Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Small concern about DW4 and $$$
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Small concern about DW4 and $$$

May 1, 2017, 11:25 AM

I was pretty sure DW4 was brought up to respect earned dollars. Good for him that he bought his mom a new luxury car--I hope a nice house is next on the list. But the $2000 shoes, showing up in a limo, that sort of thing...I hope it's just a small celebratory spending spree and does not turn into a problem later.

Way too many NFL players and other pro athletes end up poor after living too large. He and his family are set for life if he wants to be, but not if he goes off the deep end and blows it all.

"More than two-thirds (78%) of former NFL players are broke or financially stressed after retirement, and 60% of former NBA players go broke five years after retiring/"

Our own William Perry can attest to that.

Eye-opening: http://nypost.com/2015/06/14/how-pro-athletes-lose-everything-buying-cars-jewels-and-pet-tigers/

"You are barely out of your teens, and have been signed to a multiyear, multimillion-dollar contract by a pro team. You can expect another $20 million to $30 million in endorsement deals, and are positioned to become a brand unto yourself: another LeBron, Brady, Kobe, Jeter.

What’s even more incredible? If you were to find yourself in this scenario, you would most likely wind up dead broke, if not bankrupt and homeless, by the time you turned 40.

“Lots of players are having ­financial trouble, but they won’t talk about it,” says ex-NBA player Adonal Foyle, author of the new book, “Winning the Money Game: Lessons Learned From the Financial Fouls of Pro Athletes”.

"Pro athletes go broke due to a constant series of bad decisions, and seemingly no amount of cautionary tales — from Tyson to Iverson to Holyfield to William “The Refrigerator” Perry — can stop them.

“Lots of guys are having trouble,” says Foyle, who also has a masters in sports psychology. “But they won’t talk about it. They think, ‘I don’t want to be one of those guys,’ and they’re hiding it.”

The litany of superstars who’ve taken themselves down is endless, and Foyle discusses most of them in his book: Mike Tyson, who tore through $300 million on multiple homes, cars, jewels and pet tigers. In 2003, he filed for bankruptcy.

Baseball great Curt Schilling made $112 million over 20 years, but went so broke that in 2013 he begged the Baseball Hall of Fame to return his bloody sock from a famous pitching performance
against the Yankees so that he could auction it off. (It brought in more than $92,000).

“What frustrated me was seeing the amount of difficulty players were having in my sport,” says Foyle, who spent 13 years in the NBA. “When I started talking to older NBA players and asking, ‘What is the landscape in retirement?’ the answers shocked me.”

Far too many of them, he found, had not only failed to plan for their future, but lacked a basic understanding of money management.

“Almost none of us come from wealthy families,” Foyle writes. “The vast majority of us do not even come from middle-class families. Instead, we sign multimillion-dollar contracts as ­20-year-olds with little or no financial knowledge.”

In a 2009 Sports Illustrated report, ex-NFL player Raghib “Rocket” Ismail described what it was like to sit in a meeting about his financial future as a very young, naive athlete: “I once had a meeting with JPMorgan,” he said, “and it was literally like listening to Charlie Brown’s teacher.”

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd bet he didnt pay for the shoes or the car...

May 1, 2017, 11:27 AM

just sayin'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Old Spice paid for it.

May 1, 2017, 11:29 AM

well, his contract with them did.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd bet he didnt pay for the shoes or the car...

May 1, 2017, 8:59 PM [ in reply to I'd bet he didnt pay for the shoes or the car... ]

I was under the assumption Houston sent the car!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nailed it**********

May 1, 2017, 9:59 PM [ in reply to I'd bet he didnt pay for the shoes or the car... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He definitely didn't pay for the Limo, suit, and shoes

May 1, 2017, 11:38 AM

He likely didn't pay for the Jaguar (that would have been an easy negotiation by his agent considering all the positive press Jaguar has gotten the past couple of days from it).

I can pretty much say with confidence that he's made more money prior to the draft than any other play in the draft by a large margin considering the following:

Snickers endorsement
Papa Johns endorsement
Old Spice endorsement
Nike endorsement
Beats by Dre endorsement

You also know that he did 3 or 4 camps that pulled in about $40-50K a pop if you do the math for just 4 hours of work each.

I think he'll be okay!

Re: He definitely didn't pay for the Limo, suit, and shoes

May 1, 2017, 9:00 PM

And is deserving of every single thing!!

Your small concern could be extended to everyone, in every

May 1, 2017, 11:41 AM

income group.

DW will be fine. Worst case, he messes up his finances and winds up living on a normal salary doing something out of the limelight (like the rest of us). Keep in mind, that he will never have to pay for a meal (or anything else) in Clemson for the rest of his life. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Small concern about DW4 and $$$

May 1, 2017, 12:19 PM

I would equate buying that Jaguar would be like me buying a Snickers candy bar, and I used to make 6 figures and could buy a ton of Snickers bars.

Including the decimal places?

May 1, 2017, 4:51 PM

$X,XXX.XX

Snowflake Basher........Out

after first Super Bowl ring, he can sell those shoes for

May 1, 2017, 4:39 PM

$10k. They will be a collectors item.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2017, 4:53 PM

Think the limo was paid for by the Texans.....

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am calling he makes a half billion before he retires.

May 1, 2017, 4:55 PM

Taat is including endorsements and that may be conservative. He will be fine. Starting QB's are already making close to 30 million per year. He will probably get a couple hundred in endorsements one day too. I am calling 500 million is conservative over his life. He can afford 2000 shoes.

May 1, 2017, 7:12 PM

I am betting this issue is addressed at part of the career building program Clemson football has.

All you can do is provide the lessons learned...they have to do the rest.

I seriously doubt he had to pay for the shoes or limo. I heard Penny's was involved in clothing him and his family.

As for the car.....I don't blame him at all for wanting to do everything for his Mom. And I bet he did pay for it.

Correction - how pro athletes lose everything....@tigerwoods

May 1, 2017, 9:06 PM
how pro .jpeg(141.4 K)

amiright?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes exactly. It's not the shoes. It's chicks, kids,...

May 1, 2017, 9:21 PM

gambling/partying, and a stupid side business or two. In that order.

May 1, 2017, 9:17 PM

He has lived dirt poor all his life. He deserves some nice stuff. He will be fine.

Well, the big problem with most of the sad scenarios is they

May 1, 2017, 9:39 PM

went from dirt poor to millionaires, overnight. I am confident DW is smarter than a majority of the millionaire atheletes, and will invest wisely.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting article . You have provided the

May 1, 2017, 9:55 PM

a story of truth which does not disparage Deshaun in any way .
As I see read it , it is a cautionary tale for anyone who has what seems as though they have an endless supply of $$$ .

And yes , I think Deshaun will be be fine because he is smarter than most .

May 1, 2017, 10:07 PM

I bet eventually he starts some scholarship fund, etc associated with habitat.

I try to mind my own business.

May 1, 2017, 10:31 PM

I hope others do the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I try to mind my own business.

May 1, 2017, 11:00 PM

Yea . That's what everyone does on Tigernet ??

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic