Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the 2013 football season?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the 2013 football season?

Feb 11, 2013, 12:23 PM

Posted by Mike Florio on February 11, 2013, 8:09 AM EST

The NFL requires college football players to wait three years after graduating high school before entering the draft not for their own good, but for the good of college football. With South Carolina defensive end Jadeveon Clowney possibly the first overall pick in the 2013 draft if he were available to be drafted but still one year removed from being eligible, Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer has raised an intriguing question.

Should Clowney sit out the 2013 college football season, for his own good?

Clowney should look no farther than former teammate Marcus Lattimore, who suffered a serious knee injury during his third season after leaving high school. Lattimore’s draft stock has taken a major hit because of it, and it’s unclear whether he’ll ever reach his full potential at the next level.

Most college football players major in playing football, even though a small percentage of all college football players ever play professionally. If a player is ready not only for the NFL but also to be the taken at the top of the draft, why risk serious injury by playing for free?

Let’s not get bogged down by the “free education” excuse. What Clowney gains in 2013 by playing for South Carolina is outweighed dramatically by the risk. Sure, he’ll purchase an insurance policy to replace the money he’d lose if he suffers a career-ending injury. But if he’s injured, he’s injured. And if it impacts his ability to thrive in the NFL, no insurance policy will change that.

As Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino routinely tells players in whom the NBA is interested, “You can stay and help my family, or you can go and help your family.” In Clowney’s case, he could be helping himself and his family more by sitting out a season.

Of course, an unconventional decision to not play football this year could impact the manner in which NFL teams regard Clowney. Apart from the fact that he’d be out of sight for 2013, some coaches and scouts may have concerns about a guy whose love of football has been overcome by his own financial interests.

Still, those financial interests reside at the core of the football business. With the NFL erecting artificial barriers aimed at ensuring the supply of players for its free farm system won’t be disrupted, one of the best college football players in the nation needs to realize that his decision to participate in college football this year constitutes a business decision, too.

As crazy as it may sound on the surface, Clowney’s best play could indeed be to not play at all.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Should Jadeveon Clowney sit out the 2013 football season?

Feb 11, 2013, 12:26 PM

Sounds good to me, I think he might be dumb enough to think this is a good idea too...

I definitely think he should!! :)***

Feb 11, 2013, 12:29 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Quick! Someone read this to Clowney so he can know

Feb 11, 2013, 12:37 PM

what's in it.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Re: Quick! Someone read this to Clowney so he can know

Feb 11, 2013, 2:14 PM

GREAT IDEA!!! but read it s-l-o-w and explain every word to him!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: D@mned if does, d@mned if he doesn't

Feb 11, 2013, 12:44 PM

If he comes back and gets hurt, everyone second guesses him.
If he doesn't come back, people question his commitment and character. Plus he won't be getting exposure to scouts and coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Re: D@mned if does, d@mned if he doesn't

Feb 11, 2013, 1:11 PM

he has managed to go two seasons without getting injured. i think he would be stupid not to play again this season... mind you, i'd love to see someone else lineup on defense wearing number 7 (4 1/2 sacks against CU this year... SERIOUSLY! ###!) but i don't see it happening.

Won't happen... Period.***

Feb 11, 2013, 12:46 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he should quit football

Feb 11, 2013, 12:47 PM

And take up reading books to gradeschool children in China.

Did you mean having books read to him

Feb 11, 2013, 1:14 PM

by gradeschool kids in China?

He should play. He wanted to be a Coot, so be a Coot !***

Feb 11, 2013, 1:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Taint

Feb 11, 2013, 1:17 PM

like his speaking skills will improve this year anyway...

Feb 11, 2013, 1:23 PM

I want him on the field in 2013; so that when The Tigers beat the living dog crap out of the chickens, we can remind him of his bold prediction of never losing to Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2013, 1:24 PM

No, but as we have seen from some, many players who are in his position I do not think he will be playing all out. Last year will probably be his best year as far as numbers goes.
We had a player last year that did not give all he had to give, 4 sacks in 12 games then 3 1/2 sacks in a bowl game, someone must have told him to pick-up his play over be over looked.
Over the years we have had players not play to the level that they could have in their last year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2013, 1:33 PM

Anything that helps us take down the coots sounds great. Sit out Clowney

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 11, 2013, 2:03 PM

Unless Clown changes his mind. He said on the local news here in cootlumbia that was playing this coming season....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must have run COMPLETELY out of stuff to write about!******

Feb 11, 2013, 2:06 PM

Feb 11, 2013, 2:13 PM

yes he should go!! help himself and not those awful #### fans!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that would be too funny... BUT...

Feb 11, 2013, 3:22 PM

if kids start doing that, then you'll end up with guys like Sammy Watkins sitting out their junior seasons, and so on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think you could teach him to sit or rollover.***

Feb 11, 2013, 4:59 PM

His case does shows the flaw in the 3-year-rule. If a kid is

Feb 11, 2013, 5:06 PM

good enough to play in the NFL right now - why does anyone have the right to stop him?

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic