Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Slicing through cupcakes...undefeated teams vs. Power 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,196

Slicing through cupcakes...undefeated teams vs. Power 5

Nov 3, 2019, 7:24 PM

I hear much about Clemson's strength of schedule...or lack thereof. Part of Clemson's problem is that we are so good we are blowing out everyone we play. That, IMO, gives Clemson's schedule a different look than some of the other teams we are compared against in the CFP upcoming poll.

But, if you look at the 7 undefeated teams and how those teams have played vs. other Power 5 teams...you can see Clemson is not alone in questions about schedule.

LSU's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 16-17 (.485) vs. other Power 5 teams
Penn State's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 19-21 (.475) vs. other Power 5 teams
Baylor's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 14-18 (.437) vs. other Power 5 teams
Clemson's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 18-28 (.391) vs. other Power 5 teams
Ohio State's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 11-21 (.344) vs. other Power 5 teams
Alabama's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 12-27 (.308) vs. other Power 5 teams
Minnesota's Power 5 wins were against teams that are currently 10-25 (.286) vs. other Power 5 teams

LSU has wins against 3 teams (Texas, Florida, Auburn) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Penn State has wins against 3 teams (Pitt, Iowa, Michigan) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Baylor has wins against 3 teams (Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Clemson has wins against 3 teams (TAMU, UNC, BC) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Ohio State has wins against 2 teams (Wisconsin, Indiana) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Alabama has wins against 1 team (TAMU) that have .500 records or better against Power 5
Minnesota has wins against 1 teams (Illinois) that have .500 records or better against Power 5

So, if the CFP was based on the simple metric of Strength of Schedule related to Power 5 vs. Power 5 the Top 4 would be:

1. LSU
2. Penn State
3. Baylor
4. Clemson

It won't be that way, of course. But, Clemson's SOS is not very good but not that far removed from our peers.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slicing through cupcakes...undefeated teams vs. Power 5

Nov 3, 2019, 7:33 PM

Are you really Tim Bourret?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Every SID in the country does what Bourret does

Nov 3, 2019, 9:11 PM

He’s just well known for his seniority at it

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL...that is disrespect to Tim :)***

Nov 4, 2019, 6:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Slicing through cupcakes...undefeated teams vs. Power 5 ]

Nov 3, 2019, 7:41 PM

If you torture the data it will speak volumes!!!

Loud and clear!!!

:)

Nov 3, 2019, 7:42 PM

Good work but add the famous “eye test” to your data. Think LSU deserves to be 1 with your data plus eye test. Penn State has been sleeper good and I had them 5 in my ranking. Only reason 5 is I believe Ohio St beats them on the field.

1. LSU
2. Clemson
3. Ohio St
4. Bama
5. Penn St
6. Baylor
7. Who cares from here on out

good points***

Nov 3, 2019, 8:28 PM

Nov 3, 2019, 8:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Slicing through cupcakes...undefeated teams vs. Power 5 ]

What I find humorous is how "they" keep saying, "You can't rank someone(ie, Clemson) on how they did in the past!"

However, the whole SEC gets nods for their "past successes". Which were mostly in the pre-playoff era, when it was all done by the SEC-biased media ranking system. Now I'm not saying some of the Sec teams aren't that good. But their lower tier schools get unwarranted nods just for being in the same conference.

Personally, I don't think there should be a top 25 poll out until maybe 4 weeks into the season so you/we/they can a look at where EVERYBODY stands.

Like Dabo said earlier in the year when asked about being ranked #1, "We didn't rank us #1 somebody else did!"

ST

You're wasting your time

Nov 3, 2019, 8:54 PM

We've won two national championships in three years and you're posting like Clemson is UCF. We'll prove again we belong-sit back and enjoy the ride.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,196
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic