Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My most vivid memories of Clemson football growing up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

My most vivid memories of Clemson football growing up

Jun 4, 2019, 10:41 AM

Not all of these are good.....

1. Rod Gardner’s catch in 2000. I was only 13 years old and sitting on the opposite side of the stadium. All I remember is the ball going up and then a deafening roar. I didn’t even see it.

2. The night before the 1996 Gator Bowl at a pep rally one of the male cheerleaders grabbing a mic and saying “tomorrow we are gonna show them who the real orange men are”....we lost to Syracuse 41-0 in a soaking rain.

3. Watching us miss a last second field goal against South Carolina that would have tied the game and sent it to overtime the first year it was implemented in CFB.

4. Sitting right in front of former Clemson linebacker Tim Jones at a spring game.

5. The guy who said the prayer before the Marshall game in 1999 in which they beat us 13-10 insulting them by saying it was their first year in D1 (it was their second) and the visitors section erupting in boos right in the middle of it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember TB taking Regggie Merriweather out of the

Jun 4, 2019, 11:02 AM

game even though the coots couldn't stop him as he ran the ball right down their throats for first downs as time was running out so TB puts Davis in and it stopped the momentum.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think that’s way overstated. Pulling RM for JD is

Jun 4, 2019, 1:24 PM

like pulling Adam Choice for Travis Etienne.

I thought RM may be getting tired after many consecutive runs and thought it was a good move at the time. In hindsight since we lost, yea you leave RM in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fwiw it was probably the call of the OC and not TB but I,

Jun 4, 2019, 1:33 PM

like most people, naturally associate decisions with the head coach because, well, he's the head coach. It's true that hindsight is 20/20 but I remember how bad I felt when he was taken out after working so hard to get us down there.

Re: Think that’s way overstated. Pulling RM for JD is

Jun 4, 2019, 9:32 PM [ in reply to Think that’s way overstated. Pulling RM for JD is ]

R M wasn't THAT tired

Highly motivated in-state player giving a peak performance

Jun 4, 2019, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Think that’s way overstated. Pulling RM for JD is ]

... against hated rival, with legendary status on the line.

Adrenaline and desire are a powerful combination. He was on a roll. The gamecocks defense was on its heels.

Reggie Merriwether was going to score a TD and win that game.

I’ll always be convinced of that.

Unless he actually took himself out of the game, the decision was a mistake.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My most vivid memories of Clemson football growing up

Jun 4, 2019, 11:04 AM

3 out of 5 of your most vivid memories are negative. Do you ever wonder why your TigerPulse is not higher?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

great memories, I bet you are a riot at parties***

Jun 4, 2019, 11:14 AM

Sit down young whipper snapper and let me tell you a story

Jun 4, 2019, 11:36 AM

I have only one bad memory of a Clemson football game. EVER.

Once upon a time (one and a half score and one years ago) Danny Ford and the Clemson Tigers played FSU at home in a football game. It was September 18, 1988 and it was a packed stadium on a cloudy and wet day. We played a 10th ranked FSU that day in Death Valley. It was the first EVER matchup between two top-10 teams in Death Valley. If Game Day existed back then, it would have been there in Clemson that day. Brent Musberger was calling the game. At the end of the game we were tied at 21 each. It was 4th and 4 with 90 seconds left in the game. FSU had the ball deep in their own territory. This looked like a win for sure that day as we would be getting the ball back. They were punting to us from their own 20-something yardline. A fake seemed like suicide from that position on the field. They were at the 20 closest to me and The Hill, RIGHT in front of me. I was sitting in section M, Row GG, at the opposite end of the field looking south as the teams lined up for the punt. We were ALL screaming at the top of our lungs hoping for a block. We had the momentum at that point. They snapped the ball. The punter jumped high in the air as if it was a high snap. You could hear the crowd scream kick up a notch as they all saw the tell-tale signs of a high snap. But through my binoculars, I COULD NOT see the ball. It was a FAKE! So I took down the binoculars so I could see the whole field.

What I saw I could not comprehend. There was an FSU player running down the field, all by himself. His name was Leroy Butler. He had the ball (somehow) and was cruising for the endzone at the base of what is today the WEZ. Screams of joy from an apparent high snap turned to screams of agony watching him run the entire field, unmolested, and was finally knocked out of bounds at the 4 yard line, on the opposite end of the field from me. They went on to win with a field goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5cehezmvQ

To this day I have very visceral and real scars from witnessing that play. It was later outlawed. But that day in Death Valley, Bobby Bowden cemented a legacy with one of the most infamous trick plays ever pulled off in a college football game. And we were the recipient of the loss. And that makes every Rod Gardner catch, Jerry Butler's catch, and Hunter Renfrow's catch that much sweeter. That makes 4th and 16 a program-changing play. It makes you appreciate every win, even against Furman or Long Beach State. And it makes you appreciate NEVER celebrating a Clemson victory over FSU until the final whistle blows. To this day I still REFUSE to believe we will beat FSU until I hear that final whistle. No matter the score. It's just instinct burned in my soul from watching the puntrooskie. Respect every play until there is absolutely zero mathematical chance you can lose. THEN respect every play after that, until the whistle blows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sit down young whipper snapper and let me tell you a story

Jun 4, 2019, 1:30 PM

And now, here we are with the roles reversed...."And the tide rushes in....and washes my castle away...and i'm never sure,on which side of the bed i should lay(i don't write them)"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Sit down young whipper snapper and let me tell you a story ]

Tiggity® said:

I have only one bad memory of a Clemson football game. EVER.

Once upon a time (one and a half score and one years ago) Danny Ford and the Clemson Tigers played FSU at home in a football game. It was September 18, 1988 and it was a packed stadium on a cloudy and wet day. We played a 10th ranked FSU that day in Death Valley. It was the first EVER matchup between two top-10 teams in Death Valley. If Game Day existed back then, it would have been there in Clemson that day. Brent Musberger was calling the game. At the end of the game we were tied at 21 each. It was 4th and 4 with 90 seconds left in the game. FSU had the ball deep in their own territory. This looked like a win for sure that day as we would be getting the ball back. They were punting to us from their own 20-something yardline. A fake seemed like suicide from that position on the field. They were at the 20 closest to me and The Hill, RIGHT in front of me. I was sitting in section M, Row GG, at the opposite end of the field looking south as the teams lined up for the punt. We were ALL screaming at the top of our lungs hoping for a block. We had the momentum at that point. They snapped the ball. The punter jumped high in the air as if it was a high snap. You could hear the crowd scream kick up a notch as they all saw the tell-tale signs of a high snap. But through my binoculars, I COULD NOT see the ball. It was a FAKE! So I took down the binoculars so I could see the whole field.

What I saw I could not comprehend. There was an FSU player running down the field, all by himself. His name was Leroy Butler. He had the ball (somehow) and was cruising for the endzone at the base of what is today the WEZ. Screams of joy from an apparent high snap turned to screams of agony watching him run the entire field, unmolested, and was finally knocked out of bounds at the 4 yard line, on the opposite end of the field from me. They went on to win with a field goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj5cehezmvQ

To this day I have very visceral and real scars from witnessing that play. It was later outlawed. But that day in Death Valley, Bobby Bowden cemented a legacy with one of the most infamous trick plays ever pulled off in a college football game. And we were the recipient of the loss. And that makes every Rod Gardner catch, Jerry Butler's catch, and Hunter Renfrow's catch that much sweeter. That makes 4th and 16 a program-changing play. It makes you appreciate every win, even against Furman or Long Beach State. And it makes you appreciate NEVER celebrating a Clemson victory over FSU until the final whistle blows. To this day I still REFUSE to believe we will beat FSU until I hear that final whistle. No matter the score. It's just instinct burned in my soul from watching the puntrooskie. Respect every play until there is absolutely zero mathematical chance you can lose. THEN respect every play after that, until the whistle blows.

I was at the opposite enf of the field at about the 10 yard line on Row LL. My dad had 4 seats there for as long as I can remember . The Noles were so far down at he other end, it was hard to make out numbers it seems. The punter , jumped and I remember my eyes following the punter for a split second. Then i looked back down AND THERE HE CAME! It was like it was in slow motion. Nobodys saw him until he was 5 yards through the line of scrimmage. He just kept COMING and coming , i was screaming hey, somebody hey it was just so surreal. It was the put rooskie. Absolutely the most "famous" national play I have seen in person in my entire life.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 4, 2019, 9:24 PM [ in reply to Sit down young whipper snapper and let me tell you a story ]

The play before the puntrooskie is what really hurt. Their QB got rushed and hit as he was throwing the ball and it went right through our linebackers hands. That would have put us in instant field goal range. Oh well. Got home safe that night. Long drive down to the Low country swamps.

Re: My most vivid memories of Clemson football growing up

Jun 4, 2019, 1:13 PM

Sept. of 1966, 1st game that displayed Howard's Rock... Clemson down 35-17 entering the 4th Quarter...Skinny little Jimmy Addison brings us back for a 40-35 win...The place was loud enough,and then somebody at the Physical Plant let go with the Steam Whistle and you couldn't hear yourself think...It was like the Morlocks sounding the dinner bell in The Time Machine...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obvious Coot is obvious***

Jun 4, 2019, 1:18 PM

Snowflake Basher........Out

my first ever trip to the valley in in 1973 or74

Jun 4, 2019, 1:47 PM

red parker was hfc and i remeber there was no upperdeck yet and we were playing wake forest.

fell in love with clemson and the valley from that day forward i was a tiger.
plus it was time well spent with my dad. may he rest in piece.

go tigers!!!

The 1980s Georgia and Clemson games..

Jun 4, 2019, 4:11 PM

Best rivalry in the nation

Agreed...

Jun 4, 2019, 4:13 PM

Then UGA football fell off the map. :(

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: The 1980s Georgia and Clemson games..

Jun 4, 2019, 9:26 PM [ in reply to The 1980s Georgia and Clemson games.. ]

It started back in the seventies. Ask OOgly fans about the 1979 game. They will not appreciate it.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic