Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Top 5 ACC basketball players of all time?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Top 5 ACC basketball players of all time?

Mar 17, 2015, 4:33 PM

In no particular order...

Lenny Bias
David Thompson
Ralph Sampson
Tim Duncan
MJ

Honorable mention:

Antoine Jameson
James Worthy
Laettner
Juan Dixon

What say ye??

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Top 5 ACC basketball players of all time?

Mar 17, 2015, 4:36 PM

Terrance Oglesby needs to be somewhere on that list. Well, I'm sure he thinks he should be.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mark Price, bro.

Mar 17, 2015, 4:38 PM

Gotta throw a jacket in there.

Strongly considered him for honorable mention***

Mar 17, 2015, 6:22 PM

Raymond Sykes***

Mar 17, 2015, 4:40 PM

Re: Raymond Sykes***

Mar 17, 2015, 5:00 PM

dustin braddock

All-Hair Team***

Mar 17, 2015, 6:30 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2015, 4:43 PM

Adam Allenspac

Bobo***

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Good list...hard to argue with that one***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bull####. Tom Gugliotta.***

Mar 17, 2015, 5:01 PM

Tom isn't a better player than Christian L or James Worthy

Mar 17, 2015, 5:10 PM

or Tim Duncan...he was a very good player

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

humbly disagree....

Mar 18, 2015, 12:20 PM

MJ's scoring was down at UNC vis-a-vis for the Bulls, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great college player, and he clearly was top 5 all-time in the ACC.

I personally saw DT's first ACC game ever - in the Big 4 Classic in Greensboro, after seeing him several times on the freshman team and also on State's track team. I have no problem with anyone calling him the greatest of all-time in the ACC. Lord, he had the best jump shot of any "leaper" there ever was - magnitudes better than the Jordan's, Dr. J's, Scottie Pippen's, Dominique Wilkins', et al and as good as any scorer in the NBA right now - it was a beauty to watch.

But Jordan was much more of a leader and a defensive presence for Carolina than DT ever was - in college or the pros. It simply wasn't in DT's personality to be an outspoken force. If you were to look at the team that beat UCLA and won it all in 74, you'd see that their leaders were Tommy Burleson and Monty Towe. Both simply tried to impose themselves on the game in a way that DT generally didn't, except possibly sometimes as a scorer. Towe and Burleson are the two guys that kept State from losing to Maryland and UCLA that year, even as they were down to both late in the game and had to go OT against both to win.

Jordan on the other hand was simply a presence of will from the moment he started at Carolina - a selfish competitor unlike any Dean had had before there, and one that even Dean Smith couldn't keep off the floor. He was a bit like Bill Walton was to John Wooden at UCLA - Jordan got away with things with Smith that other players weren't allowed to do.

It's absolutely no coincidence that MJ was the player to hit the shot that won Smith his first title even though Smith had been to 7 or 8 Final Fours previously, even as the jumper was never really a consistent weapon for MJ until very late in his pro career.

Charlie Scott, Phil Ford, Bobby Jones, "Sweet D" Walter Davis, Billy Cunningham, Larry Miller, Bob McAdoo, Dennis Wuycik, Bill Chamberlain, Mike O'Koren, Rusty Clark, George Karl, Al Wood, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Mitch Kupchak, Tommy LaGarde, et all

all the great players that Dean had, and only one won him that first championship.

(It's also no coincidence that George Lynch was on the Dean's 2nd NCAA title team - he was cut from the same mold attitude-wise as Jordan, just obviously not nearly as athletically gifted.)

Mar 17, 2015, 5:01 PM

No David Potter?

Mar 17, 2015, 5:02 PM

Grant Hill
Christian Laettner
Chris Paul

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2015, 5:04 PM

You can't leave Allen Harper Wise off that list .

Juan Dixon? Seems a little out of place

Mar 17, 2015, 5:08 PM

I'd also consider Grant Hill, Phil Ford, Lenny Rosenbluth and Mike Gminski

agree... Grant Hill was a better player than Juan Dixon

Mar 17, 2015, 5:12 PM

Phil Ford and Mark Price to me were better player than Juan Dixon.

I dunno....see post below...

Mar 17, 2015, 6:37 PM

Ford was a better PG, but they were different types of players. I think Dixon accomplished more with less help than Ford did

No 3-point goal when Ford played

Mar 17, 2015, 7:11 PM

Dixon was a really good player but the other guys we're talking about were 2-3 time All-Americans. Dixon just isn't in their league. Top 20, not top 5 or 10

Re: No 3-point goal when Ford played

Mar 17, 2015, 7:19 PM

Christian L is without a doubt a top 5 college player of all time . 4 straight final fours, back to back titles, holds multiple tourny rec

Out of place? I beg to differ....

Mar 17, 2015, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Juan Dixon? Seems a little out of place ]

3 time 1st team All ACC (2000-2002)
ACC Player of the year (2002)
ACC Athlete of the year (2002)
3rd team All American(2001)
Consensus 1st team All American (2002)
Two final four appearances (2001-2002)
NCAA Champion (2002)
NCAA Final Four Most Outstanding Player (2002)

Only player in NCAA history to accumulate 2,000 points, 300 steals and 200 three-point field goals

Hard to downplay his accomplishments while playing during one of the most competitive periods in ACC history. Kid played with more heart and passion than anybody else I've seen in recent memory.

If Dixon doesn't at least make "honorable mention," I don't know who does

David Thompson, Michael Jordan, Charlie Scott, Tim Duncan,

Mar 17, 2015, 5:09 PM

and Ralph Sampson is my first team..........honorable mention to Skip Wise. There were some great ones in 50's and 60' that everyone overlooks.

Ralph just dominated back in the day***

Mar 17, 2015, 5:12 PM

It seemed like he and Duncan were in school for about 10 yrs***

Mar 17, 2015, 5:22 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

That's a pretty darn good list....

Mar 17, 2015, 5:21 PM [ in reply to David Thompson, Michael Jordan, Charlie Scott, Tim Duncan, ]

It's almost mind-knumbing to sort through the vast array of talent that has come through the ACC since the conference first started sixty two years ago.

The hard part about putting together a list like this is eliminating some very deserving players from consideration or evaluating their performances while in college without allowing their respective professional careers to influence your decision.

I would be very tempted to add guys like Phil Ford (one of the best point guards in ACC history) and J.J. Reddick (one of the best, if not the best pure shooter in ACC hisotry) to that list.

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Agree...I almost added Ford and Reddick***

Mar 17, 2015, 6:31 PM

Mar 17, 2015, 5:14 PM

Horce Grant
Dale Davis
Elden Campbell
Greg Buckner
Tervor Booker

I really want to include Cliff Hammonds.

I think some of the teams up here in North Carolina have had some pretty good players, but I'm not sure they crack the top five. I dunno... maybe that dude who played for the Bulls in the NBA cold be in the top five.

Michael Jordan

Mar 17, 2015, 5:44 PM

and .....

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somebody above mentioned Phil Ford, I'd add John Lucas

Mar 17, 2015, 5:55 PM

maybe Mark Price or John Salley, Art Heyman, the list is considerable....I'd like to see Tree make somebody's All-time ACC list....he was a/the dominant center for a while.

ABOUT MICHAEL JORDAN: I have no issue with anyone wanting to name Jordan to any greatest NBA players list. But people that weren't old enough to see him play at unc assume (I think) that he was the dominating player there that he was with the Bulls......nothing is really further from the truth.......Jordan only played 2 years of college ball, and while he was named ACC POY in his sophomore season, he wasn't really a/the dominating player in the conference until the last half of his final year.....and he was impressive then. Thats not to say he wasn't a good-great player the year and a half prior to that---he was quite good. Its just that some people think he and Scotty Pippen started together as freshmen in chapelhole.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I almost put Lucas, Price, and Ford...good choices

Mar 17, 2015, 6:33 PM

Agree about MJ, but still hard to leave him off the top 5

No Pasha Bains? What say ye?***

Mar 17, 2015, 6:17 PM

Art Heyman***

Mar 17, 2015, 6:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think even Christian Laettner was as hated as

Mar 17, 2015, 6:35 PM

Heyman was while he played at Duke....the unc folks certainly spoke poorly of him....lol!

The weird thing about Heyman is, good as he was, he got really po'ed when Duke fired his old coach Vic Bubas and afterwards Heyman refused to have anything to do with Duke....he never attended alum gatherings, declined any sort of awards (although he was a multiple time All-American) from his alma mater,....just generally disavowed any sort of relationship to Duke. I don't know if they've kissed and made up yet, but I've not read anything about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think even Christian Laettner was as hated as

Mar 17, 2015, 6:52 PM

There has never been an explanation for why Bubas stepped down. Heyman died within the last year or two, and you're right, he never had anything to do with Duke after he left.

Mar 17, 2015, 6:31 PM

MJ
David Thompson
Bob Macadoo
James Worthy
Banks McFadden

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not that it matters much, but

Mar 17, 2015, 6:38 PM

McFadden didn't play in the ACC....though I daresay he'd STILL have been an A-A regardless

Re: not that it matters much, but

Mar 18, 2015, 5:45 AM

Carp! I forgot about that! I forgot we used to be southern conference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Skip Wise no doubt***

Mar 17, 2015, 7:41 PM

Re: Skip Wise no doubt***

Mar 17, 2015, 7:46 PM

Tom Hammonds
Steve Francis
Sam Ivy

Re: Skip Wise no doubt***

Mar 17, 2015, 8:19 PM [ in reply to Skip Wise no doubt*** ]

absolutely agree!!then David Thompson

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cannot argue with this list, but it is the mdern era. Go

Mar 17, 2015, 8:11 PM

Way back and you had Banks McFadden, #### Groat, Billy Cunningham, John Roche, etc. Granted your list would have beat this list but it was a different time and era.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:04 PM

Michael Jordan
Christian Laettner
David Thompson
Tyler Hansbrough
J.J. Redick

Mar 17, 2015, 10:10 PM

Skip Wise told Clean Dean what CLEMSON was "thinking"!
Dean double the Offer.

David Thompson is probably the best ACC player ever.

Mar 17, 2015, 10:37 PM

I would also include Ralph Sampson, Christian Laettner, Tim Duncan, and Phil Ford.

Honorable mention: Mike Gminski, Len Bias, and James Worthy.

No way Jordan even sniffs the top 10. He wasn't nearly the dominant player in college as he was in the NBA.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

You Are Absolutely

Mar 17, 2015, 11:37 PM

correct. mj is the greatest ball player in the history of bball - period. but he was not one of the top 5 in Acc history, maybe not top 10. could have been, but team didn't operate that way. Laettner is absolutely top 5 - as is Phil ford. Sampson, Duncan, Thompson. bias and worthy very very close to top 5.

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

humbly disagree....

Mar 18, 2015, 12:21 PM

MJ's scoring was down at UNC vis-a-vis for the Bulls, but that doesn't mean he wasn't a great college player, and he clearly was top 5 all-time in the ACC.

I personally saw DT's first ACC game ever - in the Big 4 Classic in Greensboro, after seeing him several times on the freshman team and also on State's track team. I have no problem with anyone calling him the greatest of all-time in the ACC. Lord, he had the best jump shot of any "leaper" there ever was - magnitudes better than the Jordan's, Dr. J's, Scottie Pippen's, Dominique Wilkins', et al and as good as any scorer in the NBA right now - it was a beauty to watch.

But Jordan was much more of a leader and a defensive presence for Carolina than DT ever was - in college or the pros. It simply wasn't in DT's personality to be an outspoken force. If you were to look at the team that beat UCLA and won it all in 74, you'd see that their leaders were Tommy Burleson and Monty Towe. Both simply tried to impose themselves on the game in a way that DT generally didn't, except possibly sometimes as a scorer. Towe and Burleson are the two guys that kept State from losing to Maryland and UCLA that year, even as they were down to both late in the game and had to go OT against both to win.

Jordan on the other hand was simply a presence of will from the moment he started at Carolina - a selfish competitor unlike any Dean had had before there, and one that even Dean Smith couldn't keep off the floor. He was a bit like Bill Walton was to John Wooden at UCLA - Jordan got away with things with Smith that other players weren't allowed to do.

It's absolutely no coincidence that MJ was the player to hit the shot that won Smith his first title even though Smith had been to 7 or 8 Final Fours previously, even as the jumper was never really a consistent weapon for MJ until very late in his pro career.

Charlie Scott, Phil Ford, Bobby Jones, "Sweet D" Walter Davis, Billy Cunningham, Larry Miller, Bob McAdoo, Dennis Wuycik, Bill Chamberlain, Mike O'Koren, Rusty Clark, George Karl, Al Wood, James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Mitch Kupchak, Tommy LaGarde, et all

all the great players that Dean had, and only one won him that first championship.

(It's also no coincidence that George Lynch was on the Dean's 2nd NCAA title team - he was cut from the same mold attitude-wise as Jordan, just obviously not nearly as athletically gifted.)

Dec 30, 2022, 7:03 PM

5. Trey Blackstone
4. Arnold " Smoochie Bear " Ott
3. Kenny Tretherington
2. Al Formiga El Baraspo

1. "Fickle" Dicky McNicholl

DB23

Laettner at the top***

Mar 18, 2015, 9:28 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Dec 30, 2022, 6:06 PM

David Thompson
Christian Laettner
Michael Jordan
Ralph Sampson
Tim Duncan

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

based entirely on their college days

Dec 30, 2022, 6:16 PM

David Thompson
Phil Ford
Christian Laettner
Ralph Sampson
Tim Duncan

It pains me to bring baby blue but Phil Ford was a force***

Mar 18, 2015, 12:24 PM

Re: It pains me to bring baby blue but Phil Ford was a force***

Mar 18, 2015, 1:29 PM

his last home game against Duke in 1978 was one of (if not) the best individual performances i've ever seen

Ford transformed the college game

Mar 18, 2015, 2:15 PM

his ability in the 4 corners resulted in a shot clock. He personally controlled games

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic