Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So much for getting a reliable closer at the deadline
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

So much for getting a reliable closer at the deadline

Aug 4, 2019, 5:15 PM

The Braves could march Mariano Rivera in his prime out there, and he would find a way to lose.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah this kid from Detroit is awful

Aug 4, 2019, 5:21 PM

Hopefully he shakes this off but his first two outings have been a disaster.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Being a Braves fan is pretty much being a Cubs fan.

Aug 4, 2019, 5:38 PM

I was a small kid when the Braves moved to Atlanta with Alou and Aaron. At that age, I adopted them like only a kid could a little puppy. I loved them no matter what. I lived through 100 losses a year, every year. I loved them when 5'1" (maybe a little taller) Pat Jarvis was the best pitcher on the team. I loved them when they spent the house to get Andy Messersmith who took his money and went to sleep. I loved them when they second mortgaged the house to get that guy (I forget his name) because he pitched a perfect game for somebody else but came to the Braves and couldn't get me out.

I loved them through all that, and would have continued to.

Then came GM John Schuerholz, and they actually had a team. A great team. A fabulous team. The team of the decade, if measured in wins. 100 wins every year. Four Hall Of Fame pitchers on the same team. Hitters everywhere.

What they excelled at was beating everybody in August and losing to everybody in October. You are entirely correct: They could have had Mariano and Babe in October, and they would find a way to lose. As far as I can tell they have never risen above that identity.

But God help me, I still love them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when Phil Niekro

Aug 4, 2019, 6:18 PM

was our only chance to win . . . and Rico Carty was the only threat other than Hammering Hank . . .

I remember when Chief "Nock-a-homa" was named . . . There was a public cry for a name . . . Anyone could enter it . . . Being a wee lad, I told my Aunt Sally, who still lives in Roswell, "We ought to name him 'Chief Winna-game'"!!! . . . She wrote it on the entry form and mailed it in . . . I've never seen he laugh so hard!!!

Fun times from Fulton County Stadium to Turner Field and now in Suntrust Park . . . I'm with you, CUintulsa . . . I love them anyway!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL, I don't mind saying I like your name better than

Aug 4, 2019, 6:55 PM

Nockahoma. I mean, it turns out that we did indeed have the chief of nockahoma, and I love the Hammer, but we couldn't beat anybody. We needed Chief Winnagame. You got my vote.

Gosh, Phil Niekro. What does it say about you when he, yes the best knuckleballer of all time, is your ace? Sigh. Dale Murphy. Great player. Loved him. But 1 out, top of the 8th, down 4, nobody on, he'll hit one in the upper deck. Bottom of the 6th, up 1, not so much.

My dad took me to a game when Joe Torre was catching. Loved that guy. Torre, Alou, Aaron. How did those guys finish last? I don't know, but they did. Anyway, on the way into the game I said, as a kid would, "I hope somebody hits a home run tonight." Everybody hit one. Going into the 9th the Braves were, again, behind, on a score of something like 15-13. Bottom of the 9th, we got the bases loaded, 2 outs, Torre is up. This was when there was still an actual fence inside the outfield wall. Joe hits a rocket out there, the right fielder makes a running leap, snags the liner as it is clearing the fence, the fence rail hits him at about the knee and he flips over it. Stands up holding the ball, game over.

We were on the bus to the parking area after the game, and some delightedly drunk guy hollers out so everyone can hear, "I think I know who the winning pitcher was, but who in the hell was the LOSING pitcher?" Everyone laughed: at least 6 pitchers were used by both teams. No way to figure out who the loser was without an abacas.

That was what it was to be a Braves fan. I still am.

Great golf tournament today. I always love this one, right

Aug 4, 2019, 7:00 PM [ in reply to I remember when Phil Niekro ]

before the fedx. I love seeing the guys going for their cards for next year. I hate it for the ones who fall just short, but I love seeing a guy shooting 60-something on the last day to finish 123rd. He finishes in 15th place for the tournament but his wife runs out and gives him a bit kiss like they just won the lottery. Which they did. Can eat for another year. Life is good.

The average golfer has no idea how good those bottom guys are, not just in physical skill but mental maturity.

Some good news..

Aug 4, 2019, 5:56 PM

Bruce Sutter's contract ends in 2022!! ??

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic