do

May 21, 2014, 10:58 AM

anything!

haven't been in a 'new' ford

May 21, 2014, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Explorer is larger in space, that was one of the reasons. ]

'better build quality' compared to the GC's, or compared to the crappiles that earlier fords were?

Compared to crappiles of former Fords. Not sure in

May 21, 2014, 11:18 AM

comparison of current GC build quality.

haven't been in a new GC either

May 21, 2014, 11:20 AM

but visited the lot after-hours because I hate car salesmen....peeking in the window, even the base 2014's look pretty nice for what you pay. I'm biased towards jeeps tho...

GC=Grand Caravan?

May 21, 2014, 11:31 AM

You planning mrskrzy popping out some bebbies?

ssshhhhhh

May 21, 2014, 11:33 AM

why do you think she keeps sending him to that random car dealer?

DGUARcam on the next LungeLive!***

May 21, 2014, 11:34 AM

Walk away. See if he calls back.

May 21, 2014, 10:55 AM

You're well armed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Maybe I just had a bad sales guy, but he seemed pretty

good whenever I was dealing with him.

When discussing costs he had an air of hubris regarding Certified Pre-Owned. I then asked if his dealership had any used, non CPO cars, he said "no"...I just laughed.

Maybe it's the dealership's policies?

Doubt I'll get a call back.

I'm with you on this one and this is a circular arguement

May 21, 2014, 11:00 AM

made by dealers.

So you have the best, most reliable car on the market?

Why should such a high monetary value be placed on your warranty then?

Scoundrels. All of them.

If that's the case he knows how much he stands to make if he

May 21, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Maybe I just had a bad sales guy, but he seemed pretty ]

sells it for the asking price. If it goes down to a certain price he will make a minimum (usually $250) just for selling the car.

He may call you back since it's toward the end of the month if he needs you to get close to making his bonus.

Why do you like Jeeps, anyway?****

May 21, 2014, 10:56 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you and me?

this isn't working today...

;)

JEEPS ARE INDICATIVE OF A LOSER'S MENTALITY.****

May 21, 2014, 11:01 AM

^^^^NEVER BEEN TO A JEEP GRADUATION***

May 21, 2014, 11:10 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've had 2 graduate, 3rd is this summer

May 21, 2014, 11:11 AM

can't wait.

An Explorer isn't a Jeep.***

May 21, 2014, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Why do you like Jeeps, anyway?**** ]

Referencing you current vehicle.****

Because it was a good deal when I bought it used.

May 21, 2014, 11:03 AM

Now it's trying to die.

You should call and talk to the general manager and tell him

May 21, 2014, 10:57 AM

straight up what you are willing to give for it. Just bypass the salesman and go straight to the top.

For srs, I actually sold cars for a while (hated it) so I

know how to get around "the game." I was never one to jerk a customer around (sorry TXTF), I tried to give them the best price I could. If they made an offer lower than what I could sell it for, I went to the boss and let him make that decision.

So I should call back and get the manager?

May 21, 2014, 11:02 AM

Say I won't go above $34k, is that reasonable knowing they paid $31.7k for it at auction?

Yes it's reasonable

May 21, 2014, 11:05 AM

They probably care more about moving the "unit" then actual profit.

And there is profit in there, so win-win.

Re: Yes it's reasonable

May 21, 2014, 11:58 AM

I listened to a podcast not too long ago about selling cars from a dealerships perspective, and it's all about units. Those units make a difference in the dealership's monthly and annual bonus from the manufacturer. That's why their willing to lose a little money on the car. If they hit their numbers, the bonus will more than offset the loss on a couple cars.

What do you have to lose?

May 21, 2014, 11:07 AM [ in reply to So I should call back and get the manager? ]

Don't tell him you know what he paid. Call back and offer $32.5 and let him counter back, he may counter less than $34, if not then you tell him $34 is your final offer.

If you can find one very similar to the one they have at a

lower price, that would help too. Then you can always tell him "Shorty's Ford in BFE has one very similar with a few more miles but the price is more where I want to be. I guess I will just have to go deal with Shorty and see if he wants to sell an Explorer."

Don't make one up, some dealers actually do know how to internets.

I made the comment I'll go to Carmax and he said ok.***

May 21, 2014, 11:17 AM

he sounds like a giant

May 21, 2014, 11:21 AM

dooshnozzle

At what point do I just go rage on them for not coming

May 21, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to What do you have to lose? ]

down and say "Look you weasel fuckers, I know you paid $31,700 for this car, so fuck off!"?

immediately. Price is right their azzes

May 21, 2014, 11:15 AM

$37,001, final offer

minus the dyslexia***

May 21, 2014, 11:15 AM

Let's open a conf call line and then call this guy on 3-way

May 21, 2014, 11:18 AM [ in reply to At what point do I just go rage on them for not coming ]

with Jounge in attendance.

We'll take care of it for you.

setup a google hangout***

You had us at 3-way!

May 21, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Let's open a conf call line and then call this guy on 3-way ]

Jungers

Ohhh, I want to be the -***

May 21, 2014, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Let's open a conf call line and then call this guy on 3-way ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WHEN/IF HE REJECTS YOUR OFFER OF $34K***

May 21, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to At what point do I just go rage on them for not coming ]

What is your financing through?

May 21, 2014, 12:47 PM [ in reply to So I should call back and get the manager? ]

Are you paying cash? Credit Union? Bank?

If they think you will finance through them they are more willing to come down as they think they will be able to sell the loan. If they hear cash or financing through someone else they may get staunch?

Did you already mention that? Might be why he isn't coming down.

I hadn't mentioned my financing at the time.

May 21, 2014, 3:10 PM

I intended to get the cost of the car down at first, then to talk financing. I already have financing through USAA at 2.49%.

I must be missing something

50k for an Explorer?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Pretty much.***

THIS...I thought new Explorers were probably in the 35k

May 21, 2014, 11:10 AM [ in reply to I must be missing something ]

range. This is why I will not ever buy a new car, unless I get stupid rich.

The base is, but then you add up for Limited trim, 4x4,

Tow package, & A/C seats

The newer Explorers are very expensive

May 21, 2014, 11:16 AM [ in reply to THIS...I thought new Explorers were probably in the 35k ]

The base model is just empty...so when you start adding it up, all of a sudden you're paying the price of a BMW.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

A BMW car***

May 21, 2014, 11:19 AM

You'd have thought the sales guy would have come down

on the price then went all hard sale on the add-ons such as the thing that gets free oil changes and such. What is wrong with the Carmax one, other than dealing with Carmax?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Haven't laid eyes on the Carmax one, but it definitely looks

May 21, 2014, 11:00 AM

like it had a rougher 2 years than the one at the dealer. That, and Carmax won't lower their prices at all, still think $35k is high for the level of tear it looks like it has (the Carmax one).

WAIT

it out. The right deal will ###. Right in your face if you wait long enough.

Ah, that does suck. I was bummed last year when I

May 21, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Haven't laid eyes on the Carmax one, but it definitely looks ]

realized there was no way to make a Tahoe work. I liked the Terrain alright, but the ones that would work were too old. I do enjoy the fuel efficiency of this 4 banger Camry though. I drove from the House of Blue back to Charleston, did two bank commutes, drove two shifts at the pizza joint, then made it all the way to Rock Hill on roughly 14 gallons of gas.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So soccerkrzy has zero fun at a dealer last night.

May 21, 2014, 11:03 AM

CarGurus

Check that out. should help you a bit if you're looking at used.

Pretty cool site, thanks. Seems that the one option

May 21, 2014, 11:07 AM

I really want is making this the hardest search (and most expensive)...I ####### want A/C seats.

you sound sweaty.

are you fat?

I get strong lower back sweat on long trips.

& yes.

feels and feels for miles***

At all reasonable to add AC seats in aftermarket?***

May 21, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to I get strong lower back sweat on long trips. ]

Nope, not possible as far as I know. Definitely

May 21, 2014, 11:17 AM

wouldn't be reasonable if you could.

Tragic. I've no use for heated seats, but AC seats would be

so nice.

same. SheGUAR swears by heated seats...you know,

May 21, 2014, 11:26 AM

because keeping the car at a comfy 82degrees isn't enough.

Women a fickle. I know some that are freezing at 67 and

May 21, 2014, 11:30 AM

burning up at 77. There are too intolerable to even earn a full bed post notch.

Letting you in on a secret

May 21, 2014, 11:17 AM [ in reply to I get strong lower back sweat on long trips. ]

You still sweat with A/C seats, and it's just as unpleasant.

Is this for reals?***

May 21, 2014, 11:18 AM

100% SRS***

But really? I drove around with that on full blast and it

May 21, 2014, 11:20 AM

felt good. It's uncomfortable on long trips like normal?

You're blowing my mind at the moment.

Short Trip = OK; Road Trip = Still the same.

May 21, 2014, 11:22 AM

Just buy some gold bond powder. it's cheaper and more pleasant.

Now I'm depressed.***

May 21, 2014, 11:23 AM

why?

May 21, 2014, 11:25 AM

Gold Bond comes in a couple different flavors.

I've wanted A/C seats ever since I heard they've existed.***

May 21, 2014, 11:26 AM

they seem like a great idea, and I have MINIMAL experience

May 21, 2014, 11:28 AM

with them (one trip from DFW to my BiL's house)...Chevy Traverse...them things were WAY too loud to make it worth it to me, and I can swampass like a #### too

They're worth it.***

May 21, 2014, 12:37 PM [ in reply to I've wanted A/C seats ever since I heard they've existed.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah...aero's better off putting that money towards a snip

May 21, 2014, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Is this for reals?*** ]

and a good pair of concert shoes

If my insurance is agreeable, I could

possibly get snipped for free. Most people dismiss when I talk about this, but I'm nearly 34. Seems way too old to start with making babies. Also, can't it be undone in the event some hot 24 year old puts a curse on me?

sure...let's just say yes to that last part

May 21, 2014, 11:23 AM

for when it happens

I don't understand this and I am scared.***

May 21, 2014, 11:31 AM

I you had put money toward a snip, you probably could...

May 21, 2014, 11:21 AM [ in reply to yeah...aero's better off putting that money towards a snip ]

afford concerts.

not really sure where the not affording concerts thing comes

May 21, 2014, 11:24 AM

from. I DO refuse to buy concert-specific shoes....maybe it's that ;)

or maybe its NOT going to 140 OAR concerts...

however, your sentiment IS correct about MANY MANY other things.

At least I don't have concert shorts....

May 21, 2014, 12:39 PM

not that we know anybody around these parts that would...

I don't, maybe you have inferior A/C seats

May 21, 2014, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Letting you in on a secret ]

Mine give me glorious blasts of cool air on my back and ###.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You have an undershirt to capture your sweat, you're good***

May 21, 2014, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Pretty cool site, thanks. Seems that the one option ]

Yada yada yada, JO crystal.

May 21, 2014, 11:22 AM

And this thread contains 95% of the week in the lounge.

That's perfectly normal and predictable from car dealers

May 21, 2014, 12:18 PM

and salesmen. I've experienced it numerous times. The bottom line is, stick to your guns.

I've bought 4 cars over the past few years, and every time I used the Edmunds price for what I should pay. I only failed to get the car at that price once. I did walk away on two of them, then the dealer called me back in a day or two and agreed to sell at my offer price.

The last one I bought, a few months ago, I made the offer after the test drive. Salesman goes to the sales manager, comes back with a much, much higher counter offer; we were about $3000.00 apart on a car they were asking $14,000 for. I explained that I had x amount of $ to spend and if they couldn't do it, I would have to look elsewhere. He said they just couldn't do it. When I stood up to walk out, the manager walked over and gave me a hat with the dealership logo on it, and explained that they simply couldn't get anywhere near the price I was offering. I told them that was fine, no problem, shook their hands and walked out the door. The manager shouted "How about $ (a price just a few hundred dollars lower than the first counter)". "Nope" I replied and continued to walk to my car. Then another salesman stuck his head out the door and yelled across the lot "How about $ (a few hundred dollars lower)". "No thanks" I said. I got in the car and started to drive off. It was a cold, rainy, windy night, and as I was driving off, a salesmen came sprinting across the lot waving his arms, right in front of my car. He ran over to the window, which I cracked a bit, and he said "come on back in, you've got a deal".

A few minutes ago, they simply could not go any lower. No how, no way. They had to make SOME money, you see. A few minutes later they cut the price 21%.

Edmunds has been very accurate in my experience. Stick to your guns. Don't over pay.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic