Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
13-year old autistic boy shot by police
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

13-year old autistic boy shot by police

Sep 10, 2020, 3:14 PM

https://nypost.com/2020/09/08/police-shoot-autistic-teen-after-his-mom-called-911-for-help/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's sad. Not sure it really actually proves any point.***

Sep 10, 2020, 3:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Not sure if serious.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:33 PM

Two adult officers "had" to use deadly force on an unarmed 13 year old boy, and you're not seeing any point here? No reasonable person is blaming the officers for not knowing how to handle the situation. They're not trained to do so. But what a reasonable person might ask in this case is "who might have been able to do a better job deescalating that situation?" Police officers, right or wrong, almost invariably demand complete submission to their authority. People with mental issues are often not equipped to process what is being asked of them, or comply even if they do understand.

You're not admitting defeat by applying just a little bit of logic to cases like this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The mom is clearly blaming police. The article points

Sep 10, 2020, 4:56 PM

blame at the police. There is plenty of police blaming here, and there are a lot of unreasonable people here. That is, at least in part, the point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Objectively, since I don't know the people in this incident,

Sep 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

I don't blame the police, as these situations are outside of their training. Subjectively, if that were my kid, you bet your ass I'd be blaming the police.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also, it's the New York Post. Isn't the entirety of that

Sep 10, 2020, 5:11 PM [ in reply to The mom is clearly blaming police. The article points ]

"news" outlet essentially op-ed?

Um, it proves the point that cops can shoot

Sep 10, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to That's sad. Not sure it really actually proves any point.*** ]

a 13 year old kid in this country and people will respond "Not sure it really actually proves a point."

That's weird.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it was FBCoach who brought up a good point on it.

Sep 10, 2020, 3:35 PM [ in reply to That's sad. Not sure it really actually proves any point.*** ]

It's another case of asking the police to handle situations they aren't trained for and shouldn't be asked to handle.

Start putting more support into the areas that should be handling this stuff and stop expecting the police to solve all the problems. We've created a society where everyone thinks they have to call the cops for every problem.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

cops are more adept at hassling people for no real reason

Sep 11, 2020, 12:31 PM

and writing petty, pointless tickets for revenue generation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Just another brick in the wall.”***

Sep 10, 2020, 4:00 PM

It's not the police ...

Sep 10, 2020, 4:10 PM

It's those ### people from Utah!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

An article I saw said they had reason to believe the kid

Sep 10, 2020, 5:05 PM

had a weapon and the police chief said stop listening to the Mom and wait for the details to be released.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I heard that too. A couple things:

Sep 10, 2020, 5:15 PM

1) that sounds like a CYA move after the fact

2) even if it's found to be true, is this really the state of policing in America? You THINK somebody might have a weapon, so you are authorized to use deadly force? There's no requirement to see or identify a weapon before deadly force is acceptable? I have a hard time believing the rightwingers would be ok with that, given that they have a much higher rate of gun ownership, but in this weird sort of odd paradox we're in, it seems like they are.

I agree with (1) . On (2), I think there's some grey area

Sep 10, 2020, 5:30 PM

there. (I don't think cops can always wait to see if they are about to get shot at.) For instance, if the kid said "I've got a gun" - I think they have to believe him.

The kid must have been going apesheet for his Mom to call the cops...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that gray area is very, very tiny, and therein lies

Sep 10, 2020, 5:35 PM

the problem: how individuals define the gray area. Kid says "I have a gun". Multiple officers who have hundreds of hours at gun ranges have their weapons trained on him, and there's STILL not an obligation to confirm that the kid (literally, in this case) has a weapon? Did they think the kid used "Billy the" as his modifier and is some sort of quickdraw that can beat multiple weapons-trained adults to a shot?

Yep - agreed.

Sep 10, 2020, 5:46 PM

You would think they could have figured out something with a 13-year-old kid...

I think we should wait until all of the facts come out

Sep 10, 2020, 7:04 PM

before jumping to any conclusions other than to say that it is a terrible tragedy. It may be that poorly trained police acted foolishly and unecessarily shot a totally helpless, innocent boy. But I'm not sure that the officers responding to this call were not trained in some sort of crisis intervention, as the mom supposedly asked for a "crisis intervention team". The police may have acted appropriately, and it may have just been an unavoidable tragedy.

- H. L. Mencken

If police followed protocol, and protocol dictated that

Sep 10, 2020, 7:25 PM

an unarmed 13 year old became life-threatening to two adult males and as such, deadly force was required, then there is a problem with the protocol that was being followed.

How do you know he was unarmed?***

Sep 10, 2020, 7:32 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Even if he was armed, he was not threatening police

Sep 10, 2020, 8:59 PM

You don’t get shot solely for having a gun. You shouldn’t get shot for running away. You shouldn’t get shot for disobeying an order. Or raising your voice. Etc etc.

### is wrong with people that think it’s okay to automatically shoot somebody when they’re not a threat.

How do you know he wasn't a threat?***

Sep 10, 2020, 10:18 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Have some compassion dude

Sep 10, 2020, 10:45 PM

I don’t know what’s entertaining picking details in this conversation.

Unless he was in the process of raising a gun to point at officers, there is no reason to shoot a kid having a breakdown. None.

Me asking you how you know he wasn't a threat has nothing

Sep 11, 2020, 12:08 AM

whatsoever to do with compassion. Again, it's a terrible tragedy no matter what. And if it's not entertaining picking details, why do you continue? How do you know he wasn't pointing a gun at the police? Look, this whole thing started with me simply making the outrageous suggestion that we wait until the investigations are complete and the facts come out before we pass judgement. Then you and others continued to make multiple assumptions without any way to substatiate them. And remember, I don't pretend to know - I said from the start that the police may be totally in the wrong here; but lets wait and see.

- H. L. Mencken

Sounds good. I hope investigation is expedited and untainted

Sep 11, 2020, 12:28 AM

And if found guilty, I hope his punishment is as swift and severe as what he gave that kid.

Agree 100%.***

Sep 11, 2020, 12:29 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Police Sgt said no weapon.***

Sep 10, 2020, 9:01 PM [ in reply to How do you know he was unarmed?*** ]

Link? Last I heard was from Tuesday, they could not

Sep 10, 2020, 10:19 PM

say pending the completion of the investigation: Barton told CNN her son was unarmed. Detective Greg Wilking, a spokesperson for the Salt Lake City Police Department, told CNN on Tuesday that he could not speak specifically to whether the boy had a weapon or "what the officers' perceived threats were," and that those questions would be determined by the investigation. Mom can say whatever she wants, but there's this investigation that has to happen and this process that has to take place," Wilking said.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Link? Last I heard was from Tuesday, they could not

Sep 10, 2020, 10:43 PM

In a press briefing, Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Keith Horrocks said officers were called to the scene shortly after 10 p.m. to respond to a "violent psych issue" involving a juvenile who "had made threats to some folks with a weapon."

Horrocks said there was no indication that the subject had a weapon, but stressed that the investigation was in its early stages.

Like I said, we don't know if he had a weapon or not, and

Sep 10, 2020, 11:55 PM

the police have not said one way or the other. Seems to me that he contradicts himself. If he was called to respond to a youth who was making threats with a weapon, well, that's an indication the subject had a weapon. Bottom line, we still don't know, pending investigation.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Like I said, we don't know if he had a weapon or not, and

Sep 11, 2020, 1:40 PM

So now, someone calling the police just has to say "I think he might have a weapon" to justify a cop being in fear of their life and authorized to use deadly force?

Who the fock said that? This is why it's impossible to have

Sep 11, 2020, 2:25 PM

a rational conversation anymore.

- H. L. Mencken

I want to see body camera footage of the weapon to believe..

Sep 10, 2020, 7:38 PM [ in reply to An article I saw said they had reason to believe the kid ]

it. That kid is small and couldn't possibly handle a trained police office or do him harm without a weapon. It's one thing to fear a 185 lb man and another to fear a 95 lb 13 yr old.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 13-year old autistic boy shot by police

Sep 10, 2020, 7:28 PM

He is very light skinned black guy.

Say what?***

Sep 10, 2020, 7:47 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Say what?***

Sep 10, 2020, 7:52 PM

Its a black person prob so I just assumed that person is black of course.

So I searched saltlake city police and shooting, tasers...

Sep 10, 2020, 7:35 PM

and became aware that SL City has a problem with police and it's complicated. However, unless the body cams show a deadly weapon these cops should be tried for something, IDK what.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, the police themselves are investigating. Then the D.A.

Sep 10, 2020, 7:47 PM

office will investigate, and then it goes before a citizen review board of some sort. The facts will come out. If the cops bungled it they should and will pay.

- H. L. Mencken

My consolation is that the kid is alive and we won't have...

Sep 10, 2020, 7:52 PM

to worry about BLM burning Salt Lake City because he's white. I mean, they didn't burn cities when black kids got shot in gang wars so I don't expect much from them on this.

How much you want to bet these cops get fired

Sep 11, 2020, 12:42 PM

and are hired by a local agency a few weeks later?

Therein lies one of the reasons people are protesting.

If I shoot a kid in my job I go to jail. I don't get fired and then hired somewhere else

I like your funny words magic man

Re: How much you want to bet these cops get fired

Sep 11, 2020, 12:59 PM

You make no sense son.

You can’t fire a gun on your job. Point 1. Dolt.

If they are not charged or prosecuted in anyway, are they not supposed to ever work again? Dolt.

If they did break protocol and need to be charged, they will be and never work again in law enforcement and may spend time in jail. Dolt.

Common theme is you are a complete idiot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This cop murdered a guy, was fired, then rehired so he could

Sep 11, 2020, 1:46 PM

get retirement for life.

https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/valley/mesa-cop-fired-rehired-and-then-retired-with-31000-a-year-pension/75-921b3224-2016-411d-9c6b-a96bf4d5172d

No he didn't.***

Sep 11, 2020, 2:57 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic