Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Snow in charleston, sc!!!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Snow in charleston, sc!!!

Jan 8, 2015, 12:58 AM

Had to wake the wife up because she has been mad because it doesn't snow much in these parts!! Haha

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 1973 I remember we got a ton of it, shut Charleston down***

Jan 8, 2015, 7:27 AM

I got stranded at home near Santee, SC from that storm

Jan 9, 2015, 11:00 AM

and couldn't get back to Clemson for almost a week because the Highway Patrol was only allowing emergency vehicles on the roads once they snowplowed. None of my professors would believe me when I told them that is why I missed class!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I got stranded at home near Santee, SC from that storm

Jan 9, 2015, 11:14 AM

Here is the video of digging out from the 1973 storm a few days after in Sumter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XPq3wgsKEA

Jan 10, 2015, 8:04 AM

That is not quite as much as we had in Santee, but close. I drove a large farm tractor out to 301 from our house because I heard they were snowplowing the main roads. (I actually had some idea about packing the snow with the tractor, towing my car out to 301 with the tractor, and then driving back to Clemson.) That is how I found out they were only allowing emergency vehicles on the road.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 9, 2015, 11:42 AM [ in reply to I got stranded at home near Santee, SC from that storm ]

I was living in Calhoun County and had the same experience.

It didn't snow in Clemson - I didn't tell you to go home.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Jan 10, 2015, 8:00 AM

Actually, it did snow in Clemson, but evidently not nearly as much as around home. One of my hometown buddies had decided to stay in Clemson that weekend, and broke his ankle in 3 places, requiring surgery with plates and screws, from sliding down the hill at the amphitheater on a lunch tray from Harcombe. Evidently the 8 foot dropoff at the bottom of the hill was covered by enough snow that he forgot about it. (But gravity did not!)

Re: Snow in charleston, sc!!!

Jan 8, 2015, 7:30 AM

No snow....false alarm but cold as heck!!! 20 degrees...

"snow" in Summerville last night too

Jan 8, 2015, 8:01 AM

But it was so light that it barely qualifies. I had to stand outside and stare into lights just to see snowflakes every couple of seconds. Barely enough to qualify as "snow" and I think it might have turned to sleet near the end, as I could hear telltale "tapping" sounds as it hit my cars and roof. It stopped after about 45 minutes.

Still, it was pretty neat to see snow in the Lowcountry. It's rare even in tiny quantities.

Re: "snow" in Summerville last night too

Jan 8, 2015, 10:38 AM

Good ole Summerville. My aunt and uncle live on Briarwood ln. Go eat at Oscar's for me. Best food ever.

Oscar's is a favorite

Jan 9, 2015, 8:17 AM

Don't get there much thanks to the three crumbsnatchers I'm raising :), but we do get to Oscar's every now and then for an anniversary or birthday. It's the best restaurant in town.

Hate to rub it in..but their shrimp and scallop linguini and

Jan 9, 2015, 8:31 AM

the prime rib went really well with about 5 whiskey sours last Friday night.

Chas and Myrtle Beach got 10 inches back in the 90s***

Jan 8, 2015, 9:14 AM

i lived in CHS from 90-2008 - never got 10

Jan 8, 2015, 12:15 PM

One inch would shut the town down - 10 would have taken a month to get back to normal.

CHS record was 6 post Hugo winter***

Jan 8, 2015, 12:22 PM

that was '89. savannah go it too.***

Jan 8, 2015, 1:47 PM [ in reply to Chas and Myrtle Beach got 10 inches back in the 90s*** ]

Oh ok. I have CRS disease thanks!***

Jan 8, 2015, 1:53 PM

Re: Snow in charleston, sc!!!

Jan 8, 2015, 9:15 AM

Yep, I live in the Old Village of MP. It was windy as h3ll last night and our windows kept creaking - then I heard something that sounded a little different. Went outside and it was sleeting. Not a lot, and only lasted 5-10 mins, but still.

Either way, doesn't compare to last years. We got a couple inches last year - good times.

1989. Hugo in late Sept. Then the Christmas Blizzard.Thought

Jan 8, 2015, 1:03 PM

the world was ending lol

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

We didn't get a snow flake during that Storm. I think the

Jan 8, 2015, 1:56 PM

stopping line was Greenwood

No snow in the Upstate I mean. Look at this 1973 Snowstorm

Jan 8, 2015, 2:12 PM

"1973 - February 8-11, Snow Storm: The snow storm that crossed the Southeastern states from February 8 to February 11, 1973, brought a record breaking snowfall to South Carolina. Snow fell for approximately 24 hours beginning in late afternoon on the 9th. The belt of largest amounts lay parallel to the coast about 75 miles inland. The heaviest snowfall was 24 inches measured in Rimini. About 30,000 tourists were stranded on the State’s highways. Many had to be rescued by helicopter. Eight fatalities resulted from exposure. The snow was accompanied by strong winds and followed by severe cold. Drifts to 8 feet were found in some locations. At least 200 buildings collapsed, as did thousands of awnings and carports. The property damage and road damage plus cost of snow removal and rescue operations were estimated at close to $30 million."

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/climate/sco/Publications/storms_of_centry.php

Here is a more Detailed site for the 1973/89 Coastal Snow

Jan 8, 2015, 2:25 PM

With a headline like that, you might think I'm talking about one of the three snow storms we've had over the past year or even the Christmas snow that dumped 13" on Myrtle Beach in 1989. While these were all big storms, nothing compares to the great Blizzard of 1973. What a doozie!

38 years ago today, heavy snow fell across most of the state for a solid 24 hours. The snow came so fast and furious that thousands of motorists were stranded on interstates and highways and had to be rescued by helicopter. Unfortunately, 9 people lost their lives and thousands of roofs collapsed under the enormous weight of the snow.

For many cities across the Pee Dee and Midlands, there has never been more snow in a 24 hour period. Here are some of the state's snowfall totals from that epic storm:

24" Rimini
21" Manning
18" Darlington
17" Lake City
17" Florence
16" Columbia
15" Marion
15" Summerville
15" McColl
15" Aiken
13" Kingstree
12" Conway