Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Simple question - Is it okay to cheat in sports?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Simple question - Is it okay to cheat in sports?

Jan 18, 2013, 12:00 PM

It's certainly nothing new, but some recent headline stories make it relevant.

Is it okay to knowing cheat and knowingly break the rules in sports?    [Results]

No - honesty, honor, and integrity are more important than winning.
Sure - winning is what it's all about, no matter what it takes. Look for every advantage, rules be damned.
Yes - if your competition is doing it and you have to in order to be competitive.
2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Most all of us, including me, will say no.

Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 PM

But those athletes have a lot more at stake than we do, sitting around on message boards. Would we all say OK if we had millions of dollars and our careers on the line? Something to think about.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, does the standard change with the situation?

Jan 18, 2013, 12:08 PM

Of course different people with different backgrounds and situations in life would answer differently. But the question is - is it wrong? Or, are you saying it may be okay if you stand to gain a lot of money?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

No, I'm not saying it'd be OK...

Jan 18, 2013, 12:10 PM

I do not think it's OK. I'm just saying...sometimes I have a hard time really coming down on these athletes, because I don't know if I wouldn't do the same.

Just making sure!***

Jan 18, 2013, 12:12 PM

- H. L. Mencken

On in NASCAR

Jan 18, 2013, 12:09 PM

where if you aint caught it aint cheating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I voted "sure."

Jan 18, 2013, 12:16 PM

You mentioned rules. I think there is a difference between rules and law. If arbitrary rules are being broken (giving a recruit a hundred bucks), then sure, "cheat" away. I couldn't care less.

If a rule is the law, however, then cheating shouldn't be tolerated. I personally don't care what someone pumps into their veins, but I do believe that citizens should respect the laws that govern them, even if they seem arbitrary.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i concur***

Jan 18, 2013, 12:18 PM

When do rules become laws?

Jan 18, 2013, 12:21 PM [ in reply to I voted "sure." ]

When police are involved?

Just curious, not trying to be a d!ck.

Clemson

Don't look too much into it.

Jan 18, 2013, 12:26 PM

If you do something contrary to law, you broke the law. No rule stating such needs to exist.

It's not like the NFL has a rule that can void Federal or state law.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The kinds of rules I'm talking about . . .

Jan 18, 2013, 12:26 PM [ in reply to I voted "sure." ]

Not using performance enhancing substances or methods that are specifically against the rules of the sport, such as Lance Armstrong blood-doping, baseball players on steroids, etc. . .

College athletes being paid or parents offered jobs, cars, homes, money, etc.

College athletes getting credit for classes they don't attend (UNC).

- H. L. Mencken

In those cases you mentioned

Jan 18, 2013, 12:30 PM

Sure, cheat away.

Despite what college football fans will say in the moment, it's not immoral for college football player to take money from a booster to buy clothes, get presents for his family, or go clubbing any more so than it is for you or me to take that money and do the same things.

I disagree, I would say go pro if you want that stuff.

Jan 18, 2013, 1:21 PM

The NFL really needs to develop a minor league program. It won't impact my enthusiasm for Clemson football at all. Will it financially impact college football, sure, but I don't care. I cheer for Clemson regardless.

I disagree completely

Jan 18, 2013, 2:30 PM [ in reply to I voted "sure." ]

I'm more apt to say I don't do something because it's wrong. I don't give a #### what the law says in most cases. I don't kill an innocent person because it's wrong. Not because its against the law for example. It's still agains the law to have oral sex in some states, but I don't think a lot of people let it slow them down. Not because they want to break the law. It's because there's nothing wrong with it in their mind. Just saying.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

What is a law but a rule enforced by an organization?

Jan 18, 2013, 6:09 PM [ in reply to I voted "sure." ]

In this case the organization is the government. Morally speaking, there is no difference between a rule and a law. Some laws are equally arbitrary.

I figured someone would respond with that.

Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 PM

Philosophically, you're right. There's no difference between a law by a government and a rule by an organization. However, college sports do not exist to cater to the moral. Laws do.

If you want to go all Nietzsche with it, then ultimately we should all be a bunch of self-governing anarchists. Many feel that smoking pot is arbitrary, so why have a law against it? Well, a lot of people think punishing murderers is arbitrary as well.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole you just went down, you have to question every law and every rule everywhere under any circumstances. But the fact of the matter is you have to draw a line somewhere. And ultimately, getting hundred-dollar handshakes and having unofficial visits paid for is not "immoral." Unethical perhaps, but ethics and morals are two widely different items.

"you have to draw the line somewhere" does not

Jan 21, 2013, 10:45 AM

explain or justify the distinction you tried to make between laws and college football rules.

Laws are no more based on morals than NCAA regulations. The entire concept of regulations or rules or laws is based on the concept of morality. A "right" or fair way to do things is equally behind both laws and college football rules and governmental laws.

People had a goal in mind when they set up these NCAA rules. The goal was protecting certain aspects of college football that would easily be corrupted or destroyed if the amoral open market took over. Economic laws are based on the same concept. Certain values must be protected with rules/laws.

And care to share why certain things are unethical instead of immoral? One could easily make the reasonable argument that doing something unethical is immoral as well... depending on what values that person has.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What about arbitrary laws?***

Jan 18, 2013, 6:11 PM [ in reply to I voted "sure." ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about arbitrary laws?***

Jan 18, 2013, 10:36 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=13500538

It's not cheating if you don't get caught...;)***

Jan 18, 2013, 12:24 PM

Re: Simple question - Is it okay to cheat in sports?

Jan 18, 2013, 12:32 PM

Everyone cheats....if you read the NCAA rules you would be shock at the simple things that may constitute an NCAA violation. Most are done unknowingly by the very fans that would never think of doing such things. The rules are ambiguous so it is silly to try to hold a university to most of them. They look for the big stuff anyway.

I agree - and that's not what I'm talking about, and why

Jan 18, 2013, 12:35 PM

I worded the question the way I did - "knowingly".

- H. L. Mencken

Re: I agree - and that's not what I'm talking about, and why

Jan 18, 2013, 1:18 PM

It is a question of morality and integrity. It seems it now means different things to different people.

When a cheater wins, he's the BEST CHEATER. So ...

Jan 18, 2013, 12:38 PM

what is the point?

It's no longer about the best athlete or best team.

Why would I care about who is the best at using PED's or bribing officials or stealing plays or other illegal tactics?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When steriods etc are involved why bother playing the game.

Jan 18, 2013, 1:27 PM

Why not just watch a simulation of a game on NCAA football on the PS3. It is really no different. I want to see great athletes make great plays not genetically engineered machines.

If it is all about making plays and winning - just suit up a bunch of robots. Heck, robots are bigger, faster, stroger and don't have long lasting brain injuries to worry about.

Jan 18, 2013, 12:42 PM

Cheating in sports or cheating in business is cowardly.

Jan 18, 2013, 12:46 PM

No. Cheating is wrong. However you're naive if you take sports figures as role models or personal heroes in areas outside their area of expertise. They're just like you and me, and subject to temptation same as you and me.

With the Lance Armstrong case, it's pretty clear to me that everyone was cheating. That doesn't make it a good thing. But I can see where he'd feel the need to do it just to keep up with everyone else. He said it pretty clearly himself; he didn't view it as cheating. He viewed it as leveling the playing field.

In the current context, all the people singing the praises of Lance Armstrong as some kind of saint are now bashing him as if he were Satan. Drugs or no, he paid his dues training and competing. Yeah he got caught up in shady stuff to win. Its not right, but neither does it change the decades of training 20000 miles a year and the amazing physical performances.

Spend a few years and 100,000 miles suffering in the saddle before you call him the anti-Christ.

It can't be called cheating if she doesn't really exist!

Jan 18, 2013, 1:03 PM

[Snicker!]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2013, 1:18 PM

No,you should never cheat.
"BUT",if you can place a well timed "legal" hit on a player,say a Tom Brady and knock him into next Sunday and not incure a 15 yard penalty,a one game suspension,and a $25,000 fine for even thinking about hitting the NFL Posterboy then I say go at it.
I guess this is a clue to what I am hoping Ray Lewis does Sunday evening.

Jan 18, 2013, 2:39 PM

But remember, these results I'm assuming are a bit biased and are not a good reflection of what the general population believes.
The majority on this forum tend to be law abiding God fearing Americans who love to talk about baptism, christian beliefs, and Perry Noble...with a side of "good man" talk. Post this question on cocky talk forum and see what the results are. I'm sure it would be quite different!

Folks need to apply it to what they do in life...

Jan 18, 2013, 2:52 PM

if they make a pill (which is illegal) that makes you better at your job and everyone else in your line of work does it, will you do it to keep up? What if you don't keep up, you lose your job?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2013, 5:58 PM

Just ask Spurrior....I am sure he could tell you!! 8-)

I like the adage: "What goes around, comes around." And

Jan 18, 2013, 7:07 PM

sooner or later, most who live outside the rule of law are forced to face the law, the reason being that eventually someone will be unwilling to condone the failure...and talk. Look at all the schools, including Clemson, who have faced the NCAA, and you will find that someone...or more.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's expected in rasslin'***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:20 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some coot voted 10 times!***

Jan 21, 2013, 11:28 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If everyone is it is simple. You have to cheat too or pick

Jan 21, 2013, 1:04 PM

another sport.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic