Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Smoking question of the day.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Smoking question of the day.

Nov 12, 2020, 12:46 PM

I don't really have one today since the bacon is curing in the fridge and sausage is at least a weekend away, but I think we should talk bbq every day.

So, what are some of YOUR backyard bbq concerns?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bubba Fett shatter gave me a hangover.***

Nov 12, 2020, 12:51 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Smoking question of the day.

Nov 12, 2020, 12:54 PM

I'm having trouble in all this damp keeping my pellets dry. I have 5 gallon buckets with the gasket lids that usually work but this year the damp is too much. Any solutions?

And before you challenge my manhood over a pellet smoker, the charcoal for my UDS that I made myself is also disintegrating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I keep mine in the garage for the same issue***

Nov 12, 2020, 12:55 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can you store it in the house?

Nov 12, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Smoking question of the day. ]

Maybe get some of those silicone packets and toss in the storage bin?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can you store it in the house?

Nov 12, 2020, 1:55 PM

What everyone's favorite BBQ sauce. I make my own red sauce but like about every kind I have tried.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Vinegar based for me

Nov 12, 2020, 1:56 PM

but I have had all the SC varieties that have well made, even a mustard based that I normally do not like.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Vinegar based for me

Nov 12, 2020, 2:13 PM

The vinegar pepper sauce? I love that also. They call that the eastern Carolina sauce.

Yes, they do. SC famous for four types

Nov 12, 2020, 2:45 PM

Watched three of the BBQ Chefs on the Netflix show

the old lady in Texas is my favorite - dude in Australia is a 'meh' for me, Rodney Scott was interesting, but weird way they ended it with him and his dad not getting along apparently.

I've only seen the first episode of that.

Nov 12, 2020, 12:57 PM

That lady is a treasure.

They put the best episode first.

Nov 12, 2020, 12:58 PM

She is a great story and #### I want some of her brisket.

He got fired from his dad's in Hemingway...

Nov 12, 2020, 1:00 PM [ in reply to Watched three of the BBQ Chefs on the Netflix show ]

because they thought he was too big for his britches. And then he got hired by an investment group out of charleston and they made him even more famous - but they also made him fairly rich.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watching the episode, he saved the Hemingway location

Nov 12, 2020, 1:03 PM

after it burnt down and then went to Chucktown.

That's interesting...

Nov 12, 2020, 1:06 PM

not what I heard but who knows. By all accounts he's a good guy but I have reasons that I can't disclose to know that his father and uncle aren't particularly good or nice.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am sure the show told his story his way

Nov 12, 2020, 1:07 PM

but he did say his dad refused to change anything and he did not agree on a lot of things.

burgers done on the outside but not the inside

not a big griller

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Probably cooking them too hot.

Nov 12, 2020, 12:58 PM

Lakebum swears by smoking burgers but I have not attempted this yet.

My BIL cooked some huge ribeyes...

Nov 12, 2020, 1:02 PM

with a reverse sear, but he used smoke on them during the low temp part. I've never done that before but I will try it at least every once in a while. The steaks were brilliant.

this is how I do all my beef

Nov 12, 2020, 1:52 PM

and it's superior to any other method, barring the meat being very thin (lol, poor people)

for srs...reverse sear in the smoker, then toss in the firebox.

sometimes i'll mix it up and put the cast iron in the fire box and toss some butter in that ##### before i sear it for a couple minutes.

issue with that is i'm lazy and then I have to clean it

Prolly right. Lower the temp, and double the time.

Nov 12, 2020, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Probably cooking them too hot. ]

Older I get, the louder the kids get, the more nagging the wife gets, the more I have come to appreciate cooking low and slow on the grill. Drink more bourbon that way is a plus/plus.

Message was edited by: Tiggity®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all about variety when it comes to burgers. I enjoy

Nov 12, 2020, 1:14 PM [ in reply to burgers done on the outside but not the inside ]

a big ol' honkin' juicy burger, aww yeah! But also I will switch it up sometimes and make smashed burgers. Smashed burgers you say? What the h e 1 1 is that?

I usually make'em a bit smaller in diameter than regular burgers cause they're just easier to handle on the grill or in the cast iron, plus you can mix up topping and have more than one burger. Anyhoo, take you a little ball of ground meat (I will occasionally grind some brisket, rib meat, or even pork to add to the ground beef...flavor depth, yo) and smash that mutha down flat on a cookie sheet. Smash'em all out flat, thin as you want and throw'em in the freezer uncovered, let'em stiffen up a bit.

30minutes/hour/whenever later, pull'em out, season them and throw'em on a HOT grill or cast iron. They cook fast as flies farkin'...like a minute a side. Pull'em off, rest a minute, make juicy burger without worrying if it's done in the middle. I do these a lot if we're serving a bunch of folks, have lotsa topping varieties and/or have picky a s s people coming to dinner. I don't take no complainin' at the chef.

Re: burgers done on the outside but not the inside

Nov 12, 2020, 1:51 PM [ in reply to burgers done on the outside but not the inside ]

How does that happen? I have been using grill and smokers all my life and have never had that happen.

well maybe because you are so awesome***

Nov 12, 2020, 2:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Who's the best BBQer on the youtubes?

Nov 12, 2020, 12:59 PM

I'm inclined to say Malcom Reed, but Meat Church has been growing on me.

Yesterday I heard about the money muscle for the first time. Seems like way too much work for a little piece of meat, but it's fun to say money muscle.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That money muscle is gold when done right

Nov 12, 2020, 1:00 PM

#### I miss BBQ judging!

I do like both of those guys, the guy from Chud's, and I

Nov 12, 2020, 1:08 PM [ in reply to Who's the best BBQer on the youtubes? ]

think it is All Things BBQ that I watch sometimes. Cowboy Kent Rollins is my favorite personality for all things outdoor cooking.

How do I find time to cure, smoke and grill

Nov 12, 2020, 1:09 PM

all the meat that I want to cook? How do I go about storing all of the equipment as for about 4 months a year, its tough to get grills up to temp and to keep them up to temp.

Time is really the main thing that I need.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You got an egg?

Nov 12, 2020, 1:13 PM

or any Kamado grill would work. I would think the insulated nature of those grills would help keep the temp up for grilling.

Step 1. Get a ###### job that pays low

Nov 12, 2020, 1:31 PM [ in reply to How do I find time to cure, smoke and grill ]

but only takes up 40 hours a week.

Step 2. Have the kids be a bit older and self sufficient.

Step 3. Build an outdoor kitchen that will slightly insulate the cooker from the elements.

Step 4. Get a blanket for the smoker to help insulate it. Also some fire brick could help hold the temp.

Re: How do I find time to cure, smoke and grill

Nov 12, 2020, 1:46 PM [ in reply to How do I find time to cure, smoke and grill ]

I use my grill, smoker and so on several times a week. Smokers just put your stuff in and check on it in 4-12 hrs. It takes less time than using an oven.

Picture of Grill Comrade!

Nov 12, 2020, 1:55 PM

https://www.etsy.com/listing/817849795/shashlik-grill-bbq-grill-mangal?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_anniversary_Home_and_Living&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAiA17P9BRB2EiwAMvwNyM1HomqdTtFUz7uDNthUV1kY5C4vh-H-dTvfmOJ7iIG9tFIfPElgaBoCobQQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_1706784200_63430290661_331635215028_aud-736801674456

Message was edited by: FordPrefect®

do you even engineering brah?

Nov 12, 2020, 1:57 PM [ in reply to How do I find time to cure, smoke and grill ]

c'mon man!!

couple of tips:
1- build you a smoke gazebo to keep everything dry, and a good spot to spark up while the coals get hot
2- get a dried in outdoor storage solution for all smoking equipment, including the bowl and cabbage
3- my solution for cold weather seasons is to line my smoking chamber with bricks. takes a little longer to get the bricks heated up, but they do a good job of holding heat while it's cold outside.
3A- don't be a poor like me and pay up for the egg or kamodo joe
3B- be trailer park like FBCooch and wrap your smoker in a thermal blanket
3c- stop being a ##### and load that ############ up w/ some freshly split wood like a real man

Re: do you even engineering brah?

Nov 12, 2020, 2:00 PM

The egg and Kamodo are very good. I went to gas and electric some years back.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic