Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So how many will we win in ncaa tourney?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

So how many will we win in ncaa tourney?

Feb 25, 2018, 8:28 PM

I was thinking elite 8. However now because of the collapse I’m thinking top 32 but hoping the prove me wrong go tigers

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who knows? Depends what seed we get.

Feb 25, 2018, 8:34 PM

If we are a 5 seed we could not get 1 win. Who knows who we are playing?

Re: Who knows? Depends what seed we get.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:25 PM

We do tend to get matched with very underrated teams when we go to the tourney with a decent seed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our struggles under Purnell were less about the team we

Feb 25, 2018, 9:33 PM

played, and more about the team we were. Purnell was a good program builder who knew how to get teams to the tournament, but the tactics used to get there were not conducive to winning games in the tournament.

It's different with Brownell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brownell is 0-4 in the NCAA tournament.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:54 PM

Yes, hopefully, this year it will be different with Brownell.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Actually he is 1-4.

Feb 25, 2018, 10:03 PM

He is 1-1 at Clemson. It's hard to hold 3 losses before Clemson against him at UNC Wilmington and Wright State.

As great as OP was at turning programs around and getting them to the NCAA Tournament, he was awful once his teams got there. It shows an amazing ability to improve programs significantly, but a poor ability to make in-game adjustments. 0-6 in the Big Dance. That's a concerning pattern, not just a bad game or two.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Brad, a play-in game gets you TO the tournament.

Feb 25, 2018, 10:13 PM

It’s not a win IN the tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Why are you so bent on discounting any success

Feb 25, 2018, 10:23 PM

our basketball team has lately? Did Brownell steal your girlfriend once or something?

I'm not. I'm hoping he shows he's as good as you rave he is.

Feb 26, 2018, 12:59 AM

Here's his chance. Again.

Re: Brad, a play-in game gets you TO the tournament.

Feb 26, 2018, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Brad, a play-in game gets you TO the tournament. ]

So the teams that lose those games were never in the tournament in the first place? Makes zero sense to me. If they're not in, might as well hold extra spots for them in the NIT when they lose.

How about viewing it as the extra round that it is? Your statement is like saying teams 10-15 aren't actually IN the ACC Tournament...that they're just playing games to get in.

Purnell was a lot like a basketball version of Paul Johnson.

Feb 25, 2018, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Our struggles under Purnell were less about the team we ]

Sort of. He used a somewhat unorthodox system or style of play that could be reasonably successful without requiring top-tier basketball (or football, in PJ's case) talent. It was a style of play that was difficult for opponents to prepare for and created unavoidable headaches for them. When more talented teams were able to beat his gimmick, however, the jig was up, thus this kind of scheme can only take you so far. I know there are rumors and such about why Purnell left, but I think it's pretty simple: He knew good and well he had hit the ceiling at Clemson, and took the $$$ when it was offered.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree. Purnell knew that he had probably accomplished

Feb 25, 2018, 10:27 PM

all he could at Clemson, and that he was not recruiting as well toward the end of his tenure here. He knew he likely wouldn't be able to sustain his run of NCAA appearances and left while he was a hot commodity. DePaul was a tough job and he knew it, but he likes a challenge and he got a substantial raise. As poorly as he handled it at Clemson (leaving in the middle of the night, not telling players, etc.) his decision to take that job makes perfect sense now.

Sweet Sixteen at least.

Feb 25, 2018, 9:34 PM

Could be more, but it will depend on matchups. Not having Grantham hurts.

Of course, we could certainly lose in the first round. Hopefully we get a good draw.

More than the last five years put together.

Feb 25, 2018, 10:30 PM

Maybe.

Winning one would be awesome...

Feb 25, 2018, 11:30 PM

anything beyond that is gravy.
We've had a good season and it's great to get back to the tourney, but I'm not expecting too much. If Grantham was healthy, I would maybe expect a good run, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if we make it beyond the 32.

Re: So how many will we win in ncaa tourney?

Feb 26, 2018, 7:33 AM

Will all of our injuries a sweet 16 appearance would be about right. Successful season and tourney.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

64-48

Feb 26, 2018, 8:47 AM

Tell 'em coot

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic