Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So it doesn't bite us again can we get a referee
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,588

So it doesn't bite us again can we get a referee

Jan 12, 2016, 3:42 PM

to explain once and for all why our kick against USuC was wrong but the one against Alabama was legit.

I am not looking for your analysis, quoting of a rule book, etc. I am looking for a conference or NCAA official to explain it.

I am not saying it would change the game and am not blaming the call. But I'd like to see us be able to execute a penalty free onside kick in the future or know how to correctly respond to one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So it doesn't bite us again can we get a referee

Jan 12, 2016, 3:45 PM

Good grief I don't know why this is so hard for people to understand.

Jan 12, 2016, 3:49 PM

I thought the coot called for a fair catch?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 12, 2016, 3:52 PM

As I understand it, the Carolina Player called a fair catch and was not afforded the opportunity to catch the ball. The Alabama play was a catch of an onside kick... perfectly executed on their part... not so much on ours... IMHO the clock issue at the end of the first half was far more damaging and just flat out poor officiating... not a ref either.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So all we need to do is have a player wave their arm?

Jan 12, 2016, 3:54 PM

If so, you think Dabo will get that information officially so the 3rd time (you know the charm) we can get it right?

Jan 12, 2016, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Re: So it doesn't bite us again can we get a referee ]

Y'all are putting way to much in this fair catch stuff. In the coot game, whether he called fair catch or not was irrelevant. Just like on a punt, you have to give the returner a chance to catch the ball, whether he called for a fair catch or not.

The same applied in the coot game on our onsides kick. The ball was kicked in the air right to a coot player. At that time, one of our players interfered with him while he was trying to make the catch. Our player then caught the ball. That is illegal, whether he called fair catch or not.

So on to last night. Bama kicked the ball in the air beyond 10 yards. The difference from the coot game is we did not have a player within 7-10 yards of the ball to make the catch. Therefore there was no way for a bama player to interfere with our player. Also, since we were nowhere near the ball, we couldn't call for a fair catch anyway. You have to be in position to make a catch to call for a fair catch.

That is the difference between the two games. The play was 100% legal. We shouldn't even be talking about this because there was no need to have our players sqeezed in tight like that to set up for a better return. At that point in the game, we should have played everything safe. That onside kick was way way to easy, and any good coach would have done that. Horrible coaching on our part.

Jan 13, 2016, 7:08 AM

The Alabama kicker was offsides

Jan 12, 2016, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Re: So it doesn't bite us again can we get a referee ]

You sir,are correct. The officials cost us a chance at 1 or 2 plays prior to attempting field goal.

its simple, I really dont understand why some people dont

Jan 12, 2016, 3:57 PM

get it.

If the receiving team has a player in a position where they have any remote possibility of making a play on the ball, they must be given space to do so (fair catch or not, all a fair catch would mean is you cant get plowed after catching the ball or you cant return the kick). The only way this doesnt apply is when the ball bounces (a ball driven directly into the ground at the kick does not count as bouncing). In the USUC game they had a guy in position to catch the ball and we did not give him the opportunity. In Bama game, we didnt have anyone in the zipcode of the ball to have any possible claim that they could have fielded it, hence no penalty.

I hate to admit it, I read and reread the rule book to try to find anything I was missing, but its there in black and white.

Re: its simple, I really dont understand why some people dont

Jan 12, 2016, 4:12 PM

Great explanation, better than mine.

Re: its simple, I really dont understand why some people dont

Jan 12, 2016, 7:08 PM

We were lined up too tight of formation ,., and were asleep .,

Championship game be ready for the unusual ,., We knew our special teams struggled .,

We had allowed long kick returns all year ,., Now that it bit us ., it will get an overhaul .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct and excellent explanation...

Jan 12, 2016, 8:49 PM [ in reply to its simple, I really dont understand why some people dont ]

...it sucks but it was the right call.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

You guys are so stubborn!! It went 10 yds dude...

Jan 12, 2016, 7:12 PM

That's all it has to do!!! It doesn't have to touch the ground. If Jayron had been in the vicinity and trying to field it the Bama guy could not have plucked it out of the air like that. He would've had to be given a chance to field it. But Jayron was 15 yards away! It was a totally different situation.

If the kicker grounds it, a fair catch isn't an option

Jan 12, 2016, 7:22 PM

The ball just has to go 10 yards. It doesn't matter who touches it first. If it's popped up like last night and like the sc game, a fair catch is in play, just like a punt. You can't just jump up and grab it after 10 yards. You have to let the return team attempt to field it and hope they drop it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was no one from our team within 15-20 yds of the ball

Jan 12, 2016, 7:42 PM

when it came down. It's just like with a punt. If the receiver is not in position and trying to field the punt the punting team is allowed to catch it in the air. But if the receiving team is there to receive the punt the punting team cannot interfere with him catching it. It's the exact same deal on that kick. Jayron was closest and he was nowhere near in position to field the kick. He did not attempt to fair catch it either. They got us.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,588
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic