Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So I just looked up the term 'coot'..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,103

So I just looked up the term 'coot'..

Nov 14, 2012, 10:27 PM

Coming back to online sports forum culture after a several years hiatus(Yes, I admit it; being ranked highly n' exhibiting dominant (offensive) gridiron prowess has renewed my inner tiger), I am exuberantly amused that the term 'coot' is still in full effect. Once or twice a page it's used in a topic n' there is at least one user with the term in his or her name. (Respect!)

Curiosity has gotten the best of me for I was feeling quite silly that since browsing this forum since I was a 17-year old future tiger in '96 that I wasn't entirely sure what 'coot' actually meant other than some sort of bird.

So I googled 'coot' n' am hoping that somebody can get a chuckle out of my findings n' maybe others may be educated that have never been familiar with the term University of South Carolina faithful are referred to as by their Clemson counterparts.

The top entry @ urbandictionary.com has 260 thumbs up votes to 100 down actually including in its description the lack-luster history of the USC 'coot'ball team. In the definition @ Merriam-Webster it states that a coot is a 'harmless simple person', which makes sense considering they've done little to hurt our football record over the years. Everywhere the term is found it is defined as 'a foolish old person' after its 'aquatic bird' description.

Question: Other than 'tater', what are some terms the coots use to describe us? I refuse to browse their forums for fear of ending up spending hours debating n' correcting their opinionated logic.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've heard "Clemsux" but that's about it.

Nov 14, 2012, 10:31 PM

And hahahahahahahahaha

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They use KKKlempson over on FGF***

Nov 15, 2012, 7:49 AM

CRUMP, can you search the tnet archives to find out

Nov 14, 2012, 10:35 PM

the first time the word "coot" was posted on here?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Search...LOL

Nov 15, 2012, 7:50 AM

It works well.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Who was the first..

Nov 16, 2012, 6:13 PM

person ever to refer to them as coots? We may never know but I'm sure it dates back to before WWII. I've found myself occasionally using the term since discovering TigerNet in '95.

Seriously when your archrival willingly refers to themselves

Nov 14, 2012, 10:55 PM

As ##### why would we even try to better that. That one word elegantly and succinctly encompasses everything we know to be true about them. The use of the word coot is stupid and makes us look ignorant. They're ##### period; and the fact that they're proud of that label tells you everything you need to know.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree that it may seem somewhat below us

Nov 15, 2012, 7:34 AM

to give them any sort of nickname other than their already self-deprecating moniker but it's much funnier than them calling us 'taters', although I did just look up the origin of 'tater' n' I must admit that's a fairly funny story.

Re: So I just looked up the term 'coot'..

Nov 14, 2012, 11:09 PM

Do you really want to know? I could say, but I don't want to get banned from your message board because I'm not on here to cause trouble. I've got friends that are Clemson fans and just enjoy reading the posts.

Taters, Clemtards, Clemmings, Cow-lovers, Grass-jockeys

Nov 15, 2012, 7:37 AM

Puddy-tats are a few I've heard.

Pretty sure the Clemtard one originated after...

Nov 15, 2012, 7:40 AM

..someone read one of your posts.

1981 National Champions. Rarely do they post this, but it weighs heavy on them.***

Nov 16, 2012, 6:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

If you want to know what coots are just look at the ones

Nov 16, 2012, 6:43 PM
coot6.JPG(151.4 K)

in front of my house. Hope they are migrating and not staying for the game

Re: I sincerely hope we get our defensive claws into

Nov 16, 2012, 9:41 PM

our birds and that they not actually resemble those undefeated Ducks.

^ I'd say out of all of these, coot is the most original.

Nov 17, 2012, 8:34 AM

But everyone knows coots can't be original.

They had to model their stadium after a dead cockroach and a prison for goodness sake.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,103
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic