Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Don't normally post Coot material, but provoked by a friend
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Don't normally post Coot material, but provoked by a friend

Apr 10, 2014, 9:28 PM

calling Conner Shaw the "greatest quarterback in South Carolina history". I was skeptical (not that it would be a difficult accomplishment) and did some digging. I'm not a big "stat" guy in college football (racking up 400 yards passing on Coastal is nonsense), so I decided to evaluate by actual accomplishment, y'know, hardware. This is what I came up with for the 4 QBs I would consider the coots best in the last 30 or so years:

TODD “touchdown...Clemzen” ELLIS

National Championships = 0
Conference Championships = 0
Major Bowl Wins = 0
Clemson Wins = 1

STEVE TANEYHILLbilly

Division Championships = 0
Major Bowl Wins = 0
Clemson Wins = 2

STEPHEN CARKIA

Division Championships = 1
BCS Bowl Wins = 0
Clemson Wins = 2

CONNER SHAWshank

Division Championships = 0
BCS Bowl Wins = 0
Clemson Wins = 3

Based on this criteria, I would give the distinction as "greatest ever" to Stephen Garcia, as he brought home the only championship of any kind since 1969. However, the 3 wins over Clemson must really resonate in the coot fanbase, because Shaw really did nothing else to be called "the greatest ever".

I know this is nothing but rival bric-a-brac, but I was simply perplexed by this lovefest over Shaw.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 wins over Clemson for shaw

Apr 10, 2014, 9:32 PM

Both at home

Re: 2 wins over Clemson for shaw

Apr 10, 2014, 9:37 PM

Correct, I forgot he was injured in 2012. More of a case for Garcia.

judging from the numbers listed, al it takes to be a great

Apr 11, 2014, 6:28 AM [ in reply to 2 wins over Clemson for shaw ]

QB at sc is to beat us...a little ol ACC team really makes a man out of ya atthat place.

Pathetic***

Apr 10, 2014, 9:37 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Seriously , i have no problem calling Shaw a ....

Apr 10, 2014, 9:39 PM

winner, because he was. Whatever anyone wants to call him, you still got to call him a winner because that one is a fact. Much like our own Rodney Williams in that regard. That doesn't mean that I have to like him and we can all call him whatever we want, because , after all, he is a coot . But he is, in fact, a winner and we just have to admit that and move on to the next topic.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was definitely a better QB than Garcia, even though they

Apr 10, 2014, 9:55 PM

didn't win the division. Even though he's a "coot" as many here say, he was a good QB.

I have to agree and add----how many times did he have to

Apr 11, 2014, 8:09 AM

come in and save the day when Thompson was in over his head? He is not going to be there to do it any more so who is going to do it because we saw Thompson with the deer in the headlights look before (more than once).

I guess the dismissal of Garcia for Shaw improperly weights the argument

Apr 10, 2014, 9:40 PM

But it probably also incorrectly assumes their success is a result of who they had at QB.

Re: I guess the dismissal of Garcia for Shaw improperly weights the argument

Apr 10, 2014, 9:43 PM

Great point

Re: Don't normally post Coot material, but provoked by a friend

Apr 10, 2014, 9:57 PM

All of those applicable nicknames took some effort, I'm sure. Any two of those combined couldn't hold a stat-candle to Tajh "apple" Boyd! However, it was recently argued to me that Dylan Thompson has started and won more games in Death Valley than all three of the current Tiger QB candidates combined. Not too sure about that.

Apr 10, 2014, 10:15 PM

It's true, he was the stater in 2012 game because Shaw was injured, but 1 of our 3 will beat him this year in The Valley.

Apr 11, 2014, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Don't normally post Coot material, but provoked by a friend ]

Sample size and statistical significance - W T F is it?

Tell 'em capon

Apr 11, 2014, 1:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Don't normally post Coot material, but provoked by a friend ]

level below coot

Reaching. (@_@) Accept and move on.***

Apr 10, 2014, 9:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 10, 2014, 11:25 PM

No matter how you cut it, Shaw was a thorn in Clemson's side and I, for one, am glad he is gone. It has never been the qb. It's Steve Spurrier. And he ain't gonna live forever, nor is he going to coach forever. The tide will soon turn..and it's going to turn hard.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You sound like a coot yourself...

Apr 11, 2014, 7:51 AM

not interested in Usuc QB #####...

Nothing but respect for Shaw.

Apr 11, 2014, 8:18 AM

Other than him looking like Sloth from the Goonies.

#### good QB, never really ran his mouth, stayed out of trouble, won games.

I have no problem with that.

Eh, he gave them three 11 win seasons

Apr 11, 2014, 8:42 AM

Considering their history, I think that easily puts him up there as their GOAT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since we are not the SEC, we can't really brag about them

Apr 11, 2014, 9:21 AM

not winning that conference. We play in an inferior league, which causes me to refrain from using division titles and conference titles as part of our hate-war with them.

I can't really use the BCS bowl win against them because I think they would have beaten Ohio State too, if they were given the opportunity. I'm proud enough of Clemson without feeling the need to make hypocritical rivalry arguments.

Without scoreboard we are left with being the superior academic institution, having a vastly superior campus, and having a superior nationally recognized traditions. We need scoreboard back.

The SCAR brand may be dominating inside of SC, but as someone who works in northern GA and Western NC I can tell you that the amount of Clemson people there have grown much faster than #### people in the last few years.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Since we are not the SEC, we can't really brag about them

Apr 11, 2014, 9:34 AM

This is probably the most level headed thing I've read on here in a while.

Re: Since we are not the SEC, we can't really brag about them

Apr 11, 2014, 9:51 AM

Our opponents from Tallahassee won the football National Championship last year . Beat their precious league champions to do it.
We may not stack up across the board but our top 3 are currently as good as their top three ...imo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 11, 2014, 9:58 AM

What the coot is confused about is placing Shaw all that high on any list. Yeh - he was a solid QB no doubt, but not all that great.

The real reason the coots have beaten us the past 5 years is COACHING. Heck - they even played their 2nd string QB one year and their 2nd string RB (lost ML to injury that year) at OUR HOUSE and still beat us. They probably could have put their linebacker in as QB and beat us. It's coaching - get over it. Our coaches are better now - but apparently not better enough yet. Maybe someday we will beat them again. Maybe our coaches and players will finally understand that CLEMSON fans prefer to NOT lose every dang year.

Apr 11, 2014, 1:19 PM

I agree that coaching has had a lot to do with it but a chunk of it comes down to execution too (missed tackles, dropped balls, botched handoffs, etc). We seem to spiral out of control when we have a mess up or a turnover. Once our guys learn to just shake it off and spot the ball I think we will be in a dominant position.

Apr 11, 2014, 1:39 PM

Its kind of hard to be in a dominant position if we can't get hand-offs right. Jeesh. [coaching]

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic