Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
September 1 ---- A Day to Remember
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

September 1 ---- A Day to Remember

Sep 1, 2017, 10:45 AM

September 1 is a very special day for me. First, my brother celebrates his 98th, birthday anniversary today. He lost his wife several years ago and lives alone but his two children live nearby and check on him daily. He no longer drives and uses a cane when he walks but his mind is as sharp as ever. I will call him later today and the words will be exactly the same as they have been for many years ----"Hey, how are you doing"? "I'm OK, how are you"? He was in the Air Force during WW2. We've talked about where we were stationed but never about what transpired. I don't know why, but we never have.

Sept. 1, 1942. I had just completed my physical and a battery of tests over the previous few days at Fort McPhearson in Atlanta, GA. About 40 of us were about to board a bus to return to Waycross, GA. We were lined up in a semblance of a formation when an Army Captain asked us to step forward as our names were called. About the second or third name called was Joe21. When all names had been called, there were still about 5 men remaining. Those of us who's names had been called were told to raise our right hand and repeat a few words that were asked of us. Bingo !! In nothing flat my status had been changed from that of a civilian to a Buck Private in the US Army. We were given 15 days to return home, burn or repair our bridges, and report back to Fort McPhearson. About three or four months earlier, the pay of a buck Private had been increased from $31.00 per month to $50.00 per month. WOW !!! I was going to become an instant millionaire.

Just before we boarded the bus for our return trip, my named was called again. The Captain gave me a bundle of records to deliver to the draft board in Waycross. And then more news, "you will be in charge of the group when they return in 15 days". That return trip was a "lulu" and I'll post that story sometime in the future.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: September 1 ---- A Day to Remember

Sep 1, 2017, 10:58 AM

Happy Birthday to your brother! Today is my wife's birthday as well. She turns the big three zero. Thank you and your brother for your service to our great country!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Enjoy your stories Joe...you mentioned RED HOT ointment...

Sep 1, 2017, 11:01 AM

in your last story.
You can still get it!
https://www.amazon.com/Cramer-Ointment-Penetrating-Arthritis-Tendonitis/dp/B002ZJ6XG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504277790&sr=8-1&keywords=red+hot+ointment

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All for one and one for all.

Re: September 1 ---- A Day to Remember

Sep 1, 2017, 11:38 AM

Wow Joe,
your family must have some incredible jeans.
I hope you live to be 150 so we can keep hearing your stories.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic