Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Wilkie and Owen are gone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

So Wilkie and Owen are gone

Jun 5, 2019, 2:46 PM

From what I can tell they’re gone, the pitcher from Georgia who is committed to us got drafted in the 12th as well but not sure if he will go? Heard he fell bc of an overslot value which is good for us. So other than Log, Nunez, Wilkie, and Owen is that all the guys were gonna lose that have eligibility left? I doubt Carson leaves and you’d think the rest of the guys we have committed that get drafted would rather come to school than take late round money. Kinda surprised Owen and Wilkie got drafted as high as they did, especially with Owens command issues. Will miss them on next year’s team for sure but the future looks bright, I’m proceeding with some cautious optimism for next year!

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Wilkie and Owen are gone

Jun 5, 2019, 2:58 PM

I think all of the signees except Nunez will be on the team next season. When HS guys fall outside of the 10th round its because they gave teams a big number to sign them away from college and no team would do it. So with Collyer I think he ends up at Clemson. Also I put out a tweet on how big it was going to be for Monte to finally get his top signees on campus and Collyer retweeted it so I took that to mean he was coming to school. I was also surprised to see Wilkie and Griffith go that high, especially Griffith going before Spiers. But C are a hot commodity, especially ones who hit for average like Wilkie so it kind of makes sense a team would take a shot at it. Griffith has really big time strike out stuff but also has 38 walks in 59 career innings. That's not good so im surprised someone went with him that early. Im more concerned with how pitchers are developing at Clemson. They don't seem to be developing like they should. Arizona State fired their pitching coach today because they got embarrassed in their regional. Think we could see some changes on our staff as well. Something has to change. Monte is the right guy imo but the coaches around him are not very highly thought of in the coaching world.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 3:10 PM

I tend to agree with your assessment but I’m not one who calls for a coaches head when things go wrong. I will say this, and I truly believe this to be a problem with our team. The Tigers pitchers need to be taught from DAYONE to develop a strike out pitch. I did not see that this year. When a good pitcher gets that second strike on a hitter he should be in command of the game. If you watched the games closely, as I did, you know this is a problem. But it can be fixed or greatly improved. That third strike.. out pitch... is a biggie. A good pitching coach can turn this staff around in one off season if the guys are willing to put the work in. The catcher is a big part of this too!

Jun 5, 2019, 3:40 PM

It’s sad how much this board has turned on Andrew See just because the pitching FINALLY had a down year. It’s just excuses to defend Monte. Monte can’t develop a freaking swing and this board wants to ? Coach see. Pitching was fine the last 3 years and we couldn’t score #### and that’s why we didn’t win in regionals. Yet we defend monte and say “give him time” he’s a “great coach”
What a freaking joke. Did y’all not see us score all of 3 runs vs ole miss and Jax st????? It wouldn’t have mattered who was pitching. Scoring runs is problem #1. I saw a post earlier that said our pitching gives up early runs and that’s why our offense struggles hahahahaha what!!!???? Why can’t the offense score a bunch early to help the pitching? ### people. We only gave up six runs verse Ole Miss @ their place. Anybody who thinks we should’ve done better than that, just look at the runs they scored other than that game and look at how many double digits games the sec had. 6 runs was formidable. 1 run with the bats is pathetic.

Jun 5, 2019, 4:14 PM

The first game of the season indicated to me many of our players needed batting instructions and made a post on this board or another board regarding this issue. First off, I am not an expert. I was not a good player but I did learn a few things about the game and coached Little League in Florida for several years. First, one must learn to develop a swing and. second, one must learn to recognize a pitch. Stance is important but I've seen lots of good hitters with a horrible stance.

A player must learn to bat within his limitations. A player who is a single or doubles hitter should not approach the place hoping to hit a home run, but bat to his potential. We've stranded so many runners on base for the lack of a single, often time this year with the bases loaded and an opportunity to win the game. We fans clamor for the home run but let the home run hitters do their job. Their singles and doubles will score the runs more often than not.

Being able to recognize pitches is not an easy task. We often keep the bat on our shoulder when the ball is there for our taking and swing at a pitch more suitable for a pitching wedge rather than a baseball bat. The batter has very little time to process all of the necessary information when the ball is coming at the batter at a speed of 90 MPH. This is where training, practice and instinct play an important role.

It's easy for us fans who sit in the stands to criticize players and their play on he field but we sometimes have the ability to recognize correctable issues.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2019, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: So Wilkie and Owen are gone ]

We gave up 6 runs. Ole Miss is ranked 49 @6.7 runs per game. We’re ranked 60 @6.6 runs per game. We lost a ton of high scoring games.

We scored enough runs but that’s not to say our hitting can’t improve but we were head to head with ole miss score wise.

Look at the the CWS pitchers, pitching wins games. Home runs are pretty but good pitching beats good hitting almost every time.

You have to win the 3-2, 1-0 games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2019, 5:43 PM

Why are you talking about what teams do in Omaha? We’re discussing how to win a regional. 1 run won’t get it done. We also lost many games this year because the offense couldn’t score. Scoring runs has been s problem for 3 years. Pitching is just becoming a problem and people can’t wait to call that aspect of the game out and aren’t willing to give Andrew See time when he’s actually developed an arm or 2. Monte hasn’t developed chit

Jun 12, 2019, 5:45 PM [ in reply to Re: So Wilkie and Owen are gone ]

You do realize your first paragraph completely proves my point. We held them to 6 runs which is just under what they avg @ their place and pitching is the problem??? We score 1 run when we average 6.6 and it’s ok cause that’s montes department and we just can’t be calling out the head man. You idiots treat him like he’s a biblical figure or some ####

So, what is the last day to sign a

Jun 5, 2019, 8:27 PM

pro contract?

Re: So, what is the last day to sign a

Jun 10, 2019, 3:02 PM

July 12th, i think.

See is fine, so is Monte. He will finally have all of "his" guys for the first time next season. It will be interesting to see how that goes. I think the pain of this year bears fruit for the Tigers next year and beyond. Players have to buy in.....they have to want it and when they aren't performing and getting time, they often quit working as hard. I thought we had a shot in 17 and 18 to get to a Super and see what happened....those regionals sucked for sure. Let's see what ML does with his group next year..i think it's gonna be alright.

Jun 10, 2019, 6:56 PM

July 15.

Jun 12, 2019, 5:48 PM [ in reply to Re: So, what is the last day to sign a ]

He had his guys this year. Lame excuse. Unless Grayson byrd wasn’t but he was the best hitter on the team so there goes the “he still has Leggett leftovers excuse”

Jun 12, 2019, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Re: So, what is the last day to sign a ]

Montes teams have gradually gotten worse as Jacks recruits have fallen off.

When batter No.9 has the same approach as batter No.4, u have issues at it begins with coaching. Next year will be same as the year before.

And Joe21 is right, I was at the So. Alabama series and you could tell the approach at the plate had not changed. The only difference was Beer and Williams weren't there to bail the offense out this year

Jun 12, 2019, 7:10 PM

Best post in a while

I know little baseball ,but I saw us swinging at balls

Jun 12, 2019, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: So, what is the last day to sign a ]

not close to strikes all yr. & was wondering why Monte "the hitting coach" hadn't advised them to make pitchers throw strikes. It never changed all season. Pitchers never gave Teo anything to hit.They knew he was going to swing at everything

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic