Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, for those who went to the spring game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 2,785

So, for those who went to the spring game

Apr 10, 2017, 9:11 PM

how would you rank the 4 quarterbacks based on what you saw? Consider their performance as well as how it fits with what our offense needs. You can add a comment on who you think has the best upside, based on what you saw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: So, for those who went to the spring game

Apr 10, 2017, 9:18 PM

If I were to rank the QBs that are the best fit for our offense:
1. Cooper - best balance of running and passing
2. Bryant - Best runner and leadership
3. Johnson - probably has the best potential
4. Israel - just not ready to start right now

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet Israel had the best stats***

Apr 10, 2017, 9:22 PM

Apr 10, 2017, 9:28 PM [ in reply to Re: So, for those who went to the spring game ]

I think Israel looked the best Saturday. Not saying he has all Spring or will continue to, but he looked better than anyone else. Johnson didn't look terrible if you factor in that he just got on campus and is so new to everything. I think he realized what he did wrong right when it happened.

Bryant definitely ran the ball well.

Disagree

Apr 10, 2017, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Re: So, for those who went to the spring game ]

If I were handicapping just on what I saw Saturday and the Kent State game was tomorrow, Tucker Israel would start.

Thankfully, we fans won't be making any decisions on behalf of the coaches based on what we saw Saturday ... ;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went to the spring game

Apr 10, 2017, 9:22 PM

But just can't handicap at this point. TOO many variables and intangibles, IMHO....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Yes, and one thing we have to all remember is the

Apr 10, 2017, 9:43 PM

offensive line was split up. No QB had the luxury of the full first team offensive line. That said, I do hope they don't award the starting position to someone who is not a good passer. It is one thing too be young and inexperienced, but another to be one dimensional and trying to develop as a passer. At this level there is no time for that. We don't want to have all the receiver talent in the world and a playbook that is geared for great run/pass balance and then have a QB with a passing talent that is limited.

Re: I went to the spring game

Apr 11, 2017, 12:06 AM [ in reply to I went to the spring game ]

Believe I will leave it up to the coaches. I did like Israel. Johnson looked like a high schooler physically. Coopers release was a little slow at times. Bryant appeared to be the most confident at running the offense............

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Casual observation ... none of the guys had much of a chance

Apr 10, 2017, 9:27 PM

All of them had a couple of pretty good moments and a bunch of plays where they looked pretty bad.

I thought the ineffectiveness of the pass protection made it impossible to gauge anything about how the QBs might do with a little bit of time.

Honestly, it seemed as if the pocket would collapse almost instantaneously and the QB could never wait long enough for a receiver to shake loose down field.

Add to that, the snaps were not particularly consistent and the coordination with the snap and the motion man seemed to be out of synch much of the time.

Also, some of the receivers weren't doing a very good job of holding on to the ball.

Bottom line for me: It was a typical spring game.

The coaches will have to grade individual performances after watching a lot of film to ascertain the things that weren't immediately apparent to us fans up in the stands expecting one of the QBs to have a breakout game and become the obvious #1 for the coming year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Casual observation ... none of the guys had much of a chance

Apr 10, 2017, 10:16 PM

I agree. And in regards to the WR's, Cain did not look good at all (other than his speed and getting past a DB when the ball was in the air), yet I am sure Cain will be very good this Fall.

People will say Johnson didn't impress at all, but I thought he made some decent decisions and most of his issues were timing with the WR's.

Re: Some observations, for what it's worth

Apr 10, 2017, 9:39 PM

QBs - Competition is still wide open and will be until late in fall practice. I think KB or ZC would start now, but HJ is going to be good and should challenge for significant playing time early in the season. Tucker looked good, but it seemed like he had to scramble to get a passing lane.

RBs - Again, all looked good. CJ looks ready to step up and Feaster hit the holes hard without much dancing. Tavien also looked explosive in the return game

WRs - Duh, we too deep

TEs - work in progress

OL - I was actually very impressed with the O-line. We know we're 8 - 10 deep on the D-line, so splitting them up didn't matter as much. We ran two units on offence split between 1st and 2nd team and they did pretty well against what I truly believe will be the best D-line in the country.

D-line - Duh, part deaux. I was watching the white team D-line warm up in the East end zone and they looked mammoth. The best shade I got all day was when they stood up and blocked out the sun.

LBs - We have grown a$$ men out there that get to you fast with an attitude. They also appeared to drop back in coverage much better than we have in the past.

DBs - Good mix of veterans and young guys. Seemed to play physical.

Take the above with a grade of slaw, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Spot the #### ball

Tucker Israel looked great at times, terrible at others

Apr 10, 2017, 9:44 PM

Bryant did well running, but his passing game needs major work. Johnson looked like the best talent, but he didn't know the playbook or schemes well enough to make a big impact. His major problem was timing issues, especially with Cornell Powell. Cooper was rather haphazard. In all honesty, a lot of this could have been how great the defense is, but I digress:
Bryant
Johnson (I think he's probably the best but needs time to work with the playbook)
Israel
Cooper

Clemson_Alumnus = marlborocountycoot

Apr 11, 2017, 8:30 AM

Based on what I saw from the Spring game?

Apr 10, 2017, 9:48 PM

1) Tucker. He had some nice passes. Took some big shots. Best looking passer out of the bunch. He relied on the RBs to get some tough yards...he didn't run much himself which is fine. We've got the horses for that.

2) Johnson. Glad we have a Johnson on our team. He stood erect in the face of our D. He had to scramble a bit at times, but you can see his athleticism. He also but a nice touch on the ball on his TD pass. I think the ceiling is highest for him out of the QBs.

3) Cooper. Had some good passes and picked up some tough yards with his feet. Nothing really jumped out to me with him. He just seemed serviceable and maybe a good balance.

4) Bryant. Amazing runner, but the downfield passing left A LOT to be desired. Some passes were several yards out of bounds. I know his finger may have effected that...we'll see if that improves with time.

who knows.. IT was PRACTICE... we talkin bout practice here

Apr 10, 2017, 9:52 PM

we talking bout practice.. not a real game.. practice.. are we talking about practice... practice

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Apr 10, 2017, 9:53 PM

I was there; looked like a scrimmage to me. Defense was nasty. QB's felt there heat.

Tucker was the most consistant under pressure with the sharpest passes. Kelly could pivot on a tight rope; he's got amazing balance and running moves. Hunter got off to a rough start not all his fault but did show promise. Cooper can throw it with power but missed the receiver too much.

Apr 10, 2017, 10:09 PM

1. Israel. He has a lot of experience around the system. If a game manager is what they are looking for he's the guy. We can win 10-11 games,with Tucker.
2. Johnson would be my second. He brings the arm strength and mobility to run the entire playbook.
3. Cooper throws a tight good looking ball. His delivery looks to be long. It could be his long arms. The ball explodes out but he seems to have to wind up.
4. Bryant. Sorry but I saw him at Wren and last year. If we want to limit these great recievers and run only 60% of the playbook then we can go with Kelly. Great kid but not a fit for this offense. 8-9 wins. FSU, Auburn, and Va tech will load the box and play the zone read against him. He can't beat you throwing the ball.

It's only April but that's how my take.

Apr 10, 2017, 10:09 PM

1. Cooper - Looked most in control. Did take him a while to get going but his final drive was great once he got it going

2. Bryant - Has great athleticism and you could definitely tell he knew the offense best. Giving him a pass on his passing due to the finger. Downside to him is he is a one read and run type of guy. Could present issues against good teams

3a. Johnson- Had the only TD pass but he was jumpy the whole game. Very antsy back there and just seemed like the game was too fast for him at times. Some say he had bad snaps and bad blocking but him and Cooper were on the same team and Cooper didn't have nearly the issues catching snaps. I think he could greatly improve once the game starts slowing down for him

3b. Israel- Probably the most consistent guy during the game but just doesn't have the measurable. Ball looks considerably slower coming out of his hand and he is going to struggle to see over the o line and not have balls batted down. Kind of dinked and dunked his way to the best stats of the day.

All about even; very little if any separation.

Apr 11, 2017, 12:32 AM

Kelly tore a tendon in his throwing hand in the first series, so it's impossible and would be absurd to fairly critique his passing game based on anything Saturday. He's a #### of a runner though, and was very effective on designed runs as well as scrambling, and his experience in this offense was evident.

Hunter Johnson looked way better than I expected for a true freshman that's barely been here 3 months. He is very athletic and will cause defenses fits with his legs. He generally looked like he knew where to go with the ball, but still made a few bad throws when he pressed a little too hard. He made a beautiful mid-range TD throw. Overall he has the most upside.

Zerrick Cooper really surprised me with his mobility and running ability. I was under the impression that he was strictly a drop-back pocket passer, but he has decent wheels; no Kelly Bryant or Hunter Johnson in that department, but no slouch either. As advertised, he has a cannon, but struggled like most of the others, and made some bad throws. He did complete a string of fairly easy throws later in the game and led a nice drive.

Overall, Tucker Israel had the best day. He looked to be in command of the offense and and knew where to go with the ball. I don't think he has a cannon for an arm, but that was not really evident nor did it appear to be a factor Saturday.

Bottom line, nobody grabbed the ring Saturday and claimed the prize. If coaches thought Kelly had the edge before, then he surely does after. There's not a Deshaun Watson in the bunch based on Saturday, and that could cost us a few games this year. Having said that, it was a spring "game", and I don't know how much we can gleen from it. I would say that right now we have 4 pretty equal QBs that we can win with. How many and with which one will depend on how they improve over the summer and in fall camp, and whether or not one really steps up.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Apr 11, 2017, 9:06 AM

My biggest concern is which QB can step up and be a leader. The coaches can work with all of the QB's to make them better. But which one of them will develop that leadership presence when he takes the field.

That's one thing I could always feel even as a fan was DW's presence and leadership as soon as he stepped onto the field. He gave you the feeling of confidence that everything's going to be ok. We will win this game. I can here DW in the huddle telling the guys "Just trust me" Best examples of that was the final drive against Bama in 2016 NC game.

That's what I am looking for in the next QB, that presence and confidence when his steps on the field. I want the offense to have faith and trust in him. A confidence that he can lead them down the field for the winning drive.

Right now I don't know who that will be.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really like all the people that rolls their eyes at this

Apr 11, 2017, 10:16 AM

topic and comment that we aren't coaches. No we aren't coaches but I thought that is what this board was for.

Anyway, based only on what I saw. The offense moved the best under Tucker although I doubt he starts. Hunter looked pretty good but had little time to read the D. I thought Zerrick looked better as the day went on and I personally hoped he would win the nod heading into the summer. Kelly looked the least stellar to me and that is concerning considering he has been in the program a long time and has great talent, at least with his legs. I am for moving him to TE.

In other news, I thought Feaster finally looked pretty good and I could see us rotating backs every few drives.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2017, 10:29 AM

1. Israel looked teh best but he won't start because he's too small.
2. Johnson has the highest ceiling. He had the best throws when he had time to pass.
3. Cooper look alright but a little lost
4. Bryant overthrew a 2 yd pass into the flat. He has wheels but our system revolves around a pass first offense. Not an LJ offense.

Replies: 21
| visibility 2,785
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic