Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 100
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?

Mar 21, 2013, 1:37 PM

TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?

In this week's episode of the show Lawton discusses the tradition he would get rid of if he were forced to make a change to Clemson sports. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The woohoo is an obvious answer, but it is hardly a

Mar 21, 2013, 1:40 PM

tradition. It is akin to the traditions used at the University of South Carolina, in that it has no root in the history of our proud football program.

However, one day it will be part of our Tiger Rag tradition as it is taught in orientation. Unfortunately, this means 30 years from now fathers will be taking their sons to Clemson games to teach them the traditions as they know it, which will include the woohoo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Agreed...It pained me to list that as tradition...***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:43 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The woohoo is an obvious answer, but it is hardly a

Mar 21, 2013, 3:12 PM [ in reply to The woohoo is an obvious answer, but it is hardly a ]

the woohoo is bad but OK, the way the cadence count cheer iS BUTCHERED is by far the worst..it is WAY TOO FAST and the words are wrong!!do it right or not @ all!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cadence Count

Mar 22, 2013, 8:48 AM

I agree, it is done wrong. It is a cadence count, do it right: only two fights at the end!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Elevate it to a tradition.

Mar 21, 2013, 4:49 PM [ in reply to The woohoo is an obvious answer, but it is hardly a ]

Toss it in the dumpster.

That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Mar 21, 2013, 1:40 PM

The Clemson football team should enter the stadium on a more level surface, to avoid injury risk.

And I've made known before my wish that the colors...

Mar 21, 2013, 1:42 PM

Would be changed to something like red, white, and blue. Clemson and its people love America.

Re: And I've made known before my wish that the colors...lol***

Mar 21, 2013, 8:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please go away***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:19 AM [ in reply to And I've made known before my wish that the colors... ]

I appreciate your witty response, and it is especially

Mar 21, 2013, 1:42 PM [ in reply to That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen. ]

important to examine the perspectives of outsiders. Although I know your post was made in jest, our entrance should not be altered. It is part of Death Valley lore.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

So, just because I'm not a fan of the hill, I'm an outsider?***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:44 PM

No, and please do not mistake my use of the term

Mar 21, 2013, 1:45 PM

outsider as being pejorative, I was only implying you are a fan of an academic institution other than Clemson University.

Well, you may have a point there.

Mar 21, 2013, 1:46 PM

I hadn't thought about that as a factor.

Re: So, just because I'm not a fan of the hill, I'm an outsider?***

Mar 22, 2013, 6:29 AM [ in reply to So, just because I'm not a fan of the hill, I'm an outsider?*** ]

making a comment like "don't run down the hill" sure makes you look like "an outsider" or even a chicken

Oh my god he's serious.***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:46 AM [ in reply to So, just because I'm not a fan of the hill, I'm an outsider?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

We could always borrow a fire extinguisher from a local HS***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:45 PM [ in reply to I appreciate your witty response, and it is especially ]

nah, usuc already does that. and they borrowed the song

Jul 7, 2013, 7:22 AM

from a movie, and they borrowed their hc from florida, and they borrowed willy b from the columbia rec. league ! please feel free to add on if i left anything out.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Negative Ghost-Rider***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:38 PM [ in reply to That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

^^^Wishes USuCk had a hill

Mar 21, 2013, 8:01 PM [ in reply to That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen. ]

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They've got some warehouses.***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:47 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen.

Mar 22, 2013, 6:27 AM [ in reply to That whole "hill" thing is a disaster waiting to happen. ]

you must be out of your mind.

do without a Clemson Tradition?

Surely you can't be serious

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am serious, and don't call me surely.***

That's not even a real name.***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:45 PM

Come on Franc even you would cut something if you

Mar 21, 2013, 2:36 PM [ in reply to do without a Clemson Tradition? ]

had too. Which one would it be?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He will cut nuts when BV says it's time...***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:38 PM

LOL- I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything.***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:42 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The woohoo.***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:48 AM [ in reply to Come on Franc even you would cut something if you ]

Our newest one of losing to the friggin' Gamecocks.***

Mar 21, 2013, 1:50 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Idk if it's considered a tradition yet, but Tigerwalk

Mar 21, 2013, 1:57 PM

I find it boring and overrated for the most part. Plus we park right by where they walk by in lot 5 and it gets crowded

Re: Idk if it's considered a tradition yet, but Tigerwalk

Mar 26, 2013, 8:19 PM

Who's the person in your GIF??

Your sister.***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:21 AM

The pre-game goat humping.

Mar 21, 2013, 2:01 PM

Not sure how that got started or why I still do it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Good thing I was not drinking anything when I read that.***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

being your title states you are from 4 holes swamp

Jul 7, 2013, 7:29 AM [ in reply to The pre-game goat humping. ]

my guess is you needed something to hump, and it was either the goat or a gator, since they ain't got no wimminz in 4-holes!. amiright?

Having a bad basketball program....

Mar 21, 2013, 2:03 PM

I could sure live without having a bad basketball program year-in and year-out except for once in a blue moon.

This isn't a tradition we want but it's become one. This needs to change.

Running Out On The Field After A Game(Only with an SEC MOVE)

Mar 21, 2013, 2:40 PM

The SEC doesn't allow this I believe and I could live without that if we had an SEC Move

I would add Playing The Coots last Game....

Mar 21, 2013, 2:42 PM

The way football has changed, I think a League game should be the last game....Clemson, FSU and GT all have rivalries in the SEC and I could live with playing them earlier in the season.....

The SEC would also ban the half-time passes out, SEC

Mar 21, 2013, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Running Out On The Field After A Game(Only with an SEC MOVE) ]

schools also require tickets for kids under 2 and they would eliminate crowd music on 3rd downs. I hate the ACC, but these are 4 good reasons to stay in the ACC.

Re: The SEC would also ban the half-time passes out, SEC

Jul 7, 2013, 11:24 AM

They also limit how many band members can march, how loud the band can play, how long the band can play songs in the stands, where the band can walk walk on and off the field, where the cheerleaders can be and what they can do, etc...

A lot of these violations result in your team losing a time out. Seriously.

Losing to UNC in basketball in Chapel Hill***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the whole losing a game that we should win thingy***

Mar 21, 2013, 2:44 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

When that's a "tradition" it's time to fold things up. Can

Mar 21, 2013, 3:06 PM

we just call it an old trend? I hope those days are gone.

I think our Pre-Game is terrible until "the Hill".

Mar 21, 2013, 3:38 PM

The main reason is likely due to our band being so small combined with lack of chants by the crowd.

After singing of the Alma Mater, there should be some chant or something instead of the band playing Eye of the Tiger and nobody can even hear them. Maybe immediately begin chanting "CLEMSON TIGERS" and then Live video of the busses.

AI'm a big fan of just showing Live video of the busses instead of the cheesy video they play.

Anyway, just feel like we have a ho hum Pregame until the "hill".

Does the band still play, "John Phillip Sousa's- The

Mar 21, 2013, 3:41 PM

Washington Post"? I have't paid much attention in recent years, but they seemed to play it all the time in college.

negative...Stopped around 12 or so years ago probably.***

Mar 21, 2013, 3:45 PM

I didn't miss it as you can tell.***

Mar 21, 2013, 4:15 PM

What is the song the band plays before "TigerRag" in

Mar 21, 2013, 7:16 PM [ in reply to negative...Stopped around 12 or so years ago probably.*** ]

pregame?

I think the song you are asking about is The Orange Bowl

Mar 21, 2013, 7:38 PM

March.

Soc it to 'Em/Orange Bowl March***

Jul 7, 2013, 11:50 AM [ in reply to What is the song the band plays before "TigerRag" in ]

No Washington Post since Dr. Speede came

Jul 7, 2013, 9:53 AM [ in reply to Does the band still play, "John Phillip Sousa's- The ]

Thank goodness, it's gone!

Loud Rap Music should go!I

Mar 21, 2013, 3:57 PM [ in reply to I think our Pre-Game is terrible until "the Hill". ]

I am a big fan of college football and most importantly my alma mater. During the last 8 years the introduction of loud rap mmusic over the PA system ,many times in competition with our students in the band, should be eliminated. I do not feel it contributes to the atmoshpere and it is more in keeping with a pro football setting. I spoke to President B a few years ago and he said he was not aware it was being played during the games. I guess in his box he cannot hear the music.

So does that mean Hell's Bells or We Will Rock You is ok?***

Mar 21, 2013, 4:09 PM

Yes.***

Mar 21, 2013, 6:26 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

thats not Clemson music either***

Mar 21, 2013, 7:38 PM

true. but, rap is not music.

Jul 7, 2013, 7:35 AM

just talking.

Be glad you weren't at the baseball game

Mar 21, 2013, 6:27 PM [ in reply to Loud Rap Music should go!I ]

Friday night during the last innings. It was a cross between dubstep and rap. Everyone in the stadium clapped when they turned it off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

The Hill has been lacking recently, too...

Mar 21, 2013, 4:31 PM [ in reply to I think our Pre-Game is terrible until "the Hill". ]

When Bowden was coach, he let his players be halfway down the hill pumping up the crowd before the cannon shot off. Nowadays Dabo stands in front of the players and they are too busy linking arms to get the crowd fired up.

I had friends from VT who came down for the game last year and they said they were expecting better.

VT folks need to expect better at Lane Stadium

Jul 7, 2013, 9:55 AM

since they have the MOST overrated entrance in college football!!!!!!!!

Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?

Mar 21, 2013, 3:51 PM

I cant believe that this kind of question is even being entertained. Our traditions are without a doubt the BEST in College football.

1. The Rock
2. The Hill
3. Tiger Rag - "The Song that SHAKES the Southland
4. C.L.E.M.S.O........N!!

South Carolina has.......well, cheesy piped in music
Jawja.....has an ugly mutt that looks like death roaming the sideline
FSU.....the lame warchant
Georgia Tech.....whut????

ALL IN......because NOTHING ELSE even comes close!!

GO TIGERS!!!!!

ALLIN4CU I agree. Our traditions are wonderful, but what

Mar 21, 2013, 4:19 PM

is that one thing you could do without? That's all I am asking. Surely there is something you would be fine if Clemson dropped.

What would that be?

The Row team, they get in my way to my fishing hole***

Mar 21, 2013, 4:25 PM

Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?

Mar 26, 2013, 2:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without? ]

Amen

Mar 21, 2013, 3:57 PM

Football - Tigerama
Basketball - Non-existant Free-Throw Shooting
Baseball - "The Final Countdown" at 9th inning and/or Fatz Hat Shuffle

Half-time passes***

Mar 21, 2013, 4:11 PM

^^Best Answer^^ Kills our 3rd quarter momentum.***

Mar 21, 2013, 4:24 PM

Mar 21, 2013, 4:26 PM

The Hill may be one of the most storied traditions, but it is hardly as exciting as it used to be...

When Bowden was coaching, those players were halfway down the hill getting the fans fired up before the cannon even shot off. Nowadays, Dabo stands in front of the players and they are too busy linking arms to feed off the crowd. It has certainly become a little anticlimactic in recent years and is something they need to work on.

I couldn't live without The Hill, but it NEEDS to be returned to what is used to be.

I'm sorry..did you say you like the Bowden hill 'tradition'?

Mar 21, 2013, 5:07 PM

Running down the hill existed looooong before Bowden, and those fools didn't start halfway down he hill before the cannon. Keep them at the top of the hill.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Tiger doing push-ups

Mar 21, 2013, 4:29 PM

About half of the schools in the country do it, so there's nothing really "Clemson" about it. What's more frustrating is that after the second or third TD his form goes to complete snot (at least the last few years) and we look like pansies on national TV.

Didn't even think about that one. I would hate to lose it,

Mar 21, 2013, 4:37 PM

but what could be done to make it better? I really like President Barker doing it. One guest a while back suggested having a former player/Clemson great do it in the suit and take the head off to reveal themselves. That would add some energy to it especially if it weren't known when the special guest was going to do the push ups.

That's a neat idea, I thought Barker in the suit last year

Mar 21, 2013, 4:44 PM

was pretty awesome. Maybe if it was a guest they would spend a couple weeks doing push ups to prepare and we wouldn't end up with floppy shoulder shrugs in the 3rd/4th quarter.

The 1-2-3-4 at super fast speed

Mar 21, 2013, 5:04 PM

Slow it down and say it proper. We should also have more cheers besides the 1-2-3-4 chant. Sounds like a runaway train half the time.

More Orange/White and Clemson/Tigers split cheers would sound cleaner and better.

Other non-traditions that we should fix:
- ban the woo-hoo
- get back in seats by 2nd half kickoff
- better/louder band. And fix the mic/speaker location in the band as hearing the piccolo section during tiger rag does nothing for me

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

other non-traditions: the music selection***

Mar 21, 2013, 5:06 PM

Re: The 1-2-3-4 at super fast speed

Jul 7, 2013, 10:27 AM [ in reply to The 1-2-3-4 at super fast speed ]

All are good.

I'd bring back a few more old cheers, too.

Any suggestions from some other "Old Timers"???

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

The half-sized Rock

Mar 21, 2013, 5:10 PM

Find the other half and beat the snot out of the perpetrators that split it.

The drum/trash can beat the week before USCe game also does nothing for me.

It's not half sized. I think they reattached part that was

Mar 21, 2013, 7:01 PM

chipped off. But I agree, I never heard what happened to those guys, but they should have gotten charges as bad as that nut who poisoned AU's oaks.

Our admins should go to Death Valley, CA and look for a secret replacement if they screw up on stadium security again.

The traveling band during the 3rd quarter. Never liked it.***

Mar 21, 2013, 6:24 PM

Mar 21, 2013, 7:03 PM

The bands prelude to Tiger Rag. They should just start right in with Tiger Rag and drop the intro tune leading up to Tiger Rag.

Woo Hoo and Tiger Walk

Mar 21, 2013, 7:33 PM

nm

Singing the Alma Mater after the games. It is ok when we

Mar 21, 2013, 10:14 PM

have a big win, but when you have a loss, fans are leaving and honestly, players want to get off the field, court,etc. It is disrespectful to the school in my opinion and since we sing it BEFORE events I have never understood why you would want to sing it after.

Mar 21, 2013, 10:53 PM

I'm sorry, but I need to say it, the old Woo Hoo needs to go and fast. That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. Please see what you can do.

Welcome aboard!***

Mar 22, 2013, 7:31 AM

The Woohoo... 100%...

Mar 21, 2013, 11:14 PM

and why are they allowing them to continue to teach it. It is not a real tradition and needs to go!

You need at least one vote! Welcome!***

Mar 22, 2013, 7:30 AM

Piped in Hill Messages

Mar 22, 2013, 7:29 AM

I remember the crowd trying to steal a peak to see when the buses would be coming and then the entire place going bananas when they were first spotted or when the players were first spotted at the top of the hill.

The whole PA announcer and video kill the entire moment and ruin all anticipation and build up

^THIS

Mar 22, 2013, 8:06 AM

I had totally forgotten. It's been so long, but I just had a flashback and I think this is an awesome idea. 110% agree.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO, WOOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!***

Mar 22, 2013, 8:29 AM

$5 bottles of water.***

Mar 22, 2013, 8:34 AM

I can name three

Mar 22, 2013, 9:44 PM

1. Losing to South Carolina every year. Seems I rememeber in my youth it being the other way around and life was much easier.

2. That darn C-L-E-M-S-O-N....T-I-G-E-R-S...fight tigers fight tigers fight fight fight! Hello! The 1950's are calling. They want there cheer back.

3. Those facets in the restrooms that makes you wash your hand with only one hand while the other holds down the faucet...I'm sorry I need both hands free for an effecient hand washing.

LOVE it all..WOO HOO GOTTA GO

Mar 26, 2013, 2:29 PM

Sorry, I love Orange AND Purple, love the Hill, love the traveling band, love the Tiger,pushups,the Paw and whatever anyone else said they didn't like...but that WOO HOO is 110% Embrrassing and I want it outlawed. If YOU do it..you sound like a hick.

The Band.....its terrible.....always has been.***

Mar 26, 2013, 3:57 PM

Re: The Band.....its terrible.....always has been.***

Jul 7, 2013, 2:25 AM

You're right, it seems like you've really thought this through. The band should go. Who needs orange bowl march, or a fight song, or a halftime show? Better yet, why don't we start a new tradition and have the football team come out to some more modern music... Sandstorm, perhaps?....

Boob.

Corporate Sponsors

Mar 26, 2013, 8:43 PM

They buy all the good seats and never come. They buy all the good boxes and 1/4 fill them. They get all the good parking spots just to "spread out." And the freaking clemsontigers.com has been looking like the dadgum jockey lot with all the ads taking over.

But i know we need money so that's a lost cause...and we're not the only school.

the hill

Mar 26, 2013, 9:33 PM

The hill is what i love death valley for it is the most exciting 25 seconds in ncaa football history so i say anyone who wants the clemson tigers to stop running down the hill is not a true clemson tiger fan

Re: The Band.....its terrible.....always has been.***

Mar 26, 2013, 9:51 PM

The band that rocks the southland is not terrible

Yes it is. Hill good, Band bad.***

Mar 27, 2013, 9:33 AM

: Front Page Story: TigerNet Talk: Which Clemson Tradition Could You Live Without?

Jul 7, 2013, 7:25 AM

I would change the now tradition of the students behind the basket in bb to back along the sidelines like duke or at least behind the team benches. There was a lot of excitement and a rush for the seats (stands back then) to yell at dean and lefty. There was a lot more crowd nose back then too

Purple Out***

Jul 7, 2013, 8:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The woohoo is a bad habit trying to masquerade as tradition

Jul 7, 2013, 8:55 AM

Must go!!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jul 7, 2013, 12:43 PM

The tradition I could live without is losing to SC every year.

Replies: 100
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic