Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Skip Wise - here's an interesting article written by someone
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Skip Wise - here's an interesting article written by someone

Mar 11, 2013, 12:57 PM

who was (apparently) there.

http://hoopshype.com/articles/greatest_ferranti.htm

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

double germans

Mar 11, 2013, 1:05 PM

I believe someone posted that on here about 8 years ago.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I must not have been logged in that day. :-)***

Mar 11, 2013, 1:09 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I must not have been logged in that day. :-)***

Mar 11, 2013, 1:12 PM

haha, good article, what a shame.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The article has inaccuracies, at least one big one

Mar 11, 2013, 1:13 PM

Skip averaged 18 points a game at clemson.
and yes I think this led the ACC in scoring. 27 is quite and inflated number. I'll even say it was 18 point 1 per game. Someone look it up.

He also had quite the flare for the under the leg or around the back pass, which Locke chewed him up for, to no avail.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This link looks pretty official: 18.3

Mar 11, 2013, 4:19 PM

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/clemson/1975.html

I was around in '75 and remember a mid-20's number being floated around as well. I wonder if that was for ACC games only? These stats show that he didn't start in several games. Possibly, he played sparingly early on - bringing down his ppg average.

Well, now that you mention, I remember him

Mar 11, 2013, 10:57 PM

having a hammy injury or something like that that slowed him a bit. He overcame it, of course. Nice confirmation of my memory.

Re: Skip Wise - here's an interesting article written by someone

Mar 11, 2013, 1:16 PM

Saw him play at Clemson...The greatest one year player ever at Clemson!

Mar 11, 2013, 2:05 PM

I still remember the great games with Wise-men, Rome-in, in the Tree-tops....what a waste of talent....

f-3 sign

Mar 11, 2013, 11:34 PM

got us into the games early to hang it
and then prime rabble rouser seats

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

saw him play against U of Penn, Chuck Daly was

Mar 11, 2013, 2:09 PM

the coach of Penn. wise scored 37 or 38 points and Clemson only scored 60+. best freshman that I ever saw in ACC(including Jordan and Phil Ford)

Mar 11, 2013, 2:10 PM

Tree was a Soph and we had Wise, Rome, Colin Abraham and Jimmy Howell as Fr. What a fun team to watch. the highlights I remember were beating Maryland when they were loaded in LJ and running NCSU with David Thompson out of the gym. Of course Thompson did get in early foul trouble and was not a factor. That was the year after they won the Nat'l Champ. and Burleson had left. We also had the heels down by about 20 in chapel hole at the half but the refs came to their rescue and turned the game around for them. I remember one 3 seconds call against us before we even got the ball past half court. Evert time we would beat one of the Tobacco Road teams, within a few days you would hear of a media outlet releasing a story about recruiting violations - all of which was true. All of the stars drove around campus in new Monte Carlos. The 'not so amazing' part was the 2 or 3 year probation that we got and NCSU only got one year for their shenanigans with Thompson. Man did I love watching that 74-75 team.

I was a student at Clemson when he was there

Mar 11, 2013, 2:26 PM

I've told people he may have been the best player who ever played in the ACC. I know he should be in the top 5. I'm no basketball coach or scout but this guy could play ball. I saw him in several games against Md., NC State and UNC. Too bad his life turned out like it did.

You gotta be real good to have your first name

Mar 11, 2013, 3:20 PM
skip.jpg(9.2 K)

on the back of your jersey! I guess he was!

That was one thing about him that I always remembered....

Mar 11, 2013, 5:27 PM

aside from how he played. The back of his jersey said "Skip" as opposed to "Wise".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: That was one thing about him that I always remembered....

Mar 11, 2013, 6:00 PM

That was an inside joke on the team, referring to his academic attendance, according to his teammates.

Just stumbled across this; that is Skip Brown of Wake

Mar 20, 2013, 11:11 PM [ in reply to You gotta be real good to have your first name ]

Forest in the pic, not Skip Wise.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Best player I EVER saw at Clemson..

Mar 11, 2013, 3:01 PM

for one year. Unbelievable talent. Best thing that ever happened to Phil Ford was Ship leavig school Ford couldnt hold his jock strap on the basketball court

Mar 11, 2013, 5:03 PM

I had the pleasure of watching him play. I remember once when he clearly walked with the ball, and he made it look so graceful, he got away with it. That was Skip Wise. Freaking awesome with a basketball. Best - bar none - freshman that I have ever witnessed in the entire ACC.

I think UNC and Duke fans are still trembling at the thoughts of playing against him. :)

By a wide margin, he was the best I have ever seen....period***

Mar 11, 2013, 5:49 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about this un spoken of fact:

Mar 11, 2013, 11:04 PM

I was in Locke's basketball camp when he shared about Skip Wise to us young, wide-eyed kids. And Locke stated a couple of things: the guy was an awesome rope-skipper. Hearing this inspired me to go and do the same, and I did it for years for basketball training, and coached this training method in my teams also.

Secondly - and I would very much like someone to confirm this - Locke shared with us that Skip Wise was missing a big toe! This was part of a speech he gave us in camp about overcoming your physical handicaps and still performing at a high level. Anyone know of this "missing big toe" thing? This made it all the more incredible, Locke stated to us, that Skip had such great balance.

This was in a 2007 update

Mar 12, 2013, 12:45 AM

latest I could find.....

"Now, Wise works for a local recreation center, still follows local high school basketball and still cherishes his time playing for William “Sugar” Cain at Dunbar.

"Coach was like a father to me," Wise said a few years ago at Dunbar's basketball reunion. "I had a great time playing here. A lot of great memories."
copied from Pressboxonline.com

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic