Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sigh...Joe, this isn't what the word "mandate" means
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Sigh...Joe, this isn't what the word "mandate" means

Nov 7, 2020, 6:57 AM

...and before it's even confirmed he's taken office, here's Joe Biden with the old Washington politician-speech that reminds all of us exactly why we got so tired of Washington insiders to begin with and turned to a wingnut like Trump out of sheer frustration.

No, Joe, you did not receive a "mandate to act". In fact quite the opposite...you (seemingly!) got elected, sure...but out of the other side of the ballot the American people literally took away even the possibility of you "acting" by taking away the Senate. Despite seemingly turning Georgia blue for you, the voters elected neither Ossoff nor Warnock for the double Senate race - both are headed for what's likely to be the Mother of All Runoffs in January. And, oh, yeah, they also voted for you in Maine...while holding onto Susan Collins over Democrat Sarah Gideon by more than six points.

That is specifically the opposite of a "mandate to act". That is the American people telling you very clearly to do absolutely nothing whatsoever. Basically: you are a placeholder. That is all.

Mind, the voters may still change their minds. We'll see in January when SenateFest '21 descends on the ATL and lobbyists set records dumping money on one market (if there's stock available in ATL-area media-market holding companies, buy now, because they're about to make an absolute killing), but for right this second you have specifically been told to Hold Your Horses, Mister.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/06/politics/biden-transition-preparations/index.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh, Trump called it a landslide when he had less votes

Nov 7, 2020, 7:18 AM

and the same EC margin that Biden is likely to end up with.

Bush Jr called it a mandate when he got >50% of the vote. Biden’s just intending to spend all that “political capital” he “earned”

For those cheering a GOP senate and Dem house/executive, do you really look at the last 4.5 years coming away with the conclusion that the US electorate wants gridlock and inaction?

Biden wasn’t anyone on here’s first choice. That said, 80 million people voted for him.

Re: Meh, Trump called it a landslide when he had less votes

Nov 7, 2020, 7:28 AM

Like I said, we'll see in January. Georgia's double Senate runoff will decide this and while I think it's going to be razor-close and you never bet against the GOP ability to squeeze out votes in critical spots - sorry, the GOP is just plain better at knife-fights than the Dems are, it helped a lot that some of the GOP's best knife-fighters were actually freelancing it for Biden with the Lincoln Project this time around - but right now there is no "mandate."

I do think the scene in Atlanta is going to get apesh!t crazy. If they can keep the young people Woke and get them all excited and turn them out, I think the GOP loses both seats, but if the Millennials fall asleep again and say "job done" the Pubs will keep the Senate. Because the GOP's ground game is really good. The Pubs are basically Alabama in that regard.

From a fence-sitter's perspective, it's going to be a fascinating social experiment.

Win that, and I'll concede Biden's been given an actual mandate. But the Dems have not yet passed that test.

I want gridlock. This was the scenario I hoped for.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:06 AM [ in reply to Meh, Trump called it a landslide when he had less votes ]

I wanted Trump gone first and foremost. But I’m not a Biden fan, and do not like how the Democratic Party has been trending the last few years. So I was hoping for a GOP senate, I knew the house wouldn’t flip. And I will happily take gridlock into 2024 and hope we get some better candidates. Will probably vote Republican in 2024 if Kamala runs or the Dems don’t move their platform back towards to the center.

Re: Sigh...Joe, this isn't what the word "mandate" means

Nov 7, 2020, 8:41 AM

Agreed on the mandate thing. However, disagree on the assessment of the runoffs. Past history indicates that the dems will lose by double digits. The rural pubs will show up, not convinced the lib anti-Trumpers will. Like you said, job done. The pubs that voted against Trump and for gridlock will also show up. I think Warnock has a chance if the 30+% black vote shows up with the same numbers. Will they??? Just my opinion based on past history.

Nov 7, 2020, 8:47 AM

I agree. My money's on the GOP.

We'll see. One thing about the Dems, they can push numbers but getting them excited enough to show up has always been the problem. The thing that makes it possible, IMHO, is that we're talking one very Woke city, Atlanta, they're likely to be fresh off what's been their first presidential victory in forever, and the center of the hip-hop world is the ATL right now and they're very much awake and politically involved. Throw in the fact that Mayor Pete is likely to be parachuting in any moment now along with likely a few billion dollars in donor dollars for the Cause, and we could see something real interesting happen down there.

Or, as you mentioned, we could see fizzle, and the GOP and their ground game will relentlessly steamroll the Dem's Senate aspirations like we're used to seeing. We know they'll show.

Nov 7, 2020, 8:56 AM

Kinda agree on the money thing. The biggest disappointment is that I have to watch Ossoff, Purdue and the blonde chicks (stupid) ads for two more months. Kinda like Warnock's ads tho. Even tho I'm a Lincoln Project pub, he seems to be the kinda fellow that could only help Washington.

Georgia has become a different animal recently...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Sigh...Joe, this isn't what the word "mandate" means ]

The DNC is very good at getting out the vote.

While the state is certainly shifting demographically, Georgia is nowhere as blue as this election might suggest.

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/11/05/stacey-abrams-gets-credit-close-race-trump-biden-georgia/6171489002/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4.1 Million more votes than the next guy.***

Nov 7, 2020, 8:50 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 4.1 Million more votes than the next guy.***

Nov 7, 2020, 8:58 AM

And likely to be five million by the time it's over.

The problem is the Pubs are outworking the Dems on the ground in key states, and motivation and showing up consistently has always been the Democratic bugaboo. The Pubs have gamed the system and gamed it some more...and the Democrats have failed to stop them because they don't consistently show enough for the ground-level elections that set the ground rules in terms of redistricting and down-ballot elections and special elections like the one we're about to see in the ATL...and then they wonder why they're always behind the 8-ball.

Because the GOP shows up and puts in the vote at the actual ballot box more consistently, that's why. Until the Dems match them in more than short bursts the Pubs are going to continue to own the game.

Just as another example, the GOP said Eff COVID and continued with the ground game, and continued to register new voters...who then showed up in droves. The Dems didn't. It definitely saved the Senate for Team Red unless the Dems do what they aren't good at doing and show up in January in the ATL.

To quote Will McEvoy from The Newsroom: "if Democrats are so godd#mned smart, why do Democrats lose so godd#amned always?"

Re: 4.1 Million more votes than the next guy.***

Nov 7, 2020, 9:14 AM

The Dems probably would have done a touch better if there would have never been rioting, looting, and such lengthy protesting.

absolutely...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:18 AM

and would have been a complete blowout for the democrats if 500,000 people had died from COVID and the economy sucked all 4 years.

Pick and choose. Pick and choose.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're arguing two different things here.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: 4.1 Million more votes than the next guy.*** ]

Does Joe Biden have a mandate? Yes, the majority of people voted for him and his platform. Could you argue that he ran on not being a bufoon and no signature piece of legislation? I guess, but that is largely because of how you have to campaign against Trump. Could you argue that because of gerrymandering and the urban/rural divide, Republicans can ignore the majority of Americans? Absolutely.

again 50.6% majority***

Nov 7, 2020, 10:05 AM

What's the magic number?

Nov 7, 2020, 10:29 AM

And please keep in mind that we have had one popularly elected republican president in the last 30 years. Is that why Donnie never built that wall or locked her up?

no doubt...

Nov 7, 2020, 10:37 AM

I just want to clarify what you are claiming:

Paraphrasing - "It is to the Republicans own detriment to ignore the majority (50.6%) of Americans."

Correct, they shouldn't ignore the majority, but 50.6% is hardly a mandate.

It is no surprise that Americans are continuing to move left based on what we are told, but that is another wild thread. I imagine a Republican getting the popular vote will be a rarity going forward.

this is using statistics to say what you want...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:11 AM [ in reply to 4.1 Million more votes than the next guy.*** ]

yes, over 4 million more - but that is 50.6% of the vote.

Re: this is using statistics to say what you want...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:20 AM

It's actually an almost 3-percent edge. We're at - what (googles real quick) - 145,000,000 votes right now.

The Dems are up 4.3 million. That's 2.97% by my math.

That means they're spotting the GOP three points from a standing start. The GOP won large by the electoral college in 2016 and still lost the popular vote by three million.

correct...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:36 AM

that is the difference between Biden and Trump.

But counting all votes, including the also-rans, Biden has just over 50% of the vote. In context of the vote difference, this is hardly a mandate. Adding in that he lost seats in the House and hasn't changed control of the Senate, it makes it clear that the presidential race was a referendum on Trump, and more specifically his response to the coronavirus.

I don’t see it as a referendum on his pandemic response

Nov 7, 2020, 9:44 AM

If anything, his pandemic response and pushing for openings helped him more than it hurt him.

Nevada is much more competitive than it should have been, thanks in part to Trumps push to open the economy and bolster tourism. See also: Florida

If the polls were wrong about Trumps support, they also badly missed on those that claimed Trump was doing poorly on the pandemic. His message there is populist at the moment. Biden almost lost the election over his tone on the pandemic.

Nov 7, 2020, 9:43 AM

Agreed. Let's not get all Dubya ala 2004 here, Joe. Read the room. Plenty of Americans still opposed your administration.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic