Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
NIT Basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

NIT Basketball

Feb 26, 2016, 2:06 PM

I have followed Clemson basketball for nearly 50 years. It can be frustrating but has it's moments and it keeps me interested no matter what. We have had a few good years along with a lot of mediocrity over those 50 years but I keep my interest. In my opinion in those 50 years Bill Foster, Rick Barnes and YES Brownell have been our best X and O floor coaches with Cliff Ellis and Purnell being great recruiters. One reason I'm pulling for Brad Brownell so hard is even though he has had a tough time recruiting enough talent to get us to the NCAA he recruits QUALITY STUDENT ATHLETES that represent Clemson well and I believe he genuinely cares about his players. I hope we can win enough to get to the NIT. The NIT is looked down on in a society that is now just all about March madness but the NIT has quality teams and players and is very competitive. To go there and do well for this team would be a fine accomplishment. We were picked 12th by a lot of people. Go tigers !

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NIT Basketball

Feb 26, 2016, 2:19 PM

I agree with much of what you say--both from a historical and current aspect. At this point, with the "Big Dance" probably a nebulous prospect, the NIT is a more likely destination....but any post-season experience will be valuable experience.....

Glad Djitte will be returning next season to give us at least one experienced post player....wish Robertin could have gotten more playing time but he's obviously got a lot of work to do before that happens.....Tigers do have the 6-9 transfer waiting in the wings.....and sure hope Jaron opts to return and improve his skill set and draft status.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell was a better floor coach than you

Feb 26, 2016, 2:20 PM

realize... we were very effective in our secondary break, and we ran quite a bit of sets under OP... He also changed his press, and would jump into a 1-3-1 3/4 court look that really gave teams problems..

I agree that Brownell knows the game.... and I do think he is able to put our guys in good positions to score. We defend, really, really well for the most part. I think Brownell "out thinks" himself sometimes as well.

While all of those things are true... the wins haven't followed, so after 6 years, those things mean very little.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Purnell was a better floor coach than you

Feb 26, 2016, 2:26 PM

Secondary break we were great at but our pure half court offense under OP sometimes was very painful to watch.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

I think that is more b/c of he recruited to his

Feb 26, 2016, 2:55 PM

style... He got guys that could go score in the open floor.

A perfect example is Cliff Hammonds. Cliff could flat out light it up from 3 in transition... but would struggle some if we had to get into sets or a motion.

KC and TO were both effective in the 1/2 court, along with Book... but he definitely recruited to his style...

which is why I think he was so successful.

Oliver Purnell's lifetime record is 448-386

Feb 26, 2016, 3:07 PM

There is NOTHING about that which says successful.

Period.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson has 3 straight NCAAT appearances

Feb 26, 2016, 3:15 PM

and appearance in the ACCT championship game... and more ACC wins than any other team not in blue (over those 3 years) that say otherwise.

you must be insane

not any more

Feb 26, 2016, 4:22 PM

I am good now..

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oliver Purnell's lifetime record is 448-386

Feb 26, 2016, 3:26 PM [ in reply to Oliver Purnell's lifetime record is 448-386 ]

So Purnell wasn't successful at Clemson?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Ehhh...some people forget

Feb 26, 2016, 3:34 PM [ in reply to Purnell was a better floor coach than you ]

I remember watching a number of games where the press got ABUSED and we continued to run it, and get abused

Re: Ehhh...some people forget

Feb 26, 2016, 3:37 PM

Yep was very frustrating in some games where we got a decent lead and watched it disappear due to the other team figuring out the press and abusing it for easy baskets to climb back into it.

I can remember a 23 point lead evaporating at home to

Feb 26, 2016, 5:43 PM

Illinois

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sure that happened some... no one said otherwise

Feb 26, 2016, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Ehhh...some people forget ]

but that same style also produced success here...

Just not in the postseason, with the exception of one ACCT

Feb 26, 2016, 5:44 PM

run

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Purnell is a better floor coach than most give him credit for.

Feb 26, 2016, 2:59 PM

And not as great a recruiter as people tend to give him credit for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

And Oliver Purnell says

Feb 26, 2016, 3:53 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

so does that make what he did more or less

Feb 26, 2016, 4:06 PM [ in reply to Purnell is a better floor coach than most give him credit for. ]

impressive?

Re: so does that make what he did more or less

Feb 26, 2016, 5:22 PM

OP was successful, but he could not sustain it. Left for DePaul and never had any success there. I give Brownell one more season to get to the NCAA. Otherwise like women's BB it will be time for major changes. Clemson and the ACC also need to demand a conference network to increase funding for our major sports as the SEC and B10 are making huge payouts!

Go Tigers!

Just in comparison to CBB.**

Feb 26, 2016, 6:05 PM [ in reply to Purnell is a better floor coach than most give him credit for. ]

nm

So, Brownell created a bkball program that was

Feb 26, 2016, 3:17 PM

picked 12th in the ACC... And because we don't suck that badly we're supposed to be happy? It's hard to win at Clemson - I get that. But we're no better off than when he started

Re: So, Brownell created a bkball program that was

Feb 26, 2016, 3:23 PM

We're worse off.

He took "not his guys" to the NCAAT in his 1st year and hasn't done it since.

The initial excuse was let's wait til he has "his guys", then it went to "KJ left a year early", and now it's a mixture of crap but mostly "give him a year in reno'd LJ with upgraded facilities".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

You said it! But there's a bunch of folks here that

Feb 26, 2016, 4:48 PM

don't want to hear it Anonymous

Oh look, this coot is still here

Feb 26, 2016, 3:26 PM [ in reply to So, Brownell created a bkball program that was ]

GO CITADEL!

Re: Oh look, this coot is still here***

Feb 26, 2016, 3:28 PM

Re: So, Brownell created a bkball program that was

Feb 26, 2016, 3:28 PM [ in reply to So, Brownell created a bkball program that was ]

mollym = leadcoot

Feb 26, 2016, 4:32 PM [ in reply to So, Brownell created a bkball program that was ]

sad

Re: NIT Basketball

Feb 26, 2016, 3:22 PM

And we will continue to be picked at the bottom of the ACC.
Losing 15 games per season.
It doesn't help one bit wining 9-10 ACC games when you lose 5-6 games before ACC play starts.
If we have the talent to win 10 ACC games we should not be losing so many OC games.

All in all, I think we should go ahead and win the ACCT ...

Feb 26, 2016, 4:10 PM

Why not ? Team has shown flashes of brilliance at periods throughout the season, then at other times, look like they would have a hard time beating the local Church League ... maybe they will get hot ! like they did in the first third of the ACC schedule ... I think its all in their heads ... they have to get rid of those negative waves and get positive karma

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: All in all, I think we should go ahead and win the ACCT ...

Feb 26, 2016, 4:12 PM

That is sad that you are really exited about the NIT.

Feb 26, 2016, 5:15 PM

Winning the NIT would be meaningless.

excited**

Feb 26, 2016, 5:24 PM

nm

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic