Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well the USA just avoided complete disaster
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Well the USA just avoided complete disaster

Sep 5, 2017, 7:52 PM

scored in the 86th minute to share a 1-1 draw at Honduras. A loss would have been catastrophic for world cup qualifying chances as Honduras would have jumped ahead of us in the Hexagonal standings. Now we are still in position with 2 games remaining. Home vs Panama and @ Trinidad & Tobago.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well the USA just avoided complete disaster

Sep 5, 2017, 8:10 PM

The fact that USA soccer can't easily defeat the three countries you list shows how bad USA men's is compared to the rest of the world.

Sep 5, 2017, 8:18 PM

> The fact that USA soccer can't easily defeat the
> three countries you list shows how bad USA men's is
> compared to the rest of the world.

Not anymore.

We crushed Honduras 6-0 the first time we played them in qualifying - in America. Going down to Honduras is a whole different proposition. They made us play in the middle of the day when it was 95 degrees and close to 100 per cent humidity, they kick and foul us constantly, and the CONCACAF refs never put a stop to that garbage.

USA soccer is improving dramatically, mostly thanks to MLS. The problem is, so are all the national teams in North America - thanks to MLS. You look at Costa Rica, Honduras, T&T...almost all their top guys play here now.

The top teams in CONCACAF are no joke anymore. North America sent 4 teams to the last World Cup and got 3 of them out of the Group Stage. USA and Mexico got to the Round of 16, Costa Rica was one of the final eight left standing and Netherlands needed double overtime and a penalty shootout to get them out.

We still aren't elite, but we're fair-to-decent. Basically the equivalent of a team ranked 20th-25th in college football, and sometimes a bit better or worse than that.

Sep 5, 2017, 8:25 PM

That's our biggest problem soccer in the USA is treated like a country club sport, and if they can't play in the heat they should stay home.

now that's an interesting point

Sep 5, 2017, 8:58 PM

That soccer is treated like a country club sport in the USA. Everywhere ejae in the world is considered the blue collar working man's sport. And maybe that creates hungrier athletes

Sep 6, 2017, 2:25 AM [ in reply to Re: Well the USA just avoided complete disaster ]

You do realize that the Netherlands are not a powerhouse, right? The Germans laugh at the Netherlands' Soccer. It has been a running joke to them, with the exception of the last World Cup. They were actually a little bit concerned about them, then. However, the Germans won that World Cup. Beating Argentina in the finals. Argentina had the best player but Germany had the deeper team. I lived in Germany during that Cup's Tournement and felt our USA Team was put at a disadvantage in our game versus the Deutsche Team, with previous scheduling. We hung tough but got tired in that match's second half. In other games we played more tough in the second half than the first, just didn't have the legs on the shorter rest against Germany. I thought we were on our way for the next Cup, which doesn't appear to be the case at this point. ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2017, 8:46 AM

lol the Dutch are historically a footballing elite even if they haven't won a World Cup.

The Germans may laugh at them but the Germans can laugh at everyone sans Brazil.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Sep 6, 2017, 8:50 AM

... And Italy.

The Dutch are probably the best team never to win one. They've had some great teams. I thought that '98 team was loaded.

you realize sans means without and not except yes? Or

Sep 10, 2017, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Well the USA just avoided complete disaster ]

did you mean to use it incorrectly?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's why I'm a proponent to...

Sep 5, 2017, 8:15 PM

Octagonal Standings.

If we had that in place, we'd be golden right now.

Screw hexagons!

~JKB

Sep 5, 2017, 8:19 PM

Most countries get their countries best athletes for soccer. In the USA soccer is still down the ladder of great athlete in terms of participation. It has a long way to go before that changes.

Sep 5, 2017, 8:28 PM

All three countries have a combined population of maybe 14 million.

Sep 5, 2017, 8:54 PM

> All three countries have a combined population of
> maybe 14 million.

Yeah but you can only play 11 of them at a time, and as others have mentioned...soccer in their singular passion. It has their undivided attention.

We're definitely doing better. We've gotten out of the Group Stage in 3 of the last 4 World Cups, including the last two. We beat out England to top the Group in South Africa in 2010, and we finished second in the Group of Death in Brazil in 2014, ahead of #9-ranked Portugal and the Ghana team that had knocked us out of the last two World Cups. (Ghana is no joke, they're usually the best team in Africa, ahead of guys like Egypt, Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, and Nigeria, who can all play.)

We also got fourth in the Copa America Centenario last year, where we went head-to-head against South America's big superpowers and actually did OK. Colombia edged us twice...and Colombia is seriously no joke; they've been in the Top-10 in the world for at least five years now.

We're doing better. And qualifying in those Banana Republic nations is never going to be easy just because of the conditions. Nobody human can just hop off a plane and play effective soccer in Honduran heat, which is exactly what they count on. It's hard just walking down the street in Central America anytime near summertime.

Sep 5, 2017, 8:57 PM

How was NY and the Open? Who did you get to see play?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So sick of Sunil Gulati

Sep 5, 2017, 10:00 PM

He fires Jurgen which honestly I agreed with but then turns around and hires Bruce Arena back to "Get us to the world cup". In doing so Bruce has gone back to horrible bunker US style that had him fired in the first place. We rely on mid 30's MLS "veterans" who are slow and learning new positions at the end of their careers. Arena even said in a recent press conference that he would be playing more young talent if he was guaranteed to coach after the World Cup but since not he's going to just try to get us there. Pretty bold move by Arena who was previously fired to strongarm the USMNT.

Sure he can talk about how a gritty draw in Honduras is a great result but at the end of the day we as fans shouldn't accept that. We should be striving for more. Do you really want to see this team, who has lost 6-0 on aggregate to Costa Rica in 2 games, in the World Cup? Can you imagine what a Argentina, Germany, or heck even Uruguay would do to this team? Why not push with a youth movement? Why not give a Lynden Gooch and Emerson Hyndman a shot at experience in the midfield? Why not give Matt Miazga and Cameron Carter-Vickers a go at CB?

I know i'm ranting but if you know what you're doing is not working then why continue with the status quo?

In football terms, Bruce was basically brought on as the

Sep 6, 2017, 9:20 AM

interim to get us through the season (cycle in this case). Things were very stale under Jurgen and he just proved time and time again that he was a terrible tactical manager. I think the change had to be made.

IMO the biggest issue facing the US right now is trying to transition from our previous generation of players to the new generation. We had an entire cycle's worth of players that basically didn't pan out, and now the next wave is mostly still really young. Pulisic is already making major contributions (he's probably our best player already) at age 18, but quite a few other promising players around his age just aren't ready yet. Guys like Clint and Tim are just too old to shoulder the load at this point.

Sep 6, 2017, 9:44 AM

https://youtu.be/vPtgxmA_j2I

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Sep 6, 2017, 9:54 AM

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to soccer, and a very casual fan of team USA, but I thought that Pulisic kid was supposed to change everything? I guess one player can only do so much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's only 18 and, yeah, it's tough for one attacking player

Sep 6, 2017, 10:17 AM

to make a huge impact when the midfield is struggling.

We dont need that commie sport

Sep 6, 2017, 10:01 AM

We have this

What sport is this?

Sep 6, 2017, 10:15 AM

I thought you liked tennis. Tennis measures their games in minutes?

Re: What sport is this?

Sep 6, 2017, 10:18 AM

Soccer is a game for people who are afraid to play real football!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was invented by french women

Sep 6, 2017, 10:19 AM

so they would have something to do while their men cooked for them.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic