Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Leading Candidates for Clemson DC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

Football Update: Leading Candidates for Clemson DC

Jan 13, 2012, 6:22 PM

Leading Candidates for Clemson DC

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sweeney? Sweeney Todd?***

Jan 13, 2012, 6:26 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET?????***

Jan 13, 2012, 7:05 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get Bill Clark now

Jan 13, 2012, 6:35 PM

This guy is rising defensive guru and has not failed anywhere he's been so far and just needs a BCS team to give him a start.

Shannon has negative baggage and is a failed head coach with great talent.

Venebles defenses were getting torched all season and now Stoopes is bringing back his brother to clean it up.The blame is being put on the secondary coach who has resigned.

Look at Coach Clark's records.He is a coaching legend highly respected throughout Alabama and could recruit the area well already knowing all the coaches and most of the players.

In South Alabama's first two seasons, the Jags' defense has held its own.

In 2009, it allowed 5.9 points, 60.7 yards rushing and 173.1 yards passing per game, made 14 interceptions and recovered 8 fumbles, and had 35 tackles for a loss and 14 sacks.

Last season, against better competition, the Jags' defense allowed 13 points, 81.2 rushing yards and 173.4 passing yards a game. The defense recovered 10 fumbles, added 15 interceptions, and made 67 tackles for a loss and 24 sacks.

Assistnat Head Coach/ Deefnsive Coordinator at University South Alabama 2008-Present
Only 41 points scored against his USA defense in his first season coaching st the college level
USA undefeated in first two seasons of college football
Head Coach Prattville HS, ALbama 1999-2007 with a 107-11 record, a .907 winning percentage
Two-time 6AAAAAA Alabama State Champion, 2006 (Hoover) and 2007 (Spain Park) while winning his last 30 games in a row!
Over 9 seasons and 118 games at Prattville HS, Alabama, his defenses averaged 9.5 points per game allowed
In 2003, his defense allowed ridiculous 3.8 points per game for their 13 game season
Of the 118 high school games, his defenses shut out their opponents 31 times (over 25% on the games) including 7 shutsouts in 2003 and 6 shutouts in 2007
He set an Alabama State record for 56 consecutive regular season wins
Ranked #2 in USA Today's 2007 National High School Football Poll
2007 Alabama High School Coaches Association Coach of the Year
2007 Schutt Southeast Regional High School Coach of the Year
He is Prattville High School's all-time winningest Coach since they began keeping records in 1949, .907 winning percentage
Won 7 consecutive Alabama Region 4, 6AAAAAA titles (2001-2007)

http://www.thetotaldefense.com/3-4-defense
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/08/jaguars_coach_bill_clark_build.html

Shannon has negative baggage ???? NOT

Jan 13, 2012, 6:38 PM

Shannon is the one that ran the DB away from the program,reported to the higher up and while he may have been "a Failed" HC his defenses usually ranked in the top 7(1 year at 22) while he was a DC at Miami.

Plus I think with big names being interested

Jan 13, 2012, 6:44 PM

Dabo should stay out of the little leagues,it's no different than hiring from with in the staff..

Monster schedule, Steele could work in the league.

http://www.usajaguars.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Held NC State to less points than we did this year

Jan 15, 2012, 11:02 AM

and with South Alabama talent.

Re: Sounds like a guy with a bucket full of them.***

Jan 13, 2012, 6:44 PM [ in reply to Shannon has negative baggage ???? NOT ]

Re: Shannon has negative baggage ???? NOT

Jan 13, 2012, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Shannon has negative baggage ???? NOT ]

Randy Shannon would be my pick 10 to 1 of the 3. Randy would be a great help in recruiting Fla. I do believe Randy has the best Resume hands down of the other 2. And Dabo says he never reads this suff, just in case he does. DABO, you should have Randy Shannon here by Monday....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shannon's only negative baggage is that he wasn't right for

Jan 13, 2012, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

head coach. Shannon is a good DC.

If he is sooo good

Jan 13, 2012, 6:53 PM

and does not have negative baggage then why has no College program interview or tried to hire him in 1.5 years?

nobody wants him....period

Rumor has it that several have and after showing up at

Jan 13, 2012, 6:56 PM

Orange Bowl practice,he's had his eye set on this job.

Rumor is heresay

Jan 13, 2012, 8:31 PM

There are no media confirmations of RS being offered or considered any job but Clemson.

He was just fired a year ago so I'm not surprised

Jan 13, 2012, 7:02 PM [ in reply to If he is sooo good ]

how he didn't have a job coming into the season. So far this offseason I've already heard him linked to Tennessee, Maryland, So Car, and us so apparently some people are interested. What negative baggage are you talking about? I've never heard a bad thing about him.

Good point....***

Jan 13, 2012, 7:31 PM [ in reply to If he is sooo good ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How about some Shannon stat....

Jan 13, 2012, 6:43 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

During Shannon's six years as UM's defensive coordinator, his defenses ranked as follows in total defense nationally:
2001 – 6th
2002 – 7th
2003 – 2nd
2004 – 28th
2005 – 4th
2006 – 7th

2001 Shannon received the Broyles Award given annually to the best assistant coach in college football.

This was all at the COLLEGE level, not the HS level. Look at those NATIONAL rankings. That is mighty impressive. And he would appeal to the black players, of which we have a few. AND he is a name. He knows the ACC. He knows Miami. He should be able to recruit in Florida.

What am I missing?

Nobody knocking

Jan 13, 2012, 6:55 PM

on his door year and a half later for any positions in college football.

That says it all.

He was still being paid by Miami, he wasn't looking to coach

Jan 14, 2012, 1:25 PM

for the last year and a half. Generally any head coach that gets fired anymore, doesn't coach for several years because it would effect his buyout. Why go take another job with an assistant salary when you can do nothing, get away from the stress, decompress and collect a couple million dollars.

I agree we'd be foolish not to hire him if we can...

Jan 13, 2012, 7:19 PM [ in reply to How about some Shannon stat.... ]

This Clark guy sounds great, but he is not proven at the big-time college level. Yes - I know about Chad Morris, but how many times do you think you can roll the dice in that manner and come out a winner. Shannon has proven that he knows how to at least slow the GA Tech offense. With Miami about to get blasted by the NCAA he could be an invaluable cog to get those South Florida athletes to Clemson. By all accounts Shannon tried to clean up the mess at Miami. He tried to keep his players away from Shapiro. Shannon is a proven commodity as a DC in big-time college football. GET HIM DABO!

All great points... I completely agree***

Jan 14, 2012, 7:19 AM [ in reply to How about some Shannon stat.... ]

so why isn't Auburn, Bama, TN all over this guy?

Jan 13, 2012, 6:54 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

just wondering - they should know more about him than us

Why should they "know" more about him?

Jan 14, 2012, 7:21 AM

Clemson is a great with school with many intelligent people, and Randy is an ACC man... ??

Call Poly hung 41 points on Clark's D. Is he that good?***

Jan 13, 2012, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

Do we REALLY need to take chance on ANOTHER HS coach?

Jan 13, 2012, 7:00 PM

He may become a great coach, but don't we need a veteran or two with a track record? That's what I want for our coordinators. AND we sure as heck better find a DC who has a scheme for stopping a running QB - offenses like USUC and GT and MD and NCSt. But we also need to continue to be able to stop VT. I don't want a DC who does not have a plan for stopping a variety of offenses.

Message was edited by: Tiger_Fan_007®

He just needs a chance like Chad Morris did

Jan 13, 2012, 7:08 PM

Another website interviewd Bill Clark's assistant coach today to get a feel for his defense and coaching.Check it out.

http://cemetery-hill.com/

Re: Do we REALLY need to take chance on ANOTHER HS coach?

Jan 13, 2012, 7:13 PM [ in reply to Do we REALLY need to take chance on ANOTHER HS coach? ]

Clark could turn out to be a good one. BUT at this point in Dabo's coaching career(only 3 years)this decision is BIG. I just don't remember a time in the recent past when name coaches were interested in coming to Clemson.Interesting dilemma it is.......

Re: I don't believe it takes a brain surgeon to coach

Jan 13, 2012, 8:22 PM

football? Why pay them like they are?

Only one bad game

Jan 13, 2012, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Call Poly hung 41 points on Clark's D. Is he that good?*** ]

they played all year Razz.Take a good look at what he's done there in just 2 years and without any facilities with scrubb players and program only 2 years old.......

As you already know what Chad did with our talent,look what this guy done in VERY competitive Alabama HS.

7 straight titles, won 30 of his last games in a row, 31 shutouts,defenses averaged 9.5 a game over 9 season.

That is incredible!

Serious question, what happened this year? Lots of points

Jan 13, 2012, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

given up in 2011...just a rebuilding year for them?

Rebuilding

Jan 13, 2012, 7:20 PM

They have lost some guys and some others are too young.it's amazing what he has done with no facilities and little support.If could recruit and compete from a BCS school this coach could become a star.

Re: Get Bill Clark now

Jan 13, 2012, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

I like what I've read about Clark and what I listened to earlier in the day thru "Cemetery Hill" another Tiger site with an interesting interview regarding Bill Clark. Everybody says "you need experience," but how does one get it unless someone hires them? Dabo would be wise to interview all of the leading candidates and invite the top two to Clemson.

Dabo won't make a move simply to meet the fan's demand for a "fresh face" as he clearly recognizes the urgent need to refocus the Tiger defense. Venables actually would be my third choice at the moment despite his experience against the spread. On the otherhand Clemson could represent a new start and he would approach the job understanding the real opportunity before him; i. e. sink or swim!

Coach Shannon also has issues due to Miami and the ongoing NCAA investigation which would certainly entail his having to address program related questions at the least and having to use legal counsel as a distinct possibility in the end. Clemson, depending upon future outcomes, may not want to have the association therefore.

Go Clemson!

Jan 14, 2012, 3:03 AM

That could also explain why other schools have been avoiding him, even though he would be a great DC.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2012, 8:16 AM [ in reply to Get Bill Clark now ]

"Shannon has negative baggage and is a failed head coach with great talent."

I too disagree with this.

1 - you can't prove he has negative baggage - so don't state it.
2 - we are looking at him as DC, not as a HC. In fact, this may be a positive in that he will be a DC for a long time before anyone wants him as a HC. Think about that.

Right now - he's my #1, but I don't make decisions for this program.

Crump -- where did you see that information?***

Jan 13, 2012, 6:42 PM

Here-----------------------

Jan 13, 2012, 6:45 PM

https://twitter.com/DaveSittler

Shannon = recruiting edge

Jan 13, 2012, 7:12 PM

I just moved back to SC from MIami and I do know that Shannon would give us an unbeliveable edge in recruiting. He has the "keys" to all the highschools in S. Florida. Very well respected by the prep coaches in the area.

Re: Shannon = recruiting edge

Jan 13, 2012, 7:19 PM

Agree 100% Shannon would bring in some very good LB's and DL from South FL. Miami under him always had a very good defense. Plus Shannon knows GA and SC recruiting areas as well.

Re: Shannon = recruiting edge

Jan 13, 2012, 7:22 PM

He is a native Miami inner city guy. He has access to schools and neighborhoods that most don't. SOme of the small town coaches in the area are very protective of their kids and the areas are rough.

AND they trust Randy Shannon to come in and shoot ...

Jan 13, 2012, 7:31 PM

straight with them. Cracker Swinney or Scott may occasionally get a great player like Sammy out, but Shannon can do it routinely, especially with Miami about to get tied and gagged by the NCAA. Shannon can walk in and say look at what we're doing with Sammy... he can talk and the inner city kids will listen much more often than they do now to our lilly-white coaches. Shannon knows swagger and Clemson is in bigtime need of a swagger injection on our defense. Shannon can recruit kids with talent and swagger. GET HIM NOW DABO!!!

cracker!!11***

Jan 14, 2012, 9:44 AM

Re: That is one big PLUS.***

Jan 13, 2012, 7:34 PM [ in reply to Shannon = recruiting edge ]

Seeing that FSU is loading up...

Jan 13, 2012, 7:36 PM [ in reply to Shannon = recruiting edge ]

...and will be our main road-block to the ACCCG in years to come I think it is obvious who would be the best DC option...Shannon, who recruits well in Florida and can convince some kids high on FSU to give Clemson a look. I would be happy with any of the 3 to be honest as they are all great defensive minds, but we have to think about the fact that Tallahasee is loading up BIG TIME on defense. Shannon can give us that edge in FL that we never have really had as far as big time defensive players.

Re: Seeing that FSU is loading up...

Jan 13, 2012, 7:51 PM

Nothing to fear. Their coaching says it all. They cant coach!!!

Re: Seeing that FSU is loading up...

Jan 13, 2012, 8:30 PM

Why do ppl look for the most neg. thing on a person. So what if Clarks team let up 41 pts once. I'm sorry if Shannon, Clark, or Venables cant pitch shut outs everytime out. All 3 are great picks and we ought to be glad we're going to more than likely land one of these coaches.

Good Job

Jan 13, 2012, 8:34 PM

point for you good man

Well said. That's exactly why we need to hire Shannon.***

Jan 13, 2012, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Seeing that FSU is loading up... ]

it would mean big nast dlinemen w attitudes. the recruiting

Jan 14, 2012, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Shannon = recruiting edge ]

adv alone is enough. We don't get after qbs consistently and get shoved around ag the run. That 05 game against Miami every time we ran we wasted a play. If it were not for Whitehursts scramble for 65 we would hav had a huge negative in run yds on that day. We need Shannon

Wow. If true its almost a kid in a candy store situation.

Jan 13, 2012, 8:38 PM

I think Shannon would be a great fit. If money is an issue and we had to go with Clark I'd be fine with that too. The dude from OK would be a good one too. I just hope that it is at least one of them.

Re: Wow. If true its almost a kid in a candy store situation.

Jan 13, 2012, 8:59 PM

I'm going to be estatic with any of the hires. I dont any favorites cause they all seem to have great qualities. I trust Dabo in this situation. Chad Morris was a great hire. Honestly, we probably just seen a little bit of the play book due to first time players running it. The play-book gonna be opened up soon on both sides. Future ACC champions are coming this way and maybe a lot more.

Jan 14, 2012, 3:12 AM

Can't wait..when's the next game?
GO TIGERS!!!
:)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 14, 2012, 8:54 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow. If true its almost a kid in a candy store situation. ]

The past 5 days have been like Christmas.
AE and Freebird coming back, 3 great DC candidates for a defense loaded with talented athletes. I want it all BABY! Chad says about 75 to 80% of his offense has been installed. Some good looking kids already on campus. Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

No brainier

Jan 14, 2012, 2:18 AM

Shannon

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No brainier

Jan 14, 2012, 5:12 AM

I agree. I thought that Shannon has the best chance of hitting the ground running as well. that may or may not land us the defensive recruits still lingering out there but i do think it will help lock any defensive commits we have that may be wavering due to the coaching change. bringing in another lower level coordinator may send the wrong message. I have faith that Dabo and TDP will come to the correct decision for the program but with the names listed it would appear that we will be headed in the right direction with any hire made.

what are the odd we could land shannon as DC and clark as a positions coach to get his foot in the door in the higher level coaching ranks?

Jan 14, 2012, 8:58 AM

Oh, I really like that. Could the egos mesh? Would RS always be looking over his shoulder @ a coach in waiting? Would that cause him to be too conservative? A stimulating prospect, though. Hurry up Dabo!

Jan 14, 2012, 9:02 AM [ in reply to Re: No brainier ]

what was clarks position as a coach (linebackers,db's,etc)?

How did Shannon' D handle GTech's O?

Jan 14, 2012, 9:24 AM

Miami has tended to stay in GTs backfield the last 2 yrs***

Jan 14, 2012, 10:10 AM

Re: Football Update: Leading Candidates for Clemson DC

Jan 14, 2012, 12:46 PM

I found one..... Go Tigers !!!

Venables would be a terrible hire

Jan 14, 2012, 1:53 PM

He's never been given FULL reigns at DC. He was a figure head. Maybe a good DB coach, but we can do better....

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic