Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My thoughts on the '24 Clemson-UGA game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

My thoughts on the '24 Clemson-UGA game

Aug 31, 2018, 9:01 PM

I'm torn on this announcement. 1, I'm excited for the fact that the rivalry is getting renewed. However, I'm disappointed that it's going to be a "neutral" site game in Atlanta instead of the home & home many of us were hoping for when word came out earlier this summer that the 2 schools were looking @ scheduling a game.

Obviously I know several things worked against the home & home. The most obvious 1s are the ACC scheduling agreement w/ ND (which has spread them out & leaves uneven gaps between the years CU & ND play). The other is the fact that the home/away dates for our respective in-state rivalries fall together. Both schools obviously want 7 home games, but someone's gonna have to sacrifice 1 to make a home & home line up. Georgia did that in '13 to come to Death Valley & ended up w/ only 6 home games, on top of playing their 2 biggest rivals away from home (@ GT & Florida in Jacksonville). In '14, it worked out for both. For 2021 & 2024 to have worked for a home & home, someone would've had to cave & I'm willing to bet UGA would've wanted Clemson to return the favor. & given Dabo's comments about playing 7 home games, I'm sure that idea would've flown like a pig tied to a ton of bricks.

Which leads me to the wild card of this...the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff. Both teams have had history playing in it, & it gives advantages to both schools. Clemson played in '08 & '12 there - on even numbered years when we played SC @ home. So we get our 7 home games & play a big name opponent away from home in a city that we travel to very well. Now for UGA, the 2 years they've been it, they've only played 6 games in Athens. But I see that as their out for giving up the 7th home game since the neutral site game is in their home state. & for it to be an even number year, that means they get a big name opponent in their home state & a 6 game home slate that has a big game w/ GT going to Athens. So as much as many of us prefer doing home & home games w/ a big time opponent, it looks like this announcement was, for now, the only way to get Clemson & Georgia on the field.

Now obviously, this leaves us in a bind for 2021 as I doubt a power 5 school is going to want to come to us that year & have to wait several years for us to return the favor. My hope is that we can get a name G5 school like Boise to do a 1 off trip to DV (like TCU did in '09) & that there will eventually be an announcement for a Clemson-UGA home & home somewhere dow the road.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the 21 slate was locked with UCONN, Wyoming, SCAR

Aug 31, 2018, 9:43 PM

and more than likely the usual game against an instate school like Coastal, Furman or Wofford that has yet to be named.

The Notre Dame dates are a mess. The ACC needs to fix that or let us out of some of them so some real powers can be scheduled. Those games just don't excite anymore.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So far there's still 1 date open in '21

Aug 31, 2018, 10:18 PM

I figure that if a big game in DV was on the table, the school would do what it could to make it happen.

As for the ND game, it still has appeal (go back to the 2015 game as proof). But the way they did it hurts our programs. For many of the other programs it works for them, but for us, it affects us trying to schedule that big time home & home series w/ another school b/c instead of doing a series in back to back seasons, we'll be asking a school to wait almost a decade for us to return the favor. I could only see a lesser school in a P5 school agreeing to that or highly respected mid major, but not 1 of the schools striving to be 'elite'.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts on the 24 season

Aug 31, 2018, 10:50 PM

Most coots don’t have enough fingers to count to 11.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic