Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sirius Question about Notre Lame and ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Sirius Question about Notre Lame and ACC

Jul 27, 2016, 11:12 AM

With Notre Dame being contractually obligated to join the ACC in football if they decide to join a conference, how long before they join?

Think about it, they go 11-1 and get the snub from the playoff committee. Then they decide that they would rather get the ACC Network money and have a better shot at making the playoffs so they join. This would create a need for another school to join the ACC.

What school would you like to see the ACC go after?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCONN***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:16 AM

Re: UCONN***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:40 AM

never ucon.. maybe Penn State

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 12:16 PM

You seriously want Pedophile State University in the ACC? Really?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Jul 27, 2016, 12:53 PM

Hopefully, Cincinnati or UCF
I don't want to see a 9 game conference schedule.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 11:42 AM [ in reply to UCONN*** ]

This seems to make the most sense. Consolidate the NE market. Southerners may not want to hear it though. I would pick Penn State 1st, but they are not available.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 27, 2016, 11:45 AM [ in reply to UCONN*** ]

Horrible choice. We need another big-time football school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coastal Carolina***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:19 AM

Re: Sirius Question about Notre Lame and ACC

Jul 27, 2016, 11:19 AM

They are already set to get an equal share of the ACC network money. They get 20% of the rest of the media haul.

To answer your question, if they get left out only bc they didn't have an opportunity to place in a conference championship game, like TCU and Baylor in 2014, then I think they would consider it. They could still have 4 non conference games to play USC, a service academy and then rotate Stanford, Texas etc like we do SEC teams each year.

Another way to make it easier is if universities get greedy and decide to add a 13th regular season game. That would make scheduling easier for ND but the ACC would then probably want a 9 game conference slate, so maybe it wouldn't matter.

ND doesn't get an equal share

Jul 27, 2016, 11:28 AM

I think the last time I saw it, the 14 conference members got around 25 million and ND got around 7.

ND will receive an equal share of the new ACC Network

Jul 27, 2016, 11:33 AM

when it launches. That revenue is after and in addition to the primary media rights package where ND only gets a 20% share. Considering the network will be so heavy on sports where ND is a full member, plus the possibility of moving some ND @ ACC games over to the network to help build interest, I'm totally okay with that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Navy******

Jul 27, 2016, 11:23 AM

They will already get some ACC Network money.

Jul 27, 2016, 11:23 AM

I don't know if it's a full share or some part but they are promised some of the money. The probability that they get snubbed with a 11-1 record is high. Imo, it will take more than that for them to take a paycut and join the ACC as a full member. I doubt two snubs after back to back undefeated season will make them change their minds.

The NCAA as a collective will have to determine that there is more money in going to four instead of five conferences to force ND to join any league. The speculation is there but it's only a fan's dream at this time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We will know ND's status when their NBC contract is up

Jul 27, 2016, 11:24 AM

I don't think NBC can afford to pay 20+ million for basically 6 games. NBCs content is at serious risk if more than half of their marquee games are on the road. Its tough to pay that much for SC/Mich St/Stanford (pick 2 one year, 1 the next), Navy, UMass, Northwestern and WFU.

If NBC can't pony up equal money to the ACC contract, ND will come rushing to the conference.

Re: We will know ND's status when their NBC contract is up

Jul 27, 2016, 11:28 AM

ND is not joining and never joining any conference. Period. Their arrogance will never allow that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

14 football schools is enough.

Jul 27, 2016, 11:27 AM

Unlike most I don't see 16-team super-conferences at the Power 5 level coming to fruition anytime soon. There's too much regional diversity in college sports and it should stay that way.

The CFP will more likely expand to 8 teams when the next window approaches, prior to Notre Dame's NBC contract expiring.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First of all, it has already been stated that they will

Jul 27, 2016, 11:51 AM

get a full share of the ACC Network Money. AS for the conference deal with ESPN for regular television contract, they receive 1/20th of a full share.

Will they want to join if snubbed by the playoffs at 11-1. I'm not sure. They are on record as saying that wouldn't matter to them. We'll see.

I do think it is a possibility they may join after the 2025 season when their del with NBC expires. If NBC can't match what they would possibly earn with full ACC membership, they may join. But you need to understand one thing. As greedy as Notre Dame seems to be, sports television money is a drop in the bucket compared to the revenue they have coming in.

If, however, they do decide to join the ACC in full and we need a 16th school to even things out, I hope we go for one of the following. Here is my order of preference:

1. West Virginia: This is a no-brainer and should have been taken before. WVU has the type of fan base, both at home and on the road that leads to packed stadium at home and increased stadium attendance at road venues. They add a state to the footprint that makes the entire conference contiguous.

2. Navy: Yes, I choose Navy over Connecticut. Again, it brings back the state of Maryland and the D.C. market. It brings national appeal and attention. The academics are through the roof. The only sport they couldn't compete in would be basketball. Maybe they join for football only, and have their basketball team remain where they are now.

3. Connecticut: This is one of my favorite states in the union for personal reasons. I have them third choice because adding them alone would not make the conference contiguous (I know that is a very minor thing, especially when the gap in the ACC is so small). It would also be another school with little recruiting ground and would help basketball much more than football. As I mentioned, I love the state of Connecticut and I think they have a real possibility of a BigTEn invite if the BigTen has to go to 16.

Wyoming***

Jul 27, 2016, 12:15 PM

Penn State***

Jul 27, 2016, 3:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Boot WF***

Jul 27, 2016, 3:33 PM

Re: Boot WF***

Jul 27, 2016, 11:20 PM

No, Nope, Nyet, Nein. Wake had our back when it mattered. For that I say we have theirs always. Also, for those that dog Wake as a football program, here are Teams with longer ACC Title droughts than Wake:
Duke
Virginia
North Carolina
NC St
LOUISVILLE
MIAMI
Boston College
Pitt. (Given however, the last few teams have only been in the ACC a few years)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Citadel. Assures another ACC win against the SEC coots.

Jul 27, 2016, 4:42 PM

xx

Re: Sirius Question about Notre Lame and ACC

Jul 27, 2016, 11:30 PM

West Virginia, duh! I think we've had this same conversation a number of times now and that seems to be the consensus pick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

South Carolina

Jul 28, 2016, 8:43 AM

Kentucky or WVU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd like to shrink the ACC back to 9 teams

Jul 28, 2016, 11:35 AM

I hope it'll happen eventually after this mega-conference craze runs its course and everyone realizes that multi-division conferences don't work.

My new ACC would be:

Clemson
FSU
GT
UNC
NCSU
Wake
Duke
UVa
Miami

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

West Virginia would be a nice addition.***

Jul 28, 2016, 12:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cincinnati.

Jul 28, 2016, 12:06 PM

Plays football and basketball well. Gives the ACC Ohio TV viewing.

UConn was rebuffed when Syracuse and Pitt joined. BC will not allow another New England school. UConn has had many NCAA problems in basketball and can't play football. The ACC does not need another basketball only school. UConn adds nothing from a TV perspective.

Second choice is Penn St.

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic