Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sling TV Questions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Sling TV Questions

Aug 23, 2015, 7:18 PM

Does anyone have Sling TV? What do you think of it? Any Pluses or Minuses? What extra equipment do you need of run it? Thanks for your help.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't have it but I'm signing up this fall

Aug 23, 2015, 7:35 PM

You shouldn't need any extra equipment to run it. It's a streaming service - similar to Netflix, Hulu, etc - that will run off of any device connected to the internet. That includes your smartphone, laptop, and tablet. If you want to run it on your TV, you need a smart TV or a device connected like Google's Chromecast or an Xbox One.

it all depends on what I did and what direction she

Aug 23, 2015, 7:38 PM

Slings the TV. The last time she slung it I forgot to come pick her up at my moms house and she was tired of hanging out with my mom. She got a pretty good sling on that one and she let go at the top of her quick release it went through the bay window and broke two vases and both windows.

Last year I forgot to get milk and cereal and it was early, I told her I had just started watching a rerun of a Clemson football game. I knew she would probably sling it so I put pillows over the window and she just broke a picture of my mother- in- law.

I guess you could say the extra equipment saved me from having to buy another TV.

That's just a sample size. I personally prefer her not to sling it so I'm good most of the time.??

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

I have the Dish Hopper with Sling

Aug 23, 2015, 7:40 PM

Before that I had a standalone slingbox. Have always loved it. If you have a solid data or wireless signal, it's excellent. I run it on an android phone or my Galaxy Tab S 10" using the Dish app. I don't have the option to use the Dish Tailgater because I park under the North stands and you need a clear view of the southern sky. I'm perfectly happy watching on my little tablet with a bluetooth speaker and tear down postgame is way easier than with a big screen. You can also use it in the stadium. I would recommend an external battery back if you're planning a full day of viewing. I use an Anker Astro E6, which also travels on long flights with me. http://www.ianker.com/product/A1209011

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have the Dish Hopper with Sling

Aug 23, 2015, 8:12 PM

Are you streaming via cellular service? I can't get enough signal on gameday to send a picture, much less stream video.

I'm on Verizon

Aug 25, 2015, 7:59 AM

On gameday, I have enough signal, even parked under the north stands, to get a solid data stream for video. During the game I use the stadium wifi, data, or a combination thereof.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sling TV Questions

Aug 23, 2015, 8:59 PM

I have it. You are going to want to run it on a wireless router that has a 5ghz signal or a device that offers wired network connection. When I ran it on 2.4ghz , it would sometime have poor quality. 5 ghz it works really well.
(Using roku stick)

Aug 23, 2015, 9:03 PM

Thanks for the information

Aug 23, 2015, 9:41 PM

I have Sling TV with the sports package added. That gives you ESPN 1, 2, ESPN NEWS, ESPNU, plus others. Also the ESPN app is supported and comes with ESPN 3 as well. Do not mistake Sling TVER with Slingbox. They are different. Local channels are not on Sling. You will need an HD antenna for local channels. You can't beat it for $25. Only downfall is you can only stream to one device at a time. If you order and prepay for 3 months you can get a Roku Stick for free or a Roku 3 (recommended, much faster and better picture) for $50. Any questions tmail me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 24, 2015, 1:03 AM

I just ordered the Roku 3 deal this week, still waiting on the Roku box so I can watch it on my TV but so far watching it on my phone and computer I have no complaints...And it qualifies as a provider for ESPN 3 too whic is good. I'm sure over the next year as it grows too they will keep adding channels.

Aug 24, 2015, 9:31 AM

SlingTV is different than SlingBox. I cut cable in January, not just use an antenna, Netflix, Hulu and SlingTV all for under $40 a month. I access these services thru a Roku device. Some smart TV's have access to Sling as well. I love it and it works great. Not sure I will ever pay for cable/Dish/Direct again.

I've had some minor buffering issues but that's it

Aug 24, 2015, 10:03 AM

If you want to run it on your TV you'll need a Roku or at least an HDMI cable to run to your laptop.

Aug 24, 2015, 10:38 AM

Ive enjoyed it and I use the Amazon Fire TV stick.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Aug 25, 2015, 8:20 AM

For anyone who may know. Is it true a PS3 won't work? I use that for my Netflix, which works great.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic