Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sirius question about bald peanuts for those out of area.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Sirius question about bald peanuts for those out of area.

Jun 1, 2018, 9:07 AM

Btw thanks to Mattcah for inspiration.

I live in Arkansas now. Can’t get my hands on good boiled peanuts. Occasionally my mom will make some and freeze them and bring them to us when she flies in which cracks me up. But out here you can’t get fresh out of the field peanuts. I know you want raw peanuts but in my understanding all the raw peanuts you can get here are old and probably would suck to boil. Any thoughts or suggestions?

I can occasionally find a cheerwine here now which is nice but the boiled peanuts thing has to happen.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Recruiting Tip for Dabo

Jun 1, 2018, 9:18 AM

I have had the opportunity to entertain several Polynesians in the Low Country, and every one has made me drive around to find boiled peanuts.

They love them!

Evidently they are like poi only saltier and a firmer consistency.

SERIOUS!!!!

Maybe we can lure some big D Linemen and the QB out of California with them.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Talk to Walter at your local bilo***

Jun 1, 2018, 9:55 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

therein lies a problem. No bilo, no food lion, no Harris teeter, no publix

Jun 1, 2018, 10:09 AM

No byrd’s, and no ingles

Message was edited by: lovingit®

These are local here, not sure if available in your area.

Jun 1, 2018, 10:15 AM

Dang good, even if canned.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

agreed

Jun 1, 2018, 10:26 AM

plus their an excellent source of salt. I try to get at least 50 grams a day into my diet for health reasons.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually they are. Unfortunately nowhere near as good but

Jun 1, 2018, 10:28 AM [ in reply to These are local here, not sure if available in your area. ]

Better than nothing. One gas station has them ery now and then.

I do not reccommend the cajun flavor though.

Jun 1, 2018, 10:36 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Yeah it prolly tastes like a cajun’s ####### I don’t like them either

Jun 1, 2018, 10:42 AM

The peanuts that is I’ve never tried a Cajuns ####### though I’m guessing some on here may have

I have always wondered why there are only two flavors.

Jun 1, 2018, 9:53 PM [ in reply to I do not reccommend the cajun flavor though. ]

If there were Pizza and Taco flavored, I would probably eat them more often.

Re: therein lies a problem. No bilo, no food lion, no Harris teeter, no publix

Jun 1, 2018, 11:08 AM [ in reply to therein lies a problem. No bilo, no food lion, no Harris teeter, no publix ]

Dare I ask about Piggly Wiggly? You are living in a 3rd world country :(

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There used to be piggly wiggly s here but no more that I’m aware of.

Jun 1, 2018, 11:30 AM

Kroger seems to have a
Monopoly. There is some other employee owned chain called harps. Kroger’s ok but taint know piggly wiggly or food lion

Re: Sirius question about bald peanuts for those out of area.

Jun 1, 2018, 10:23 AM

https://spicysouthernkitchen.com/crock-pot-spicy-boiled-peanuts/

^^^this deserves two thumbs up. Not sure I can get the

Jun 1, 2018, 10:33 AM

Best peanuts but I will try the dried raw ones and cook for longer. Thanks for the recipe!

Re: ^^^this deserves two thumbs up. Not sure I can get the

Jun 1, 2018, 11:02 AM

I used to live in the DC area. You could not find boiled peanuts for sale. No grocery stores carried the Peanut Patch canned ones and obviously green (freshly picked) peanuts were unheard of. You could find raw peanuts but they were dried. I discovered if you soak the raw peanuts overnight in a pot of water and then boiled the heck out of them (4 or more hours) they turned out very acceptable. The peanuts will float so put a plate on top of the pot to keep them under the water when soaking them. And don't forget to add salt. When you think it's enough add more. Enjoy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

Re: ^^^this

Jun 1, 2018, 8:56 PM

I've boiled dried raw peanuts like this and also gotten very good results. As stated, boil them longer. I start taste testing after 14-15 hours. Once they soften, I cut the crock off and let them stay in the water for an hour or two (or more if needed). They'll soak up some more of the salt and moisture. I also boil a lot and then put 'em up in quart freezer bags so that I can eat them for several weeks.

Message was edited by: curat®

Jun 1, 2018, 11:57 AM

Sounds like you need to invest in a roadside hot boiled peanut stand. You’d make MILLIONS and be the only guy around. Drive here once a month to stock up or have somebody ship you some big bags.

This should last you a season... Link:

Jun 1, 2018, 6:38 PM

https://www.hamptonfarms.com/valencia-peanuts-raw-25lb-bag/

Valencias are grown in New Mexico so you might find another source... They're the really tasty smaller reds... I use a crock pot for 3 quart bags plus my initial taste test (extended)... Weighting them to pre-soak is a must.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if You can’t get green peanuts, just get the raw dried ones

Jun 1, 2018, 7:05 PM

and cook them forever. Dried peanuts in a crockpot will take, in my experience, around 12-16 hours in a crockpot. (Raw only take 8-10 hours.) Still not as good as green but will do. Salt the water until it tastes like the ocean... I’m “required” to make them for all tailgates by the crew.

Jun 1, 2018, 7:30 PM

Call Dora at Gurganus Peanut Outlet in Capron, Va, she will send you all the fresh peas you want. It will be around Fall before her husband digs them. Tell her the Ratcliffe’s referred you.

They have to be freshly dug and green, and

Jun 1, 2018, 7:38 PM

You have to wash them 2 or 3 times to get the sand out of them. I get mine from SE Virginia area......Suffolk, Franklin, Courtland, Capron. They won't dig them until late summer, early fall.

Photobucket

Jun 1, 2018, 8:38 PM

I knew of a guy who moved back here from Ark. Said he moved because of 2 reasons: 1) they didn't have Dukes mayonaise, and 2) The judge told him " Don't you ever come back to Arkansas!!!

Jun 1, 2018, 8:48 PM

Most of the road side stands use dried Pnuts because they can get em year round. Greens are available May - October at best. But once you go green you won’t go back!

Pic below is from first crop about 2 weeks ago - $1.49 lb. I use a 10qt pressure cooker and do 5lbs at a time. Takes 55 minutes a batch with 1/4 to 1/3 cup of salt. By the time I parse out to adult children & neighbors I try to hold a least a pound for the wife & me! Freeze some for late season tailgating and to get through the winter. Hint on frozen, don’t microwave but unthaw in some lightly salted boiling water - big difference!

My maternal grandfather was a peanut buyer for Planters Peanuts back in 40’s - learned a lot from him.

That's nuts. I though Arky was the top growing state for

Jun 1, 2018, 9:43 PM

them. Maybe they all belong to JIF.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic