Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I just saw that my rank is "freshman".
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 289

So I just saw that my rank is "freshman".

Jul 24, 2015, 11:18 AM

That's pretty cool, it's an honor to be associated with such a great band like The Verve. I've seen them in concert 16 times. Every performance was just powerful; I broke down and wept at a few of them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

willki or Greenr***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:27 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: willki or Greenr***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:28 AM

Willki too cool for The Verve. He does have limits, I am sure.

neither

Jul 24, 2015, 11:29 AM [ in reply to willki or Greenr*** ]

no...the delivery is off, more than what deliberate misdirection would provide

NO, YOU BOOB.

Jul 24, 2015, 11:28 AM

It's a reference to the Matthew Broderick movie, NOT the band.

Newbs. Sheesh.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OMG. I totes love the Verve too

Jul 24, 2015, 11:42 AM

But you are liking the Pipe, nomsayin phagit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lyu1KKwC74

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fun Fact: Verve lost all of their royalties from

Jul 24, 2015, 11:46 AM

Bittersweet Symphony.

Although the song's lyrics were written by Verve vocalist Richard Ashcroft, its distinctive passage for strings was sampled from the 1965 Andrew Oldham Orchestra symphonic recording of "The Last Time", arranged & written by David Whitaker, inspired by the 1965 Rolling Stones' song of the same title.[8][9]

Originally, The Verve had negotiated a licence to use a five-note sample from the Oldham recording, but former Stones manager Allen Klein (who owned the copyrights to the band’s pre-1970 songs) claimed that The Verve broke the agreement and used a larger portion.[10][11] Despite its original lyrics and string intro (by Wil Malone & Ashcroft), the music of "Bitter Sweet Symphony" was sampled from the Oldham track, which led to a lawsuit with ABKCO Records, Klein's holding company, and eventually settled out of court. The Verve relinquished all of their royalties to Klein, owner of ABKCO Records, whilst songwriting credits were changed to Jagger/Richards/Ashcroft.[12]

The Verve bassist Simon Jones said, "We were told it was going to be a 50/50 split, and then they saw how well the record was doing. They rung up and said we want 100 percent or take it out of the shops, you don't have much choice."[13] After losing the composer credits to the song, Ashcroft commented, "This is the best song Jagger and Richards have written in 20 years",[14] noting it was their biggest UK hit since "Brown Sugar".[13] On Ashcroft's return to touring, the song traditionally ended the set list. Ashcroft also reworked the single for VH2 Live for the music channel VH1, stripping the song of its strings. Ashcroft is quoted as saying during the show: "Despite all the legal angles and the ########, strip down to the chords and the lyrics and the melody and you realise there is such a good song there."[15]

In a Cash for Questions interview with Q magazine published in January 1999, Keith Richards was asked if he thought it was harsh taking all The Verve's royalties from "Bitter Sweet Symphony". He replied, "I'm out of whack here, this is serious lawyer ####. If The Verve can write a better song, they can keep the money."

In an interview with Uncut Magazine, Oldham stated, "As for Richard Ashcroft, well, I don't know how an artist can be severely damaged by that experience. Songwriters have learned to call songs their children, and he thinks he wrote something. He didn't. I hope he's got over it. It takes a while."[16]

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm really hoping that you're not planning on posting any

Jul 24, 2015, 11:49 AM

pics that you find from 'Uncut Magazine'.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

never been a fan of turtle necks.***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:50 AM

quite fun. Thanks.***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Fun Fact: Verve lost all of their royalties from ]

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quite.***

Jul 24, 2015, 11:54 AM

I want to know who sold it to Nike.***

Jul 24, 2015, 12:00 PM [ in reply to Fun Fact: Verve lost all of their royalties from ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 289
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic