Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Well, I didn't realize how well Jeep Wranglers hold value
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Well, I didn't realize how well Jeep Wranglers hold value

Oct 27, 2020, 12:53 PM

until recently when I started shopping around for my kid...fml

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's insane the first cars these kids get these days

Oct 27, 2020, 1:05 PM

back in my day you were lucky to get your dad's old beater with primer on the doors and radio.

Now these kids are getting 2017 F-150's and 2016 GMC's for their first car.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

1987 Toyota 4 runner, in 1992 granted. Still.....

Oct 27, 2020, 1:10 PM

Couldn't beat cruising the strip in the Dirty Myrtle with the Nemesis blasting from the 15's and 1200 watts of headlight-dimming bass.

Yes, I had the mullet to go with. Thanks for asking.

This is how I am able to truly appreciate your pallet deck.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1996 Chevy S-10 painted in metallic Green

Oct 27, 2020, 1:15 PM

extended cab with low profile tires and 2 10's with a 500w amp in the back. Also the bass lights in a custom box. With the CB radio

Could bring in puss from 2 miles away

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Forgot to mention the CB, had that too***

Oct 27, 2020, 1:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Be like

Oct 27, 2020, 1:22 PM [ in reply to 1996 Chevy S-10 painted in metallic Green ]

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amazing a woman that big

Oct 27, 2020, 1:37 PM

has relatively small teet tays.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read that as "an amazing woman".

Oct 28, 2020, 7:27 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

If there was anything on this board I would have bet my life

Oct 27, 2020, 2:25 PM [ in reply to 1996 Chevy S-10 painted in metallic Green ]

on, it would have been you being into the minitruck fad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1974 Olds Cutlass Salon in 1978...

Oct 27, 2020, 1:42 PM [ in reply to It's insane the first cars these kids get these days ]

with burgundy red velvet interior (hey, it was the '70's), a jam up 8 track player and a 442 under the hood.

Good times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

1986 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel. Was my grandfathers

Oct 27, 2020, 1:56 PM [ in reply to It's insane the first cars these kids get these days ]

Got amazing gas mileage but going up the mountain to Asheville w a full car and I was in left lane w flashers on going 30 mph on the interstate.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"back in my day"...Aren't you like 30?

Oct 27, 2020, 3:39 PM [ in reply to It's insane the first cars these kids get these days ]

15 years ago...you were 15.

I was doing what I'm doing now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you've been a grumpy old c-word for 15 years straight?

Oct 28, 2020, 7:42 AM

JK, luv u boo!

Come to Mt Privilege and it’s all luxury SUV’s

Oct 27, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to It's insane the first cars these kids get these days ]

If not, it’s a brand new tricked out Chevy with the squat (there’s 3 in my hood alone). I’m UDP and only here because we bought from in laws

You shopping for a Jeep Wrangler or a kid? Which one is

Oct 27, 2020, 1:07 PM

it? I bet a kid is more expensive, not sure though.

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

def the kid

Oct 27, 2020, 1:22 PM

Maintenance and sound proofing costs are INSANE

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ

Oct 27, 2020, 1:19 PM

thing. CJ's (produced through '86) are moving into the collector category, like what happened with Broncos. Most CJs that are good for the long term have had some renovation / modifications done, and that pushes them into the expensive range. But YJs ('87 to '95) are another story

I have a '95 YJ that at first glance looks as good as any CJ. Is lifted, nice wheels. Great exterior and interior. Is a little 4 cylinder, but that's fine with me: it goes. Top off in the summer, it gets comments. I bought it in 2007 for $5500, and though it's not for sale that is probably what I would get for it now, maybe a little more, $6500 if I was dreaming. And that is good news: if he takes care of it, when he's tired of it and ready for something else (in 20 years he'll wish he had it back) it will be worth what was paid for it, or more.

Bottom line, if 5k - 7k is in your range, you should find a very serviceable YJ. If that is not what you are finding, let me know.

Send pics and I'll give you $6500 today

Oct 27, 2020, 1:26 PM

LOL! I'm not finding any decent ones in that range for under $8000. I'm looking for anything early 90's and later.

I don't know if you know this, but everything with a motor

Oct 27, 2020, 1:26 PM

right now is ridiculously priced.

I was talking to my bro in law about it

Oct 27, 2020, 1:29 PM

wondering why. COVID? Who knows?

used car shortage

Oct 27, 2020, 1:39 PM

https://jalopnik.com/the-used-car-market-might-be-close-to-peaking-1844285431

https://www.tribdem.com/news/there-s-a-big-shortage-virus-shutdown-means-fewer-new-cars-which-is-driving-up/article_017cec96-de66-11ea-9451-8f9f2ee9d838.html

I need to sell now, before the big "used car glut" coming

Oct 27, 2020, 4:27 PM

next year when everyone is broker and out of a job.

The used boat market is going

Oct 27, 2020, 7:03 PM

to be insanity. You will be able to snag a $100k Axis, Malibu or MC for nothing. It’s going to be awesome. Patience is key.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's what I've been thinking.

Oct 27, 2020, 7:07 PM

These people making $60k a year who said "Screw it" to a $700/month 20 year $125k boat loan when Covid hit aren't going to make it through the first winter before they have buyer's regret.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Same here, but I'm more on the other end of the spectrum

Oct 28, 2020, 7:45 AM

a 16x48 or larger mod-v aluminum boat with a 40-50HP tiller 4 stroke that I can throw the fam in and run up and down the river, maybe poke out to an island on Murray if it's not too choppy.

Ragged out ones that are a decade old are selling like new. New ones are selling above MSRP. Surely this has got to come to a head.

GTFO with your square headlights.***

Oct 27, 2020, 1:38 PM [ in reply to I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ ]

my exact thought

Oct 27, 2020, 1:42 PM

But I didnt want to get into the fray of they uneducated Jeep folks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The TJ is the pinnacle of Wranglers

Oct 27, 2020, 2:42 PM

Indestructible 4.0L inline 6, coil sprung, and not too much fancy garbage on them to mess up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree, but they still leak fluids like it's their job.

Oct 27, 2020, 2:59 PM

It's one of the last cars where your ownership experience truly depended on what day of the week it was built on.

Maybe so, I guess I got lucky with my 97 and 05

Oct 27, 2020, 3:03 PM

I really hate that the 2014 Cherokee my wife had was such a POS it turned us away from the brand. I've peeped some new Wranglers, and oh my god they're nice. Too nice to take off-road or do anything Jeepy in, but I still want one. Maybe it's nostalgia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of us have had to buy what we can afford,

Oct 27, 2020, 9:25 PM [ in reply to my exact thought ]

leaving enlightenment to others.

I keep my eye open for CJs, I'd buy another on in a

Oct 27, 2020, 1:40 PM [ in reply to I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ ]

heartbeat. The first one I had was unbreakable.

YJ = Yuppie Jeep***

Oct 27, 2020, 2:21 PM [ in reply to I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ ]

Most of the people who say that have had neither one.***

Oct 27, 2020, 9:22 PM

My 1982 CJ5 has been garage kept it’s whole life

Oct 27, 2020, 2:49 PM [ in reply to I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ ]

Couple of tiny rust spots under the windshield and on drivers floor board

Only been in the mud 2 times

Everything OG, white rims and all,except the radio

Forgot pig from Saturday

Oct 27, 2020, 2:53 PM

Check out daughter of’s purple shirt!

when you are ready to sell, I am ready to purchase

Oct 27, 2020, 2:54 PM

MauldinT® put that on your spreadsheet. I have dibs on Fluff's Jeep, even if he hasnt agreed.

@ffluffhead

So my promise to myself was that I would take my kid(s)

Oct 27, 2020, 4:25 PM

To their first day of school in that thing

Daughter of was due to hit kindergarten this year and thankfully for this one selfish reason the Rona hit. As most of you know, I was medically not clear to drive until 10/3, school would have started and I would have missed it

Now, I get redemption for 1st grade next year

We paid $3000 or $3500 for it in 1999

It was my first car for me. My sister and I shared a 1990 Corolla white with the black bumpers

Parents said they would pay for all maintenance as long as I didn’t take it off roading. After that, I paid for everything. I pulled a friend in a wrangler out of the mud behind Waffle House on long point road between exams senior year. He actually lives pretty much on that same spot now

Make me an offer early next September and yes @mauldint please make note in the spreadsheet

C

Oct 27, 2020, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Forgot pig from Saturday ]

cup in that passenger side

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. she also looks garage kept.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:46 AM

good job.

I dig the rims.

Oct 27, 2020, 3:43 PM [ in reply to Forgot pig from Saturday ]

Why people toss the old school steelies like that I don't understand.

If I was rebuilding, or buying something like that, I'd insist on them. White ones, with tall skinny tires.

79 CJ-5 was my first car.

Is that Sarahadidas's Town & Country in the driveway

Oct 28, 2020, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Forgot pig from Saturday ]

And Sarahadidas's boobees being hugged by that seatbelt?

@ryanadidas

That's a cool Jeep, no doubt,

Oct 27, 2020, 2:58 PM [ in reply to My 1982 CJ5 has been garage kept it’s whole life ]

but either you have an open-roof garage, or she's 15 years overdue for a good buff and wax. Go detail that thing!

and speaking of cool CJ's....

Oct 27, 2020, 3:04 PM

where's SwimminTiger® ?

Buff and wax

Oct 27, 2020, 4:20 PM [ in reply to That's a cool Jeep, no doubt, ]

It’s been a while

It goes through phases (summer and winter) where it becomes a place to store kid stuff

Spring and fall she comes back out

If you find a non rusted out pre-73 CJ, those are cool.

Oct 27, 2020, 4:01 PM [ in reply to I know you've discovered this, but it's mostly a CJ vs YJ ]

they have weak 4 cycles or weaker v6's, but all that can be changed. They are really closer to the Mahindra Roxor/Cj-2A.

The "holy grail", as Dennis Collins would say, seems to be a < '82 CJ-5 V8 laredo HARDTOP, with the T-18A granny gear 4 speed, 304 V8, Dana 44 rear end, and a tail gate.

Nah, people are just trying to get their money

Oct 27, 2020, 1:23 PM

back for the repairs.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my 2014 Wrangler, according to the local dealership

Oct 27, 2020, 1:29 PM

has only lost $5000 of its value. That's the price they say they'll give me for a trade-in.
Paid $30K, they told me they'd give me $25K for it. I've probably put $4K of upgrades on it over the years (hard top, better headlights, step rails, stereo).

Not interested tho, it's a keeper for a few more years.

I hope you like your new Kia Wrangler, kid!***

Oct 27, 2020, 1:37 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've got a 2001, orange, with ~20,000 miles on it.

Oct 27, 2020, 2:00 PM

Kept garaged at the beach house for the past 19 years... worth the same it was new.

Ahhh yes, I once pitied a man with no Jeep, until I

Oct 27, 2020, 2:24 PM

met a man with no beach house.

Well, we can't all have lakehouses

Oct 27, 2020, 2:42 PM

insert eyeroll

I believe we've moved on to mountain houses.

Oct 27, 2020, 2:54 PM

Cash, of course.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shhhhh, I was going to circle back to that one again

Oct 27, 2020, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Well, we can't all have lakehouses ]

later on in the thread to talk about my 1995 Defender 90 with 35k miles that we keep at the lake compound and only use for picnics, pulling the wooden Chris Craft each fall, and the occasional Ralph Lauren catalog shoot.

That jeep was purchased before I even graduated Clemson***

Oct 27, 2020, 3:31 PM

POTD.

Oct 28, 2020, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Ahhh yes, I once pitied a man with no Jeep, until I ]

that hit me square in the funny bone.

chickwithorangejeep?***

Oct 27, 2020, 2:37 PM [ in reply to I've got a 2001, orange, with ~20,000 miles on it. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Well, I didn't realize how well Jeep Wranglers hold value

Oct 27, 2020, 9:13 PM

i bought a 2015 jeep this summer for retirement, but didnt retire, mite sell it

DaddyAdidas bought me a '92 jeep cherokee in 2000

Oct 28, 2020, 7:40 AM

so that was an 8 year old SUV. Seemed like an old beater at the time, but now, if I bought my kids a 2012 jeep and they ragged it out like I did, I'd beat their asss.

I had a few rockford fosgate 12's, a 300W Jensen amp, a chrome brush guard and some knock off fog lights with KC Daylighter covers. No AC, notoriously unreliable door handles and power windows. No headliner, carpet replaced with DIY bedliner. That thing was like a rolling sweat lodge.

Especially the summer of 2003 where I was living at home in Lexington, driving to Midlands Tech Beltline campus to take calculus, and then out to Gilbert to work in a packing shed... the windows wouldn't roll down and there was no AC. I swear it was 140-150*F inside that thing sitting in the downtown columbia/lexington traffic each day.

I drove that thing until it died in 2007.

My cousin lost her husband a few years ago

Oct 28, 2020, 7:49 AM

he had an old 4 banger YJ that she gave to her father. He has it sitting in his yard... I might offer him a few bucks for it, but I kinda think he's holding on to it to give to my cousin's son when he starts driving, sorta as a gift from his late father. THe kid is like 3yrs old right now. I don't know if that's his plan, but it should be. I'd feel guilty about buying it now that I think about it. Pretty cool jeep, though.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic