Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious question about rivalry
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Serious question about rivalry

Nov 16, 2013, 3:19 PM

I heard the guy in charge of the SEC Network being interviewed on radio the other day. It sounds like it will be highly likely the SEC will go to 9 games and the ACC had already planned to go to 9 games before deciding to wait. If you recall, TDP did was planning to drop the series with UGA due to a loss of a home game revenue if the conference went to 9 games. The future looks like 9 games for both the ACC and the SEC as these conference networks want more "product" to put on tv. A 9 game conference schedule will mean the athletic department will take a couple-million dollar hit every time an OOC home/away series is played.

Clemson is one of the few schools in the ACC trying to compete at a national level and pushing the envelope every year in facilities and coaches' salaries, etc. and there every million is important....it was important enough for TDP to intend to cancel the UGA series.

If the ACC goes to 9 games then OOC matchups with likes of UGA will be a thing of the past......this is because any BCS school will want a return game at their place and those years would mean one less game that year in DV.

What are y'alls thoughts if there were serious discussion in not playing SCAR every year?

I read some comments on this board, and I know there are these types in every fan base and rivalry, but some express what seems to be tangible hate for SCAR and it's fans.

Most all of us have friends and relatives who are SCAR fans......would it be a terrible thing if we didn't have the stress of that game every year?

I'm just curious if there began discussion that the game may not be played every year if most on here would be against it and maybe consider the possibility.

I have heard the SEC is already telling some schools to prepare not to play some rivalry games in future schedules....UGA/Auburn and UT/Bama.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think in state rivalries will still be played.***

Nov 16, 2013, 3:22 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious question about rivalry

Nov 16, 2013, 3:29 PM

I would presume the traditional end of season rivalries would still be played, but that the cross-divisional rivalries would be the ones to disappear.

As for us not playing USC every season, I would be disappointed. After all, historically that has been a celebratory weekend for us Tigers!

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Nov 16, 2013, 3:33 PM

I would say they are our only true rival. I know DS said that this wan not a rivalry, I disagree. This is the most important game every year. It's the main topic of discussion at Christmas dinner every year. I hate UGA, but I don't have dinner with any UGA fans.

Nov 16, 2013, 3:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Serious question about rivalry ]

Out of conference rivalries seem to be the exception and not the norm.

It will be interesting to see if UF and FSU continue to play that game if both conferences go to 9 games....I could see those schools dropping that game. FSU would still have the Miami rivalry game and UF probably feels they just don't need another top 10 team on their schedule.

I don't know about UGA/GT but I do know that UGA has several "rivalries" and losing that game may not mean as much as some may think.

With respect to having a challenging schedule, I don't think SCAR "needs" the game as much as Clemson but losing the rivalry game would free up the opportunity to play a home/away with anyone in the country.

Nov 16, 2013, 3:47 PM

I thought it was state law that they play.

Jo - I think you are correct

Nov 17, 2013, 9:21 AM

and I thought about that when I posted but didn't want to get into that.

Since you brought it up though, I think it would only be a matter of each school lobbying the right legislatures to get that repealed.

If say Clemson was losing 2-3 million a year and the ACC was pressuring Clemson to drop the game on an annual basis and similarly the SEC was pressuring SCAR to drop the game, I could see the law getting repealed.

Solution is to

Nov 16, 2013, 4:13 PM

stop playing the Citadel, SC State, Wofford etc. play a real schedule and leave the cream puffs to be filled out by a weak ACC.

Lou - I think you missed part of my point

Nov 17, 2013, 9:29 AM

Those OOC games are against teams that don't require a home/away agreement.

It's the teams like UGA that will require the payback game at their place. This means, as TDP said, that there is one less home game and a loss of the 2-3 million in revenue that home game brings.

When you are at a football program that spends every dollar on getting better, even a 1 million dollar loss hurts.

If the ACC goes to a 9 game schedule then some years Clemson will have 5 conference home games and some years only 4. There are only 3 games remaining on the schedule to get those home games back and one of those is a predetermined matchup against SCAR.

You can't schedule BCS teams that require home/away because you lose one of those 3 games for a home game in the "away" year of the series.....therefore you have to schedule the FCS schools that don't require a payback game at their place.

Depending on how the schedules work out there will be some years that there are potentially only 6 homes games is SCAR and another OOC BCS school are on the schedule.....this is the issue.

Re: Lou - I think you missed part of my point

Nov 17, 2013, 10:12 AM

why not make a deal with fox sports or espn and let them pick up the loss money for the visiting team.

A Clemson UGA match up is going to leave one team without the big payday - what are the networks willing to do to offset...?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

state law requires that we play South Carolina U yearly

Nov 17, 2013, 9:34 AM

http://thetandd.com/news/opinion/article_07801204-17bd-11e1-b54b-001cc4c03286.html

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic