Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So how attractive a job is FSU for 2020?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

So how attractive a job is FSU for 2020?

Nov 3, 2019, 4:27 PM

Still a great opportunity, but how quickly can that out of control locomotive be stopped, put on the right track, and created some positive momentum?

In your opinion, 5 years from now, who will be the top 3 in the Atlantic, and the top 3 in the Coastal?

I will take my shot. I say that in 2025:
The Atlantic top 3 will be Clemson, Louisville, and Wake
The Coastal top 3 will be Miami, Pitt, UVA

I will go out on a limb and predict that 5 of these teams still have their current coach

Message was edited by: dsgriff®

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Borderline top 10.

Nov 3, 2019, 4:32 PM

I don't think it's quite what it used to be. Is it the best job in the ACC right now or has Clemson passed it?

I think I would rate the FSU job behind USC, Ohio St, Texas, OU, Bama, Georgia, LSU and probably even Florida. Also feel its behind Clemson right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depends on how much money they have left. *

Nov 3, 2019, 4:47 PM

!

Re: Depends on how much money they have left. *

Nov 3, 2019, 10:25 PM

The firing buyout was paid by boosters, so there should be no impact on salary of future coach.

Their facilities need to be updated

Nov 3, 2019, 4:39 PM

They have fallen behind in that category.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So how attractive a job is FSU for 2020?

Nov 3, 2019, 4:41 PM

Maybe a great opportunity, but if I were a Urban Meyer,I'd stay away from that job. He has enough headaches as is.
Just my opinion, but FSU needs to hire an up and coming Offensive Coordinator and give him the tools, and the time to (re)build the Program.It's going to take at least 5 years.
Also, don't know if our two guys have enough experience, but they should be on the "long" list if FSU decided to go that route.
And finally, don't try for a quick fix like that guy at Notre Dame(Brian Kelly)),who probably saved his job until the end of the year by eeking out a 1 point win over Va.Tech yesterday.

awesome they might pay you over 20 million dollars

Nov 3, 2019, 4:46 PM

for less than 2 years worth of work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 4:46 PM

Top 5...somewhere between Southern Cal and Arizona.

Isn't Tallahassee a flatter version of Columbia...

Nov 3, 2019, 4:51 PM

But closer to a swamp? Is that attractive?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tallahassee has hills too but it doesn't matter

Nov 3, 2019, 5:05 PM

Because vs. Clemson, both have been underwater for years.

FSU job is not top 10 in my opinion and most big name

Nov 3, 2019, 7:08 PM

coaches are probably going to "pass" on FSU unless the money is absolutely insane. Hiring Taggart was probably a big mistake, but firing him with less than two years on the job will probably compound their mistake even more.

Read this article from 2017:
https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21770278/florida-state-seminoles-president-john-thrasher-opens-facilities-jimbo-fisher

Key line from the article:
"My view of Jimbo was he wanted to model things after Nick Saban and the SEC and Alabama," Thrasher said Thursday in an interview with The Associated Press. "I'm OK with that to a point but I'm also not going to put Florida State at risk in terms of debt and the responsibility to other programs. Him and I had an understanding about that."

FSU is falling way behind in the facility arms race in comparison to top 10 programs. Back when this article was written, Thrasher was adamant FSU did not need upgraded facilities (or in their case - facilities dedicated to football) and was part of the reason for the Taggart hire (Taggart thought he could make do with what they had and would not ask for new facilities). Here we are today, and instead of taking that $20 million in donor money and applying it to be competitive in facilities, that donor money is going to pay Taggart and staff NOT to coach. So instead of going into debt for facilities, they are more than likely going into debt over coaching hires. Thank God Clemson wasn't/isn't this short sighted...

Lastly - college football coaching is a fraternity. I'm quite sure a lot of college coaches may not think Willie Taggart is a great coach, but they also know that firing any coach (short of character/morality issues) in less than two years is not giving that coach a fair chance to succeed. I think this whole thing is going to bite FSU in the keester and as I've said in another thread - FSU is at a real risk of becoming the Tennessee of the ACC...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2019, 8:37 PM

A decent coach - think of a guy at the level of Mark Richt, not spectacular but good - could go 9-3 easily at FSU. They have 3 games per year that are in doubt in terms of talent differential, and that's Clemson, UF, and Miami. After that, they rarely play anyone with as many athletes as they have.

So, I think FSU is still a top 2 job in the ACC, second only to Clemson currently. I give FSU a nod over Miami, because they have more and better fans (usually).

It's a very attractive job, and don't kid yourself into thinking it's second-tier. The state of Florida is loaded with talent, and FSU can recruit, even if their facilities aren't Saban-esque.

Nov 3, 2019, 10:23 PM

It will be the premiere open coaching position this year. Doubly so since the incoming coach would be following a failed coach.
I think it will go back to Clemson-FSU battling it out for the division by 2022.
I don’t buy 5 year rebuilding requirements for schools that sit in the middle of a huge recruiting ocean (as is Florida).
Providing they get a great hire, They only need 3 years to be back in the mix.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic