Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Robin Williams coverage is a little saddening. It's a
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

The Robin Williams coverage is a little saddening. It's a

Aug 12, 2014, 9:48 AM

praise-fest!!

The Academy tweeted out "Geenie, you're free!!"

HE KILLED HIMSELF!! It's suicide, the most selfish act in the entire world!! It's not something that should be glorified or sympathized. It's not a pain-killer, it's not an acceptable escape or a simple passage. It's an act that reverbirates through generations!!

Yet the media is practically celebrating not just the man, but the act!!

He isn't freed and he didn't just "move on to a bigger comedy stage." He didn't leave the earth so that he could make God laugh!! He killed himself.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

It's not your fault***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:52 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know.***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:53 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Re: I know.***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:54 AM

It's not your fault.

I know.***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:54 AM

No. It's not your fault.***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:55 AM

Don't f@#% with me!!***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

Do you like apples?***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:08 AM

Applesauce, b!%*h.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:09 AM

Yep, these same yappers would #### on a soldier's grave.***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:53 AM

Not everyone believes in your God

Aug 12, 2014, 9:55 AM

Have some awareness and some sympathy.

Re: Not everyone believes in your God

Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 AM

Didn't see any mention of god by him. Believer or non-believer--Suicide is wrong. It may be a quick end to ones suffering but that pain is always passed on to others. Now he has two kids and a wife carrying that burden..

This could start something interesting***

Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Not everyone believes in your God ]

I didn't insert theology at all.

Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Not everyone believes in your God ]

Suicide should not become acceptable in this country.

And I DO have sympathy.

Classof08 is turning into Classof09.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Not everyone believes in your God ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

That's true. Not everyone gets into heaven either !***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Not everyone believes in your God ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

More like no one gets into Heaven..

Aug 12, 2014, 10:42 AM

I wish we could actually look at issues without trying to guees how God feels about it. You know, look at something for face value rather than arguing over interpretations of an ancient book.

Ironic really, if you think about it....

Aug 12, 2014, 11:05 AM [ in reply to Not everyone believes in your God ]

Those with the best lives, with money, fame, and everything you could ever want, are also the most miserable and depressed. Hollywood is the crucible for this irony. You see it with darn near every child star who doesn't get the heck out of Hollywood before adulthood.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So a man kills himself

Aug 12, 2014, 9:59 AM

And you decide it is your personal moral duty to remind the rest of us that based on your beliefs (of the religious nature, I would presume) what he did was wrong? Anyone who possesses any semblance of logic would be hard-pressed to argue that killing yourself is taking the high ground, or a good deed. Maybe, just maybe, people want to place focus on his amazing ability to bring laughter and joy to many of us, which I have found has been the best remedy for life's tragic flaws.

If only you could've gotten to Rob sooner. I'm sure your perspective would've completely erased his debilitating depression.

Re: So a man kills himself

Aug 12, 2014, 10:04 AM

If your non-believing, want to be a FFRF ### offed yourself, would it cause any hurt to anyone? I think that was his point. Again doesn't have anything to do with religion. Praise him for his talent, he had a ton but people need to know, especially kids that there are other options beyond suicide.

I'm not sure this post merits

Aug 12, 2014, 10:10 AM

An intelligible response on my end, but I'm pretty sure you just made the leap from me expressing an opinion and a perspective on a situation to assuming I'm undermining Christianity? Yikes.

RIP Rob.

Re: I'm not sure this post merits

Aug 12, 2014, 10:15 AM

Lol not at all..I believe the posters original post talked about this being disturbing because of the media glorifying Robin Williams killing himself. You mentioned religion and tried to make it seem like he was pushing his beliefs. Funny how non-believers will attack someone who believes in a simple conversation about right and wrong..He didn't mention religion, he mentioned right and wrong. Glad your interpertation of right and wrong does involve religion..May be time to really examine your views.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:19 AM

The whole post and the entire news story has nothing to do with religion. Anyone trying to spin this into some type of religious related story is simply using a current event to push their beliefs or ideas.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 AM

I agree, so why did you mention it, when the lead post never did?

Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15638423

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=15638461

Because of the multiple post bringing religion into the discussion.

Fretiger

Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm not sure this post merits ]

I'm going to ask this one more time for you.

In what part of any of my responses did I claim to be a "non-believer"? It's called being aware. You are the reason people stereotype those of us with strong faith.

Re: Fretiger

Aug 12, 2014, 10:24 AM

YOU BROUGHT UP RELIGION..The inital post did not

Killing yourself is sometimes a courageous thing to do.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:10 AM [ in reply to So a man kills himself ]

A person whose body is eaten up with inoperable cancer and pain would be one example.

Young people who haven't experienced the gradual decline and death of a loved one(s) often don't understand.

Society's ideas about suicide and assisted suicide need to change so that people can have greater control over how they die.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Killing yourself is sometimes a courageous thing to do.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:14 AM

There may be certain circumstances where it may be less-selfish. But when a society starts accepting suicide as part of the norm, that society starts to rot from within.

Dude, just stop

Aug 12, 2014, 10:18 AM

Do you even understand statistics? Or what the word norm means? An extremely small percentage of our society kills themselves, thus making suicide an anomalous behavior and deviant by definition. We fully understand your agenda here.

Gotcha, DUDE!!

Aug 12, 2014, 10:19 AM

Millenials!! SMH

Re: Dude, just stop

Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Dude, just stop ]

More suicides occur than what are reported..Much more than a small precentage. Especially in the Elderly. Ever hear the stories of "Tom shot hisself cleaning his gun" or "Ol Betsy took the wrong medicines". As far as teens and young adults, not as much. Usually because the use less lethal means like wrist cutting..I know statistics and you are wrong

Well, what are they?

Aug 12, 2014, 10:23 AM

Provide the statistics and let's have a discussion as to whether they are statistically significant, or not.

Re: Well, what are they?

Aug 12, 2014, 10:26 AM

Ever lose a family member to suicide. Know anyone who lost a child to suicide..All are pretty important..but here you go:

From 1999 to 2010, the suicide rate among Americans ages 35 to 64 rose by nearly 30 percent, to 17.6 deaths per 100,000 people, up from 13.7.

[Snip]

The most pronounced increases were seen among men in their 50s, a group in which suicide rates jumped by nearly 50 percent, to about 30 per 100,000. For women, the largest increase was seen in those ages 60 to 64, among whom rates increased by nearly 60 percent, to 7.0 per 100,000.

Real suicide rates may be even higher than these reported rates, since many suicides are not reported as such and are falsely attributed to accident.

Now keep in mind those rates are heavily overreported. But if anyone follows up to his suicide with their own, then thats one to many for me..What say you?

So what you are saying

Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 AM

Is that about .0176% of Americans aged 35-64 killed themselves from 1999-2010?

And yes, my grandfather and brother-in-law killed themselves. Don't see what it has to do with our discussion though. Trust me I don't celebrate it and nobody else is.

TO say it is rare is incorrect...

Aug 12, 2014, 10:47 AM

According to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), suicide is the third leading cause of death for youth between the ages of 10 and 24, resulting in approximately 4,600 lives lost each year.

A recent study by the American Journal of Public Health, revealed that suicide now takes more American lives than motor vehicle crashes, which was the leading cause of death by injury between 2000 and 2008.

And to compare suicide deaths to living people is seriously twisting statistics. You need to comapre to other causes of death.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TO say it is rare is incorrect...AGREED!!

Aug 12, 2014, 10:55 AM

Thats why he is good at stats..He can pick and pull to appease his point

I don't agree with that at all. As you experience death

Aug 12, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Killing yourself is sometimes a courageous thing to do. ]

as you go through life and the physical and mental pain that many of those people experience during their lives, you develop a better understanding. Nobody is celebrating suicide.

Walk a mile in another man's shoes first before you climb up on that horse. Some might argue that it is your attitude that is the selfish one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^^Found One.....***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:26 AM [ in reply to So a man kills himself ]

I'm all for celebrating his life. But celebrating the act of

Aug 12, 2014, 10:01 AM

suicide should not be glorified. It certainly causes a lot of hurt for loved ones.

Caddie gets it?

Aug 12, 2014, 10:04 AM

I'm gonna' have to reassess my original post.

Ever read Ayn Rand?

Aug 12, 2014, 10:04 AM [ in reply to I'm all for celebrating his life. But celebrating the act of ]

I'm pretty sure it is in the majority of people's interests to remain alive. This is not a moral concern. A mental state resulting in non-survival based decision-making goes against what it means to be "human" and should be further investigated rather than criticized.

Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on

Aug 12, 2014, 10:05 AM

depression and ailments of the mind? What was your stance on Junior Seau? Was it more or less selfish for him to commit suicide since his depression was concussion-related?

Smh...

Re: Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on

Aug 12, 2014, 10:06 AM

No it wasn't selfish and he had a medical aliment. But glorifying suicide as he mentioned above is wrong.

Maybe i haven't been watching enough TV or something

but in what way is this being "glorified?"

Re: Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on

Aug 12, 2014, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on ]

It's not a glorification of suicide, it's a glorification of the mans life and body of work. No one is commending Robin Williams for committing suicide, no one is saying if you want to be loved go kill yourself. Most people are shocked to hear this news, many are hurt, and those closest to him are devastated. He was a funny man that brought laughter to millions of people and he took that away from us. Was what he done terrible? yes, selfish? you can make the argument for and many would say yes. However, you can not nullify or trash the man's whole life for one act he committed to himself while he was obviously in a terribly dark place. Was he perfect no, no one is, but his body of work was great enough to be looked at, appreciated, and honored in the wake of his death.

Junior Seau was handled much more appropriately by the media

Aug 12, 2014, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on ]

His suicide was never celebrated or given the aurora of a mythicla passage.

No matter the reason, you cannot argue that suicide isn't a selfish act. But I'm not arguing about mental health.. I'm despairing at the social view of suicide when it comes to certian celebrities.

Are you?***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:21 AM [ in reply to Sorry, but this post is horrible. Are you an expert on ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Who cares. 99% of those celebrities are nut cases.***

^^^Most accurate post so far in this thread***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:23 AM

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

So maybe an effort should be made to get them help

Aug 12, 2014, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Who cares. 99% of those celebrities are nut cases.*** ]

instead of dismissing them as inhuman.

Who's supposed to get them help? They have money.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:37 AM

They can get their own help.

Sure they have the money

Aug 12, 2014, 10:46 AM

but anyone who is having those sort of problems, rich and famous or not, has to have some kind of support network to encourage them to seek help and to stand behind them.

Saying "eh, all of those celebrities are nuts anyway" doesn't help anybody.

Sorry, I don't feel sorry for them. We all have problems.

Aug 12, 2014, 4:31 PM

And like I said, all of those celebrities are nuts anyway

Yeah, dehumanizing an entire group is the way to help.***

Aug 12, 2014, 6:44 PM

I hope you never suffer with severe depression.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:25 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Me too. Thanks for wishing that for me.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:31 AM

Re: Me too. Thanks for wishing that for me.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 AM

Let's see.... I hope you never have to experience the herpes or malaria.

When someone who touched so many lives passes

Aug 12, 2014, 10:25 AM

Their life should be celebrated. I realize he (likely) took his own life and that suicide is a terrible, terrible thing, but a man like Robin Williams who inspired so many with roles in movies like Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting, and made so many people laugh in his more light-hearted roles deserves to be remembered for the way he lived, not the way he died.

His death should also serve as a reminder that sometimes the happiest, funniest, most talented people around us are the ones who are hurting the most inside, and that those people need to be reminded that they are loved and needed and not alone just as much as anyone else.

He was one of the best. That is why all of the coverage.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:27 AM

It's depressing that this man who made us all laugh had such a problem with depression and addiction. He gift made us all forget our own troubles for just a little while. Meanwhile he was struggling with his own. Very sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree he was one of the best. Funny man that could play a

Aug 12, 2014, 10:30 AM

serious straight role. He has a LOT of influence.

But the hyperbole that has been associated with his suicide seems to condone the act itself.

True. They are the same folks that would euthanize Grandma

Aug 12, 2014, 10:34 AM

if need be.

Yes, it is a selfish act.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:31 AM

However. You're holier than thou stance on it is callous. You have obviously never dealt with or had a loved one who dealt with addiction and/or severe depression. It's a very sad situation especially for his family.

Sometimes there just isn't enough help for some people. It's a really terrible disease.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

You don't know how wrong you are.***

Aug 12, 2014, 10:33 AM

If I am then my apologies. I agree with the premise.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:35 AM

And I really haven't seen anyone "glorifying" the act.

GO TIGERS!!

My first reaction to the news was to be

Aug 12, 2014, 10:36 AM

royally pi$$ed off. Not because what he did was selfish. I haven't walked a mile in his shoes. And not because his suicide is being "glorified." Really? It was simply because there isn't any apparent sense in it.

Having reflected on it, I'm still a little pi$$ed because I have always enjoyed him and now he's needlessly gone.

But, come on. Who the EFF are you to judge that man?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

I understand exactly how you feel.

Aug 12, 2014, 10:38 AM

Someone once offered me a gift, but it was actually just a recipe that I had to make myself, and not really a gift. Kind of almost like pretty much the same thing, if you stop and think about it long enough to ponder it.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You had to ponder a recipe?

Aug 12, 2014, 11:05 AM

Samantha as opposed to Christian, I presume.

It depends. If a person commits suicide in order to

Aug 12, 2014, 10:43 AM

punish others (as is often the case), then it is extremely selfish. If they do it to end suffering that has become unbearable and/or there is no hope for quality of life, then it is very reasonable, and people who care about them understand this in most cases.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

absolutely disgustingly ignorant post

Aug 12, 2014, 10:50 AM

yours, sir, is perhaps the most vile, revolting, and ignorant post in the history of T-Net - and not in a good way. Your ignorance of serious mental health issues is a disgrace to tigerfans everywhere. Please crawl back into whatever cousin humping, Bible thumping hole from which you emerged.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Methinks you are missing 75% of the gist of the intent

Aug 12, 2014, 10:53 AM

of the OP

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

I'm certainly not going to argue for suicide

Aug 12, 2014, 10:52 AM

But I'm not sure that I see it as the *most* selfish act in the world. I think perhaps more selfish than suicide would be taking the life of another person while keeping yours.

But I get your point. I just think you can remember the good a man did and celebrate his life. You can attempt to understand the demons a man wrestles with and lament that he succumbed to them in the end. All without needing to constantly say out loud "what a selfish act suicide is".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Was gonna write a long, scathing rebuke...

Aug 12, 2014, 9:35 PM

pointing out your logical flaws, your self-centered moralistic grandiloquence, and your hilarious self-righteousness...

but instead I'll just say "You're a d*ck, dude."

Shut the f**k up.

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic