Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ex GT player
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 4,452

Ex GT player

Oct 22, 2018, 8:38 PM

And current WWE star Roman Reigns(not sure what his real name is) just announced he has leukemia. Prayers to the Big Dog.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ex GT player

Oct 22, 2018, 9:18 PM

Joe Anoa'i.

He was part of Tenuta's bad-a** defenses in the mid 00's, and a really good player at that.

Here's a good link to one of their highlights, the beatdown on the Plains in 2005, right after Tubby's great undefeated 2004 team:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85u3dAIZ2Is

Joe is #96. He got in on some sacks and tackles in that game.

For those of you who started watching college football in about 2010, this was back when Tech used to actually recruit talented players. Gailey couldn't beat Georgia if his mother's life depended on it. But his teams were tough, physical, and we used to play some defense every now and then.

So smitty, let me ask you,

Oct 22, 2018, 9:21 PM

what you in your mind is keeping Paul Johnson around? You're obviously in fertile recruiting grounds and used to get guys like Calvin Johnson and Demariyus Thomas...

...what's going on down there?

Re: So smitty, let me ask you,

Oct 22, 2018, 9:28 PM

The program has mostly been on a slide since 2009. I would say that 2014 was a brief interruption, where we won almost all the close games that year. Other than that, we've been very mediocre.

We're currently about to have our 3rd losing season in 4 years, and we've just lost to Duke for the 4th time in 5 years. It's time for a complete change in philosophy, and firing the head coach is a starting point.

We might not ever be as good year-in and year-out as Clemson. But I draw the line at being Dook's b*tch.

Oct 22, 2018, 9:43 PM

It's always confused me how you can be one of the 2 big programs in one of the most talent-rich states in America and struggle so much over some stretches.

I hate watching us play the option. Hope you all will get things back on track to provide a formidable threat in the ACC going forward.

Oct 22, 2018, 9:48 PM

I'm with you 100%, man.

How many programs can sit right smack dab in the middle of Atlanta and then not compete?

I don't think we'll ever be a football factory the way UGA is a football factory. But we can at least try to compete. There's too much talent in this state to be a doormat against Pitt, USF & Dook. It's ridiculous.

With Johnson's system, we just can't recruit the Jimmy's and the Joe's. He knows X's and O's. But he doesn't have enough good players to run it.

Oh, and his defenses & special teams always stink. They have going all the way back even to 2009.

So sick of this.

I don't see any reason why GT couldn't hire an

Oct 23, 2018, 9:48 AM

up and coming coach a la Scott Frost, PJ Fleck, etc. and transform into a contender. The history is there, you have a sizable (and wealthy) fanbase desperate for a change, and you are in a talent rich area. You play in a division that is schizophrenic and you have won your division multiple times with that mess of an offense.

I want GT to be good again.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't see any reason why GT couldn't hire an

Oct 23, 2018, 11:14 AM

I also want us to be good again. A starting point is firing CPJ, and getting someone with a different offensive & defensive philosophy.

Oct 22, 2018, 9:21 PM

Oh no. That is terrible news. Prayers

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smitty - do you think the problem is the GT Admin is

Oct 22, 2018, 10:13 PM

all too happy to have a mediocre football program as they are not willing to spend the money/resources to make GT a top program? I just get the feeling that the GT Admin sees sports as an unnecessary diversion from their academics and are perfectly happy with a mediocre football program as long as it has a winning season every now and again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smitty - do you think the problem is the GT Admin is

Oct 23, 2018, 9:33 AM

Our Admin is just not worried about being great at football, and they're OK with mediocrity. I'm glad to be associated with an institution where the focus in academics & research. That's Tech's mission. But I don't understand why striving to be the best in football would hurt the academics & research side. In fact, I think it could actually help it.

But at this point, I'm not expecting a great shift in their thinking on that. I just want them to make a commitment to be better than Dook. That's all I ask at this point.

Just went and saw it YouTube...

Oct 22, 2018, 10:40 PM

D@mn near choked up.....

:(

CANCER SUCKS!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 7:57 PM

Done.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2018, 8:02 PM

That is a difficult cancer to treat, but there are treatments out there and I pray that he finds one and it works for him

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 13
| visibility 4,452
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic