Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Seems to me that the BOT just played into the hands of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 62
| visibility 1

Seems to me that the BOT just played into the hands of

Feb 12, 2015, 9:10 AM

the folks they were trying to silence.

1. The noise surrounding the issue had calmed down somewhat, and they turned it back up.
2. By taking no action, they took action. They acted just like they were expected to by the folks agitating for change. This gives the folks they were trying silence an awesome tool to: raise funds; energize sympathizers; exacerbate existing racial differences and recruit.

Both sides don't realize the similarity of their stances.

Both are expending energy for letters on a building. One side is using it as a symbol to address past grievances as if changing letters on a building will change attitudes. The other side is using it as a symbol to show others that it can't be intimidated.

Both sides are using the issue to distract from issues that are more difficult to accomplish:

1. Our families are destroying themselves through selfishness and loss of moral clarity;
2. Black and White continue to maintain racist attitudes and stances that prevent true cooperation among people;
3. Changing letters on a building will not teach one more child to read, feed one more hungry stomach or mend one more broken family;

Change the name then we can focus on what really matters; healing wounds in the Clemson family, using the misplaced energy from this pointless fight to make our churches, schools, communities and families better.

Rev. King said: "The time is always right to do what is right"

Jesus said: "...love your neighbor as yourself"

The Apostle Paul said: "...It (love) always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres..."

I love my Clemson family. We can get past this. We can come together. We can love each other.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The response was terrible and will be bad PR for Clemson..

Feb 12, 2015, 9:18 AM

The right response would have been just to say that the BOT would discuss the subject. Instead David Wilkins releases a statement making him look like an old man out of touch with the year we are living in, and a stubbornness that is on the absurd side

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know...I could agree with you....

Feb 12, 2015, 9:23 AM

but then we'd both be wrong, and I'll just leave it at that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

There aren't many that agree with her...

Feb 12, 2015, 9:31 AM

thank goodness.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Many would be an overstatement.***

Feb 12, 2015, 9:44 AM

Lol! Love that. Can I steal it?***

Feb 12, 2015, 9:39 AM [ in reply to You know...I could agree with you.... ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL***

Feb 12, 2015, 1:27 PM [ in reply to You know...I could agree with you.... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Some JockStrap t-mailed me the other day....

Feb 12, 2015, 1:37 PM

almost insisting that I start acting nicer. I told him that I wouuld try to be nicer if he and his Capon cohorts would try to act more intelligent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Um...no...he released a statement that let people know

Feb 12, 2015, 10:17 AM [ in reply to The response was terrible and will be bad PR for Clemson.. ]

that the Clemson BOT weren't going to be pushed around by minority groups who want to play the role of victim.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

both sides are doing a nice job of playing victim.

Feb 12, 2015, 10:27 AM

1. the obvious one: "we're victims of racism"
2. the not so obvious one: "we're trying to get something important but these $%&m liberals won't let us!"

you are bad PR for Clemson***

Feb 12, 2015, 4:06 PM [ in reply to The response was terrible and will be bad PR for Clemson.. ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The board did just fine,,,

Feb 12, 2015, 9:23 AM

Campus groups keep casting votes and stirring it up.

Somebody needed to end it. This statement should be the final word.

Thanks Chairman Wilkins.

You teachers go teach and you students go learn.

Go Tigers.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Re: The board did just fine,,,

Feb 12, 2015, 9:29 AM

I agree. The BOT had to day something and they did. It was fair and direct and to the point. Let's move on and quit being the land of the offended which always tries to cater to the very few and loud ...

Honestly, this is the kind of debate you want

Feb 12, 2015, 9:34 AM [ in reply to The board did just fine,,, ]

on a college campus. I'd be more concerned about the future of Clemson and this country if there were no students raising a stink about something.

The students will ALWAYS have a gripe with the administration, whether it's the student athletic fee, the name of a building, or something else. And that's important for many reasons - it forces students to learn how to contend with complex issues in mature ways, it teaches that sometimes having the morally superior ground isn't enough to win the fight - you've also got to be politically and strategically wise, and sometimes the students are actually right.

I'm glad to know there are students at Clemson that aren't totally consumed in themselves and, instead, are thinking about issues that deserve thoughtful consideration. And I'm glad we have a BOT that is wise and reasoned in its response to our students.

"That's the spirit, keep 'em flying."

Feb 12, 2015, 10:58 AM

"The flags of discontent." - Taylor

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how many people named their dogs tillman?

Feb 12, 2015, 9:26 AM

has the spca & peta been notified?

oh, the humanity...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're just over-posting now, bruv.

Feb 12, 2015, 9:28 AM

You haven't been funny in a while, actually.

Just my $.02.

thanks, maybe early next month i'll pencil it in to

Feb 12, 2015, 9:29 AM

care what you think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, god help you! Please no!!! My advice to you, sir, is to

Feb 12, 2015, 9:32 AM

NEVER care what a real woman thinks.

i do not.***

Feb 12, 2015, 9:33 AM

Misspelled humanatee***

Feb 12, 2015, 10:52 AM [ in reply to how many people named their dogs tillman? ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that the same thing as a mermaid?

Feb 12, 2015, 11:51 AM

nm

I had one named Riggs, i hope he was not a rassist***

Feb 12, 2015, 1:28 PM [ in reply to how many people named their dogs tillman? ]

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

I thought that Chairman Wilkins did an excellent job, he was

Feb 12, 2015, 9:27 AM

respectful of the concerns presented to the board and felt it deserved a response stating The Board of Trustees stance on the subject. He explained why The Board felt this way and explained what was planned to truly advance the cause on campus. Now if those don't agree, that is their right but don't forget that those on the opposite side of the issue have every bit as much right to defend their stance. Good day

Dude, he did not ask Tigerking to proof read..........***

Feb 12, 2015, 9:33 AM

Seems to me the BOT did the right thing here -

Feb 12, 2015, 9:28 AM

They acknowledged the validity of the concerns of the petitioners, and they responded with a subtle and reasoned statement - essentially, we can change the name of the building, but that won't change the history behind the building or Tillman's involvement at Clemson and his 19th century mind-set. That cannot be changed, and, therefore must be accepted - warts and all.

The irony of position advanced by those petitioning to change the name is that they essentially asking the university to whitewash the past, rather than to acknowledge it, learn from it, and eventually teach from it.

the last part of your post.....well that's NOT part of their

Feb 12, 2015, 2:15 PM

agenda.

Re: the last part of your post.....well that's NOT part of their

Feb 12, 2015, 4:23 PM

That's why I said it was ironic. The outcome of their petition could actually work against their agenda.

I think you and I are on the same page, just wanted to make sure I was clear.

Re:the news media took the statement out of context

Feb 12, 2015, 2:22 PM [ in reply to Seems to me the BOT did the right thing here - ]

nm

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Re: Seems to me the BOT did the right thing here -

Feb 12, 2015, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Seems to me the BOT did the right thing here - ]

I disagree. Describing Tillman as merely imperfect is a disgrace for the university.

Feb 12, 2015, 11:58 PM

No giving into liberal losers like yourself from Austin would be a disgrace for the University. Pretending like the past never happened is a disgrace. Pretending like he isnt one of the major reasons Clemosn even exists is a disgrace.

Basically #### off I am starting to believe you are no Clemson man but just another loser #### lover hiding behind a fake screen name

null

Feb 13, 2015, 12:01 AM

Definitely an agitator.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feb 13, 2015, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Seems to me the BOT did the right thing here - ]

Are you proud that Tillman is a founding father of Clemson?

Clemson can't erase the fact that Tillman was a driving force behind the school. But that doesn't mean you have to be proud of him. I would hope Clemson is much bigger than one ardent racist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

the day you choke on a barrel of rotten peck3rs will be the

Feb 13, 2015, 3:52 PM

best day ever troll.It just can't get here soon enough.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with part of that

Feb 12, 2015, 9:47 AM

One side will certainly use this to gain attention.

However, I think the other side just wants to move on to more important things.

I read the bot statement as this. "We heard you and considered your opinion. There are 7445444 things we have to consider to improve CLEMSON. Unfortunately you're 7445445th. "

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Well $41T!!! This lowered my pulse...time for counseling...***

Feb 12, 2015, 9:56 AM

Seems to me the Clemson Board can focus on the things that

Feb 12, 2015, 10:36 AM

really matter without changing the name. I, for one, am glad the Clemson Board is not made up of a bunch of Neville Chamberlains. The Board's response was correct and appropriate.

Re: Seems to me the Clemson Board can focus on the things that

Feb 12, 2015, 10:45 AM

so it's more of a wee-wee measuring contest?

What noise have they turned back up? Are there big protests

Feb 12, 2015, 10:37 AM

again? Link?

You know, Clemson is an institution of higher learning. Part of that, I believe, means that when a portion of your student body expresses a concern worth discussing, you don't play them. You hear them and you respond to their concerns. That is what the BOT did, and I applaud it. It shows dignity for the university and respect for the students.

Even if many at Clemson think the idea is ludicrous, the methods inappropriate or motives dubious, I think the topic was worthy of discussion. And so it was.

null

"Change the name then we can focus on what really matters"

Feb 12, 2015, 11:23 AM

By complaining about the name - they are taking focus off of what really matters.

Attitudes need to change (and they are changing). When people say "I can't concentrate with that man's name on a building." - they are setting the discussion and the opportunity for change back a step (or three).

These protestors have passion and drive to make real change. Why waste that effort on changing the name on a building?

The BOTs statement was a very good measured response....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Change the name then we can focus on what really matters"

Feb 12, 2015, 12:24 PM

I agree with you about the board's response. It was very good. It is really in a no win position isn't it?

There was certainly nothing that could have been said that

Feb 12, 2015, 12:41 PM

was going to please everyone.

Re: Seems to me that the BOT just played into the hands of

Feb 12, 2015, 12:04 PM

Jesus also said to forgive as you have been forgiven.

"The only thing necessary for Tyranny to prevail,..."

Feb 12, 2015, 5:39 PM

"...is for Good Men to do nothing!"

I'm proud of our BOT for making a statement on this issue and defending their moral ground against "whitewashing" history to console every butthurt person or cause that comes along.
HISTORY CAN'T BE CHANGED!!!

The future, however, has endless possibilities....we'll be much more effective if we turn our attention there. ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

History can't be changed but it can be learned from and

Feb 12, 2015, 6:32 PM

improved upon.
Fortunately, tyranny did not prevail, but goodness and righteousness did. Ben Tillman and his ilk were defeated on the battle field and in the hearts and minds of decent people everywhere.

Re: I, still, hold him in hight esteem. He helped get two

Feb 12, 2015, 11:30 PM

find institutions in the looked down upon upstate. Thanks Mr. Tillman.

Re:" high"and" fine" before you grammarians explode.***

Feb 12, 2015, 11:35 PM

Can't talk about the future and mythologize a....

Feb 12, 2015, 6:36 PM [ in reply to "The only thing necessary for Tyranny to prevail,..." ]

person of the past and deny how evil that person was.

Re: Can't talk about the future and mythologize a....

Feb 12, 2015, 6:36 PM

Hey you took a break from your day of downvoting to post.

null

Haven't been on the board since 9:18, when I made one post..

Feb 12, 2015, 6:55 PM

and had to go to work. I have to work, so I don't have the luxury of being on the board all day and all night like you. Like I told you before, I'm not the only poster you have trolled. So you have probably about at least 10 posters that get tired of your constant trolling. Goodbye, clemtiger117. Move on, let it go.

Re: Haven't been on the board since 9:18, when I made one post..

Feb 12, 2015, 6:57 PM

so that is why your number of votes count has been going up all day....

What is even more pathetic is you spend all day downvoting people while hiding behind your little ignore button like the gigantic liberal coward you are.

Message was edited by: clemtiger117®

null

Dude, seriously get some help. It's over. Let it go.

Feb 12, 2015, 6:59 PM

Stop stalking me and trolling me. I have no reason to argue with you just for the sake of arguing.

Re: Dude, seriously get some help. It's over. Let it go.

Feb 12, 2015, 7:01 PM

Ah yes your go to when someone calls you out on your BS... They are "trolling you". Fact is your little number of votes given thing has increased all day.

It is quite pathetic you have no clue what "trolling" actually means. If you did you would realize you are by far the biggest troll on this website.

Look at your classless statements about the USC shooting as a nice example. Look at your pot stirring and race baiting over the years.

Have a nice night little troll. Go cry to the mods again.

Message was edited by: clemtiger117®

null

David Wilkins is smarter than most of us put

Feb 12, 2015, 7:33 PM

together. He can feel the political winds a well as anyone. Everything will be alright in his hands. He is a tough ole guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 12, 2015, 11:45 PM

I'm still astonished that the crimes of Tillman were passed off as mere "imperfection" That to me trivializes the horror of his crimes.

Feb 12, 2015, 11:51 PM

Good lord go away.

null

If it is Just Letters on a Building then Change the Name to

Feb 13, 2015, 9:44 AM

Coot
See how many of you would like studying there. I know I wouldn't step foot in it

Re: If it is Just Letters on a Building then Change the Name to

Feb 13, 2015, 9:46 AM

### is this Chicken talking about.

null

i imagine you've been successful avoiding a lot of buildings

Feb 13, 2015, 9:47 AM [ in reply to If it is Just Letters on a Building then Change the Name to ]

of higher learning.

gratz

Just letters on a building. Change it to Satan!***

Feb 13, 2015, 9:49 AM

a building? dood's the prince of darkness; he rocks 9

Feb 13, 2015, 9:53 AM

planes of h3ll and throws da bomb parties.

he can do more better than that.

Re: Just letters on a building. Change it to Satan!***

Feb 13, 2015, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Just letters on a building. Change it to Satan!*** ]

null

Re: Just letters on a building. Change it to Satan!***

Feb 13, 2015, 10:31 AM [ in reply to Just letters on a building. Change it to Satan!*** ]

Best laugh I had today!!

Thank you, that was hilarious....

Replies: 62
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic