Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious RB recruiting opinions? (Long, sorry)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Serious RB recruiting opinions? (Long, sorry)

Jul 29, 2018, 11:11 PM

I started following recruiting heavily in 2008. We had James Davis then the great Spiller joined. I remember the enthusiasm for the 5* Silver Tuna Harper but he under performed mostly. The next RB was Ellington but what most didn't realize was Ellington was and still is a stud. Andre never got the respect at Clemson he deserved following Spiller, IMHO. Then McDowell was serviceable, talented but small.

Moving forward we picked up the little guy that was dismissed. Then 3* Gallman, very underrated, one of the hardest guys ever to tackle, not easily tackled by one guy. We get several good 4* players like Choice, Fuller, etc.

But then we pull in 5* Feaster that is supposed to be a great runner and ball catcher. Unfortunately I think his injury hampered his freshman season and really waiting to see these great hands he is supposed to have. Then we get another really good 4* that nobody saw coming and being this good.

All of this to say, we continue to miss on the high rated RB's that are pretty much given NFL caliber like Gurley, Marshall, White, Ford, etc., etc. (I know I'm missing names that are obvious).

Seems like our RB recruiting kind of mimics our OL recruiting. Get a highly ranked one every few yrs but basically get a solid guy annually that gets developed over the next couple seasons. But you see schools with 1-2 highly ranked RBs recruited annually like Bama, UGA, LSU, FSU, Mich St, and Wisc.

I would think a good RB would love our environment and opportunities especially if he could play for an offense to showcase his hands as we as running?

Why have we struggled to recruit headliner RBs? Yes, our staff has done a great job developing great players and finding those underrated 3-4* RBs. It's just never a given that we will get those Silver Tuna players even when they seem to be a lock. I really thought we had Zamir last year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious RB recruiting opinions? (Long, sorry)

Jul 29, 2018, 11:22 PM

It takes tradition to pull RBs. Our tradition is that the QB will have more carries. We pull WRs but that will end if we stop throwing downfield...Kids want highlight reels and not just making blocks for the qb...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 11:26 PM

Etienne may be our best back ever by the time he leaves.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 29, 2018, 11:36 PM

IMO we don't get the "Big Time Backs" or "Big Time OL man" because we are not the traditional power run type offense. Especially given the speed at most of our skill positions. The HUNH, spread style offense that we run doesn't typically develop RB's enough or gain enough attention from NFL scouts. Of course they're are exceptions like Spiller, Gallman & others that have been drafted from other spread type offensive teams. I'd love to see us line up and just pound the crap out of teams at times, but that's not who we really are anymore.

Agree 100% about what you stated on Andre' Ellington. Kid went to high school just 15 miles from here & is a LEGEND at Berkeley High School. Great athlete, great person & was a GREAT TIGER!!!

Met AE’s younger bro @ UNC game few yrs back..

Jul 29, 2018, 11:55 PM

and sold us 2 tix outside & sat next to us later and was a pure gentleman..plus asked if we’d like a drink when he went for one..and as we left game (lost even though his bro scored TD) we all hugged.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Met AE’s younger bro @ UNC game few yrs back..

Jul 30, 2018, 12:16 AM

I went to Berkeley HS many moons ago. The Ellington family are all good people. Still very humble and in case you have missed it Andre and Bruce do a free clinic every summer in Moncks Corner. I think I heard they had almost 500 there this year and they all walk away with a little swag like a T-shirt or something.

Coach Robinson from Daniel has been at Berkeley for 3yrs I think but he has really started to turn the program around, which is a very proud program. Won the State championship a many times but won it when they were part of the states Sweet 16 against the Coach McKissick Summerville recruiting program, 30yrs ago.

That said, Andre has a cousin at Berkeley that I'm surprised isn't getting more headlines. He is a football stud but I think he is just listed as an athlete. He is either a Junior or Sr, can't remember his name but heard Robinson say he was the most gifted guy he ever saw in football. I think he is a little small like both Bruce and Andre which maybe the issue.

Jul 30, 2018, 5:31 AM

I'm a Stag , C/O 87 . Andre Ellington was the second Stag RB to head to Clemson ... can you name the first ?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 30, 2018, 7:18 AM

Seems no one has answered your question. I believe it was David Barnett C/O 82.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 10:02 AM

Very well done sir !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 30, 2018, 6:42 AM [ in reply to Re: Serious RB recruiting opinions? (Long, sorry) ]

I went to highschool with Ellington....even had a truency class with him at the end of the year lol. He was a good dude though.

I get what you're saying

Jul 30, 2018, 12:20 AM

but it's not the same as our OL recruit woes.

For starters, recruiting on the offensive line is (a) harder to evaluate and (b) requires significantly larger numbers than RBs. We can pull in one RB per class, maybe two every once in a while and be fine. You have to have a constant stream of offensive lineman going through, anywhere from two to five per cycle usually. That makes evaluating and focusing efforts just a total different game. The approach to offers, visits, and the standard for an offer is different.

Tony Elliot serves as RB coach and he decides who gets offered and oversees RB recruiting in general. It is known widely that coach Elliot is very, very selective of who he decides to offer a scholarship here. Even with a class of 25-30 players with the definite need of one RB and maybe the chance of two, but only four players offered. Compare that to Georgia offering 14 RBs in this class so far, or 21 in last class when we offered nine. That's also not mentioning the fact that the system they operate in is very RB friendly. With the chance of two primary backs and one or two secondary backs getting the snaps and a history of producing NFL RBs, it's not exactly surprising to see them succeed. Our offense isn't based around the run. Before last season, in Wayne Gallman's last two seasons starting there wasn't another RB with more than 50 touches and in his first season there was only one. Compare that to 2017 Georgia with five RBs taking 50+ rushes. In fact, the last time Georgia had less than three players with 50+ rushes was 2008. That's a whole decade of not only running often, but running multiple backs.

Think of it the same way as us with our WRs. We naturally attract WRs because we put them in the NFL and turn them into good players. The history speaks for itself and you can be sure that the recruits are listening.

To measure our offensive production by run and pass, I subtracted our passing offense ranking from our rushing offense ranking (Pass Off - Rush Off). A positive ranking means a superior rushing attack and a negative number means a superior passing attack. The magnitude of a ranking indicates how severe the discrepancy between the two.

2017: +38
2016: -67
2015: -11
2014: -44
2013: -49
2012: -20
2011: -35

You'll notice that all but one season has been a pass heavy offense. The combination of multiple running backs and Kelly Bryant's ability to run as well as his more limited ability to pass meant that for the first time since our 2011 breakout season we had a run-oriented offense. 2015 was only +11, which is very balanced, but the offense as a whole ranked #6 nationally and was absolutely dominating -- Gallman and Watson's best rushing year.

It's just hard to attract all of the top backs away from places like Alabama and Georgia because their history and system are just better for those players. We have four scholarship running backs on the roster this season and every single one of them is a 4*. That is #### good and extremely impressive. You'll notice similar situations at places like Oklahoma and Auburn. It's not like we're doing something wrong, we just don't necessarily always attract the "best of the best" guys. And that's fine. Our system doesn't run off of a stable of extremely talented backs giving teams a heavy dose of runs. We won't be that type of team any time soon either, but as long as we keep getting the guys we want we'll be fine.

I'm personally a little irked by the statement "Seems like our RB recruiting kind of mimics our OL recruiting". It's just wrong in every way. "Get a highly ranked one every few yrs but basically get a solid guy annually that gets developed over the next couple seasons". Just, no.

Since the 2010 class, we've either not taken a RB or had a blue chip player. Every season. That's impressive. That's consistent. No, we haven't gotten the top 10 guy or whatever, but we get the players. We have talented players and we have them deep.

Compared to our offensive line, it's not even close. Again, they are just different in almost every way, but still. We don't consistently get blue chip talent on the OL and we certainly don't have talent deep. We develop decently well, but the lack of true talent across the line is screaming at you when you see regular breakdowns.

Tiger 012 - impressive post +1

Jul 30, 2018, 12:38 AM

and sounds like its coming with some first hand knowledge. Still struggling with the takeaway ... are you saying we should offer a few more backs or are we doing it right from your perspective?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're doing fine

Jul 30, 2018, 12:40 AM

or just in general, there's nothing to worry about.

Sorry, first reply wasn't specific enough

Jul 30, 2018, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Tiger 012 - impressive post +1 ]

My opinion is that we may be disadvantaging ourselves a little by not even being in the running for more RBs, but we still have an extremely high hit rate and pull in very talented players nearly every cycle. Offering less players is just a choice that's influenced by two main things: roster needs and coach Elliot. We have 4 RBs on our roster right now and we'll be looking at having 4/5 next season. That's pretty low compared to most teams, especially running teams like Georgia and Alabama. Obviously, if we only need one, maybe two RBs a class there's no real reason to offer 15+ players, especially if we've already proven we can get the players even though we offer so few. Like I said in the post as well, coach Elliot doesn't like to offer a ton of players so that combined with not actually needing that many means that we don't really have a need for making lots of offers.

Even though we disadvantage ourselves a little bit, we get good players consistently and there's no reason to change how we go about recruiting RBs when we've been doing it well for a long time now.

Re: I get what you're saying

Jul 30, 2018, 12:52 AM [ in reply to I get what you're saying ]

Great feedback you should post more! Not enough genuine football conversation, gets diluted with someone looking for reasons to call someone a coot.

I don't think you should be irked at the comment of RBs seem to slightly mimic the OL or vice versa. In generic terms it does, you even kind of reaffirmed it on one of your last comments. Yes, I understand that the number of OL recruited annually changes that perspective as a whole but again generically, we seem to have headliners hooked that seem to get away at the last minute. Make the comparison of Cade Mayes who I really thought we had and then compare to Zamir White who I as well thought we had.

I am never disappointed in the RBs we recruit because we do get quality ones. I just didn't think that our offense was so far removed from a true runners game that it would deter a top guy from committing.

What I see happening in the NFL now should reinforce the type of play calling we use for RBs therefore building interest for top guys. I think Feaster and ETN's play should be growing in the eyes of NFL scouts.

Look at Alvin Kamara (another I thought we had), McCaffrey at Panthers and Tyreke Hill. All RBs with great hands being integrated into the offense all over the field. What I saw last year in the NFL just made me think we should start getting an influx of high caliber players at RB.

Re: I get what you're saying

Jul 30, 2018, 1:20 AM

Very true on the new spread running backs. But not to be nitpicks but Tyreke Hill is a wideout lol

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 30, 2018, 7:25 AM

We only lag 4 schools in RB recruiting- Bama, UGA, OSU and FSU. These schools all have a history of putting RBs in the NFL. They are all bigger schools than Clemson. They have all traditionally been national powers. Most schools would love to get the RBs we have been able to get. I have a friend that is a huge Norte Dame fan and they are all moaning about not getting good RB recruits. They wanted Chez Mellusi bad. We are fine at RB with Feaster, Etienne, and now with Dixon coming this spring and Mellusi on deck.

As far as OL, that is probably the hardest to project who will be great in college based on what they do in HS. The ones that work hardest become the best players usually. Work ethic is tremendously important here. Falcinelli ranked 535 nationally. Taylor Hearn ranked 595. Give me 10 more of those guys.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic