Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Game date?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,806

Game date?

Jan 2, 2020, 4:05 PM

What’s the reason for not having the championship this coming Monday 6th?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are slowly but surely trying to make college football

Jan 2, 2020, 4:09 PM

Like the NFL and ruin it

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be played on a Saturday.....easier travel too.....

Jan 2, 2020, 4:11 PM

I could care less about the NFL..... or their schedule

Re: Game date?

Jan 2, 2020, 4:13 PM

Who knows????

To let SEC teams have time to rest?***

Jan 2, 2020, 4:15 PM

I’m sure Saban told the NCAA to do this***

Jan 2, 2020, 4:18 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 4:20 PM

There was an article on the Athletic about it. Basically when the playoff first began, they planned out the dates for every game. Originally they had the semis on New Year's Day. If the Natty was on the 6th, that would only have allowed about 5 days between Semis and Natty, so they pushed it back to the 13th.

After the first playoff semi games received less than great ratings, they decided to move the semis to Saturdays (had to be before new years to avoid conflict with the NFL). There was already too much in place to move the Natty as well (convention center rental for fan fest, rental of parks for the concerts and gameday tailgate, media day location, etc), so they just left it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 4:29 PM

Here is a link to a Yahoo Sports article verifying this^^.

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-is-the-college-football-playoff-schedule-so-messed-up-162909319.html

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 2, 2020, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Game date? ]

I think you're right except I think the original schedule was NEW Years Eve not day.

Jan 2, 2020, 4:26 PM

Louisiana is playing an Ohio school on the 6th. There’s a joke in there somewhere.

Jan 2, 2020, 4:33 PM

Semis were originally planned for New Year’s Eve. With that, the final, which for some reason HAS to be on a Monday night, would have been less than a week after. So, they moved it to the 13th. Later the date was changed for the semis but they couldn’t change the finals date for logistical reasons, I suppose. Maybe because the Saints are playing on the 5th?

In other words, the people who run it are idiots. Turns out ok since we got a bit beat up in the Fiesta.

Jan 2, 2020, 4:53 PM

The Natty is on Monday to avoid competing with the NFL playoffs on Saturday/Sunday.

I wish the NCAA or whoever is in charge would just man up and say since Saturday is the day for College Football all season long, we're playing the Natty on Saturday night. If the NFL wants to compete with that for viewers, good luck. I bet they would play their Saturday games at 1 and 4 and avoid the conflict.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2020, 4:59 PM

Totally agree with you on this

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!!

Jan 2, 2020, 5:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Game date? ]

Bingo! +1

Jan 2, 2020, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Game date? ]

I think what people miss is it's not the NCAA deciding when to play the games, it's the television networks, or ESPN currently since they have the contract. ESPN also has the right to some of the NFL wild card games at the moment. I'm sure if ESPN felt it was in their best interest to schedule the game on a Saturday they could make that happen. Although, most of these games are played in NFL stadiums so avoiding the risk of a conflict of schedule may also be a reason.

Jan 3, 2020, 9:14 AM

Has it happened yet that the NFL team played in the stadium the Saturday or Sunday before the Monday National Championship? That would be a crazy fast turnaround to switch out all the signage that they do, and update the field and everything.

I know Tampa replaced their entire field (grass), and was prepared to hire extra crews and work for like 48 hours straight if necessary had the Bucs hosted a playoff game. (They mentioned that in the stadium tour we took prior to the game)

Even without the NFL playoff game, they were still working on the signage as of the Sunday before the game.

Jan 2, 2020, 5:04 PM

I'm sure the extra week is welcomed by our team this year as we had quite a few guys banged up the other night.

Jan 2, 2020, 8:12 PM

Keep in mind the College Football Playoff has no connection to the NCAA. It is not an NCAA sponsored event and the winning team is not recognized as an NCAA Champion.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,806
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic