Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So let's say we all "social distance" until the U.S. is
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

So let's say we all "social distance" until the U.S. is

Apr 4, 2020, 3:52 PM

free of Coronavirus. What's going to stop another round of this thing hitting the country again?

In 1918, the second wave of the Spanish Flu is what absolutely crushed everyone. Will we have a repeat?

Do we intend to close our borders until no one has COVID-19 or until we have an immunization?

How long before our economy cannot recover?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So let's say we all "social distance" until the U.S. is

Apr 4, 2020, 4:00 PM

60 more days and we are toast I bet.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 4:03 PM

All excellent questions. The doctors and disease experts (not political parties) of everything I've read say to expect this to be seasonal like flu and h1n1 etc. That's what really disturbs me.

Because they're talking as if a foregone conclusion that it reappears in September/ October. The good thing is we'll know from other countries that were earlier than us.

Personally, I think they'll fast track a vaccine... Which is scary in itself. I pray they'll find out once you've had it, you're immune to it. Let's all pray it doesn't mutate. Interesting to see how fast south korea opens back up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The second wave will be here in the fall.

Apr 4, 2020, 4:15 PM

People are too ignorant to believe that. That’s why as a healthy person I don’t mind if I get it now. I never get sick so I trust my immune system to fight it off.

We’re in spring headed towards summer. Imagine how bad it’s going to be fall headed towards winter.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Hope I am wrong, but think economy is already toast

Apr 4, 2020, 4:16 PM

Would not shock me to see another 20% down in stock market and employment worse than 2008/09. Pray I am wrong.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 5:09 PM

Fauci said if another wave happens in the fall, we'll be much better prepared and it won't crash the system the same way. There will be more than enough ventilators, masks, etc. Some amount of herd immunity will develop. Not as many people will get sick and medical professionals & hospitals won't be pushed far beyond their critical limit.

Until there is a vaccine, a couple of hard truths (among several others):

1. Social distancing of some sort will remain in place. Hate to say this but the effect on large-scale events and meetings (particularly football) is yet to be determined.

2. Our high-risk citizens (especially those 70+ years-old) will remain in danger.

We will never be "free" of covid-19.

Apr 4, 2020, 6:10 PM

Social distancing and "stay at home" is only effective in "flattening the curve". And until an effective vaccine and/or treatment is found, there WILL be a second wave. Faucci just now said that they are expecting it and are prepared for it. The hope is that with better, more widespread and available testing, we will be able to track and isolate better, and therefore contain more effectively. Also, many will have immunity by then so the curve will not be as steep and the medical system will not be as overwhelmed. Social distancing and hand washing will still play a role, but by the second wave, the economy will be opened back up for the most part. It has to be.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I ponder these Q's all day...no one knows.

Apr 4, 2020, 6:58 PM

Hoping for the best.

Apr 4, 2020, 7:07 PM

But we have a bunch of Holy Rollers who pack their churches, secure in the fact that JEEEEESUS will protect them...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You had to go there

Apr 4, 2020, 9:33 PM

I was wondering when someone would say the Church is being stupid and selfish by going to it.

Sure, there are online and tv services but you actually sound dark man I feel for you

Apr 5, 2020, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: So let's say we all "social distance" until the U.S. is ]

Jesus doesn't protect us for the small enemies of this life, but for the enemies of our eternal life. Our life on Earth isn't even a drop in the ocean of eternity.

Sounds like COVID19 gets church folks closer to what’s important

Apr 5, 2020, 11:16 AM

Being fair and balanced as I’m sure you are, you would readily admit

Apr 5, 2020, 10:30 AM [ in reply to Re: So let's say we all "social distance" until the U.S. is ]

That this is by far the minority wouldn’t you? And you would also admit that if a vegetarian murdered someone it wouldn’t mean that all vegetarians are murderers I suppose.

I think its only feasible to do this for a while do avoid a huge peak

Apr 4, 2020, 7:21 PM

that could potentially overrun hospitals. The goal should never be to shut everything down until the threat is completely gone.

A little longer and we won't have an economy TO recover.***

Apr 4, 2020, 7:41 PM

Apr 5, 2020, 11:03 AM

free of Coronavirus. What's going to stop another round of this thing hitting the country again?

In 1918, the second wave of the Spanish Flu is what absolutely crushed everyone. Will we have a repeat?

Do we intend to close our borders until no one has COVID-19 or until we have an immunization?

How long before our economy cannot recover?

Nothing. It is going to hit again. The only thing is that we are trying to prevent it from not overwhelming our capability for critical care. Our hospital system is not set up for lenghty stays. We have something like 2.8 best per 1000 pop. Most surgeries and hospitalizations take only a couple days and then they send you out. THis virus has people stacking up with stays of 4,5,7,10,14+ days. People sedated on ventilators in ICU wards for 5,7,10 days. Consuming drugs, consuming O2 mixtures. The system is not designed for that.

Yes, the burn rate of PPE is staggering.

However, while everyone talks about ventilators and PPE, and availability of hydroxychloroquine etc. But what about "normal" "everyday" stuff. Sedatives, Pain killers, Paralytic drugs (to keep people from fighting the ventilators). Special Oxygen mixtures (Nitric Oxigen) ...?

This stuff doesn't grow on trees and we are burning it up at rates that are inconceivable. The system is set up for just in time production and delivery, and it's not as simple as snapping your fingers to make/get more. What happens when we have 40million ventilators and not enough pain killers, sedatives to go around?

This will be the next "thing" in the news.

Apr 5, 2020, 11:12 AM

the assumption is there will be multiple waves. even if by some miracle we got it down to zero here, somebody will fly in who is asymptomatic and start it all over again. we just have to keep it to a point over time to where we are not all like New York--frantically looking for beds and ventilators.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic