Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Elliott says QB decisions are left up to Dabo/Streeter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,716

So Elliott says QB decisions are left up to Dabo/Streeter

Oct 25, 2017, 2:40 PM

During the Chad Morris years, we schemed around players---developed the gameplan around the skillsets on the field. So whatever the gameplan was, they adapted the gameplan to "plug in" whatever QB was ready according to the depth chart. For example, Cole Stoudt was magnificent during the Oklahoma game. I thought Chad's gameplan was tailored to give him the best chance to win the game, which he did.

Now, it seems, we are trying to "fit" the players into the gameplan (if I read Elliott's comments last week correctly, which I believe I did) when we hear that QB decisions are made by the HC/QBC.

This isn't a criticism by any means, I'm just wondering if anyone else senses that things have changed somewhat in this regard?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Yea i forgot how good Chad Morris's play calling was

Oct 25, 2017, 2:42 PM

in that Oklahoma game, especially considering he was already in SMU! What a genius!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

Re: Yea i forgot how good Chad Morris's play calling was

Oct 25, 2017, 2:47 PM

You are correct...but the fact is they gameplanned around Stoudt, so the point remains valid.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Agree, but just wanted to point out that it was

Oct 25, 2017, 2:55 PM

Scelliot that did that gameplan...not the almighty Chad. In fact, Chad was the most stubborn play caller I have witnessed IMO. I will always appreciate where he got our program, but I wasn't upset to see a new, fresh mindset with the playbook.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TIGER BALLS.

^^This, not to mention during that season Chad failed

Oct 25, 2017, 3:13 PM

to game plan around Stoudt who had the injured shoulder and it hurt our offense tremendously.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So Elliott says QB decisions are left up to Dabo/Streeter

Oct 25, 2017, 2:47 PM

Chad didn't coach the OU game that was Scelliott's first game as Co-OCs. Chad was also the QB coach here along with the OC, so in a sense nothing has changed regarding who decides what QB starts. Dabo doesn't micromanage and let's every position coach have a strong say about how they think the rotation should be, but obviously everything is blown up in proportion when regarding the QB.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Oct 25, 2017, 2:52 PM

I thought the game plan for Oklahoma was BRILLIANT. Coach Morris IMHO tried to plug Stoudt in to a system he couldn't prosper in.

Message was edited by: haydencopesc®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2017, 2:50 PM

Do you think Elliot is saying "don't blame me" if we see a repeat of Syracuse, or is he just being matter of fact? I agree it should be Dabo's call, but seems like an OC should have more say than a position coach

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 25, 2017, 3:26 PM

I think the reasoning behind it being a position coach is that Streeter would work with KB on a daily basis while Elliot has to focus on the gameplan, etc.

Of course I don't know that for sure and have no evidence to back up my claim but just an assumption.

Oct 25, 2017, 2:58 PM

WELL SINCE CHAD WAS THE OC AND QBC I GUESS THEY HAVE CHANGED SOMEWHAT

Jeff Scott has WRs, Tony Elliott RBs, so they have

Oct 25, 2017, 3:26 PM

their own position groups to handle and worry about. Dabo hired a QB specific coach, perhaps let him do his job.

I don't believe there's much difference in determining a defense's tendencies in certain sets or player groupings, identifying keys and hot reads or checks; play calling will still be to a certain players strengths with those deficiencies, weaknesses or tendencies on the opposite side of the LOS in mind. That can go for RB, TE, WR or line grouping as well.

Some teams run to their right 90% of the time on 3rd and short because they can and there's not much anyone has done to stop them. But overload and see what happens...

They ran the screen game, short quick throws with Cole, then deeper into the field when OU pressed, not as much read option as with DW, but some as the look is important to the rest of our O. It's the base look on a lot of what Clemson has done. They used Cole's strengths with their opposite number[OU DC] and game plan[based on the above] in mind.

Dabo said as much when talking about the QB battle earlier in the year, our QBs are different.

One of the problems with paring down the O because of a QB's limited experience, is you pare down all 11 on O and not just the one, limiting the options a PC/OC has. It makes the game easier for the opposing side when you limit the toolbox.

We could write forever on this stuff.

Elliott only calls the pass plays.

Oct 25, 2017, 4:05 PM

We have to blame Scott if we don't like the QB running as much, and I think that's what you're getting at.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,716
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic