Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Wccp needs change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Wccp needs change

Jul 11, 2017, 8:04 AM

Let start off by saying I've enjoyed wccp for many years. I listened almost every day for at least 15 years too and from work. But change needs to happen.

1. Mickey.... again, I've listened to him in the mornings for years. But this guy needs a wake up call. He's late to work more times than he should. I'm sure he'll say it only happens once a year but that's simply not true. It's very unprofessional and it seems he just kind of does whatever he wants when he wants. I'm not gonna give him a hard time about some of his topics, I understand he's a Yankees fan and all.... but it's embarrassing to here this guy talk sometimes about things nobody/majority in the upstate cares about.

2. Walt. This guy needs a wake up call more then any human on earth. His arrogance is ridiculous. It's out of control and it seems that most everyone I've ever talked to says the same thing. The same 4-5 callers call every day.... the show is horrible.

3. When qualk and Kelly is your best show... you know the station has issues.

As a listener.... I'm giving you feedback wccp. Your station is in trouble if you ask me. You need to straighten things up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walt is still on the air?

Jul 11, 2017, 8:10 AM

Figured he'd be in jail or a steroid induced coma by now.
Yeah, he's an #### of the largest kind. It's his thing. Being an ####

Of the he largest kind

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Walt is still on the air?

Jul 11, 2017, 8:20 AM

I couldn't agree more! Does anyone remember back 10 years or so ago when a certain Charlotte sports program carried on Wccp just dogged out Deptula so bad it got to be embarrassing? I really believe he had a male bromance with Paul Johnson also, it's like he worships everything PJ does...he should be fired just for that.
Add in the facts that he can't pronounce any word that has a "t" in it, has the worst run up music (Walt has a sickness all his own?????###???) and a zombie production manager in Romona, and you have the blueprint for the worst show in the upstate as far as sports talk!

Jul 11, 2017, 8:22 AM [ in reply to Walt is still on the air? ]

No doubt Walt's show is by far the worst when it comes to his arrogance & proclaiming that he's "right" all the time. I will say that his talent analysis of both football & basketball players is really good. That's about it though.

My question to you guys though is how do we get a better lineup on WCCP? Where do you start looking for talent?

Jul 11, 2017, 8:32 AM

How?

Change everything.

They should look no further than TigerNet....

Jul 11, 2017, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Walt is still on the air? ]

We have plenty of talent on the boards.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should look no further than TigerNet....

Jul 11, 2017, 9:12 AM

Honestly not a bad idea to bring on some funnier TNet posters for a short segment on a show. It couldn't be worse than some of the offseason shows on 105.5 where all they talk about is the NBA and Golf.

open job ad for a 4 hour show on the

Jul 11, 2017, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Walt is still on the air? ]

Reigning national champions flagship station? You would get 100+ qualified applicants in a couple days

Re: Wccp needs change

Jul 11, 2017, 8:14 AM

I've tried listening on my way in to work in the mornings, about 7:40-8am, but generally all I hear is commercials, mostly the ones where they're done in the studio by Mickey or a "guest caller" or something. Have tried it several times, thinking maybe I just got unlucky, but that seems to be the primary commercial time. Don't want to hear commercials. Want to hear sports/Clemson talk when I tune in.

Jul 11, 2017, 8:33 AM

Very true about commercials. It's wayyyy too much

Jul 11, 2017, 8:30 AM

Always has been pretty bad. I have never listened for any sustained period of time. I am embarrassed at Clemson being linked to it. The school should find a decent station for the flagship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2017, 8:36 AM

I'm not sure it's always been bad. But it really does seem like over the last few years it's taken a turn for the worst.

I say keep Mickey.... but straitened him up some. Make him show up to work on time and stop doing his show from wherever he wants to... like vacation.

Dump Walt period!!!! Do it now! He needs to learn humility.

..***

Jul 11, 2017, 6:28 PM

Jul 11, 2017, 8:40 AM

I'm convinced that people on this board would complain about any radio host they hired.

Jul 11, 2017, 8:49 AM

You must not listen.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:49 AM

I listen for a couple of hours every day. Just not a whiny #####

Jul 11, 2017, 9:27 PM

Sorry for my rude response above. I regret writing it.

Re: Wccp needs change... I agree!

Jul 11, 2017, 8:44 AM

I don't post much anymore, but T-Net has been my home page since the fall of '95. WCCP has become a disappointment. I listen often, but I'm on the edge of their coverage. What turns me off the most is the blaring rock music coming out of commercials that goes on...and on...and on. I've heard enough of "Road Rage". I know they have time to fill, but this really grates on me. Also, I tune in to hear about CLEMSON ATHLETICS not the Yankees or the NBA for chrisakes. A while back I left home going to AVL and heard nothing but talk about the American League standings until I was out of range, about 15 minutes. How many Oakland A's fans can there be in the upstate?

Rant ends.

Photobucket

"that blaring rock music...." now that's funny.***

Jul 11, 2017, 8:54 AM

Re: "that blaring rock music...." now that's funny.***

Jul 11, 2017, 10:38 AM

Lol. You caught that too?!

I guess controlling a volume knob is difficult?***

Jul 11, 2017, 1:18 PM [ in reply to "that blaring rock music...." now that's funny.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Absolutely agree. I'm glad I am not in the area anymore

Jul 11, 2017, 9:01 AM

So I'm no longer tempted to turn on that station. It's not just the off-season blues. It's ridiculous all the time. They need to clean house and start over.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Jul 11, 2017, 9:05 AM

And then there is romona. What in the h e double hockey sticks is she good for on that show?

She might be the dumbest person I've ever heard

Jul 11, 2017, 9:09 AM

The only reason she is there is so that Walt can make fun of her and make him feel better about himself.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: She might be the dumbest person I've ever heard

Jul 11, 2017, 9:26 AM

Here is my "fix" for WCCP............

I love Clemson sports just like all of us but I just don't think this market can sustain 4 (Mickey, new guy, Qualk/Kelly, and Walt) local shoes that are "Clemson centric". Not enough listeners/callers for 4 local shows. On top of that, there is very little creativity when it comes to the hosts and their segments. I have listened to Mickey for years but its the same thing every morning. He just reads news headlines and banters around for 3 hours. I do not like Qualk's show (however Kelly is good) but he tries with some of his segments (not just taking calls). Walt is just Walt (bad, says the same thing over and over, etc).

If I was owner of WCCP I would ask my hosts to offer up some creativity on their shows. Think of some unique segments. Right now its commercial, call (Chad from Columbia, Delvin, or the other three that call), banter, commercial, repeat. It gets stale.

Bottom line............I really think that WCCP needs to cut one (or two) hosts and fill with a great national host. Personally, I like Dan Patrick. He is professional, funny, has great interviews, and has great rapport with his producers in studio. Its a fun show.

WCCP has gotten stale. The only thing helping them now is the success of the football teams. THAT is carrying them. Imagine WCCP during the Ken Hatfield days...........

Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 AM

Please tell me you don't play Walts picks in the fall?

It was documented here last fall throughout the season and if i remember correctly he "hit" about 48% correct. Trust me........he is not the "Vegas slayer" that he claims that he is.

Thats what I don't get.........he goes on and on and on about how he kills Vegas year end and year out BUT the dude is hosting a crappy sports talk show on WCCP. You would think that if it was the case he would have been "self made" by now and moved on into retirement.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:09 PM

You're absolutely correct. The guy's really not all that with his "prognostications", he just harps on about 20 different what-if's on a subject, then banters about the part that actually happened. All except Puwall Johnson & Georgia Tech. He's pretty much talked himself into a corner on that one over the years & for some reason refuses to own up to the facts on it.

I listen to WCCP to hear about Clemson sports.

Jul 11, 2017, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Wccp needs change ]

Sometimes I like to hear about golf, The UFC, boxing, the NFL, or MLB (particularly The Barves), and especially when talking about the state of each in general, but only briefly. I'm mainly there for Clemson sports, and to some extent, college football. I realize that would limit the content and get boring for a lot of people, but I don't want a Jim Rome type or some other nationally syndicated blabbermouth devoting a whole show to the the Pittsburgh Penguins, University Of Kansas basketball, or the current NBA. When the current WCCP crew ventures too far off into any of that, that's when I switch to something else or shut it off. As long as I'm getting a healthy dose of Clemson sports, I don't really care that much who it is.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 11, 2017, 9:11 AM

Something as simple as shaking up the time slots and pairings would go a long way. I personally like Qualk and Kelly but I'm also a millennial so they appeal more to me.

I can't stand Walt, but I usually make a nice chunk of change in the fall playing his gambling picks so I can't hate on him completely. New blood would be nice around the WCCP studios.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:15 AM

You lost me at Qualk is the best show ! He sux!! Honestly, drop him and keep Kelli and then, it might be a great show.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:30 AM

If you think quacks show is the best maybe you are the one with the problem

Jul 11, 2017, 10:35 AM

Exactly.... based on the comments here it sounds like the station needs:

1. more qualk and kelly but also.... they are in trouble if qualk and kelly is the best show
2. less loud music especially rock .... so maybe some elevator light jazz stuff....ya know like most sporting events and shows
3. All Local all Clemson all the time but from national hosts 50% of the time
4. less commercials so we will need to do all this on a pretty tight budget

problem solved.... well done tnet

Take away WCCP for a year or two, replace it with a bland

Jul 11, 2017, 12:52 PM

generic syndicated show and see how fast people beg for the local shows again. Every single show is caller driven. Don't like the Oakland A's talk? Call in and change it.

We're spoiled.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Wccp needs change ]

That you Ben?

Ben?

Jul 11, 2017, 11:58 PM

If only i could be so lucky

I stopped listening years ago***

Jul 11, 2017, 10:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Jul 11, 2017, 12:12 PM

I've listened to wccp for about 15 yrs now going and coming from work. I would say I enjoy about 50 to 60 % of the topics. Yes Mickey is a Yankees fan and who cares about the Yankees around here and yes Walt is narsicistic and impartially impartial to all things Patriots and Tom Brady but I will say I enjoy the shows and it sure beats anything else on the radio these days.

Jul 11, 2017, 12:17 PM

Mickey has gotten worse. He used to always have recruiting news but now it seems like he relies on looking at ESPN right when he gets in to work.

Jul 11, 2017, 11:37 PM

Mickey's acme was doing guest spots for Ralph Patterson and Tommy Powell.
I eagerly awaited his first day as the host of his own show and was immediately disappointed. I have never truly enjoyed his show.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The talent just isn't there.

Jul 11, 2017, 12:18 PM

Walt has potential from a sports knowledge perspective, but his ego is just too big, and his arrogance is very off-putting.

Mickey seems to go to bed to early to really have any interest in any sports that don't occur on the weekend. He's pretty good at Clemson football/Clemson basketball/Clemson baseball talk, but outside of that topic, there just doesn't seem to be any depth when he goes into a topic. I think Mickey is fine during the Clemson sports seasons if you want some Clemson and even SC sports talk, but during the summer and from a national sports perspective, he just doesn't cut it.

Qualk and Kelly both have potential, but they're both too young and inexperienced. In an ideal world, they'd both still be cohosts to a more experienced host like a better version of Walt or Mickey. Still, they probably give you the best balance of national talk without the arrogance.

But these days, I've just been listening to Mike and Mike on ESPN Radio in the morning, and either music or podcasts on the way home. I have an hour commute each day, so it is indeed disappointing that there's no good content on WCCP at this time of the year.

Re: The talent just isn't there.

Jul 11, 2017, 11:28 PM

^^^^THIS!!!^^^^. Post of the thread (POTT)!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2017, 12:54 PM

1. Mickey is still my favorite on the station. However, he does go overboard with the Yankees.

2. I enjoy Qualk and Kelly but don't get to listen to them too often

3. I don't and won't listen to Walt. I tried for years, but I've given up. Since WCCP won't cut ties with him, I have cut ties with WCCP during his time slot.

4. I like hearing brief updates/news regarding area pro teams (Braves, Panthers, Falcons, etc.) and Clemson alumni in the pros. But the majority should be Clemson.

5. Because of number 4 above, I do not listen to national shows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just turn it off man. It's all the sports version of keeping up

Jul 11, 2017, 1:29 PM

With the kardashians. .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

the last time wccp was worth listening to was when

Jul 11, 2017, 1:36 PM

Drake and company were running it as a Classic Rock station.

I quit listening a couple of years ago. The best show on

Jul 11, 2017, 7:03 PM

there was Roy's and he was always out. I didn't much care for the other shows. They had a lot of commercials and when they were on air they always seemed to like talking about their commercials.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2017, 8:24 PM

Everything about the station (the hosts, the production, the commercials, etc...) has always seemed very amateurish to me. Maybe WCCP doesn't pay well and thus can't attract talent?

Jul 11, 2017, 9:12 PM

Amateurish? It's small town radio.

It's more of background music

Y'all some haters.

From Amy Lawrence to Pharrell at night.

DA is good Too

Jul 11, 2017, 9:20 PM

Yes amateurish. What does the size of the town have to do with the professionalism and engineering of those working at the station?

Jul 11, 2017, 9:27 PM

What's unprofessional?

Ben just went to ESPN did he not.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:29 PM

Roy excuse me

Jul 11, 2017, 9:35 PM

Roy was the only one that seemed even slightly polished. I would put him no. 1 on the station from he prospective that he at least sounded like he belonged on the air.

Jul 11, 2017, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Wccp needs change ]

Having hosts that eat while on the air. Not regulating the volume of callers so I have to turn up the volume when they take calls then have my eardrums blown out when the host talks again. As mentioned above, hosts that show up late. Putting producers on air that have no business being on air, just to make the host feel better about himself.

Clemson is a very small

Jul 11, 2017, 10:54 PM

radio market and is near Greenville . The competition for advertising dollars is fierce. Salaries in radio are low. Young talented announcers are trying to get into larger markets, WCCP is the starting point for many. You simply cannot afford better and experienced people on or off the air. People often use these small market stations as stepping stones. If they get better at their jobs, they move on like Phillpot. You got what you got.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic