Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So Carolina Grads that are Clemson fans - any here?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

So Carolina Grads that are Clemson fans - any here?

Apr 20, 2013, 10:25 PM

I know two of them but wonder if any are on this board. The two I know are die-hard Clemson fans. One couldn't get into Clemson but did graduate from SoCar and the other lived in Columbia and had to live at home to afford college. He also graduates from SoCar.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I unfortunately can claim that designation

Apr 20, 2013, 10:35 PM

From Columbia. Accepted into Clemson, Furman, and SCar my senior year. Went to Clemson in 1995 as an engineering major and instituted my new found freedom by not going to class. That didn't work out well so back to Columbia.

I met my future wife and started a business and thus was stuck in Columbia to go to school. Graduated in Accounting. I wore my clemson gear to school during rivalry week and got called out in every class. It was great. Walked with a Clemson shirt under my gown. Hate Scar just as bad as I did before I went there. Go Tigers.

Re: So Carolina Grads that are Clemson fans - any here?

Apr 20, 2013, 10:36 PM

Me one year at Clemson life long fan Family reasons had to move back to cootlumbia. But I bleed orange and purple.

Yep

Apr 20, 2013, 10:37 PM

My wife is one graduated from usuc and I took her to a clemson game now she hates them .wont even wear her ring.Thats my girl

Wedding ring or 5th place ring?***

Apr 21, 2013, 9:30 AM

Re: Yep

Apr 20, 2013, 10:49 PM

Got a keeper sir.

Apr 21, 2013, 9:14 AM

I am on that list as well. Clemson did not have the major I wanted (Anthropology) so I went to S.Car. It's haunted me most of my life as I had to go back to school anyway to get a major I could get a real job with (###### if I didn't go to UNC). Anyway, series of unfortunate events but I grew up a Clemson fan thanks to my dad and I live and die with the football team. It's always been difficult to explain it all to my friends and co-workers!

Does USC-Aiken count?

Apr 21, 2013, 10:24 AM

Since the Pacers don't have a football team I always rationalized I stayed true to the Tigers.

Apr 21, 2013, 11:30 AM

I fall into this category - sort of. I went to scar for 1 year taking classes as a day student in order to change major's and transfer to another school. I ultimately graduated from another school in the state.

When I saw this topic I had to comment because I have thought of this issue before. I have a theory regarding this situation and it is:

The Usuc campus is located in the middle of a larger metropolitan area and hence there are a lot of local kids that go there as day students (myself included). There are a number of these kids that don't really have any alliegence to the school and are simply there to take classes in order to achieve a larger purpose (complete degree, transfer, etc). I was open about the fact that I was a Clemson fan and I personally knew several other Tiger fans that I was in classes with.

On the other hand, I believe the situation is different at Clemson. CU's location makes it less likely to have a significant number of day students.

I think it would be a very interesting study to research this and find out the facts but I'd wager that there would be a much higher % of students in Columbia that are CU fans than vice-versa.

Apr 21, 2013, 11:36 AM

I knew one person in college who was a Clemson student but SCar fan. She came to Clemson for the nursing program but by the time I graduated she had not yet changed her allegiance. It was really strange, she was in the marching band with me and everything. I just hope by the time she graduated she had seen the light.

Incidentally she went to Sumter High School, whose mascot is the Gamecocks. I imagine a very high percentage of that school is SCar fans simply by association.

Apr 21, 2013, 11:45 AM

She's probably well quilified to be a nurse in the psych ward.

USC 1979

Apr 21, 2013, 12:15 PM

Went their because Clemson did not offer my major.My dad could never bring himself to write a check to USC so mom did. The good news was Clemson won three out of four years I was there including the famous Butler catch right I front of me. My fraternity brothers could have died.

USC 1979

Apr 21, 2013, 12:17 PM

Went their because Clemson did not offer my major.My dad could never bring himself to write a check to USC so mom did. The good news was Clemson won three out of four years I was there including the famous Butler catch right I front of me. My fraternity brothers could have died.

Sort of . . .

Apr 21, 2013, 12:22 PM

My father attended Clemson when Banks McFadden was there, when it was a military college. I started attending Clemson football games with my parents when I was a tot in the early 60's. I became an IPTAY member in 1968 when I was 8 or 9 years old, and had season tickets from then until about 6 years ago. I have been to hundreds of Clemson basketball games. I have always been a Clemson fan through-and-through, and nothing but a Clemson fan.

When it came time for college, like a dumba$$, instead of Clemson, I went to a junior college to be close to a girlfriend who proceeded to break up with me soon after. I then dropped out and went to work. I did have friends who went to Clemson and I spent quite a bit of time with them over there during those years. 15 years later I decided to go back to school and get my degree; for various reasons, USC-Spartanburg (now USC-Upstate) was the best choice. They weren't the Gamecocks, they were "The Rifles" at the time, and I never felt like I was part of that school in Cootlumbia. It never really hit me until I got my diploma, and it simply says "University Of South Carolina". As proud as I am of my accomplishment, that diploma has remained in a box hidden away.

So yeah, I guess I have a coot diploma, even though I've never set foot on the coot campus, and can assure you no part of my being is or ever has been even remotely coot. I have many, many great memories of Clemson, and will be a Tiger until the day I die.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

A gentleman that I once attended games with regularly

Apr 21, 2013, 12:52 PM

graduated from socar (reason #2 in your post).

Even while he was a student he cheered for Clemson. It didn't make him very popular.

Anomaly.

Re: A gentleman that I once attended games with regularly

Apr 21, 2013, 10:35 PM

I have a cousin who is, and always has been, a gamecock, but went to Clemson to get into the P&R program. Only went to 2 or 3 Tiger games in 4 years (back in the 1980's), and is now some kind of ranger in Wyoming. BTW, he still loves the ##### in all sports.

I've heard the tales from both sides over the years,

Apr 22, 2013, 7:45 AM

although a student would have been foolhardy at best to admit such at Clemson during my years there. I suppose the same would have been true at SC, given the ferocity of the rivalry then. I mean, who would have wanted to walk around with block "C's" shaved into heads or behinds blistered from gauntlet paddlings? lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

An acquaintance of mine from Clemson

Apr 22, 2013, 2:34 PM

and a Clemson grad, is a die-hard SCar fan. I believe his dad played football there so he was raised on SCar. Said he wants Clemson to win all their games but that one.

I remember talking to him about this and was somewhat dumbfounded. I couldn't believe that someone who spent 4+ years of their life at Clemson could possibly root for another school, much less SCar... But I get it: people are awfully impressionable growing up, especially when it comes to their parents' lifestyles and beliefs.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2013, 8:44 PM

Graduated from Clemson in 2007 and Doctor of Pharmacy from MUSC/USC last May. Just moved into the Lexington area from Columbia, so hopefully it will be a little bit better but unlikely. Its a rough go walking around campus with orange on but someone had to do it.

Where is the school of pharmacy?

Apr 22, 2013, 9:14 PM

And were there other Clemson grads?

My daughter (Clemson grad) goes to MUSC (Dental) but says that the largest contingent in Dental and Medical are Clemson grads. She says there are almost 2 Clemson grads for every SoCar grad in dental.

Re: Where is the school of pharmacy?

Apr 23, 2013, 11:20 PM

A lot of students on the MUSC campus for pharmacy were Clemson. On the USC campus in Columbia we had less than 10 in a class of around 100.

Apr 24, 2013, 7:56 AM

I know a few who have been to both for varying reasons (mostly availability of a desired grad program at one school vs. another).
Of those, I wouldn't classify most as "fans" of either school sports-wise.
One, however, has full on Clemson rabies. If Knickerbocker's sells it, she's got it. Her office looks like the bookstore.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic