Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Snowstorm in mid/lower SC in Jan 1973
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1,982

Snowstorm in mid/lower SC in Jan 1973

Jan 29, 2014, 5:53 PM

only produced a major sheet of ice at Clemson.....but riding those old Harcombe metal trays down the hill into the Pit was allsome!
Storm happened right as we got back from Christmas break and my roommate from Florence immediately drove home where it had snowed 21 inches.
That was a major storm!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Snowstorm in mid/lower SC in Jan 1973

Jan 29, 2014, 6:00 PM

I didnt remember them as being metal but maybe they were

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had old metal ones, but most were

Jan 29, 2014, 6:05 PM

newer plastic.

Metal ones were really fast.....like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation!

I remember that. I actually ran off the road in Sumter

Jan 29, 2014, 6:40 PM

during that storm

CU got 8-10 inches of snow in'88

Jan 29, 2014, 6:55 PM

Someone hit the back of my parked car - and ran!

Re: CU got 8-10 inches of snow in'88

Jan 29, 2014, 8:17 PM

Best snow day ever. We had enough to play 11 on 11 full tackle in the snow. Of course, no one could get enough steam to hit hard, but a lot of fun pushing on Bowman Field.

Re: CU got 8-10 inches of snow in'88

Jan 29, 2014, 11:18 PM

One of the few times I was able to leave my car outside of Schilletter for an extended period of time without getting a ticket.

This was the only semester that I commuted and I was able to crash with some friends that lived in the high rises until I could get my car out a few days later....

Re: Maybe 85

Jan 29, 2014, 8:19 PM [ in reply to CU got 8-10 inches of snow in'88 ]

Sorry - missed my years, I think it was 1985. Still, good memory.

Wasn't '85 . . . maybe '86 or '87. THAT was an awesome

Jan 29, 2014, 10:17 PM

time at CU.

Walked to the liquor store first and then spent 6 or 7 hours going crazy in the snow - from Bowman to Riggs, the frat quad, all over the place.

A day I will never forget - except for the parts I don't remember ! ! !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Yup. Snowed on the Thursday after the CU NCSU bb game

Jan 29, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to CU got 8-10 inches of snow in'88 ]

up in Raleigh on Wednesday night. Started snowing about 8am in Raleigh and we made it to Spartanburg where the interstate was shutdown with wrecks. They were evacuation the stranded motorists, so we got off and crashed in Spartanburg with folks for a couple of days.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both my Dad and Granddad

Jan 29, 2014, 8:34 PM

were still in the Guard back then and got activated. Dad's unit got sent to rescue people that were stranded on the Interstate, Grandaddy helped coordinate the transportation of doctors and nurses to and from hospitals in the area.

Jan 29, 2014, 9:50 PM

Remember in late 60s we had a snowfall. Guys were riding those trays down the steep hill behind Harcombe. One guy rode down on his belly. Rode into the curb head first. Knocked him cold. That ended the sledding for that day.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2014, 1:12 AM

I lived in Sumter then. That snow storm was and still is the biggest ever I remember in SC. That snow storm was the first day that my oldest daughter began to grow in my then GF's Uterus. And that was when I first learned of what was back then, a shot gun wedding. We were at my sisters house getting all cozy with her cutting school that day. And we had no idea it was snow storm going on until it was time for me take her back to school for the bus at Hillcrest high. I almost chit on my self when I open the door to the out side. I tried to get her back but, the power of my 1964 Super Sports Chevy Impala mixing in about a foot of snow at 2pm, put us in a ditch. I went and got my car 3 days later, and when I got back to my sisters house. There was my GFs mom and dad sitting in their car in the yard. Sherrie was in the house to scared to come out. I had to grow up and man up right then.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good story. Sumter was hit the hardest in

Jan 30, 2014, 2:06 AM

SC. This was filmed in Sumter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XPq3wgsKEA

I remember that storm pretty well and I was just four. The weatherman said we wouldn't see any snow. We got about a foot near Summerville, SC.

Re: Good story. Sumter was hit the hardest in

Jan 30, 2014, 12:49 PM

I knew that me and my GF/1st wife were big time busted when I open the door and saw all that snow. Thanks for the video. But that memory is forever locked in my mind. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We had a fraternity house party in MB that weekend

Jan 30, 2014, 8:45 AM

As we drove toward the coast it started snowing and my wife wanted us to turn around and go back to Clemson. I told her no way it would be snowing at the beach. The two day party lasted four days.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1,982
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic