Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seriously, why do people live in Virginia?
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 480

Seriously, why do people live in Virginia?

Aug 8, 2014, 10:16 AM

Long article so I'll just post the linky and cliffs, but a guy went 93 in a 55 and got sentenced to 3 days in jail. Anything over 80 mph is reckless driving and you can get 30 days in jail for going 100 mph.

I also remember reading a story about how cops swarmed some chick's car in a grocery store parking lot because they thought she was underage buying beer. Apparently they are 5x worse than SLED when it comes to underage drinking

http://jalopnik.com/never-speed-in-virginia-lessons-from-my-three-days-in-1613604053

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Read that the other day

Aug 8, 2014, 10:17 AM

I would floored it too in that Camaro ZL1. No need for speeders, especially ones without serious priors, to serve jail time unless they caused a serious accident causing a loss of life.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Pretty unreal that was a plea agreement with an attorney

Aug 8, 2014, 10:19 AM

present too

I guess that new judge just has a stick up his ###

Aug 8, 2014, 10:23 AM

Mom got a ticket once with me in the car in VA and every time since then I have never gone more than five over in VA. This article reassures me I have been making the correct decision.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

But but but they are just being proactive.

Aug 8, 2014, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Read that the other day ]

Instead of giving them the chance to kill somebody, they are trying to scare them into not doing it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

While I'm speeding, I'm far more alert and attentive than if

Aug 8, 2014, 10:28 AM

I'm just zoned out going the speed limit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I didn't say they were right.

Aug 8, 2014, 10:35 AM

Usually just speeding isn't a problem.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they can also charge you with...

Aug 8, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Read that the other day ]

"driving with the intent to kill" for going a certain amount over the speed limit. Or at least they could in the early 90s when other kids at my high school were telling horror stories.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've lived here 35 yrs

Aug 8, 2014, 10:21 AM

and never have been put in jail and never got caught using my fake id.

That one story about that chick getting arrested by ABC was ridiculous and they are getting sued financially from her.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My older bro went to college in VA

Aug 8, 2014, 10:24 AM

He said his university banned kegs at parties so his fraternity would go buy like 50-75 cases of crap beer for parties, but they would always send a 21 and older bro because ABC was so strict.

He said one time he went to buy when he was 21 and a cop stopped him in the parking lot and carded him andthen tried to question him why he was buying so much beer

Clemson banned kegs on campus when i was there

Aug 8, 2014, 10:31 AM

not sure if that's still a rule or not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Think she won like $212K in the case...***

Aug 8, 2014, 10:27 AM [ in reply to I've lived here 35 yrs ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

good for her***

Aug 8, 2014, 10:30 AM

The bad thing is, its our money... the over zealous

Aug 8, 2014, 10:37 AM

ones involved should be putting something up for this.

ya, but it keeps them in check in the future. The IRS needs

Aug 8, 2014, 10:38 AM

something bad to happen to them imo

Settlements in VA don't affect NY residents

Aug 8, 2014, 10:39 AM [ in reply to The bad thing is, its our money... the over zealous ]

And I think Virginia will be okay, they are bathing in money

we have a balanced budget rule

Aug 8, 2014, 10:42 AM

not sure if most states do but it keeps us out of trouble.

Where in VA?

Aug 8, 2014, 10:28 AM [ in reply to I've lived here 35 yrs ]

I think you've mentioned, but I forget. I was in Norfolk and Blacksburg.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

in Richmond

Aug 8, 2014, 10:29 AM

but lived in Va Beach for about 5 yrs.
Richmond is a ton better imo altho the beach has it perks, as in ninja's.

Isn't VA Beach kinda dumpy? Or is that more Newport News?***

Aug 8, 2014, 10:37 AM

newport news

Aug 8, 2014, 10:42 AM

but that's 45 minutes up 64. Va Beach is dumpy in some portions. The area's around the water rock. Probably the best boardwalk on the east coast imo. But the bayside is great. Most inland area's aren't the best but overall it's not a bad place to live. The jet noise is unbearable tho.

Gotcha, my grandparents actually lived fairly close

Aug 8, 2014, 10:55 AM

to VA Beach (peanut farming land), but we never drove over to the beach area

Check out Sandbridge.

Aug 8, 2014, 12:29 PM

It was quieter and nicer than the main beach at Va Beach.

At least, it was like that over a decade ago when I was last there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

I set my cruise control to 78 in a 70 while in VA...

Aug 8, 2014, 10:41 AM

I HATE Virginia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember "Fuzz Busters"...

Aug 8, 2014, 10:48 AM

TL;DR - Patient Dad puts up with Richard Cranium cop on the side of the road.

For you young'uns - a Fuzz Buster was one of the first doppler radar based devices sold to the public for detecting police speed traps.

Dad had one in our 69 LTD (429 Police Interceptor powered FTW) along with a CB radio and an antennae that went waaaaay up there. BTW - I believe VA was the first state to declare radar detection devices illegal. So, when we traveled through the great state of VA, Dad put it in an empty tissue box on the dash.

He got pulled over on the interstate by the highway patrol because they thought he was giving out "smokey" reports.

I remember the HP officer patting my Dad on the back and right then, over the CB radio, we hear, "Smokey's patting him on the back! Keep an eye out for a green LTD with a vinyl top. He's reporting to the cops." Both Dad and the HP officer heard that...

Of course, no ticket was given, but Dad was some kind of PO'd when he got back in the car. Shortly, thereafter we were going 90 again.

True story.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One of the better governed states in the country

Aug 8, 2014, 10:48 AM

Relatively rich, lots of good scenery, good schools, close to all the major cities on the east coast, etc.

I don't think people should go to jail for speeding, but 93 in a 55 is pretty insane.

After saying all that, I do recall that Virginia's DUI laws are some of the strictest in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No it isn't, have you seen how ridiculously low some speed

Aug 8, 2014, 11:06 AM

limits are? I-85's speed limit is 60 mph. 60 MILES PER ####### HOUR! That's completely unreasonable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it's 65 or 70 on i85.

Aug 8, 2014, 11:11 AM

depends on where you are on 85 tho.

http://www.motorists.org/speed-limits/state-chart

60 thru G-vegas.***

Aug 8, 2014, 11:13 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#ACCFTS

It always seemed like I could speed up when I hit 85***

Aug 8, 2014, 11:14 AM [ in reply to it's 65 or 70 on i85. ]

Once you get out of Greenville you have a little more

Aug 8, 2014, 11:26 AM

freedom. I mean, I do 80-90 on it every day if traffic allows. Usually there's some idiot in the left lane doing 60 though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was talking about coming from VA

Aug 8, 2014, 11:28 AM

There was usually traffic on 95 most of the way until I hit Petersburg where I could switch to 85. The speed limit in and around town is lower, but once you get out on the open road I think it's 70 most of the way through VA.

That's the maximum speed limit, not indicative of the

Aug 8, 2014, 11:23 AM [ in reply to it's 65 or 70 on i85. ]

speed limit along the entire interstate...

Like stated above, 60 through Gville...

Aug 8, 2014, 11:25 AM [ in reply to it's 65 or 70 on i85. ]

And even 65 is WAY too low. Speed limits on interstates like that should be 75 mph minimum. The entire idea that you should be punished for traveling too fast is insane, especially in light of the fact that it's the slow drivers who cause all of the problems on the roadway.

Have you driven a 2008+ car recently? 90mph is not even

Aug 8, 2014, 11:09 AM [ in reply to One of the better governed states in the country ]

close to insane.

Interstate speed limits country-wide are lower than they should be, those roads are designed for much higher traffic speeds. And Virginia is one of the worst when it comes to interstate speed limits, while Texas is one of the best.

I would say small town NC is the worst.

Aug 8, 2014, 11:14 AM

dudes trap every small town in the state.

I have an '06 w/ a V8 and a 2013

Aug 8, 2014, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Have you driven a 2008+ car recently? 90mph is not even ]

Whether those cars can safely drive 90 or not doesn't make much difference if everybody else is going 60 or 65 because there's a 55 MPH speed limit. That's why going almost 40 over a 55 MPH speed limit is so dangerous.

He was clear there was nobody else on the road.

Aug 8, 2014, 11:22 AM

I'm not arguing going 30mph faster than the normal flow of traffic on a relatively busy highway, but going 40mph over the speed limit on an empty or mostly empty highway isn't that insane or dangerous.

Just seems pretty excessive

Aug 8, 2014, 11:29 AM

As do the punishments for speeding in VA.

Message was edited by: camcgee®

Which is precisely why unreasonably slow speed limits

Aug 8, 2014, 11:27 AM [ in reply to I have an '06 w/ a V8 and a 2013 ]

need to be bumped up. If anything, speed limits cause more problems.

Bob McDonnell & Maureen would say hello,

Aug 8, 2014, 1:18 PM [ in reply to One of the better governed states in the country ]

but they're in court today...

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Brah, I got swarmed coming out of the Bi-Lo in Clemson

Aug 8, 2014, 11:09 AM

with two cases of beer. I took like four steps out of the door and was surrounded by three of them, just to ID me. They had much disappoint upon seeing I was of age.

No wonder they drive like idgits when they get to NC

Aug 8, 2014, 11:41 AM

they ain't skeerd of no NC trooper!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I JUST got off the phone w/ Brunswick Combined Courts,

Aug 8, 2014, 12:24 PM

brunswick county VA....$221 for 84 in a 70.
it was 'reckless speeding', and bonus $$'s for anything over 80mph.

yay.

But how much quicker did you get there?***

Aug 8, 2014, 12:31 PM

Enjoying the 80 mph speed limits here in Wy***

Aug 8, 2014, 1:46 PM

Re: As a Virginia resident I have learned first hand that

Aug 8, 2014, 2:19 PM

it isn't worth speeding on the interstates. My speeding story: Was on my way down to Clemson in April 2004 and got hit on I-81 in Rockbridge County going 82 in a 65. In April 2005 I was stopped at the same location on I-81 by THE SAME STATE TROOPER going the same 82 in a 65. When he gave me my ticket he told me that he had recognized my name when he ran my tags and that he was the same trooper to give me the ticket 360 days before. Why do the days matter? Because the state trooper reminded me that if I had been caught six days later it would have been more than a year since my last offense but because it was within a year I would be officially invited to participate in the Virginia State Police's Safe Driving Program. Oh, and because it was within a year, USAA sent me a lovely notice jacking my insurance by 35%.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 46
| visibility 480
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic